Tollund Man, for instance, was found with a belt but no clothes. "It doesn't make sense to be naked and have a belt," Frei pointed out.
True... The rest of the article is here and talks about the possibility that they were tossing foreigners into the bog, not in some sort of religious ritual, but as an alternative to burying them with everyone else. But basically no one actually knows.
And this is an overview of the allotment...
We have lots of little green tomatoes. Something keeps taking one bite out of each one and then leaving the rest, but there are so many that surely some will ripen...eventually. We have beans and lettuce and a surprisingly small amount of chard, which got a late start. The enormous Thai purple beans show no sign of flowering yet, let alone doing anything else, but fingers crossed. Sherlock is very excited about them (so am I).
A woman named Mary has a plot a little way down from ours. She has a silverbell tree (currently about four feet tall, but she says they're meant to grow up to thirty feet and that she'll keep it trimmed and good luck to her with that...), a border of cockle shells, and marigolds all in a row. This led to a discussion of nursery rhymes with Sherlock and the implication from L that Little Boy Blue blowing his horn was about...well, you can guess. And also, bizarrely, to Sherlock wanting to read The Secret Garden, once he was assured it didn't have any talking animals or other such nonsense. Not sure how that one's going to go, since it's also distinctly lacking in pirates, booty, and mysterious corpses.


103 comments:
Could write a story about my life, which seems to be full of booty, small pirates and mysterious corpses.
But sadly not the sort of booty Sherlock likes. Just the sort I like ;)
I was thinking, we should take Sherlock to see some crop circles some time. He might like them.
We should. Even if he didn't, I would.
they're pretty fascinating - even as works of art, nothing paranormal!
Your allotment is soo beautiful and green! (Despite recent rains, I'm used to our mid summer landscapes having a distinctly sere and yellowing mien.) Around these parts, those take-one-bite marauders are usually squirrels.
fA
Your allotment looks so green and thriving, I'm very impressed. (I don't do awfully well watering my mom's potted plants, even with the best will in the world.)
Some nursery rhymes have quite interesting stories behind them. (Some have quite interesting-but-untrue stories behind them, too. :))
I haven't reread The Secret Garden in many years, but I certainly loved it very much. I'll be very interested to hear what you make of it, Sherlock.
the garden looks great! I hope some day to have beaten back the jungle in my yard enough to think about doing some actual gardening. or even just sitting outside enjoying it.
S
Secret Garden was one of my favorite books as a kid, though obviously my tastes are very different from Sherlock's. I think a lot of the reason I liked it, too, was the transcription of the Yorkshire accents, which were so different from anything I was familiar with, but which obviously won't be as exotic to Sherlock. It's good to read things you wouldn't normally read, though.
The allotment looks lovely!
Ella
It's all perked up since the torrential rain followed by intense heat. Including the weeds.
So what's bad for humans is good for the growing things?
Ella
Maybe we should go here, do some litter picking.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28367198
I know, how cool is that? I particularly like the fact that a lot of it is nautical Lego, octopuses and similar. When I thought I was going to be out of work for a lot longer, one of the things I was going to try and sell was customised Lego figures, but thankfully I've got at least seven months when I don't have to try and make a living on Etsy :)
You might find enough to make a Lego version of Greg the Florist!
I know, how cool is that? I particularly like the fact that it's mostly nautical Lego, octopuses and the like! One of the things I was going to try and sell when I thought I was going to be out of work for a lot longer was customised Lego figures, but thankfully I'm not going to have to live off Etsy for at least eight months :)
Sorry for the double post, Blogger claimed to have lost the first one!
John, I'm on the way home. Can we have a holiday soon?
Sherlock, I am definitely off work on Friday for canoeing.
Holiday sounds ideal, yes.
So, we thought you'd all like to know. Our little boy now has a name - Tadhg. And he would definitely like to meet his Uncle Greg and Uncle John soon, even if it is just to dribble and vomit on them.
Can't wait to meet him!
Sorry! Wrong window on my computer. Although I'm sure you can't wait.
