Tuesday, August 16, 2011

in trouble again

I'll start with the bad news - Lestrade's flat was broken into tonight. They took about what you'd expect them to take, electronics and so on. The place is a mess, things tossed about, but not too bad apart from that. We sat around and ate takeaway while it was dusted extremely thoroughly for fingerprints, and now we're all home again. L's asleep already, and the boys are now too.

Going back one day...as Lestrade said, we won the match, had a great time afterward in the pub, right up until it was time to go when Sherlock decided it would be a great idea to throw a fit over whether he got to sleep in the fort or not. Which was...


Well, maybe it was just about that, but he said at one point that Lestrade had to go back to his "stupid job" tomorrow, and between the riots and working nights and overly exciting chases through gardens, I've been more worried about him than usual and I wonder if Sherlock wasn't picking up on that. Think I need to be more careful in the future, or talk to the boys about it, or something. My natural inclination is to shut up and get on with things. Maybe not the best idea if I'm not the only one worrying.

Anyway, back in time one more day, to tent shopping.

They had...everything. You could live in the shop. I would be completely unsurprised to find people living there, and in fact I would bet they have to check carefully when they close up at night and herd out any stragglers. They have about 1700 different kinds of meals in packets too, all of which sound better than what we got in the Army.

We got, among other things, a two with two rooms and a bit in the middle for Phobos and Deimos, sleeping bags, camp stove, various meals in packets, components for meals not in packets, snacks for the road, an outdoor rug for the dogs to lie on...

We looked at a lot. We picked up a lot and put most of it back. And then we got up to pay and found Anthea with just about everything we'd looked at and Mrs Holmes's credit card. We were not allowed to argue.

I forget sometimes how much money she must have. It's not as if you'd walk into our flat and think, oh, this person must be loaded. Or even, this person must be moderately well off. (Not to say I don't love our flat, because I do, sort of beyond all reason and despite the wallpaper and the various architectural oddities.) Anyhow, it was pretty thrilling for the boys...and possibly for L and me as well. A bit like the time my father took Harry and I to the supermarket and just said yes to everything we asked for - crisps, ice cream, chocolate, the lot. No special occasion, just out of the blue. Thanks, Mrs H.

Tomorrow: packing, organizing, getting fingerprinted. The day after tomorrow: Corset Dorset. 

77 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anthea must be pretty remarkable. I bet if someone had just quizzed you to list the stuff you liked but didn't take while you were standing in line you'd have had a hard time remembering it all. I know I would have. I'm like a kid at Christmas in stores like that. It all looks good. She not only kept track of it all, it wasn't even necessarily the stuff that she was interested in. That woman is clearly an organizational goddess.

John H. D. Watson said...

She's amazing. I have no idea why she's wasting her time with us. I can only assume she's doing Mrs H a favour.

Bronwyn said...

Considering that from what hints you've dropped on the blog, the boys living situation before you became their nanny was pretty lonely and awful (serial killers, middle of nowere, bogs?), and the implication that Anthea has been with them since prior to that, maybe she's just thrilled that the boys are happy and loved and growing by leaps and bounds. I can't imagine it would be an easy thing to work in a situation where the children were so clearly unhappy and be unable to do much if anything about it. Lord knows I celebrate when a student of mine moves to a better living situation and I don't even have to live in with them.

God knows I'd be grateful to you if they were my children, or just children I was involved with. Finding someone to care for and help raise your kids who actually loves your kids is hard. Even if they're marrying in, it's hard. Finding a nanny who honestly loves your kids and is as devoted to them as you are to those to boys is practically unheard of. And again, given prior hints, you probably felt like the coming of the Messiah to those boys. And maybe to Anthea, too. (Sorry for putting words in your mouth, Anthea. Just a thought.)

Toodles,
Bronwyn

Lupe said...

A bit like the time my father took Harry and I to the supermarket and just said yes to everything we asked for - crisps, ice cream, chocolate, the lot. No special occasion, just out of the blue. Thanks, Mrs H.

You know, that's exactly what happens when me and my dad do the shopping. We're just two overgrown kids, that's why my mum won't let us do it any more. She doesn't wanna lose the house for buying too much beer and ice cream. xD

I've never really gone camping. I think I would hate it--I don't like not having a proper bathroom with, you know, a toilet and a shower, or maybe I'm too influenced by Calvin & Hobbes comic strips--, but you make it sound like a really fun adventure! Especially if you've got the best equipment and, of course, the greatest company. :) I hope everything turns out marvellous for you guys. Will you be blogging from there or will you wait until you're back?

