Someone has made slippers out of bread. There was no information on the site about who it was. Just slippers. Made out of bread. I wonder if you could wear them for any length of time, or if they would just fall apart. I think you could definitely make hats out of bread. As long as it didn't rain. Bracelets. Possibly legwarmers made out of baguettes.
I'm slightly concerned that when Sherlock sees this post he will want to try it. Usually, 'why not' is the question I ask myself when he wants to do something. I think that's mostly because of my background. I don't want to end up limiting his life to make things more convenient for me. But walking on food might be where I draw the line, even though I suppose it's not any more wasteful than buying flowers.
Anyway. It's just the sort of thing I wonder about. I always wonder if I'm doing the best thing for him. For all of us. This untimely bout of self-examination brought to you by slippers made out of bread.
In lighter news, here are some octopus eggs. I can tell you right now that Sherlock will definitely want some octopuses in 'his' pond, meaning the one at his school. I can also tell you that the answer to that will be no. Some questions are easier than others.
For anyone who is wondering, Midnight Riot, the American version of Rivers of London that I bought used without knowing that Rivers of London existed, did change the spelling of the words to American, but not the vocabulary. (Rivers of London is a better title.)


72 comments:
Bread slippers would last approx 0.2 seconds in a house with the dogs. They'd eat your feet too, as filling.
Excellent point.
...If you put ham and cheese in instead of feet, they'd be sandwich slippers.
I understand your introspection completely. It was something that came up when I was taking my teacher training classes; pasta necklaces and art, colored rice for the sensory table. Trips all my social justice triggers. Hunger isn't just in the developing world and I know for a fact that my kids have classmates who rely on food pantries.
I think that's the difference, for me, between food and flowers; flowers aren't really a staple pantry item.
The fact that you ask yourself the question means you probably are doing what's best for Sherlock and all of you John. People who are sure that what they are doing is right without question are normally the ones who make repeated mistakes!
I like the slippers, not sure I'd want to wear them but I like the look of them :-)
The dogs would prefer feet :)
The slippers look amazingly like shearling, but I don't think they'd be anything like as comfortable.
(And yeah, using food for "fun" bothers me, too. Like that tomato throwing festival they just had in Brooklyn--I know they SAY those are damaged tomatoes, but they can used damaged tomatoes in sauces and soups, and people are going hungry. )
And the octopus eggs are fascinating, with the visible tiny octopuses. (Octopi? Mycroft, do you know which is correct?)
Octopodes!
If you start thinking about waste from shops and restaurants it's horrific.
Octopus slippers would be okay, but you'd trip over the tentacles.
now I know what to get you for Christmas... :)
I, for one, think Sherlock should go walking in bread slippers in Hyde Park. Because pigeons.
(I also think you should bring the dogs to chase the pigeons away in the event that they completely envelop Sherlock.)
Ella
The pigeon would fly off with Sherlock. Or eat him. There's be a big flurry and suddenly no Sherlock.
Am i the only one here who thinks it looks like those baby octopus are trapped in inflated condoms?
Danger, will be a tad late. Just got to do some briefings before I escape :)
Technically, I think it's condoms that look like octopus eggs, not the other way round. ;)
Ella
You saying octopus came (so to speak) before Johnnies? ;)
On the way home Danger, boys
"And on the fourth day, The Lord created Johnnies, and he looked at the Johnnies and saw that they were good. And The Lord said, Behold, and they shall multiply over the Earth, and they shall be called johnnies.
"On the fifth day, The Lord got drunk and created the octopus, but only halfway, so he put it in the Johnny until is could be finished when he was sober. And it was...good."
Ella
Lestrade - I thought I was the only one :-p
John - Anonybob speaks words of wisdom, as always :-) All the best parents I know question themselves as to whether they're doing the right thing; the bad parents I know don't care enough to think about it. Anyway, you set clear boundaries based on common sense, and give Sherlock a lot of freedom within those boundaries, and as a result, he's growing up into a thoughtful, curious, caring young man - and Mycroft is finding the freedom to be himself, and maybe stretch a few of his own boundaries, knowing he's accept and loved for exactly who he is. Sounds like you're doing pretty well to me :-)
Oh, by the way, the books have very differnt UK/US covers too: MIdnight Riot vs Rivers Of London.
Octopusses couldn't have bread slippers because they'd go soggy! And they don't need hats unless maybe someone was dropping something into the water.
