Thursday, October 18, 2012

enormous jacket

Since L has said he doesn't mind... 


I like it because he looks so happy. Thanks, Nicky. 

Sherlock's class are building boats to sail on the pond - one or two at a time, I presume, or there are going to be shipwrecks. They're meant to choose a historical or fictional boat/ship and do a report on it in addition to the actual building. Sherlock already has a list of about ten. 

Got the following text from Anthea today: will be taking time off whenever you madmen are going camping in the freezing cold, so let me know. It's going to be fun though, honestly! 

147 comments:

Greg Lestrade said...

My sister calls my public service announcement poster indecent, and sends you that...

I was happy though, yeah.

I'm looking up sleeping bag liners and the most thermal matting it's possible to own.

pandabob said...

happy and very smilie and hopefully it was a real smile at a good time :-)

Anthea is a wimp but please please please don't tell her I said that ;-)

Greg Lestrade said...

It was. Not long before we got married.

I'm tempted to go on holiday with Anthea...

Anonymous said...

Just think of all the excuses you'll have to cuddle up next to a hot Doctor when you're out there in the wild. ;)

rsf

pandabob said...

Do you know that the fact that you were that happy then and that you are that happy again now is kind of wonderful. Can't really explain what I mean but it makes me smile :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

RSF - Hypothermia is my main planned excuse. Sadly I fear it may not be an excuse...

AnonyBob - I think I know what you mean. And thanks.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should pop the question John if he's that happy now to.

Greg Lestrade said...

I, er.. well, think that's something only John can respond to, Anon.

Also, just noticed the title on this post... it' not enormous!

John H. D. Watson said...

It's a bit enormous...

I...have no idea how to respond to that in a way that doesn't leave you feeling obligated to do something you might not want to do.

pandabob said...

if it's enormous how come it doesn't meet in the middle? ;-)

Greg Lestrade said...

I think I was just rather more slender, and under-dressed, rather than the coat being particularly large.

I...don't think I'd feel obligated to do anything I didn't want to? I mean...well, that's not how you make me feel. If that makes any sense.

Anon Without A Name said...

It's a bit enormous though, isn't it?

John H. D. Watson said...

But the sleeves!

Good. I'm very happy about that.

Greg Lestrade said...

It's not enormous! If I had ..well, any clothes on underneath, it wouldn't be enormous. Not that it is anyway.

And...I'm happy too. Really happy.

REReader said...

John and L--I think this may be a good conversation to have offline... (Not that I'm not properly nosy, you understand!)

It is great photo!

Anonymous said...

you two are so sweet and if you're both happy right now thats brilliant but questions like that have to be between you two not cos someone here has suggested it.

Happy is good, happy ever after will come in time.

Anon Without A Name said...

Lestrade - look at the shoulders! You'd need three big woolly jumpers just to make it look anywhere close to fitting.

Mind, that does appear to be a six-pack you're sporting under the Enormous Jacket...

[sticking my nose in]
(I tend to think these things should be mutual decisions arrived at through conversation and discussion, rather than one person deciding that it's time for a decision, but I don't think that's necessarily a widely-held view)
[sticking my nose back out]

John H. D. Watson said...

L - good. I want to make you happy. And probably anything else we should talk about somewhere...not online?

But I'm afraid you're completely wrong about your enormous jacket. You'd need more than clothes. You'd need another person in there with you.

pandabob said...

So seriously I didn't mean that happy then and that happy now like that. Kind of stupid thing to say sorry gents.

Sorry.

Greg Lestrade said...

If only I still had that jacket, we could perfectly test that theory... although if you got your arms down the sleeves your feet might be off the floor...

As it is, we'll just have to make sure we can both fit in our sleeping bag for camping.

speaking of - Bed?

John H. D. Watson said...

Anonybob - not at all your fault, and nothing to be sorry for anyway. Don't worry. :)

L - if you still had that jacket, we could use it as a sleeping bag... Bed would be good, yes.

pandabob said...

Thanks John :-)

Sleep well both of you.

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah, don't worry, AnonyBob. I was very happy. But maybe moreso now ;)

And other Anon - don't you worry either. If you are.

Danger - tomorrow, we need to sort out some cold weather gear. For now, you should brush up on your 'sharing bodily warmth' technique, I'm sure.

John H. D. Watson said...

