Thank you, Nicky!
The banal details of our shopping trip clearly can't compare to this, so I'll just mention that Mycroft got a shirt with a pattern on (still very tasteful, but I think every single one he owns is solid colour but this), and Lestrade talked me into jeans that are probably too young for me and failed to talk me into ones with some sparkly thing on the bum.

165 comments:
ohh....God. NICKY!!
Right. Think positive...
You can't see the miniskirt.
That's it. I'm all out of positives.
You can see the gold polka dotted blouse though...
You can...hush. Or something.
I had actually forgotten how terrifying I looked.
And the pretty, pretty earrings.
And the five o'clock shadow...
You look upset, Lestrade. New pair of high heels?
Earring! Singular.
I can't help being so manly. My stubble beats all make up.
DW - They were bloody painful! But I think I'm just trying to look sultry or something.
And the hair, I'm impressed...
~A from NW
That is a wig, right?
That's not as bad as I was imagining Greg ;-) (you see sometimes letting us see the photo is better for you than letting our minds do fill the gap!)
Mini skirt is a bit more disturbing though and please tell me you had some lovely heels to go with the outfit. Were you a tights or stocking man? ;-)
Anony
Yes!
I think I've denied having long hair on here before. Although I suppose I have had long-ish hair. But not this long!!
Anony - I would hate to see what you were imagining!
Yes, mini skirt, heels, fishnets and suspenders.
I mean, once you've gone that far, you may as well go the whole hog...
Or that curly...
I'm sure your legs looked just fabulous, whatever you were wearing on them. Fishnets perhaps?
Ha. I knew it.
You know me too well, dear doctor.
If you could see inside my head you would be very very scared ;-)
I'm impressed to be honest, there aren't many people brave enough to do something like that!!
thanks Nicky ;-)
Anony
It really wasn't brave - it was a Tarts and Vicars party. Admittedly, not that many blokes decided to go as tarts...
And believe me, your head couldn't imagine anything as bad as how I looked by the end of the night!
You know, Lestrade, I don't think 80s make up looked good on anyone. Don't feel bad ;)
You are much better looking as a bloke, but one can't be great at everything!
Lestrade, I think you look gorgeous.
That is never you. Wow. If you had posted that out of context of these blogs I could have looked at it all day and not realized it was you.
vicar would have been so much worse ;-)
I think it's unfair that someone can look so good as a women when they already look so good as a man!! you must just have a talent for it ;-)
Anony
It's not that bad really - I mean, the 80s aspects are bad, but overall, it could be worse.
Ro - I think I'm glad about that!
SH - That's very kind.
KHolly...it is, unfortunately. But I'm probably glad it's not obvious!
Anony - you're also very kind.
Danger - it really could be. I am SO glad it's not a full length picture. You might have wanted me to dress like that all the time ;)
I don't think they'd appreciate it at work somehow.
They couldn't discriminate against me.
Although I'd have to wear more sensible shoes, for chasing people and stuff.
How unsensible were they?
I don't know, the miniskirt would give me pause too... You can't really run in those either...
~A from NW
Well, for me, a clumsy bloke who'd never worn them before, very unsensible.
A - I suppose I was taller than the average girl...so it was very short. I don't think it would have been too difficult. I can see how if it had been longer, that would have been very awkward.
I feel like I'm scarring you all for life, putting these images in your head.
I think Sally would have a thing or two to say if you turned up to work in six inch heels, I don't think she'd mind the dress and make up but I'm sure heels are against regulations ;-)
Do you do much dressing up John or would you have gone as a vicar?
Anony
Definitely a vicar.
I hope they weren't actually six inches. That sounds lethal.
Nicky - thank you :-D
John - Thank you so much for posting that! I'm slightly disappointed you didn't get sparkly-bum jeans though...
Lestrade - given it was the 80's that's much less bad than I feared. Yeah, you did wear more make-up than me - and looked better for it too, annoyingly :-p I think it's the blusher that does it, brings out your cheekbones. I assumed after you refused to answer yesterday that it was stockings and sussies, not tights :-)
Nameless - I feel sometimes like these shops should have an over-thirty section...but to be honest I probably would've shopped there when I was twenty, too.