Lestrade said maybe I was the best person to say if you're doing a good job and you are except bed time should be later in the holidays and we should swim more but you're better than any of the others and we should definitely go to the Amazon jungle.
And I should be allowed a sea cucumber.
I'm glad you approve, but no, no sea cucumbers. And I'm afraid you're out of luck on the later bedtime thing too, at least most of the time. The Amazon jungle is unlikely, but you never know what your mum will come up with. If those are the only complaints you have, I guess I must be doing all right. Thanks, kid.
I wanted more stuff but Lestrade laughed at me and said I was pushing my luck but you wanted to know and he says that if you don't ask you don't get but Mycroft said you wouldn't sign a contract about giving me ice cream anyway.
I'm afraid I won't sign an ice cream contract, no. Sorry. The thing about being a nanny is that I have to work out what you need as well as what you want. It's tricky. I'm fairly certain it doesn't involve ice cream every day though.
But he neeeeeeeeeeds it. :)
I got a cushion thrown at me this morning when I informed him he wasn't having ice cream for breakfast!
(He did apologise afterwards. And put the cushion back.)
What kind of treatment do you think we get if we admitted that sometimes we had ice cream for breakfast?
I think the anguished howl he gives out will set the dogs off.
(Blaming you for the cushion attack, by the way. Bad example setting Nanny, you are :) )
That's not FAIR! Can I have ice cream for breakfast tomorrow with you?
Lestrade did his glare at me until I put the cushion away and I told him he could throw it back at me but he didn't he made me put it away
He has a pretty good glare, doesn't he?
L - there is no other appropriate response to short jokes, I'm afraid.
Mycroft says it's because he uses it on criminals and Lestrade said I can help you build a catapult to make the cushions go high enough to hit him above the knee and PLEASE can I stay up a bit longer because no one even has to work tomorrow.
You're already up nearly twenty minutes past your bedtime! Bed, young man. And then Lestrade's in trouble.
I might go to bed too... hide under the covers ;)
I always get the feel that Lestrade rather enjoys being 'in trouble' with you, John.
You know, I have got that impression too from time to time...
No idea what you mean.
I just occasionally allow Danger to polish my...halo O;)
Although I was told at school that one day my attitude would come back and bite me...never knew it would return in the shape of a SuperNanny though...
I like your attitude.
it has changed slightly since that comment was made...
Mmhmm...
I...can't translate that Mmhmm.
But yes! It has. I was a very angry teenager, a lot of the time. At all the wrong people. Whereas now I'm just a grumpy old man :) at most of the right people.
Mmmm. Rainy morning made better by two lovely boys announcing we could have a lie in, and breakfast in bed! And then having bacon and eggs and toast delivered to us!
And spam! Unless someone's planning to go to Canada for a driver's license.
That was lovely of the boys. Breakfast in bed! I hope the rest of the day can live up to it!
Yeah, John gets put in the spam pot all the time, genuine spam roams free... Great, blogger!
What, you don't like Spam?!?!
(Your breakfast sounds much nicer. :))
Does anyone like spam?
Vikings, apparently...;D
Today must be lie in day :-)
I hope your breakfast in bed was lovely and that your day is going well :-)
I like Spam. But I like it the way I like braunschweiger. Once in a great while, when forced by an inexplicable craving that usually fades before half of what I bought has been consumed.
At least leftover spam can be hidden in a casserole. Can't say that about liverwurst.
I'm told that spam onigiri are quite the regional favorite in Hawaii.
I live where spam was invented. I've never eaten it.
As a kid we ate a lot of crap like spam. Fritters was definitely the most popular dish amongst us. Anything was better than luncheon meat!
Spam being a most extremely non-kosher "meat product", I have never had any. It does not look good.
(Did you know Internet spam got it's name because of the Monty Python sketch? It says so much about geekiness. :))
Ahhhh, luncheon meat, spam's cheaper and even less nice relative, I do not miss luncheon meat. When I was little I couldn't work out why people needed luncheon vouchers, when you could just get it at the shop, and then the whole luncheon vouchers if you know what I mean, nod's as good as a wink, thing hit and I really didn't get it!
Lancs. Anon
...I think maybe you mean by luncheon meat something other than I think of? Because I always thought it was a synonym for cold cuts, and while bologna I find nasty, I quite like pastrami and corned beef.
Delurking...
RR, you presumably eat kosher pastrami and corned beef, which tastes quite different from it's non-kosher counterparts, which are not nearly as delicious.