I'll work on perfecting it before we leave. We can practise again in the morning after we drop Sherlock at school.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, Greg, how did you not have people just queuing up to be arrested?

Greg Lestrade said...

ah...criminals don't have very good taste? ;) I don't know, Anon, but thank you, that's a very kind thing to say.

Anonymous said...

I like your fancy hair.

Greg Lestrade said...

Thank you, although not sure it's 'fancy'!. It never gets that long now, I'm glad to say.

Anonymous said...

I like your hair in the picture too, although I'm sure it's easier to take care of when you keep it short.

Did Sherlock's boat float?

rsf

John H. D. Watson said...

The boat has yet to be created. He's got half term and I think a week after that to work on it.

I like the hair too. And the sixpack. But mostly the smile.

pandabob said...

Its Definitely the smile that make the photo :-)

Anonymous said...

Yup, definitely the smile!

Lancs. Anon

Greg Lestrade said...

You're all very wrong..deluded..I mean KIND.

REReader said...

It is a lovely smile.

(The six-pack ain't bad neither. :))

Anonymous said...

Two weeks? Plenty of time to experiment with materials and configurations then.

And it is a most excellent smile. I'm so happy that John is making sure that so much beauteousness does not go to waste!

rsf

Sherlock said...

Why's a six pack nice and a six pack of what?

REReader said...

It just means he has a very muscular abdomen in that photo, Sherlock, and that it looks nice.

Sherlock said...

what's it called a six pack of and where did it go?

pandabob said...

I have often thought myself deluded Greg but on this I would say that the rest of the photo could disappear leaving just your smiling face and the picture would still be amazing :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

Ha, thanks, Sherlock!

It went into this drawer in my old kitchen that contained a lot of take-away menus, and also into making a few dents and worn patches on my seat at work.

(Never have a 7 yr old if you'd like your ego massaged.)

John H. D. Watson said...

Sherlock - it's called that because of the way the muscles are defined, and I see L has already answered where it went...

REReader said...

(L--Calvin Trillin calls that "the tiny deflator". :))

Sherlock--The reason it's called a six-pack is because it sort of looks like the side of a six-pack of soda or beer cans, the way they curve out in rows.

To get one a man usually has to do a lot of exercising--tummy crunches and other things focused on the center--and has to KEEP doing those exercises. (And being thin can help, too.) It's lots more work than needed to just be healthy. A fit person will still have strong muscles, they just won't be so defined.

Greg Lestrade said...

I should probably have said it was buried under those take-away menus and paperwork... those muscles are still there, somewhere, wrapped in a comfy layer of lard, Sherlock.

With some severe effort, they could be rediscovered. So if anyone's got any spare effort to donate...

John H. D. Watson said...

There is no lard! You look lovely the way you are.

Sherlock said...

I think I like biscuits more than doing sit ups.

Greg Lestrade said...

Hah, I think we all do, Sherlock! But you're young enough at the moment to burn off most of the unhealthy things you eat. Whereas I spend too much time sitting at a desk nowadays.

Thanks, Danger. As do you.

John H. D. Watson said...

I definitely like biscuits more than sit ups. Especially jammy ones.

REReader said...

So far as we've seen from the photos that have been here, neither of you has ever had anything that could be remotely classified as "lard"!!

(I agree about the sit ups, Sherlock!)

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah, jammy situps would be difficult! All sticky and with pips...

Sherlock said...

John says Lestrade is RIDICULOUS I want a new space-mat for camping when can we go and buy things?

Greg Lestrade said...

I am, undoubtedly.

Maybe you, Mycroft and John could go one day? Otherwise it'll have to be after work.

Sherlock said...

YOU should have half term off and then we could have FUN.

Greg Lestrade said...

in an ideal world, I would.

But we'll still have fun, don't you worry.

Now go and get ready for bed.

REReader said...

Happy half-term, guys--and good night, Sherlock. (Eventually.) :)

Greg Lestrade said...

He's gone to bed...although I'm not certain he'll stay there. Far too excited at Mycroft being home.

REReader said...

That's sweet. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

He is now asleep. Undoubtedly to be up at an Ungodly hour.

Anon Without A Name said...

It's really lovely to see Sherlock excited about Mycroft being home, and planning biscuit deliveries when he's not :-)

John H. D. Watson said...

It is. There were times when I thought we'd never get to this point.