I feel like I'm scarring you all for life, putting these images in your head.
Good looking bloke in make-up, heels and flashing his legs? You don't want to know about the images in my head :-p
Danger - They weren't, but they were still lethal!
Nameless - I did grudgingly admit, somewhere up there, that it was indeed fishnets.
I'm certain I didn't look better than you though!
And the jeans weren't a practical suggestion. I just enjoyed the excuse to stare at his bum (like I needed an excuse).
Credit where credit's due, Lestrade. I'm impressed at the heels. Our dress uniform requires 2 inch pumps, and I look like a drunk giraffe in them.
You'd have made a good pair then John.
I have a friend who goes to work everyday with six inch heels on and she somehow runs around after a class of 5 year olds in them! I have no idea how she does it.
Chasing murderers might be beyond her though ;-)
Anony
John - I sometimes go shopping for jeans, find a pair I like, then realise that I'm six inches too short, considerably more than six inches too fat, and a couple of decades too old for them. At least you don't have the first two problems, and you've still got a few years to go for the last one :-)
DW - I spent most of the night acting the part, draping myself over people..thereby not falling over as much. And after a decent amount of drink, lost them completely.
And had to explain that to the guy who'd leant them to me a few days later.
Never try to explain to an angry transvestite that you've lost his gold stilettos. Or at least, not without body armour.
Greg - I wouldn't say "scarring," more like "food for thought"? Anyway, that's why I wear long, loose skirts and low heels. I speak from experience when I say you can sprint over cobblestone in that outfit. You don't really want to fall, though...
John - Anything above 3 inches sounds lethal to me!
~A from NW
~A from NW
'Never try to explain to an angry transvestite that you've lost his gold stilettos. Or at least, not without body armour'
Now that is a 'Lestrade law' to live by, we should make a list of them ;-)
Anony
There's a "Doc law": If Lestrade says it, don't Google it.
I definitly follow that one DW, well not always actually but I have been warned so it's all my fault ;-)
Anony
If more shoe shops sold size 10 sparkly stilettos then poor defenceless young men wouldn't be put in danger by needing to borrow them in the first place.
You're going to have to start a campaign Greg, or set up your own shop ;-) kinky boots and all that!!
Defenceless??? I don't believe you've ever been that ;-)
Anony
Greg - If you're wearing pointy shoes that can, theoretically, be used as a weapon (when you're not wearing them)...I don't think defenceless would be quite the proper term. ;)
~A from NW
Anony - I have, believe me. Dark days, long before I had a Doc and two geniuses on my side - not to mention everyone else here, and around us.
A - I was defenceless facing him to explain their loss, though!
Ok I know that sorry :-(
I really didn't mean it like that but I should have thought more carefully about what I was saying Sorry.
Sorry
Anony
Don't be sorry! I mean - don't feel bad. Sorry, I didn't mean for that.
Anyway, I'm opening a flower shop, not a shoe shop, when I leave the force :)
I'm sorry for speaking without engaging my brain, that was completly my fault not yours :-(
Will you be doing wedding flowers, bunches for lovers and massive arrangements?
I think you'd make a very good florist but you make a better detective so stick with that for now :-)
Anony
...
Actually, L, that picture put me in mind of Tom Hanks in "Bosom Buddies". Only you look a bit better, if that's the word. :D
Did you make pizza today, or is that for tomorrow (today when you read this)?
Really, please don't feel bad!
Massive arrangements...hmmm. I don't know - anything anyone wants! Obviously John has to be my sidekick, or it'll never work.
Having Googled Tom Hanks...thanks, I think?
Pizza was today. Wasn't sure we'd have time for it all tomorrow before Mycroft heads back.
Anyway, I'm opening a flower shop, not a shoe shop, when I leave the force :)
Not a haberdasher?
I don't any more :-)
I can just imagine you two arguing over roses and carnations and simply deciding to use both because you're both to nice to let the other one lose the arguement ;-)
Anony
A haberdasher...measuring all those inseams? Don't think so. Anyway, you lot all mock my fashion sense!
Dress makers? ;-)
Anony
Ha!
No, I assure you, I'm far more at home among pansies and love-in-a-puff than clothing.
