The flat has been taken over by gingerbread people, which I keep mistyping as fingerbread people. There are no fingers in them. Probably. It's beginning to smell a lot like Christmas, though I'm not quite sure if Sherlock's commercial zeal is in line with the spirit of the season... Then again, going by the shops and the ads on television and everyone at work grumbling about how this toy their child absolutely has to have costs, I suppose it is.
Do you remember Furbies (Furbys)? Are they still around? I knew someone who claimed he'd had one confiscated because he took it to a meeting and it started repeating classified information. No explanation of why he took it to the meeting, or in fact of why he had it at all. Shockingly, this wasn't Murray.
Murray has broken up with his tennis-mad girlfriend, by the way, and would like you all to know that he's gloriously single again, although if the way he was moping around here eating Mrs H's biscuits is any indication, gloriously is not the right word. I only met her twice, but she seemed nice.
At any rate, he's coming for Christmas dinner, and so is Harry, and so is Clara, and so is Harry's new girlfriend, whom I haven't met yet. I imagine that will be interesting.
Lastly, have this link to dead bee art, which Sherlock showed me earlier. It's meant to draw attention to the number of bees being killed by pesticides.
Do you remember Furbies (Furbys)? Are they still around? I knew someone who claimed he'd had one confiscated because he took it to a meeting and it started repeating classified information. No explanation of why he took it to the meeting, or in fact of why he had it at all. Shockingly, this wasn't Murray.
Murray has broken up with his tennis-mad girlfriend, by the way, and would like you all to know that he's gloriously single again, although if the way he was moping around here eating Mrs H's biscuits is any indication, gloriously is not the right word. I only met her twice, but she seemed nice.
At any rate, he's coming for Christmas dinner, and so is Harry, and so is Clara, and so is Harry's new girlfriend, whom I haven't met yet. I imagine that will be interesting.
Lastly, have this link to dead bee art, which Sherlock showed me earlier. It's meant to draw attention to the number of bees being killed by pesticides.
201 comments:
1 – 200 of 201 Newer› Newest»I think he only has half commercial zeal. The other half he has is wanting enough gingerbread persons/animals left over for him to eat. (We have gingersquid, gingersnakes, gingerhedgehogs and gingerurchins too. Although the last two might be the same thing...)
So what are we cooking for Christmas lunch?
I hadn't really thought about it. Do you have plans? Can I have a ginger squid?
You will have to ask Chef Sherlock, and agree to complete a survey on which recipe you like best and why. He interrogates in a more terrifying way than I do, so be prepared to defend you choice for 15 minutes before being told you're wrong anyway.
I have no plans yet. Wait and see how many other strays we pick up?
sounds good :)
I have three ginger squid to compare...
make every bite count. I'm telling you.
What was the conclusion about the ginger squid?
I liked them all. It was highly unsatisfactory to him, I'm afraid. But I did get three ginger hedgehogs out of it.
I am thrilled that Sherlock's evaluation process is so rigorous. Now I just need to know what the ranking criteria are. Also: where and to whom he plans to sell these ginger yummies. Gingerbread pigs are traditional year round, here (at least in Mexican bakeries.) Yum.
fA
Not to sound incredibly nosy, or anything. Oh no.
Too bad about Murray's girlfriend. He seems like a good, if energetic, sort. (Do you always attract these kind of people, John? Lestrade is no slug, and then there's Sherlock . . . )
We're baking holiday banana bread here. Lots of orange & lemon peel and cloves added to the recipe. To repeat myself, yum.
fA
They're for selling at the school Christmas fair. Raising money for more science equipment for the school. I'm fairly certain that's why he's taken such an interest in it. Both of us have been thoroughly scolded for not being useful enough in his taste test.
That IS a good cause, I must admit.
The researcher's curse: independent-minded research participants.
Perhaps, since purchasers won't have the option of coming back later to buy more if they like them - it being more of a one-shot impulse purchase occasion - you should work on packaging them attractively, Sherlock. It would be awesome to sell near a hot drinks table, if there is such a thing. Sell singles unwrapped for snacks, and then sell some grouped in a baggie or otherwise wrapped, tied with a ribbon. Colored cellophane is always festive, but probably overkill for a school fair.
fA
My first reaction is the same as fA's--that is a good cause. I hope you sell lots, Sherlock, and good for you for being willing to put in the work. (And extra stars for such willing assistants!)