Anonymous said...

It sounds like the camping trip is going to be a much needed get away for all of you! I hope that you can all take some time to just enjoy and relax.

Is Sherlock feeling all right? He's seemed more - um, tired? Than usual. Perhaps just getting to spend time with all of you will help him get back to his usually energetic self.

Bronwyn said...

It's the valium they're putting in his food, Pip. Okay probably not.
Bronwyn

Anonymous said...

Ahhh! So that's what it is. Mystery solved!

Greg Lestrade said...

Piplover - well, we hope he might sort of calm.down and enjoy us all being together - but of course it means that the time grows ever nearer when Mycroft will go to school. So perhaps it's a combination of factors outside his control which he's railing against?

Anonymous said...

Lestrade, that makes sense. It's kind of like when you have to go in for surgery. No matter how prepared you are for it, it's still scary and unknown. The time leading up to it is the worst. Then, when, everything is said and done, you can deal with things, because the thing you were afraid of has already happened.

I hope he does get to just enjoy the time with everyone, though. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a great holiday all around for you lot!

Small Hobbit said...

It sounds like a classic case of "tears before bedtime": lots of excitement, lots of tension, shake well up, light the blue touch paper ("you can't sleep in the fort") and bang. When you're five you have a paddy, when you're an adult you keep it inside (and get stress related illnesses) or scream in the shower!

Anon Without A Name said...

I love camping shops, even though I can't imagine ever going camping again (I like my creature comforts, like a bed and bathroom, too much). But I could spend hours in those shops. Rather splendid of Mrs H making sure you've got everything you need and want and more :-) Highly impressive of Anthea to keep track like that.

Hope you all have a quieter day today - although whether you can if three of you are going fingerprinting is another matter :-)

Lulu said...

Have fun in corsets! I mean Dorset.

Greg Lestrade said...

Danger, when you're in town send me a message or something. There's a good chance I'll be free for a coffee. Have to go back to the office after though, just to make sure everyone knows what they're doing.

John H. D. Watson said...

We're here now, just waiting for someone to come and do the fingerprinting, which apparently might take a while.

How's court? Still going all right?

Greg Lestrade said...

Jury's just gone out. In their hands now. But I don't need to be here anymore. Could take a while. So whenever you're ready.

John H. D. Watson said...

Almost done, just getting the excess ink off. Do you want to meet somewhere?

Greg Lestrade said...

With the 'crim wipes'? Did S enjoy?
Yeah, you know the Italian I go to a few streets away from the yard? They do ice cream if Sherlock wants some. And good coffee, because I want some.

John H. D. Watson said...

if Sherlock wants some

Ha. If.

Greg Lestrade said...

Well...one day hell might freeze over, too. and Sherlock would use the ice to make ice cream...

John H. D. Watson said...

Chocolate's probably not allowed in hell.

mazarin221b said...

Coffee probably isn't, either, but I still hold out hope in case I don't get that last-minute repreive.

Enjoy your trip, I hope the weather holds and is beautiful!

Greg Lestrade said...

I suppose it wouldn't be particularly Hellish if there was chocolate and coffee.

I assume Danger's hell is made of marmite.

John H. D. Watson said...

Oh, ugh.

Greg Lestrade said...

It would be everywhere...dripping onto you, all sticky and hot...getting in your food and drink, that rich marmite smell...mmmmmm

John H. D. Watson said...

Stop that! Gah.

I suppose your heaven is made of marmite?

Greg Lestrade said...

Fluffy clouds made of crusty bread...covered in butter and marmite.

Rivers of coffee.

A very large number of clones of you.

John H. D. Watson said...

If I were in marmite hell, I couldn't be in your marmite heaven. It wouldn't work.

Greg Lestrade said...

I'll sneak one of the clones into Marmite hell in your place.

Anyway, it should work. My heaven shouldn't be dependent on you being a good boy - just me!

John H. D. Watson said...

Very sneaky, I like it.

Greg Lestrade said...

So, I'm nearly free. What does everyone want for our last dinner cooked in a kitchen for a while? Anything you want.

And tonight nothing will stop me getting to you!

Sherlock said...

Baked pasta with cheese!

Greg Lestrade said...

That was quick. Check with everyone else if they want that too.