I had no idea! Thanks for the info, Becca. (I'm guessing the non-kosher kind isn't nearly so expensive--the kosher deli versions are anything but economical, so I don't have it very often.)
Luncheon meat is tinned process unidentifiable meat compressed into the shape of whatever tin it came in. It was just...unbelievably foul. Our school served it for dinner most days, it felt like.
RR - i don't know if this means I'm a geek or not...but I'm not sure what naming Spam after Monty Python says about geekiness?
I think we've started to call most cold cuts - deli turkey, ham, pastrami, salami etc. "Lunchmeat" or "deli meat" here in the Midwest. Spam is just that - Spam - and something on a level all of it's own. Like Treet. *shudder* Or Vienna Sausages. (I used to eat those on crackers a LOT as a kid. Also fried spam sandwiches. We were mostly broke.)
And now I'm craving things I ate as a child. Like canned salmon made into fishcakes. Ham and Northern beans. Bean Pot (green beans, potatoes, onions and sausage or ham cooked for ages in some beef broth). Cornbread and buttered cabbage. Mr. Maz doesn't like any of that old-school Appalachian food, but I don't blame him - it's food for people used to being very low on the socio-economic scale and is just packed full of salt and fat or both, and I think you have to be raised on it to appreciate it.
Maz--we used to have the canned-salmon fish cakes quite regularly; still do from time to time! (As you say, a budget stretcher. :))
L--Just that I think of intense interests in computers and Monty Python as two of the markers of genuine geekiness, and crossovers are supermarkers. :) (There are, of course, others,.)
We went swimming this morning and I can do breast stroke now too I'm going to be the best when we do lessons at school. Next I want to do backstroke and then butterfly but Lestrade says he's too old and unfit to show me butterfly and John says it hurts his shoulder.
Mmm...you're learning breastroke, certainly, Sherlock. I'm not sure you quite qualify as 'can do it' yet - you still do front crawl legs!
RR - I don't think an interest in Monty Python here is geeky at all. Go into the average pub and you can probably get everyone over a certain age to recite their favourite Python sketch. Definitely non-geeks among them.
One marker does not identify a geek! There have to be several, always including computers. :)
That's a lot of different techniques, Sherlock! i have to say, just watching someone do the butterfly exhausts me, The breaststroke and backstroke I can do, but I like sidestroke best.
And having done their Monty Python sketch they'd probably launch into the Two Ronnies "fork 'andles" sketch.
Oh yes :)
To me it's much more a popular culture thing than a geek thing. Are the two mutually exclusive? I've no idea.
Are the two mutually exclusive?
Not at all! (Except for the computer thing.) (Although I know many programmers who are not at all geeky. :))
I don't think I know what a geek is. Different things to different people I'm imagining.
I've been instructed that a geek nowadays is "someone with deep (albeit possibly narrow) expertise in one or more technical fields or subfields, such as computing and engineering, and that membership in geek culture additionally requires equally deep (and narrow) expertise in several fields including (but not limited to) Monty Python, Star Trek, Star Wars, comic books, and MMPGs."
(I just retrieved that from an email a proudly geek-y friend sent me not long ago, upon my misusing the term according to his lights. But hey, what do I know? I have one sister who programs for Bell Labs, another who's a network engineer--and I design books! Not geeky enough.)
Don't think I'd ever make it as a geek. Sounds a bit exclusive. Are there tests? Do they take away your card if you fail?
That is EXACTLY what I asked him!
(He said yes, but I'm not sure if he meant it. :D)
Argh! The fourth Rivers of London book won't be out in the US till February! It's already out in England. Do I go to amazon Uk or wait? Argh!
Decisions, decisions... ;)
That's what I get for devouring three books in three days. John, any other recommendations?
If you order if from Amazon UK it'll be full of words that have been spellED incorrectly. :-)
And, if you go to Amazon.UK, the shipping is pretty relative to what it would be in the US. Plus, you could have it in a week or two!
RSF - You might like London Falling by Paul Cornell, although it's much darker than the Rivers Of London series; alternatively, you might like the Felix Castor series of novels by Mike Carey.
I may have to see if the library here has any of those Rivers of London books... sounds interesting.
I'm so glad to hear that Monty Python is just popular culture "over there", while on this side, it is a little bit specialized... My people, though, are as L describes, able to recite favorite sketches at the drop of a phrase. Probably has something to do with hanging out with so many Morris dancers all the time. :)
S
Post a Comment