Sounds like you're shaping to have a lovely crowd for Christmas dinner!
fA - don't worry, Sherlock is already on the case for packaging. But he wants people who buy one loose to love them and immediately want to buy a pack. He asked if there was something like catnip for humans we could put in them...that got a resounding 'no'.
Poor Murray. Orio used to buy me chocolate and commiserate with how rubbish men are when I had bad break ups. Although I don't suppose that will help Murray.
Sounds like Murray needs some commiseration time with Harry?
Ella
I don't just remember Furbys. There are two of them in our home. This conversation once took place:
Me: (daughter), settle down in there and go to sleep.
Daughter: I can't, Mom. Furby is awake and is being obnoxious.
I went into her bedroom, collected the maniacally laughing Furby, and hid him in a shoebox (dark makes them go to sleep). Furby sang a nonsense song, belched, made vomiting noises, and went to sleep.
I don't know how one gets a Furby drunk, but my daughter managed it.
Christmas luncheon sounds like it will be memorable. Good luck selling the gingerbread. I know I'd buy one or two or five!
In case more gingerbread needs to be made, here's some inspiration for ninjabread:
http://i.imgur.com/RvjLP1g.png
Ella
So...when a person survives drug addiction, alcoholism, a chaotic family, getting stabbed in the face, prison, getting robbed at gunpoint, more fights than I can count, and a fall down concrete steps that puts him in a coma...does that person have the worst guardian angel ever, or the best?
Ella
Catnip for humans . . . that would make them want to purchase more delicious baked goods? Hmmm. Nothing legal . . .
Ella, those cookies look amazing! I don't think I could duplicate the icing effects, though.
And I think this person possibly might be covered by the old saying "only the good die young." Though it does sound that they may have had the deck stacked against them a bit with mental health or other issues. And good or bad, their guardian angel has not been dealt an easy hand.
fA
Kestrel - I kind of love the belief in the power of Mom to solve all problems inherent in that story. I am sure drunk Furbys are not in the manual.
The peak popularity of Furbys happened between my childhood & my kids' so I escaped them. Maybe I encountered them too late, but they strike me as creepy.
fA
Ella - maybe the best, with the hardest job?
Hope you're okay.
Thankfully Furby's have never featured in my life. Although I do remember a few officers trying to keep Tamogotchi alive instead of doing police work...
I can't say I've ever seen a real life furby and from the sounds of it I think that was a good thing!
Your plans for Christmas Day sound ace, a house full of people who actually want to spend time together ;-)
For anyone who likes that sort of thing, one of the commanders at the Yard has a Twitter thingy that's getting a lot of respect from officers.
https://twitter.com/policecommander
I remember the first round of Furby popularity. i was still in the Air National Guard then, working in an area that required Top Secret clearance, and they were banned within a week of appearing in stores because they were a security hazard.
Happy Christmas, everyone, btw. I hope you've been having a good year. (Mine was only really good when I was visiting England. The rest of it can kindly go back into the box.)
I had a Furby while stationed in Korea. I lived in the barracks, so no pets. It was fine so long as it didn't suddenly start babbling at 3 in the morning.
I might do individual poussin for Christmas. With many trimmings. Bacon, rosemary, wine...bit of lemon....garlic.... be a change from having a big roast bird/joint?
Can I come to you for Christmas dinner?
L - sounds like it will be amazing as usual :)
Damn. Your Christmas lunch sounds delicious. I can blame the deficits in mine, comparatively, on a fractured wrist this year, but that can't excuse the last decade . . . maybe I'll pretend it's because my usual sous chefs aren't of Mycroft's caliber, but it would be a lie!
fA
ha, it's not set in stone...but if I do poussin then it frees up the oven for cooking other things, instead of having something in there for hours.
I need to go and visit mum soon. I feel like I've been a pretty terrible son recently.