John H. D. Watson said...

Sounds good to me. With salad?

Greg Lestrade said...

And garlic bread?

Mycroft said...

I'll make the garlic bread! Sherlock can help me.

Greg Lestrade said...

Okay, brilliant. Leaving now. We got everything to make that little lot? Or do I need to stop somewhere?

John H. D. Watson said...

We're fine unless you need some sort of special cheese? We have mozzarella and romano.

Greg Lestrade said...

At shops. Picking up some others - the Romano would overpower the mozzarella. Getting some blue for flavour. Be with you in ten.

Anonymous said...

The dinner was making me jealous until you decided to add blue to it. Blech. I will now be quite happy with the Chinese take away at my house tonight.

John H. D. Watson said...

Mmmmm, blue cheese.

Greg Lestrade said...

So, KHolly - your Hell is moist, yet crumbly, and riddled with pungent furry blue mould?

I'm freeeeee! And it feels brilliant.

I may have to go and attack Danger with a massive hug and put him off his sauce stirring duties...

John H. D. Watson said...

I'm waiting...

Greg Lestrade said...

if you're using your phone you're not concentrating on stirring.

Just hanging up my 'court suit'.

John H. D. Watson said...

Am so. I can multitask. Actually I'm mostly watching Sherlock violently crush the garlic.

Greg Lestrade said...

wow. that is quite violent. I may step in, before the garlic is crushed to non-existence.

Anonymous said...

Yes. I am a firm believer that anything moudly in my fridge should be thrown out.

John H. D. Watson said...

I think almost any food might be pretty hellish to live in, even if you liked it to start with.

Greg Lestrade said...

Don't leave it in the fridge then - leave it out in the warm to get really gooey and extra-mouldy :)

Don't you eat..Brie? Or cheddar that's gone a bit fluffy? Or a lovely Stilton...or...anything?

Sherlock said...

I don't think I could live in ice cream because it would need to be too cold. And the dogs would eat it all.

Becca said...

There's a cooking competition show in the US that I watch sometimes. One of the more memorable bits was when contestants were racing to mince two cups of garlic.

The chef from Italy just picked up his cutting board (good, heavy wood) and whacked the crap out of the garlic. Needless to say, it was all peeled.

mazarin221b said...

Mmmm, pasta with cheese. I do one with fontina, fresh mozz, gorgonzola, parm, and ricotta, with crushed tomatoes, cream and basil. Mix with large pasta, bake. Heaven, so to speak.

And now I want it.

Greg Lestrade said...

Sherlock - I don't think the dogs would get a look in with you around.

Becca - Usually, for garlic bread, I just rub the garlic over toasted bread. But that's not nearly destructive enough for Sherlock.

Maz - sounds very nice.

Danger - stop pacing around trying to work out what we've forgotten to pack and come and have a cuddle?

John H. D. Watson said...

All right. I don't think I'm getting anywhere anyway. Your offer sounds much better.

Greg Lestrade said...

We're going to Dorset, not the dark side of the moon. Anything we forget we can get hold of.

Sherlock said...

Can we go now? We're all ready! We could go now and be on holiday now!

John H. D. Watson said...

The only place you're going tonight is bed, Sherlock.

L - Just don't forget Spider.

Greg Lestrade said...

I won't! Spider will definitely be coming. But I'd feel cruel putting it in a bag. Spider can come in the car, free to run about.

Sherlock, 5 mins, we'll be up to tuck you in. No arguments.

John H. D. Watson said...

We're going to Dorset, not the dark side of the moon

My mum used to say that before every trip. Well, not necessarily Dorset, but the dark side of the moon part.

That means we have to move in five minutes doesn't it? Damn.

Greg Lestrade said...

Nah, it's been ten already and he hasn't yelled...he's probably asleep. We can go up in a bit.

God, I'm looking forward to this. I almost can't believe that I'm going to get to spend all day, every day with you lot, and I'm not sick or hopped up on pain killers. You may need to pinch me...

John H. D. Watson said...

Happy to.

It's going to be amazing, I can't wait. I haven't been camping for ages - I mean real camping, not sleeping in the desert in a tent - and not ever like this. Everything I do with all of you, it's like doing it for the first time.

Greg Lestrade said...

Ow! Kiss that better...

Just think, this time tomorrow, we can be gathered around a fire, or snuggled together in sleeping bags, surrounded by nature...

