A warning to the world: Sherlock is now old enough to be sneaky with Mycroft and Greg. He suggested a bike ride for today, and the four of us set out toward the coast. We kept going, further, and a little further, and then we were at the ferry…
Which we took, bikes and all, and my only starting to suspect something might be up. I did eventually realise it's my birthday on Monday (look, I've been distracted, all right?). And L clearly had a very specific destination in mind... One, as it turned out, with a hot tub. And a trampoline.
Anthea and the dogs met us here, and it's just... It's really nice. Everyone all together and relaxed. I wish we could've brought the kitten, but she's probably had enough of motorbikes for a while, and she was curled up in Mrs Hudson's lap when we left anyway.
Oh, and when we got here, the wrong lock was locked, and L had to break in...with a coffee shop loyalty card. One of many, I suspect. Sherlock started practising five minutes later and didn't stop until he went to bed.




54 comments:
He and I have made a pact that he will only use his skills for the power of good...
Glad you enjoy it, and that you didn't guess. And sorry, didn't factor in a kitten!
She was certainly a surprise!
Thank you, love. It's wonderful. :)
It's only a really short break, but you do get to claim some of a future trip as yours too ;)
Heh. A fourth of it?
What a brilliant idea for a trip!
Sherlock may end up being very popular in Uni when people lock themselves out of their housing.
awesome! :) outdoors is the best place for a hot tub. Happy birthday surprise!
S
Becca - and by then he won't have to stand on a chair to do it... Bit of a hassle, carrying a step around everywhere on the offchance you might need to reach a lock.
Danger - depends on the holiday! At least a few days. Although Sherlock was very eager for us to stay longer and him to sacrifice going to school for a few days...
Very generous of him...
He insisted this would be more educational.
And to be fair, so far he's learnt not to trampoline with dogs bigger than he is, which I'm not sure school teaches.
Could be an important life lesson. You never know.
Oh, you're lucky to have those old locks! I can hardly break in anywhere with a credit card any more. Of course, I may not be practicing as assiduously as Sherlock does. The loyalty cards don't work so well as the ID cards, I find? Which is a shame.
Becca, you're absolutely right, it DOES make one quite popular in college. Although it's also a good way to frighten the neighbors.
I went to my friend's memorial service today. It was low key and quiet and peaceful and loving. The sort of thing she would have liked.
It did get me thinking, though--I learned a lot about her, from other peoples' words, especially about her life before I knew her (she's 40 years older than me, so had a lot of life). Learned what she did for a living and what she studied in school and where she lived and all of that.
But i came away feeling like while I'm glad to know those things, on another level I don't care about any of those things. They aren't important things. Knowing who she loved, and how much she loved the land she lived on, knowing what her smile looked like, and how every problem was solvable for her, how much she loved people...those are important things. Those are the things I'm glad to know. And I didn't need a memorial service biography thing to know them.
I'm not trying to derail the thread with sadness. It's more...I'm glad you guys all take time away from life to hang out with each other, and enjoy the fact that you love each other (all four of you). Because that's the sort of thing you take with you when you go. And the sort of thing that it's okay to leave behind, maybe.
Ella
Greg, that sounds like a very painful lesson though.
Ella, I hope you're doing ok. I'm so sorry for your loss.
I'm glad the memorial brought about happy memories as well as sad, Ella.
The lesson wasn't really painful. He just can't stand up with two huge hounds bouncing with him. And then can't stand up because he's laughing too much.
It's good and we went walking and it was really muddy and we got covered in mud and so did the dogs and it was fun.
I'm glad your friend had an appropriate memorial, Ella; I hope it was comforting.
That does sound like fun, Sherlock! And well done (all of you) on the secret planning and keeping fronts!
We're now on the beach. The dogs are going wild.
Did anyone else try the trampoline or just Sherock?
Are you kidding? I may be nearly 50 but I'm still a kid at heart!
We all know that Greg ;)
Those dogs are, from your reports, amazingly well adjusted and good natured. Mycroft and Anthea must have worked so hard with them. My own dogs, even the young one, wouldn't handle half as many things half as well as yours do.