And...are we going to meet Harry's new girlfriend beforehand?
I can ask? Maybe we can all go out to dinner some night.
Just thought it'd be nice, you know, get to know her so she doesn't feel like the odd one out. Could be a bit awkward.
Probably a good idea.
I think everyone deserves to meet a 'normal' Sherlock before throwing themself into the lion's den for a full Christmas Day experience...
Holidays are very exciting...
I hope everyone had a nicely unexciting day today. :)
As far as food is concerned, I need (NEED!) latkes and sufganiyot, at any point in the eight available days. Just once for each is sufficient!
Sherlock has been designing his packaging. And has made us a festive cuttlefish, for the top of the Christmas tree we do not yet have.
As such, the whole place is covered with glitter. Which I think has a half life roughly comparable to plutonium.
Festive cuttlefish - this year's must have Christmas accessory.
I've yet to see a tree topped by a cuttlefish, festive or otherwise. You do Christmas right, by gosh.
RR - sufganiyot are the jam-filled doughnuts, yes? Those are fine, but latkes are the food of the gods. I hope you get plenty of each!
fA
Sufganiyot are deep fried, jam-filled donuts, yes. :) And I looooove latkes.
For some reason, the idea of a festive cuttlefish fills me with delight.
are all doughnuts not deep fried?
Real ones, yes. But (like bagels) an awful lot of 'em are just baked.
(Not that bagels should be fried--they should be both boiled and baked.)
Baked doughnuts are just plain wrong.
I know! But most of the cream-filled ones around here are baked.
Most of the cream filled ones around here are actually filled with something almost entirely unlike instant pudding/custard. Blech.
Now I want a doughnut...
rsf, based on what you said about 2014, I'd say you deserve a doughnut. A good one!
Time for me to get serious about Christmas presents. The hard ones, the easy ones are taken care of. Blech.
fA
If it will brighten up your day, anyone who needs it, you can imagine the DI singing:
'It's all about the case,
about the case, no troubles,
Yeah, it's pretty clear, you will do stir,
And you can shake it shake it,
At her Majesty's pleasure.'
To the tune of that new song, as he sets up the new case board. Are you sure Sherlock didn't put something in that gingerbread?
Oh, have one, rsf--just call it cultural sensitivity!
Sally--All about that Bass? You have DEFINITELY brightened my day!
God I love your contributions, Sally Donovan. Never stop.
(was there a DI booty shake?)
fA
He was dancing, yes.
Thank-you. The mental picture is complete. ;-)
fA
It's a catchy song. I just like to spread a little cheer.
Well, after all, 'tis the season!
So, Clara and Harry and Harry's new girlfriend?
Yes. Indeed.
After all, what could posibly go wrong?
That's why i thought we should meet her. At least we'll know what to expect... and she won't feel like the odd one out on the day.
I'm sure it'll be fine.
So when is this epic Christmas Fayre, do you have the weekend to bake or are your evenings booked all week. ;)
Speaking of doughnuts, as we were, inspired me to re-watch an 80's classic movie last night - "It's those jellied doughnuts, they call to me in the night. Hollywood, come and get me, Hollywood." Anyone recognise which one it is? ;) - although the thought of 'jelly' (in our sense of the word) with doughnuts just seems so wrong. ;)
Have a great day everyone. :)
It's on Friday, Joolz. Mycroft's carol service is saturday morning. So we're hitting the festive season head on at the end of this week.
Well...there's an active threat to kidnap and kill a police officer on the one hand...on the other, two officers had someone give birth in the back of their patrol car. It's a mixed job, this.
There have been 3 generations of cops in my family. It's a job that can shape your view of the world, all right. It's nice to hear about someone being able to feel not only that they're helping, but that they're part of a happy event.
fA
Yeah, doesn't happen very often!
You lot are all spookily quiet. I hope you're not all out trying to buy my Christmas present - there's no need. ;)
*cancels lovehoney order*
Oh, Nameless, if you've already gone to the trouble, I'd hate to put you to even MORE trouble cancelling it.