I believe you on that ;-)
Anony
And I should go to sleep.
Prepare myself for Sherlock seeing that picture in the morning.
At least Mycroft's reaction will probably be trying to pretend it doesn't exist. Sherlock won't pull his punches...
Good luck with Sherlock :-) if you think we've been bad you won't know what's hit you ;-)
Anony
thanks, I think?
You may think. :) (Tom Hanks has a reputation for being as nice as he is talented.)
(And I imagine Sherlock will be more curious than anything. But we'll see. Good night!)
I think you looked... very 80s-ish. Honestly, I think all anyone has to do is look up Boy George 80s era and everything else just kind of falls into place. I loved that decade.
Your eyeliner was amazing, but the high collar of the blouse is what really does it! ;-)
Had to be high. Because I was NOT about to shave my chest, and if it'd been low, given how short my skirt was, I may as well just have gone in the buff.
I doubt anyone else would have complained.... ;)
Because I was NOT about to shave my chest, and if it'd been low, given how short my skirt was, I may as well just have gone in the buff.
I think you could give Doc a run for his money WRT oddest sentences you've typed in your life.
Hmm... not sure I can beat him denying to be party to sexually generated goldfish...
I think I ate too much ice cream after dinner, on some sort of sugar high. Don't know why else I'm not asleep.
Well, we're always ready to keep you company.
Maybe you can give us makeup and fashion tips. *ducks*
I think today has proven that it's Nicky you want for make up tips, and Mycroft for fashion.
Oh, I dunno--you have a certain je ne sais quoi, a verve, a daring...
Well, yknow, I have a creed I live by...have... a good time... all the time.
When the outside matches the inside, that's Style!
Really? Don't know much about style, but I believe virtually everything I read, and I think that is what makes me more of a selective human than someone who doesn't believe anything.
If believing all or nothing are the choices, definitely all. :)
Well, the law of averages says you'll survive...and for one thing that goes wrong, a hundred go right. But that's not to say I haven't had my visionary moments. I've taken acid seventy... five, seventy-six times, so I've had my moments in the sky.
Right...I feel bad now, that all I've done all night is quote Spinal Tap and DW was the only one who was keeping up, and Sherlock will be attacking me for pancakes in about 3 hours, so I really do have to try and sleep. I sleep two or three hours a night. There's no sex and drugs for Greg. Do you know what I do? I find lost luggage. I locate mandolin strings in the middle of Austin! I cook pancakes for geniuses...
Feel less bad, Lestrade. I have three homework assignments to do tonight and I've done none of them.
Good thing you're off tomorrow. Makes naps in the afternoon more acceptable. :)
Are you wearing your hollow wood t-shirt?
Please tell me you are still quoting Spinal Tap. (I did say--or at imply--that I haven't seen it, right?)
DW - It's exactly medically accurate. It's what I sleep in sometimes.
RR - yeah, sorry. Although, well, I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I weren't under such heavy sedation.
No, it's fine... *bumps Spinal Tap to top of queue*
Well... if Frank Sinatra says it's okay...
Seriously, RR, we'll probably never spend an entire night quoting it again. I wouldn't worry about it!
When John reads this he may do another strain-inducing eye-roll.
Mmmhmm, "probably". (I wouldn't say worried, but I feel I may have missed out on something--might as well give it a try!)
I was wondering, L--how's your new paint job wearing on you, now you've lived in it a while? Does is make you feel more your room--or well, I hope it doesn't bring up less-than-pleasant thoughts or anything...?
Well, Lestrade, you're in good company :
http://ladyislingering.tumblr.com/post/5021793300/mypaperaeroplane-i-want-to-break-free-look
I do have to say you british people have the weirdest party themes...
Anon from Paris
I'm so glad I know nothing of spinal tap or I'd never have got any sleep and it would have been all my own fault :-( instead I can blame a small child who thinks morning starts with a 6 when everyone knows no a Sunday morning starts with a 9 or 10 ;-)
Sherlock hope you like the picture ;-) try and remember that one day someone might have embarrassing pictures of you to show people so don't be to hard on Greg ;-)
Hope you got some sleep Greg before the boys woke you for the day :-)
Anony
Ooookay, I saw the photo and the first thing I thought was "Let's do the time warp again!" :-D
Then again, I am in a group with a few cross dressers, considerably more LARPers (and when those decide to play tarts... or goblins... or elves, it's time to join the madness - your sense of normalcy simply leaves) and I am getting ready to be a ghost in July.