I think it's the boys - the way they're just filled with wonder and questions and a different way of viewing the world. It is brilliant.

And given we know Sherlock will be awake probably in about two hours, demanding it be morning and that we can go...time for bed?

Anonymous said...

Have fun! All of you thoroughly deserve a nice, happy, injury-free vacation.

-A from NW

John H. D. Watson said...

I think it's the boys - the way they're just filled with wonder and questions and a different way of viewing the world. It is brilliant.

It is, but it's you too.

Bed sounds wonderful.

Anon - thanks!

Greg Lestrade said...

It is, but it's you too.

Thanks. It...well, I hope you know how much you mean to me, too. You've given me back a life that isn't just work.

And the boys have given me a chance to do all the stuff I didn't when I was a kid. With the best friend I could ever have.

John H. D. Watson said...

I know, love. Thank you.

Nony Mouse x said...

Awww, you lot are choking me up (:

Have a good time in Dorset, it's gorgeous down there :D

Take plenty of jumpers though! Last time I went camping by the coast, even though it was August, I've never been so cold in my life!

Take care and have fun! x

Lindsay said...

Mmm, blue cheese. Now I'm jealous.

I just figured out my schedule is open in mid-October, which means I get to go with my family up to Alleghany State Park. Back in the day we used to stay in the cabins, which were fairly dire- metal cots and picnic tables, and I remember it being very, very cold. LOL.

Now we stay in "cabins" that are more like hotel rooms, with beds and showers and everything. If I were more hardcore I would disdain them, but it's hard to feel disdainful when you have access to hot water. And of course you still do a lot of hiking, and hanging round campfires roasting things, and spotlighting. And, if you're us, carving pumpkins and then throwing them at trees.

...There's also a lot of drinking involved. In sum, camping as an adult is awesome.

Lindsay said...

Oh yeah- lest my reputation be ruined, I should mention that when I say spotlighting, I mean we go out and spotlight animals so we can LOOK at them. I am not referring to spotlighting as a method of hunting, which seems rather unsporting; I don't hunt, and if I did it wouldn't be illegally in state parks.

Anon Without A Name said...

Have a brilliant time, you guys, I hope the weather holds for you (Thursday is looking wet). Although it sounds like you're taking more than the entire contents of the flat with you, so I'm sure you'll cope whatever the weather :-)

And remember, tents aren't soundproofed, so whatever you do, be very, very, quiet :-p

Greg Lestrade said...

Nameless - I have indeed been thinking about that last fact. With some trepidation.

Unsurprisingly, Sherlock has woken us up to beg to leave already. I'm making him breakfast. John has volunteered to drive the first stint...

Sherlock is bouncing around the flat like a pinball. Mycroft is checking we have everything. He has a list. This gives me much more faith than Danger standing in the sitting room saying 'i've just got a feeling we've forgotten something...'

The dogs are sitting by the from door, looking expectant. Phobos has his lead in his mouth. Which I guess is 'packed' for a dog...

Amy said...

Sounds like Mycroft has things well under control.
Have fun everyone! :)

Amy said...

The word-verification thing agrees - it said 'wizest'!

Greg Lestrade said...

Amy - he does! Smeone has to.

Currently in the New Forest, explaining to Sherlock why he can't try to catch one of the wild ponies...

After our lunch break I'll probably drive the last bit of the journey, Danger having done it all so far...and we shall tackle setting up the tent! (whilst trying to restrain Sherlock from heading directly to the sea...tent first. Sea afterward. Or we'll be sleeping in the car tonight.)

Greg Lestrade said...

But they're wild! I could take one and it could live in the park and it would still be wild, but I could ride it. And so could other people. I think it would have fun, because London is fun.

Greg Lestrade said...

(do I even need to say that that was Sherlock 'borrowing' my phone?)

Lindsay said...

Sherlock- London is not as much fun for a wild pony as for a person. I think a pony would think it not enough space to itself, and too many people around. Plus the ponies live in herds, and I'm sure a pony by itself would be lonely and miss its family. And before you ask, bringing a HERD of wild ponies to London would still be unfair to the ponies.

Also, I've read that technically those ponies are only semi-wild- they're actually owned by locals who have the right to graze animals in the forest.

Desert Wanderer said...

Have a good trip, guys, and try to stay dry. My parents are visiting, so of course we're going all over the place seeing things, and the weather seems to be getting a bit colder and rainier now (although that could just be East Anglia...).

Post a Comment