I'll just make sure Sherlock doesn't open any parcels addressed to me ;)
Fickle, Lestrade. Fickle...
...okay, now I've been to see the site (away from young prying eyes), and...some of that stuff is quite alarming. Especially the dismembered torsos! That's one thing I've never found during a premises search...I mean, I've found real dismembered torsos, but never ones like that ;)
What site, L?
The one Nameless is ordering my...er..John's...er....our Christmas present from. (I'm assuming Nameless would never buy me something without getting something for Doc Hotson to enjoy too. She seems far too polite for that.)
Ah, I see.
(Or rather, I refrain from seeing... ;D)
Dismembered torsos! Heavens above, I was thinking more like this or maybe (given your penchant for a nice pair of pants), this...
My burdensome task is to choose holiday wines from those 20% off this week only. "Waste not, want not" is going to be an impossible standard I fear. Not enough wine drinkers available for the tastings. And the doctor was quite clear that falling on my wrist before it heals would be Not Good.
Work is its usual swirl of unnecessary anxiety as we move offices. We're not providing life-saving services. I spend a good bit of each day nodding and murmuring sympathetically while strangling the desire to say "for fuck's sake get a grip!"(Hmm. Perhaps it's time to quit 'tasting' before I say less diplomatic things.)
Christmas shopping almost done. Sorry L. You seem not to have been on the list. Best rely on Nameless.
fA
Squeaking truncheon...
... although, some of those torsos do look impressively multi-functional....
Oh dear god Nameless! John's Christmas sweaters do not need that kind of competition!
fA
p.s. define "torso"
I do not think it means what you think it means.
fA
I might do the second one for Trades descriptions - there is NOTHING sexy about that!
And I've had enough truncheon jokes to last me this lifetime and the next.
You could buy John these:
http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=27404
But then I might never find important parts of him again ;)
(worryingly, there are items on that site I would have worn in my youth!)
Well, when we're trying to find them, we tend to define torso as the main 'trunk' of the body. Anything that isn't an arm, leg, neck or head, really. So Chest/abdomen.
So...what do you think it means?
I for one take a great deal of comfort in having been young before everyone carried a phone equipped with a camera.
fA
Oh, I'd agree, L. Didn't see so many chest/abdomens on that site. No doubt looking on the wrong page.
fA
Hmm.. those camo boxers should also be done under the Trades descriptions. Even Tom of Finland would go "hang on, that's a bit unrealistic"
John - Perhaps something quieter, if you think the squeaking might be distracting?
fA - You are indeed. You will be in no doubt when you see them.
Found 'em!
fA
After some mature consideration I've decided that that site probably isn't the best one to use for the rest of my Christmas shopping. Back to socks for everybody then ;)
On the contrary, SH, i think it would be an excellent eye-opener for some. And an interesting experiment to find out what they did on receipt of such a gift.
True - and I might never have to see the in-laws ever again.
The more immediate members of the family would just roll their eyes and say "Really, Mother!"
Free condoms at a certain purchase threshold makes an interesting change from the free shipping offers more typical of the season.
SH - your family members sound much like mine. ;-)
fA
It pays to have your good customers not catch things, very sensible I would say.
You can keep the freebies then, Nameless. Or give them to Mycroft! ;)
Too kind, Lestrade... not that I actually need them either, though.
I shall not embarrass Mycroft by asking if he could make use of them :-p
How terribly kind of you to think of me, Lestrade.
No bother, Mycroft.
Nameless - I think studying currently has his heart ;) Although I could be wrong!
So, it's Christmas Jumper Day tomorrow. I live in fear of what my husband will wear...
I've been saving one.
is that why there's that sparkly glow emanating from the chest of drawers?
if Mycroft found someone to fall in love with and everything could he have a BABY???
I love Christmas jumper day but sadly I have to wait until next week for ours :-( The baby has a Santa suit and the kids have reindeer jumpers and antlers and apparently they are going to pull the pram to school and pretend to be Santa and his reindeer :-D
L - might be...
Sherlock--Well, he could, but then he'd have to take care of the baby, which would make finishing school difficult.