I've been told off, anyway, and told to tell you his name is actually Tadhg Matthew.
Do you have middle names, Sherlock and Mycroft? Or does Greg have enough for all of you?
I certainly can't wait to meet him. Just let us know when you're ready, I know every second is precious at first - either sleeping or frantically trying to get everything done in between sleeping and repelling relatives ;)
I had to look up the first name, Jo, but now that I have, it's a lovely one--I like the meaning especially.
Is Tadhg Gaelic?
In any case, many further congratulations, and fond hope that he's a good sleeper.
fA
Just checking- that's pronounced like 'tiger' without the 'er', yes? I really like that. RR's right, the meaning is just as lovely.
Yes, it is Gaelic. Both Lisa and I are Irish - she grew up there, I grew up in London. And yes, that's how you say it, although he's getting called Tiger quite a lot too ;)
*Warning; Sherlock & Mycroft, avert your eyes. Incomprehensible adult blather ahead.*
Baby pet names are just the most adorable. Getting all sentimental thinking about 'em. Still call my daughter by one of hers, sometimes.
fA
I asked Mycroft if I could divulge middle names, and was subjected to The Eyebrow Of Doom (it's like a second cousin to a NannyJohnGlare).
I can understand the reluctance. My middle name is Etta, and I used feel it wasn't a proper name at all, just something you'd stick onto a male name to feminize it, so I never wanted it used. (Obviously I don't feel that way anymore. But I did.)
Between the Eyebrow of Doom and NannyJohnGlare, plus intermittent loving assaults by the never-tiring Energizer Bunny that is Sherlock, it's a good thing you're a DIGQMF and made of stern stuff, L.
fA
Well I definitely don't think Finchley is a real name. But I guess it is because it's mine. It never massively bothered me, but I did think it was a bit...excessive.
For those of you who like insights to office life here the Boss and one of the other DIs just gave us a rousing performance of Rawhide. Yes.
It's illegal not to sing a long to it on the radio.
Cosmic Truth, that. It also applies to 'Ghostbusters'.
"Rollin' rollin' rollin . .. "
Not a bad earworm, reminds me of my dad.
Someone singing aloud in my work place is absolutely unthinkable. I start grinning just thinking about it.
fA
Congratulation Jo and Lisa, I love the name :-) I hope sleep is happening at some point even if it's not at night ;-)
Everyone should sing at work, it should be some kind of law!!
Everyone should sing at work, it should be some kind of law!!
That would be nice. Around here, silent chair dancing to whatever's coming in through our earbuds is about as close as the culture will bear.
fA
We like to have a little fun inbetween the cases that have everyone crying themselves to sleep.
And it's certainly deserved. There is no real compensation or cure for some things.
fA
About to not have fun... it's still about a million degrees (centigrade) and I ran in, so I have to run home... I will arrive so sweaty it looks like I'm melting. And then attempt to hug my husband very tightly to rub sweaty stubble on his head.
Alternatively I could give you a ride...
And rob me of the chance to sweat all over you??
You can take me for a ride if you'd like, Danger. Any chance we can slip away into the night and leave the boys to fend for themselves?
No you can't because I want to make biscuits.
I could ask Mrs Hudson...
Could Mycroft or Mrs Hudson help you make biscuits, Sherlock? Or maybe John and Lestrade could go after you finish making the biscuits.
But I asked Lestrade this morning why octopuses suckers don't stick to themselves and he said he'd tell me later and he hasn't and anyway where will you go and will it be good because if it is I should come too
(It's biscuits and octopus suckers for us tonight)
Oh, interesting question, Sherlock, and I think I remember reading an article about that quite recently... Yes! I found it, it's on the Smithsonian website, here: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-dont-octopus-suckers-stick-their-own-skin-180951465/
i'm the sucker 'round here...
However, this sucker has Thursday AND Friday off. So John can enjoy me, before Sherlock just uses me as a floatation device ;)
Keep repeating that at regular intervals. In my case it's just three more days, just three days.
So, who swapped the flags on the Brooklyn bridge? And why? interesting mystery!