Well done, L, with a nice attention to detail :-) Respect. Especially as your expression says "Say it again and I will claw your eyes out. Or maybe just groin-stomp you!" :-D
RR - I like the paintwork. It's very calming. Not sure it makes the place feel more like 'mine', I'm sure that'll come in time.
Anony - he stared at it, stared at me, frowned, stared at it a bit more and went off to find John! I don't know what was said...
Did get a bit of sleep, then made pancakes.
CR - Thanks. I think I look fairly neutral! I can see the Rocky Horror though...
Glad you got some sleep :-) keep an eye on Sherlock you wouldn't want him trying to copy the makeup ;-)
Decorating is a great start to making somewhere feel like yours but time and memories make a home you're right :-)
Anony
:) Calming is just what you want in a bedroom.
No one can say Sherlock is not getting a well-rounded education!
A bit of sleep is something, anyway. (All us Americans got an hour less sleep last night because they changed the clocks. But, unless your sleeplessness was once again catching, it was only an hour!)
Was today as fun/productive as yesterday?
Can't pretend it's exactly productive, given were currently watching the rugby...
All us Americans got an hour less sleep last night because they changed the clocks.
It's Daylight Savings Time?! Damn. Thanks for pointing that out, RR. Otherwise, I'd have been late tomorrow!
A few years ago I pulled an all-nighter in the office, and the next morning, when Sal was the first person in - an hour late! I was halfway through yelling when she pointed out the clocks had changed.
I had to be extra nice to her for about a week...
Hey mycroft hope you've had a nice weekend and that school is interesting and a little bit fun when you get back :-)
Who'd have thought that you playing guitar on Friday could inspire the formation of a band over the weekend ;-)
Anony
You guys got me confused so I had to go and check. :-) We change the time on the night from March 24th to March 25th... Or I would be an hour early to work tomorrow :-D
It will be good to be only two hours behind Moscow again - they've cancelled the "winter time", so they are currently three hours ahead of us. Not good when we need to phone their offices regularly... ;-)
Our daylight saving ends on the last Sunday in March - then we'll only be 10 hours ahead of London.
Public holiday today! Labour Day. My favourite. I work for a union, and this is the public holiday celebrating unions winning the 8 hour working day. \o/ Going to see a movie with a friend. Maybe bake a cake. Ultimately, I will just enjoy being paid to not go to work!
Responding to comment 200 on L's blog--L, if you can't pay the rent, it's worth whatever hoops you have to jump through to collect unemployment.
I'll not ignore the picture Greg not when you've sent me over here ;-)
Anony
Well, since Lestrade's gone all cane-wavey at us...
Doc, bouncer?
Sherlock, are you up for album art, please?
Any additions to the track list?
Enjoy your holiday, Ro!
To continue from Greg's blog...
DW - Should we add a bonus track about the degus or the photo battle?
I can volunteer egg tarts or chocolate chip cookies for the first performance.
Oh, and if my drive-by comment tomorrow is some form of incoherent babble, it still means that all is going well. Relatively.
~A from NW
In answer to the other thing Greg no I don't know how you make the decision to jump into the horrid system that is job seekers but I guess when you get to the point where you can't pay the bills you probably decide it's time!
I'm not sure I could be bothered with the hoop jumping!
the Song list DW is great if we can get the artwork done we'll be away :-)
Anony
Could someone give me a hand to unload all the tea, bottles and biscuits I've lugged across from L's blog.
We need a track to go with the picture at the top.
Heh, bouncer, sure. The dogs can help me. (And Anthea used to play the recorder, though you didn't hear it from me.)
I have a spare hand SH I'll be right with you
Anony
Wow, things move with alarming speed around here! Teach me to be overwhelmed with work and family woes!
John, that picture of you as a kid was exactly what I needed to cheer up again. How come, when I asked, many moons ago, what you were like as a kid, you failed to mention that you were the most adorable thing on two legs? Those cheeks were clearly meant for squishing with kisses.