Greg Lestrade said...

It's amazing how they're both growing up. And it seems to be happening so fast! I think being away at school has given Mycroft a lot more patience with Sherlock when they are together. And Sherlock is better at respecting Mycroft's space now he's more self-sufficient, too.

It just...I can't really believe it's all happening to us. To me. I can honestly say I never imagined life would be like this.

John H. D. Watson said...

Neither did I. It's...amazing, really.

pandabob said...

It couldn't have happened to two nicer gentlemen, you and your boys have come so far together and have so far left to go :-)

Life is a funny thing but sometimes you can't help smiling at it :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

Never been so glad that I didn't just slap the cuffs on someone and hand them over to the local plod to process ;) Or, indeed, so glad that I accepted an invitation from my suspect to go to dinner at his gaff...

John H. D. Watson said...

Ha. Never been so glad not to be summarily arrested! Although I remember thinking at the time that if I had to be arrested by someone, you'd do very nicely...

Greg Lestrade said...

Except, of course you now know I'm far too professional to go clapping blokes I fancy in irons just for the sake of it.

Still, should give you a lesson in not taking lifts with strangers...

John H. D. Watson said...

Not just for the sake of it, I'm sure...

I might not have taken the lift if you'd mentioned I was a suspect!

Greg Lestrade said...

I may have to run you in now. Charged with stealing my heart and being far too gorgeous in public. A positive menace you are. It'll only be doing my duty to take down your particulars and keep you in my custody for the next few hours.

(Until a small, pointy-elbowed jailbreak takes place, demanding milk and excitement.)

pandabob said...

So what time did a certain small person decide the day was to start?

I hope you're having a lovely day all together whatever you're up to :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

Early! About half five or so? Although he was contented with some milk, a banana and a book for about another hour, at which point Mycroft got up and Sherlock considered the day officially started.

At least the weather is a lot better today. We've taken the dogs out, had breakfast in the park, and are now doing some shopping. Both the boys have grown out of too many clothes.

pandabob said...

That is early! I hope John didn't struggle with it too much ;-)

Anonymous said...

Do you save Mycroft's handmedowns for Sherlock?

Sherlock said...

John didn't wake up and Mycroft wears BORING clothes I'm getting a leather jacket for Christmas.

John H. D. Watson said...

I woke up eventually...

Greg Lestrade said...

John just about survived the half six wake up. He'll be addicted to coffee soon, I'm sure ;)

And...yeah, Anon, there's a lot of resistance from Sherlock on that matter. We would have to keep them for a while, too - Mycroft is almost as tall as John (unless John is reading this, in which case Mycroft's taller ;) ) and Sherlock's about...4ft. So there's about a foot and a half between them. Although I think they'll both end up tall. Probably taller than me.

pandabob said...

Eventually is all you need John :-)

There must be laws against getting your boyfriend addicted to stuff isn't there Greg?

John H. D. Watson said...

Now he's singing Addicted to Love...

Greg Lestrade said...

Your heart beats in double time,
Another kiss and you'll be mine...

John H. D. Watson said...

Better stop serenading me and kiss me then.

Jaws said...

Not Bad Case of Loving You? It's perfect!

Greg Lestrade said...

there are lots of perfect songs. Those which result in getting a kiss are the best though.

Sherlock said...

Lestrade's playing his guitar agaaaaaaiiiin and John says we can't make more biscuits because there are still biscuits left even though I said I'd eat them and he said I couldn't which is stupid and Mycroft's being boring too and I want to go camping!

Anon Without A Name said...

So, Sherlock - what ideas do you have for the ship you're going to build?

Sherlock said...

John was reading me Master and Commander and I think I want to build the ship from that, it's called the Sophie. It has a lot of parts though.

Greg Lestrade said...

That may be a bit too much to make for a short school project.

I'm going to go to work tomorrow, and then hopefully I can get the end of next week off, for camping - maybe Weds-Fri? Would that be okay?

Sherlock said...

I can if I want!

YES CAMPING!

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm just worried you won't have the time to make it as good as you'd want. Whereas if you went for something a bit simpler, you could do a really great job.

Right, camping. Brrrr.

Sherlock said...

But all the good ships are complicated! I don't want to build a stupid one. What other ones are there and don't say space ones like John did, they don't count.

Greg Lestrade said...