Sherlock - yes, in theory. Although the 'everything' is rather more important to the baby-creation than the 'falling in love'. However, Mycroft might be busy doing other things right now.
Danger - I fear one day you'll somehow find some sort of animated musical christmas jumper which leaves a trail of snow behind you or something.
I do not believe there is a willing participant to aid me in the production of an infant, Sherlock, and I cannot imagine there will be for the foreseeable future.
I hope your gingerbread menagerie has been produced to your satisfaction for the Christmas Fair tomorrow.
I shall wear my new penguin jumper to work tomorrow. It's our Christmas do tomorrow evening, and as most people will be going straight from work, they'll be wearing their jumpers to that too.
Anonybob, I love the idea of Santa and his reindeer.
Oh yes, how did the wares for sale turn out? I imagine there will be a certain novelty value to some of the less usual animals.
A photo of the Christmas jumper would be appreciated, if possible. Some of us have already seen a nameless model wearing a Santa thong. Nothing could really be sillier than that, surely.
Mycroft, your graciousness in the face of discussion about you by your family & the Internet is admirable.
fA
Also: Pandabob, your children sound like they'll be flat out adorable! Hope you get a picture to warm your heart once they get too old to throw themselves into these things.
fA
So, Mycroft, I've spent quarter of an hour picking icing out of your brother's hair and trying to explain that test-tube babies aren't actually grown in test tubes of ever-increasing sizes.
John had to come to my rescue in the end.
And yes, AnonyBob, your kids do sound adorable!
the best bit about the Santa and the reindeer thing SH is that they haven't (yet) given me instructions that have to dress up :-D
I have so many 'adorable' pictures of my kids fA that when they're older I might just be able to make them feel as uncomfortable as Mycroft must feel about some of the questions that are asked around here ;-)
I hope you've had a reasonable evening gentlemen and that good sleep happens for all when the time comes :-)
...I have finally finished icing approximately a million gingerbread objects.
Just in time to go to bed and be re-woken mere moments later by Sherlock up early to put them all in bags.
And I wouldn't have it any other way ;)
(John, there's a gingerbread...something...here which needs you to eat it, because I've inadvertently iced it in a way which makes it look too phallic for a school Christmas fete.)
...Having seen it, I'm less than convinced that it was inadvertent, but I will eat it anyway, thanks.
For next year when squids are passe....
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/174768628/3d-printed-anatomical-human-heart-cookie
Good luck with the big sale today, Sherlock. I'm sure your gingerbread creations will sell amazingly well with all the effort you've all put in on them. Have fun. :)
Hope everyone survives the sparkle that may be John's jumper. :)
Have fun today guys :-)
Good luck with the selling Sherlock.
Looking forward to hearing about your sale Sherlock.
Enjoy Christmas jumper day, all those of you taking part.
Have fun at the Christmas fete, all. I hope the gingerbread sale goes well, and that John's jumper is suitably fabulous :-)
I hope the packaging went smoothly. Have fun fete-ing!
Sherlock has done brilliantly. Everyone did. A lot of fun. And John's jumper was well admired...
I will say Sherlock's sales tactics were a touch..aggressive. And possibly not always totally truthful. But... Well. For a good cause?
Congratulations, Sherlock! How many gingerbread critters did you sell?
Also congratulations to John's jumper and L's mad icing skillz. :)
How much untruth can there be in hawking gingerbread? Was there much stock left over?
Glad it went well, hope everyone is now thoroughly in the holiday spirit!
Shall The Jumper make an appearance at the carol service? Or is it not sufficiently Harrovian?
fA
I sold all of them and ate a mince pie AND had mulled wine too and it was good and there was some singing and loads of people liked John's jumper and Lestrade brought me some antlers and I wore them.
Antlers at Christmas are cool - for people. I´ve seen a car "wearing" antlers. One on/at each front window. Imagine an older yellow convertible standing forlorn at a small side street... (yes, it was just a few days ago - no, I didn´t return from a Christmas party :-)
I feel I should add it was non-alcoholic mulled wine, for any strangers reading.
I'm about to make us chai-tea and rum hot toddies though. Well, the adults amongst us....