I'm guessing art students. And that heads are currently rolling at bridge security--the Brooklyn Bridge is a prime terrorist target.
(Art students because an American flag bleached white--as opposed to a white flag--is like the Jasper Johns painting.)
By now you're half way there. If only the workload cooperates.
(Brilliant scheduling, to have a day off during the last full week of term. Friday is canoeing? Technically that is a day off. But a different kind.)
RR- excellent Googling. Interesting.
Onwards, all.
fA
RR - I was referring to the octopi. I don't imagine you need Google for forming your own theories regarding art students!
fA
Heh, fA, thanks! -No, no googling needed for the bridge flags story, it was all over the evening news here yesterday! And I haven't heard the Jasper Johns thing floated anywhere, yet, but I'm sure I will. ;) ! As for the octopus thing, I subscribe to Smithsonian and sometimes look at their website, so it was something I knew I had seen, I just wasn't sure where.
ok, I've not been following current events much lately, but the bit about the flags on the bridge intrigued me, and I've had a good chuckle at this:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2014/07/22/ny-daily-news-associated-press-fall-for-parody-group-on-brooklyn-bridge-flag-story/
S
What would art students be saying by using that symbol though? I find this sort of thing very interesting, the motivations behind such risky acts. Which is handy, as it's my job...
Btw, Googling Johns at the moment has the brooklyn bridge flags as the first few hits here, so it's definitely been thought about.
I totally believe that, L, as it leaps to mind if you've ever seen the painting. I just haven't heard it mentioned on the news--as I said yet!
Maybe it's an art project, like the one where they put bags or boxes (I forget which) in subway stations...
Ah, found it: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/17/nyregion/art-student-s-project-on-fear-becomes-a-lesson-in-the-law.html
Well...at least this one doesn't seem to have caused general panic, just specific to people who run the place, I suppose.
This is true. (Although I imagine people who cross the bridge daily don't feel too good about the security failure.)
If you wanted to do something to the bridge you wouldn't skulk about and risk getting caught though, you'd just drive a car across with enough explosives inside to do the job, with no intention of getting to the other side. Just like in the Tube - gone are the days of the IRA leaving packages, it's just suicides now. Far harder to prevent.
Oh, absolutely! But there's an understandable feeling that if people can skulk about changing flags (or bringing climbing equipment up to the roof of a building and rapell down), the security is woefully inadequate to stop people bringing in a load of explosives. It may well be inadequate anyway, but these "stunts" tend to drive it home to people who ignore it most of the time.
I'm home! I'm off. Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Then back at work on Sunday.
John, after work on Sunday I want to visit Steve's grave, don't know if the boys want to come, but it'd be nice if you could.
Yay for time off :-)
Hopefully the weather will stay great for you :-)
L - Of course. Glad to have you home.
Wish you were coming canoodling with me. I mean canoeing! ;) (DW, if you mention watersports your visa will not be cleared...)
We'll have plenty of time for canoodling pre-canoeing.
You're explaining that one to Sherlock...
Sherlock...in your world, Canoeing is waaaaaay more fun than canoodling.
Canoeing will be the best and I bet John and Mycroft won't have as much fun.
Canoeing IS fun, I bet you love it, Sherlock. (Canoes are very tippy. Which is part of the fun!)
Danger, Danger, tell me we're not doing anything tomorrow.
Nothing that I know of...
Excellent. SO just wait for either hurricane Sherlock or Maf poking our faces.....then deliver Sherlock to school...then go back to bed and sleep. Hope Mycroft doesn't mind.
I thought I might go out tomorrow.
Anyone watching the commonwealth games ceremony?
Bear in mind it's illegal to be in a same sex relationship in 42 out of the 53 countries in the Commonwealth.
And good luck to all the athletes...especially the ones who've already nearly been in trouble, cycling down the motorway ;)
Go out? You off work? I know you said you'd get odd days off when you'd settled in.
Not that I expect you to broadcast your plans but...somewhere nice?
I meant to work. I was wondering why you thought I'd mind anything you did, given that I won't be there.