L, congratulations on being reinstated and back at work! And now you could even have your own chauffeur - that's moving up in the world. (And I know "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" only from The Simpsons, but I tend to think most hilarious things are quotes from The Simpsons or Arrested Development, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Groundskeeper Willie was actually quoting someone else.)
Mycroft, I'm glad you're home and have let your hair down to the extent of buying a non-plain shirt.
And Sherlock, does your Ophelia wear wings as she rides her moose? Or would they get waterlogged just from proximity to the stinky Thames?
SH - Not a problem. *sets up table* Nothing like tea, bottles, and biscuits to fuel creativity! :)
John - What are the chances we'd be able to talk her into joining the band?
~A from NW
Vicars, Tarts, and a Leia Made of Bread?
Degu-ology?
*unpacks baskets* SH, you brought Jammie Dodgers! <3
DW & CR, great job on the track list!
SH, starts putting out glasses, plates and napkins. Looks around for plastic to keep clean-up down.
CB - I've got plastic sheeting from our home remodel a few years back. *starts putting that down on the floors*
SH - Should we degu/dog proof the table?
DW - What's a Leia made out of bread? My Google skills keep coming up the Star Wars character.
~A from NW
RR - I've been there and done it. I know if it gets that bad, you sign on. I just assume it's a harder line to draw when you are your own boss than when you're straight up unemployed, and I wondered what they did to you to make you prove you're not earning, as opposed to earning and still claiming benefits.
Really off to sleep now. Don't drop crumbs. I'll talk to Sherlock about artwork in the morning.
Thanks, Innie!
And Danger, you are living dangerously, outing Anthea as a recorder player...
I'll tell her if she kills me she won't get any of your custard creams.
AfNW, here:
http://interestingmurders.blogspot.com/2012/01/why-you-stuck-up-half-witted-scruffy.html
:D
Don't drop crumbs.
Or what? You promised pancakes before and they never materialized. :(
Did you know that the finger positions for descant recorder and tenor saxophone are the same? I mean, blowing technique is different, obviously, but fingering is the same...
Greg, John - Sweet dreams! We'll keep this place tidy, never you fear. I mean, we might have to get the dogs involved, but as long as we don't leave evidence behind...
~A from NW
DW - Aaah, this all makes sense now. =D
~A from NW
L--I can think of several ways they could do it based on how unemployment works here for regular employees, but since they don't offer benefits to freelancers it's just extrapolation, and I don't know how it is done in the UK. Do you know, SH?
innie...
Teach me to be overwhelmed with work and family woes!
Do you need some Jammy Dodgers? Or jammy badgers? Custard cremes? Room to scream? Cuddles? Snuggles? Snuffles? Juggles? Riddles? Rhymes? Poets? Mimes? Games of charades? Pics of Lestrades? Cuppa tea? Black coffee?
Quite Seussian, DW!
Thank you, DW, but what I really need is for my mom to take back the things she said about me and a couple of days off to get my apartment and my taxes straightened out.
(And I'm glad you enjoyed the book!)
Alas, I all out of maternal apologies and time off. :( My bag of tricks is small, but you know where we are...
(Yes! With the...and the...and then she...and he was... Yes!)
Good night and pleasant dreams to all.
Sorry you're having a hard time, Innie. Mothers, eh? Who'd have 'em?
You lot didn't leave the place in too much mess, I see.
DW - I had to work last time, John was supposed to provide pancakes!
Nanny John has banned the building of time machines sadly Innie so we can't help you go back and change what your mother said or give you extra days I'm afraid but we're all here being a little bit crazy if some laughter will help :-)
Anony
Morning all! This is the nice bit of being on holiday - not having to rush out of the door on a Monday morning. Hope you all have a good week.
Hope things get sorted out with your mother innie - and as anony says we'll always around if you want cheering up.
We're generally well-behaved badgers. Not like some of those punks who spike up their fur and go around causing mischief. I do believe we owe SH a pillow fight, though. :)
(P.S. Holidays are awesome; Daylight Savings sucks. That is all.)