You could make it more simple in looks, but still give it sails, or even a motor. Not full rigging though - more like a yacht, or a paddle boat. A catamaran?

Sherlock said...

Do catamarans have cannons?

Greg Lestrade said...

How are you going to make a cannon? And what are you going to shoot on your pond??

Sherlock said...

I'm going to ask my chemistry tutor if we can make gunpowder!

Greg Lestrade said...

right...I would really prefer it if you didn't make any guns, or gunpowder.

Sherlock said...

But how can I shoot the other ships and take them captive and get loot without gunpowder and cannons????

Greg Lestrade said...

Is it actually the project, to sink and loot your classmates' ships?? Or just to make your own and float it?

Sherlock said...

She didn't say we COULDN'T sink them.

Greg Lestrade said...

But why would you want to? They won't actually have loot on them. And how would you feel if someone sank yours, just because they wanted?

Sherlock said...

I could make two ships and sink one and it could be filled with loot like sweets and things.

Greg Lestrade said...

But then you'd want everyone to make two, so you could sink someone else's? Just to get some soggy sweets?

And you'd scare your newts, with cannon going off.

Sherlock said...

But cannons!!!! Can I be a privateer when I grow up?

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm not sure anyone employs privateers now.

It's Bonfire Night soon - you can have your fill of explosions then.

Sherlock said...

YES!! Can we watch from the roof again and Mycroft should come this time.

Anonymous said...

The problem with getting loot isn't having cannons, it's having boarding parties to go over and get the loot. Once a boat has sunk, the loot's pretty much unavailable.

Besides, with gunpowder, chances are what you'd end up blowing up is your own ship, not the others.

You may want to concentrate on making sure you have a boat that floats and then think about cannons and non-flammable propellants. (Cork cannons? CO2?) But if you don't have a feasible ship first, the cannons won't help.

rsf

Greg Lestrade said...

We'll see if Mycroft's available, yes. I'm not sure about the roof, we'll see where we want to go and watch from.

Sherlock said...

Cork canons would be okay. Lestrade said corks can come out of champagne bottles really fast.

Greg Lestrade said...

yes, for those famous champagne cannons pirates used to have...

Honestly, I think you should concentrate on your boat, and think about weaponry much later.

Anonymous said...

Yup. Get a stable platform or the only thing your weaponry can do is go glug glug glug. And boats aren't as simple as they look. Especially not miniature boats, since even on a pond they have to deal with waves that would be gigantic next to a real boat.

rsf (who has sunk many many boats, but never needed a cannon to do it.)

Sherlock said...

Maybe I could build the canal boat that we went on.

Anonymous said...

Canal barges are an incredibly good design for carrying cargo, very stable, it should work well on your pond. Also there's lots of good history you could put in your report

Lancs. Anon

Greg Lestrade said...

that sounds like a great idea. you can make a wide one, if you want - some of the big ones for cargo are twice as wide as the one we went on.

Sherlock said...

Can I load it with sweets for cargo?

Greg Lestrade said...

It would probably be more accurate to put coal or something in it...

Anonymous said...

How big is the pond? Because what cargo you choose should depend on whether or not you know you can retrieve the boat. But you'll need something for ballast, most likely.

I like the idea of a canal boat. Especially since you can probably go down to the river and look at some to help you plan how to build it.

rsf

Greg Lestrade said...

I think the boats will all be easily retrievable. Sherlock will probably build his to fill the pond, anyway.

Sherlock said...

If it was that big it could carry me!

Greg Lestrade said...

it won't be that big.

pandabob said...

I hope you've all had a fun day.

John good luck with Sherlock sleeping in tomorrow morning and I hope work isn't too hard on you Greg.

Greg Lestrade said...

Thanks. I'm expecting to return home to a shipwright's. Is that how you spell it?

Was a stabbing today... might cop that.

Today was good, though. And camping is the main topic, so John better put his hand in his pocket and get us some WARM camping gear.

Anon Without A Name said...

Nice profile pic, Lestrade :-0

John - just realised that with all the kerfuffle in the last month or so, we didn't celebrate your two-year blogiversary... unless we did and I missed it :-p

Anyway, happy blogiversary; how times have changed :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

Hah, thanks. As you lot were all going gaga over the fact I was letting slip a rare smile, I thought I should make the most of it.