I dunno. You'll be here a little bit, before and after, won't you? Just don't get to see a lot of you these days!
Perhaps we can make dinner together tomorrow evening?
We certainly can! Want to see what's good at your place, and send us a text or something for additional stuff we need?
John has been dropping fairly heavy hints about the cod cheeks in pancetta we had...maybe you could grab the pancetta if I provide the cheeks of a cod?
I believe I can do that, yes. And those chocolate swirl biscuits that Sherlock likes?
Yeah, those too. You're a fantastic big brother, Mycroft.
Have a nice morning in - sounds like the three days off work are shaping up well. (Mycroft is a pretty decent brother, isn't he?)
fA
Sherlock really doesn't know how lucky he is to have Mycroft. I hope one day he'll find a way to express his gratitude - impossible for an 8 yr old, I know.
I confess I don't quite get the "it was just a flag this time but what if it had been a bomb" argument. Every time someone walks into a mall or building, or parks a car, or whatever, what if it's a bomb? I think singling out an unusual stunt like climbing a bridge is more about crushing anything out of the ordinary, than actually trying to prevent a bomb. again, I don't follow current events a lot, but my vague recollection is, people who are actually trying to set off bombs, try to behave in as ordinary a fashion as possible so as to get close to their targets, rather than pull some weird stunt like climbing to the top of a bridge where there's nobody around. Am I missing something? cos I really don't get the logic.
S
Morning all.
Hope today's canoodling is a much fun as tomorrow's canoeing. Enjoy your alone time together guys cos I'm sure it'll be a bit harder to come by for the next few weeks. ;)
Good luck with tonight's cooking, I'm sure it'll be a masterpiece as usual and plenty of fun to boot. :)
Have a great day everyone. :)
S - my thoughts exactly. And if someone shows up a security flaw in a non violent, non destructive way, the authorities should be less concerned with charging them with some crime and more interested in how they went about it, how they noticed the flaws etc. they'd get a lot further.
S, as I said yesterday, I don't believe even the people who say, "It could have been a bomb" mean that; what they mean is, "If a group of people could get through security for an elaborate prank like this, with all that equipment and all the time it took, and no one noticed for hours, someone with a bomb in their car or truck could drive on while I'm there and kill me." Which is not untrue. And it wasn't untrue before the stunt, either, only a high profile stunt like that makes it harder to ignore that fact. And since to function at all we must ignore it, stunts like this are at best thoughtless and inconsiderate, and at worst cruel and destructive--rather like hackers who wreak havoc and then claim they only did so to point out the flaws in a system, as though there were no other way to draw attention to a danger than by harming nnocent bystanders.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that. i don't think we have to ignore things to function, but we do have to weigh up our options.
London hasn't, in my lifetime, been able to ignore it, because attacks and deaths and bombs and bomb threats and evacuations have always happened closely enough together to know it's always a risk, it's never long enough ago to fall out of the oublic conciousness, and when the IRA seemed as if it were going to fade to a memory then the 7/7 attacks happened and woke everyone up to a new, quite different, threat. But we all still use the tube, and buses, with a sort of defiance, really, an acknowledgement that there is risk in everything and this is one we take. No one can ignore it, because there aren't many people who haven't been effected by it, but we've always carried on and we still will, because there is no onther choice.
...Yes, we'll have to agree to disagree.
Manhattan is literally, physically an island, and without its bridges and tunnels its 1.6+ million (and growing) residents have no way of eating (or drinking, since even our water comes from upstate). But damn few of our residents live defiantly--and no one here on 9/11 ever forgets.
It's very interesting. I think a lot of people would stereotype Americans as quite a defiant bunch, which quite possibly is then backed up by our news finding those dramatically defiant ones to interview.
Oh, if you ask a selection of New Yorkers if they're afraid to get on the subway, you'll easily find any number who will answer defiantly; almost anyone might, depending on their mood. But the truth is, just about no one thinks that way about riding the subways. What we think is that's the way you get where you're going. And we go.