You do indeed owe me a pillow fight, DW, because I had done my homework, and the place is as tidy as it normally is (what do you mean, that's not saying much, just 'cos I normally only tidy up when I've lost something). But I believe we had to pack the fort up when we decided to party on the naughty porch, something about the flat not being that big.
We change to British Summer Time on 24th/25th.
Hey, some of those punks are big softies really, and settle down to become all responsible... So I've heard.
I think we should stick to british summer time all the time, stop all this changing clocks business.
Aargh, I've been swallowed again. I did comment DW, saying that you owed me a pillow fight, but admitted that I only tidy up when I've lost something, which presumably means that I'm back on the naughty porch ;) Clearly I'm not a responsibly badger!
I said generally well-behaved, SH, not responsible. ;) Besides, why would you want to leave the naughty porch? It's where the party is!
Settled down punks are the cutest kind, Lestrade. They still know how to have fun!
(i forgot to ask properly earlier. Anthea, will you come be in our band?)
DW - Anthea shall stay in command of security together with John the Bouncer, as Jammy Badgers are going to be terribly succesfull...
L - But I like the changes... *whines* Because when the time finally changes to the summer one, the spring is really really here. And when it changes to the winter time, you know that autumn means bussiness...
Hey, a band! (Holy crap am I late to this party.)
*waits at the door for tickets*
*soon as the migraine disappears*
It all happened very quickly Maz ;-)
Do you play anything? triangle even :-)
Hope the migraine disappears soon.
Anony
Maz, you have to join the band. Although it probably would be best if you waited for the migraine to go ;)
I played piano and sang in a show choir when I was younger. Those days are...perhaps long behind me now! :D
The band night just bring the migraine back...
What else do we need for the band? Backing vocals? Danger has to be part of it, he can't sneak out on security duty.
Although I wouldn't kind if he were a groupie... ;)
Welcome to the Jammy Badgers then Maz ;-)
Anony
L - you'd just want me to be your groupie though, not the whole band's.
Yep. Problem? Lead guitarist deserves his own groupie! :)
If it gets me out of singing, no problem at all!
Who says you're the lead guitarist and not, say, Mycroft? ;)
Walcome to TJB, maz. Hope youbfeel better soon.
I suspect Mycroft is going to want my job rather than lead guitarist. ;) (No problem, Mycroft--you can maintain the website, and I can supply content.)
Well, Mycroft can be lead guitar, because Danger can't escape being part of the band. This is rock n roll, not bloody springwatch!
(phone autocorrected 'band' to 'bamf'.)
I assume your auto correct comes from most used words? ;-)
Anony
LOL, Anony--I bet you're right. :)
(Is this a bad time to say that every blessed time I read Jammy Badgers, I think Artful Dodger?)
We're going to get ourselves in trouble RR casting Aspersions on Gregs character ;-)
Nanny John is quite scary I've heard!
Anony
RR - do you want the band to join in a chorus of "Gotta pick a pocket or two"?
L - of course Danger should be part of the bamf.
Oh, Anony, I don't think my being more familiar with characters from Dickens than with British snacks is an aspersion on anyone's character, even mine!
How about "Consider Yourself at Home," SH? (I played Bet in my high school production, and so I know that one. :) )
I was thinking more of the auto correct RR ;-)
I like dickens :-)
Anony
John should be pleased that L uses the adjective BAMF for him so often!
(I loved being in school plays, Anony! I would have probably gone into theater as a career--I think I would have made a really good stage manager--if it weren't for not being able to work Friday nights and Saturdays. :) )
He probably should yes ;-)
I played the violin in the orchestra for a school production of Oliver and I loved it :-)
Anony
Thanks, DW - I did enjoy my public holiday! It was a beautiful 24 degrees Celcius, I went to see Hugo in 3D with a friend, then had another friend around to tea (yummy cheese & crackers, followed by cauliflower soup, followed by chocolate) and we watched some old Buffy episodes and reminisced about our favourite lines!
Sounds lovely, ro. :)
Ooh, I want to be in the band! I can sing and I'm good at simple harmonizing with a melody line from scratch. You've got some great song titles, so when are our resident poets going to start on the lyrics?
Thanks, DW, L, Anony, and Small Hobbit - it is cheering to know there's a place to turn when stuff like this gets me down.