Congratulations on selling them all Sherlock! That's great.
Hot drinks that smell wonderful are perfect for the season!
I am almost done with Christmas shopping. Now to decorate. I'll be getting the tree in 4 or 5 days and I want it to come home to a properly festive temporary home!
Hope everyone else is able to concentrate on such happy activities.
fA
Congratulations on the sale, it's great that you sold it all and everyone had so much fun, even the jumper. ;)
Good luck with the Carol Concert today. Are you part of the singing, Mycroft, or just watching with the others. Have fun whichever. :)
Of to the Brum German market so that should be nice and festive. Have a great day everyone. :)
I should add...240 was a bit beyond us (well, me), even though Mrs Hudson had helped him since school ended! Still, there were plenty, people enjoyed them.
And we've just been to Church, where the young boys in the choir were, as expected, outstanding. And we all sang...some more enthusiastically than others. Traditional carols, mixed in with the inevitable chruch-related things...
Silence, prayer time...Sherlock 'Why are your eyes open?' Me: 'Why are yours? Shh!' etc.
heh, one of the best things about this time of year is all the extra opportunities for singing. :)
and cookies.
S
I nearly always pray with my eyes open - shut them and either my mind wanders or I fall asleep.
I shall confess I don't pray - but nor do I want small boys who can't whisper quietly enough to quiz people when others are ;)
Home now, house full of creatures, great and small. And the threat of no Christmas tree hanging over anyone who doesn't get stuck in and clear up the living room so we have space for one!
I can't believe - and I can believe a lot of what humanity does to each other - but I can't believe someone on the M25 shifted a dead body to the edge of the road and drove off.
That was the most horrendous part of this awful, tragic story.
I mean who on earth does this?! And why?
Is there anything this God- awful human can be charged with, legally? And if not can we find and publicaly shame them...
Yeah, failing to stop and failing to report - although max sentence is 6 months, so really not much in the scheme of it. Potentially stopping on the motorway, too. But that would be really grasping at straws.
I think public shaming would be worse than a possible 3 months inside.
I just can't comprehend who would do such a thing, really.
Good job on your gingerbread-critter sales, Sherlock, I'm sure your school is very pleased!
It sounds like much enjoyment was had at both the fete and the concert/church service!
We have a tree!
And a diamante encrusted reindeer....
and no taste, clearly.
Yay for sparky reindeer!
(Does its nose light up? ;D)
And the tinsel, don't forget all the tinsel. As if you could...
i'm going to start wearing sunglasses indoors.
Has the flat been made sufficiently festive?
I would say 'overly' festive. And the tree has already nearly been felled by a Canine/Feline combo killer move.
Calm has been called for. But sadly seems to be deaf...
one of the dogs is wearing Sherlock's antlers, asleep, taking up most of the floor, and drooling on the rug.
Awww.
It's FESTIVE! :)
festive drool. yes.
I was thinking of the antlers, but you could always add a bit of red or green food coloring to the drool...
I think the dogs are about the size of reindeer. Maybe we could lend them to Santa, use up some of their energy.
But do they fly?
This all sounds perfectly festive to me. I am inspired to finish this project for work ASAP (instead of spreading it over the next 3 days) so I can finish decking my halls. There are really not nearly enough lights up yet.
Is the tree still standing this morning and as bedecked as when you left it?
Did the tree last the night? ;-)
I'm leaving my tree as long as possible partly in the hope that a small person doesn't pull it down before the big day and partly because putting the Christmas tree up brings out the singing frogs and they get rather annoying in the end. ;-)
The tree survived the night. Wether it will survive the day is another matter. Mycroft is Tree Guardian. Although he also needs to go and talk to his employer and see if he's wanted.
The tree has also survived the day. And I have some hours to work at the deli, so will not be under John's feet too much.
The dogs, however, will endeavour to be under his feet in my stead.
Furry deputies!
This conversation made me think of this
Thank you, Nameless, I needed that laugh! Hee.
Good for you, Mycroft, it's always satisfying when an employer wants you back.
Nameless - that picture is currently stuck on our fridge, courtesy of Anthea the other day! It seems great minds think alike...