And no, we didn't! Happy Blogiversary indeed, Danger.

pandabob said...

I'm glad today was good, makes a great start to half term :-)

Love the pic, smiling is very good for you!

Happy blogiversary John :-)

John H. D. Watson said...

I completely forgot about my blogiversary...again. Thanks!

Greg Lestrade said...

We never quite got around to properly celebrating the fact you've put up with me cluttering up your flat for a year, either. Although I think we had good intentions.

John H. D. Watson said...

We should do that. It's worth celebrating. After we get back from this possibly ill advised camping trip?

Speaking of which, do you want to come along when we buy the cold weather gear or shall I take the boys while you're at work?

Greg Lestrade said...

It won't be ill advised - the four of us together, it'll be fun. Of a cold damp sort :) That or we'll be abducted by aliens, because y'know, we don't exactly manage a quiet life, do we?

But I don't think I'll be around enough to buy things. I mean, I've got lots to do. Just get us a nice bag liner, and the most space-age heat-reflecting-insulated-mat you can find to lie on!

Anonymous said...

Something like this might keep you warm, not sexy but you'd be alive and well.

http://www.diverswarehouse.co.uk/images/ac200.jpg

Greg Lestrade said...

ha! Wow...yeah, I'd rather have a sleeping bag full of Danger, if I'm honest, than an insulated romper suit!

John H. D. Watson said...

True. I'm thinking of changing my blog title in the hope that our lives might become a bit more boring.

Right, I can do that. Maybe a rug for the dogs, although they'll probably lie on Mycroft anyway. I know you have a million things to do at work and probably there's nothing I can do to help there, but let me know if there is, okay?

Greg Lestrade said...

You could pretend to be a DI and listen to people arguing the case for going in front of the beak for a warrant? That's time consuming.

John H. D. Watson said...

Ha. I'm not completely sure what that means, and I'm pretty certain impersonating you is against the law, but if you like...

Greg Lestrade said...

Hah, yeah, and you'd have to cut your hair and dye it grey and grow a few inches and all sorts...

It means...if anyone wants a warrant, to search a property or something, for their case, they have to convince a DI that it's the right thing to do, and that they have evidence to back up them thinking the address is the right place to raid, that they will be likely to find evidence or persons essential to their case. Once they've convinced a DI, we sign it off to go to court, where they then convince a judge to grant them warrant.

Just means you don't get people kicking down doors on a whim. Time consuming, because I have to check all their evidence for it.

John H. D. Watson said...

Heh. I'll listen to them argue and then get Mycroft to check their evidence, how's that?

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm certain you'd do a better job, actually.

John H. D. Watson said...

Better than Mycroft, or better than you? I'm afraid I'm dubious either way.

Greg Lestrade said...

the two of you, combined, better than me.

John H. D. Watson said...

Pfft.

Greg Lestrade said...

Orgy? :)

Christ, how did it get to this time? Bed? before I just fall asleep in the face of junior officers...

John H. D. Watson said...

Ha. Yes to the bed, no to the orgy.

Greg Lestrade said...

No, you'll need your energy to carry the entire stock of a camping shop home with you...

John H. D. Watson said...

A third at most...

Greg Lestrade said...

You can't expect Sherlock to carry an entire third...

Anyway, bed! Stop distracting me, you bad, bad man.

Anonymous said...

I may not be around, so I'll wish you have a good time getting things for camping tomorrow, Sherlock! You want to try to keep your feet dry, your ears warm, and have some easy to put on and take off layers for moving from sun to shadow and back again. And don't forget to pack a notebook for taking down observations about animal footprints and scat and a magnifying glass for looking closer at plants and other things.

Darn it, now I want to go camping.

rsf

REReader said...

Is the camping supply store in the process of being emptied, or are the three of you enjoying a lazy Sunday morning, John?

How's work going, L?

Greg Lestrade said...

Busy.

I wouldn't have thought they're shopping yet. Most places in central London don't open until midday.

REReader said...

I hope it's at least not-bad busy.

(I stay out if stores whenever possible, so I have no idea about hours. My bad. :()

Greg Lestrade said...

There's no reason you'd know London shopping hours, really...

REReader said...

No--but midtown Manhattan's about the same on a Sunday.

pandabob said...

Busy means moving quickly towards hometime I hope :-)

Good luck with the shopping John.

Post a Comment