Hey, some of those punks are big softies really, and settle down to become all responsible... So I've heard. Judging by the pictorial evidence, some of those punks grow up to be men who look strangely sultry dressed as women. L, did you ever employ a falsetto when you sang?
I'm going to reply to all of the cool music-related stuff that I missed while in transit, so prepare yourselves for some pre-sequiturs.
CR: If you wanted to start playing the harp, I'd get something small and simple first-- this is a pretty decent brand for a beginner (if I were in the market I would buy one that had at least 3 sharping levers per octave). The nice thing about harps is that they hold their resale value incredibly well, so if you decide in a few months that the harp isn't your thing you can always just resell it for about the same price you paid.
AftSO: you mentioned reading neumes over on L's blog-- do you do Gregorian chant?
Calliope: your rendition of "O Death" was simply gorgeous!
On that note, I would like to submit my audition tape for the Jammy Badger Band. I must admit that it's more opera than rock, but hey, it'll just make us more eclectic.
In a perfect world, this song would be called "Hey look! A badger!"
Ria, wow! I think I'll be in charge of sheet music wrangling and, something. Certainly not singing with the talent around here.
Pleased to be of service, innie, darling. Do let us know if there's any way we can help. Perhaps some tennis in the garden? Cucumber sandwiches? Or a bit of...cricket? *waggle waggle*
That was great, Ria! And I love your translation of the title. :D
(Word to the wise, do not listen to "Cabin Pressure" just before starting to write a paper. You will end up magically substituting the word "aeroplane" for "project," "Martin" for "marked," and "Douglas" for "department" and none of it will make sense. Hypothetically)
Ria - wow, that was lovely.
DW - I would have thought that the amendments would improve the paper no end.
Good morning everybody! (Well, sleepy morning, for me. One of these days I ought to get more sleep. But there's no rest for the wicked.)
Ria, I have sung some Gregorian chant. I'm not sure which things were Gregorian, though! (You know, that chant style is named after St Gregory....) The group I was in did early music, meaning Baroque and earlier, and we learned to read neumes to sing a chant at the beginning of Pérotin's Viderunt Omnes. It was the chant the rest of the piece was built upon. It's an odd piece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpgaEFmdFcM
I was one of the people singing the long drone notes, which are the chant, made into very looooooooooong notes so that the rest of the harmony can be built over it.
We were doing it as a chorus of women's voices, so our version was higher than the tenor version that's more common. I've probably done a lot of chant, but often they find us modern notation to read from, which is nice of them.
I haven't sung in a choir for a few years now, but I've been in at least 3 early music groups, and it's lots of fun.
Wow Ria! *applause*
AftSO, I love early music. Thanks for the link. Very relaxing for a hectic work day. I've only ever done Ave Maris Stella in this genre. Mind you, I did have a bunch of fun singing slightly more recent stuff at the Renaissance Faire when I still worked there.
It seems that I've fallen in with quite the talented bunch. :) Tea for everyone!
Oh cool, I've actually done Ave Maris Stella as well! I'm not an expert in early music or anything, but I've really enjoyed the few pieces that I've heard and sung.
I have my first violin lesson tomorrow, I'm all excited! I'm sure I'll sound horrible, but just the thought of starting is thrilling. Then I can be in the band, too! :-)
hope it goes well Piplover, I'm sure you'll be better than you expect. :-)
I haven't managed to find a guitar teacher yet but I'm still looking :-)
Anony
In answer to your question on my blog, RR, no, trying to explain the way the law works to Sherlock never lowers my blood pressure. It is far more complex than he'd like, and he doesn't understand why we can't just send bad people down without all that annoying court business.
Ha, no, true. I meant the creative part. And imagining the results if you could use his ideas.
Don't you just love kids :-) clever kids must be so much better ;-)
Anony
You'll have to let us know how your violin lesson goes on. I keep wondering whether I should get my daughter's saxophone out and have a go and deciding that the neighbours would probably prefer it if I didn't.
As for kids - well, we got the invitation to our son's wedding today - it's quite a funny sensation.
Very exciting, Pip. Good luck!
Sounds like fun, Pip and Anony! Definitely let us know how it goes. The Jammy Badgers take all skill levels. :)
Post a Comment