The house is surprisingly intact. My sanity is waning fast. It's like some form of torture being in here at the moment.
It's beginning to look/feel/sound/smell a lot like Christmas?
It's all a bit bright and twinkly. Well, we've toned it down now the main instigator is in bed. Lights on the tree now just 'on' instead of 'on and flashing'.
People who don't get migraines can sometimes not realise how disturbing flashing lights, especially in the peripheral vision can be.
To be fair, almost everything Sherlock gets up to is most disturbing when in your peripheral vision ;) He should be kept front and centre at all times.
If someone has a spare week I could have I'd be very grateful. Work is ridiculously busy, it appears to be Christmas next week and all I want to do is go back to bed.
I would also like a spare week, please, to anyone handing them out.
Let's see. I have been insufficiently (by sherlock's standards) festive at a friend's house, decorating their tree.
My friend who got hurt is out of his coma, they're talking about moving him to a rehab hospital. Another friend's 3-yr-old got diagnosed with leukemia, though, and my asthma got bad enough to send me to the hospital, so all in all I am completely done with 2014. I would like to move Christmas to mid-january and just skip ahead to 2015.
Oh, and it's not snowing. It should be snowing.
Ella the Grumpy
It's a trend! Usually the week before Christmas is a 'dead' week - I work at a university, the students are mostly gone and many staff & faculty take leave. This year, though, we're moving offices over the holiday week, so everyone decided to resurrect & try to complete all the "pending until it gets more important" projects rather than move them. It's been ridiculous.
That plus my bum wrist means my home is Grinch-like in its under-decoration. Tomorrow or Thursday is Tree Day. I hope to finish the non-tree lights by then. I am all about the lights.
Ella - This has been a hard year for a number of folks in my circles, too.I hope your friend makes a good recovery. I hope YOU don't have any more asthma drama and your friend's child is one of the many childhood leukemia patients with a happy outcome. Sending you warm thought-hugs.
fA
I hope you feel better, Ella, and that work eases up like NOW, sh and fA.
And tonight is the first night of Chanukah, so happy Chanukah, everyone! (Have a latke--potato pancake--or two! Because they're yummy. :) )
Oh, and Happy Hanukkah , RR! I hope you have a few children in your circles young enough to be a bit excited about it! And that the latkes & sufganiyot are delicious.
fA
Hope 2015 is better for everyone who wants it.
Certain parts of downtown Denver are being evacuated due to a "gas leak" that I'm thinking is probably actually a supervillain. Possibly aliens. But probably a supervillain.
Ella
Happy Chanukah, ReRe.
I hope 2015 is better for you and yours, fA and Ella (and Ella, if that is a supervillian, I hope it's one of the slightly crap ones)
SH - yeah, I'm knackered right now, everything's a mad rush before Christmas, I've got people wanting everything yesterday because they've suddenly realised that it's Christmas next week, and loads of unexpected but urgent work suddenly appearing. OTOH, if everything works out, I'm on holiday from Thursday lunchtime until January 5th :-) Unless I pop in next week to get some work done, of course...
Well I confess I'm looking forward to Christmas. After missing last year, I'm going to be all over it this year :)
I'm glad you're looking forward to it Greg, sometimes I think that adults lose the fun of it in all the stress of being 'properly' organised when really as long as you're with people you want to be with, have a warm house and something to eat for dinner you don't need much else :-D
I hope everyone has as good a day as possible :-)
I agree, AnonyBob. I don't care if we don't have any gifts, and just had cheese on toast for dinner the fact we're all together is the best bit. And having soent last year at work i'm very much looking forward to squeezing every bit of fun out of the day this year.
You two have the right spirit. I usually time-shift our Christmas gathering to a nearby day so that we can all be together (there are competing family ties) and no one ever complains.
fA
I think a lot of people get caught up in the "have to's" of Christmas and forget that it's really, in the end, about being with those you care about. This year, for example, my mom and I will spend a good chunk of the day itself taking care of an elderly lady who is an invalid. She just got home from the hospital and can't really do anything for herself, so needs constant care. It will still be a good holiday, because I'll be with my family, and she'll be with her's, and that's all that really matters.