Well on a day to day basis the tube is also just a way to get where you're going. But in the days following an attack or alert then if you ask anyone if they will change their habits they always say no, they won't allow their lives to be run by terrorism.
Next time we want to take a ride somewhere...
http://www.dezeen.com/2010/08/02/the-longest-bench-by-studio-weave/
L, fwiw, I can tell you that on 9/12, I had the option to work from home, but I hadn't brought anything home, so I got on the subway to go to work. And I wasn't thinking about not letting terrorists dictate my life, I was thinking "If I don't get on the train, I can't get to work." And everyone else that came in had the same attitude, as did just about everyone else I know. The politicians, they talked a lot about spitting in the face of terrorists; people being interviewed on TV, for public consumption, they talked about that too. But people getting on the trains and buses were just trying to get to work.
John, that is an amazing bench! Not sure how comfortable it is to sit on with no back, but as a piece of sculpture it's great.
Danger - I saw a picture of that the other day! Didn't know where it was located thiugh. Given that there is a beach, a bench, and plentiful ice cream there, we should definitely go.
RR - it's a completely different scenario though. What happened in NY was obviously shocking, but it was so... Massive, so unthinkable, that what was there anyone could possibly do to avoid something similar in their every day lives?
Here, those bombs went off, carried by 'ordinary' people, on an ordinary day, in our transport system. And the next day, people went back on those same trains, knowing that the day before so many had died. And two weeks later, the only reason those bombs didn't kill even more people, was that they were built incorrectly. So two weeks after it happened once, it happened again, and we were just lucky. And millions of Londoners could have decided to then drive to work, or do anything but get back on the tube. But they didn't. They got back on, knowing it had happened twice, and could easily happen again, and i think there's a big difference there. But there's also a big difference in that we have lived with that threat for so long it is just life as usual, i guess.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree again, because without trying to take away anything from Londoners' courage, from where I stand it doesn't feel any different. (Personally, I haven't gotten on a subway without being aware it might be the last thing I do since the sarin attack in Tokyo in 1995, but that's me; I don't think many people carry that around in their heads.)
I guess so.
Tomorrow is canoeing and I have to take packed lunch and spare clothes and Lestrade has to take at least three lots of clothes Mrs N says and we're going with the next class up because then after summer that's the class we'll be in.
Those are very exciting preparations, Sherlock, and joining the next class up makes excellent sense!
Why does Lestrade need three lots of clothes, Sherlock? Does Mrs. N think he's most likely to fall in? Or does she think you're going to get him mucky ;)
Are you excited about your new class? Do you know the teacher already?
Mrs. N is nothing if not a realist!
I begin to suspect that she has "fisher-out of important objects including children" next to L.'s name on the list of assignments.
She got lucky in her volunteer, I believe, since I imagine you are completely up for it, L.
fA
wow, THREE changes of clothes! I guess it's just as well to plan on getting wet, and be prepared!
Going back to the "what if it was... " discussion... What bothers me about it is singling out an unusual stunt as somehow automatically having a connection to danger, when it really doesn't. Maybe it bothers me because, on a MUCH more pedestrian level, it's so hard to find a pub/bar/restaurant that welcomes morris dancers who want to sing, just because it's so unusual to create your own entertainment... the management's assumption is, it must be bothering people, even if every other table of diners says, we like it. Meanwhile the muzak is so loud in a lot of places that you can't even carry on a conversation. *That's* bothersome. (but, muzak is ordinary, so therefore it must be ok, while actually singing to make real music/expression, is "weird" and therefore bad) So my first response to something very unusual, like climbing a bridge and hoisting an unusual flag, is: wow, that's amazing, I wonder what they were hoping to communicate? not: what if it was a bomb. (because a bomb is more likely to turn up in a highly populated area, among people doing very ordinary things)(and like the folks in NYC or London or Boston or wherever, I am not going to let that "threat" change the way I live, nor am I going to stop doing unusual things like dance and sing in public)
Anyway. Canoeing is awesome, I have some very fond memories of doing that. I'm sure you'll have a great time, and enjoy getting wet!
S
Post a Comment