We have to go home and I don't want to but the ferry is fun too
That's very grownup, Sherlock, to find the good parts and focus on them.
It should be interesting to see how the dogs react to Maftet--or did they already meet her before you all left on your weekend adventure?
They haven't yet met. At least she has a refuge with Mrs H if they get a bit much for her.
Ella, I endorse your feelings about what it's important to take away from reflecting on your friend's life. Also endorse your remarks about the Holmes-Lestrade-Watson family.
May Sherlock's definition of the power of good incorporate at least some respect for seemingly arbitrary laws, rules and regulations. Or I feel that membership in his security team may become a legendary rite of passage.
Sounds like a great weekend! Best to all.
fA
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I'm doing okay. Mud and trampolines and dogs and ferries and hot tubs--what more could a weekend need? :)
I've been trying to abbreviate the family names in my head. So far the best is LeHolSon. Wathostrade?
Ella
At least she has a refuge with Mrs H if they get a bit much for her.
I suppose the dogs can always hide behind Mycroft if she gets a bit much for them... ;D
(((Ella))) sounds like your friend had a wonderful life, to have had such a memorial service, and affected many people in the best way. every thing you said is so true, what's really important is being together.
I'm looking forward to reports on how the dogs and the cat size each other up. ;)
S
The dogs are too big to hide. They're on their own :). Maybe they can go to his room.
The ferry crossing is super smooth, and then it's the long road home...
The dogs have met a police dog on the ferry. They aren't impressed by the uniform.
Lol, I bet they're laughing at it, knowing their far superior...until there's thunder.
Well, we're home... poor Anthea will cop the traffic that we could sneak around, though.
Still, given the cat a chance to climb John's leg, get angry with his leathers and bite them :)
Well, she was probably expecting a soft comfy pocket to crawl into!
She's clearly mixing John up with possible prey sources. ;)
Ella
I think she expected to climb his leg like she does with his jeans.
She's now on the table. The dogs are milling about. She's not too sure about them yet, and when one comes too close it gets hissed at and the odd swipe thrown its way...
They look unreasonably intimidated considering she's less than a tenth their size.
she has extremely sharp claws, attitude, and a doctor on her side :)
I think I'm losing my husband to a girl...
Ha! Try curling up in his lap and letting him pet you.
fA
No, no, it's more like gaining a daughter--or a monarch... ;)
fA - I usually do! There's a little fluffball with sharp edges there instead :(
Well, baby girl is just going to have to learn to share . . . eventually.
;-)
fA
I'm sure he can make room for both of you Greg :-)
She pounces on my hands if I get too close. Wouldn't be surprised to find her tucked up in our bed one morning...
They're both lucky they're cute, eh? ;)
The time to really worry is if she starts laying claim to your side of the bed and making you sleep in her box ;-)
My dog really does do that, Anonybob....
Happy Birthday, John. I hope you have a lion. And other great presents. I'm fairly sure there will be cake.
Happy birthday John :-D
Happy Birthday, John! And congratulations on a wonderful year and many more to come.
More than half the house got a lie in and breakfast in bed - John was joined in bed by Sherlock, The cat and Phobos.
Mycroft, Deimos and I sat on the sidelines. The cat sat on John, looking wide eyed at Phobos, and didn't really eat much - think she was a little worried if she stopped staring at the dog it'd get up to mischief.
Thanks, everyone :)
They do get up to mischief if someone doesn't keep an eye on them...
I think she's going to take to that role quite well. She seems very watchful of us all.
heh, a friend of mine used to have two (medium-large, not huge) dogs. Eventually she decided to get a cat, more or less to keep the dogs in line when she wasn't home. He took to the job immediately. She'd wake up in the morning with a dog on either side, and the cat on top of her. he knew where the "high ground" was!
happy birthday, John, have a great day with your wonderful family. :)
S
Happy birthday, John!
Happy Birthday, John!
Post a Comment