You and your mom sound like a great team, Pip.
We're pretty swell bunch around here, aren't we? I overlook how many decent people there are, doing the decent thing, sometimes kind of bumbling through but still trying. It's easy to forget either because the awful things make such a big impact, or just because we're tired.
fA
Well, I just finished work twenty minutes ago, but now all I've got to do is a couple of short meetings tomorrow, then it's the office do, and two glorious weeks off to chill out and enjoy the festivities. Amazon are doing all the hard work on delivering pressies, I do still have to write some cards, but we'll get the tree this weekend and then slump into a week of food and friends and alcohol and each other :-)
I had too many miserable Christmases as a kid - I refuse to have any more with the boys and John around ;)
Our work do is tomorrow...I fear that Friday will be a miserable, miserable day though.
Sounds like a excellent appraoch, Lestrade :-)
I hope Friday is bearable.
I love your thinking Greg :-)
good luck with after party day ;-)
Pip, you and your mom are doing a beautiful thing.
I only know Christmas from the outside, but it seems to me that there's a lot of a very lovely holiday spirit showing here--family, friends, fun, and love. What could be more worth celebrating? :)
(We had latkes yesterday, and sufganiyot today--hey, I forgot food! ;D)(And we're having a family do at my sister's on the weekend, which I am so looking forward to. :) )
Hope you have fun at your do today, Greg. Is it just your team or a general Met thing to which John is invited too. Enjoy it anyway - you should at least get the best fun out of it before the misery of tomorrow's hangovers kick in.
We'd definitely like to hear any interesting stories of the evening, Sally. ;)
Have fun to all the other party goers this evening too. :)
Thanks...the party is in a pub, so anyone can turn up, really. I'm off down there in a minute. Before anyone is too drunk to remember my generosity at the bar come the next year ;)
I hope you have fun Greg and that no one too odd turns up to join the party ;-)
Enjoy, L!
Does that mean I can come? PLEASE
I don't think you'd find it very entertaining, Sherlock--it'll just be a lot people drinking a bit too much.
Sorry Sherl, you can't. & thanks, it's good, and muled wine!
I presume that means the grapes were trodden by a sort of donkey.
Don't call me Sherl and John let me eat mincemeat straight from the jar.
There you go, Sherlock--just people drinking a bit too much!
What is mincemeat? I've heard of it, but I've never had any.
ReRe: mincemeat is a sweet pie filling, made of dried and fresh fruits, shredded suet (or a veggie alternative), sugar, spices and (usually) alcohol. The recipe here has a pic along with a typical sort of recipe.
Lestrade - hope you're having fun :-)
I am! And will be a good boy and not home too late. But there's singing...so I'm singing... and because I'mreally bad at darts.
Thanks, Nameless! That does sound like something that would be pretty nice to eat straight from the jar.
Singing is good!
Yeah, John just stick on of those huge dog's beds at the bottom of the stairs for him is probably best
Uh oh...
I can assist John in bringing him up the stairs, Sally.
Or at the least, I can order the dogs to do so.
It is nice to think that L. has enjoyed his evening. And possibly contributed greatly to the entertainment of others. May the morning bring few, if any, regrets.
(Tree! Tree! I have a Tree!)
fA
fA
Everyone just needs to be quiet and still today.
I'm sure the criminals will oblige Greg but I wouldn't count on your family or your colleagues ;-)
I suspect that half is colleagues will do so, anonybob. But you're right regarding the other half and family ;)
Hope the criminals are cooperating, L. I'm sure you'll be fully functional by the time it's time to go home, If maybe in need of a nap.
Hope everyone's day goes well.
fA
A successful celebration, then, L?
(Feel better.)
So far surviving on the care package my husband have me (waiting on the kitchen table when I fell out of bed this morning, note saying 'to help you feel human, love you, my idiot') contains fluids, painkiller sect. Just off to have a fry up in the canteen.
I felt sure your doctor would provide the needed care. You certainly did marry well. ;-)
fA
Post a Comment