The next morning, Greg cooked eggs and bacon for breakfast. John sat in the warm kitchen, sipped tea, smelled the familiar scents of cooking, and still couldn't shake the thought that it'd been more than a dream. He could feel the fur and the hot breath on his neck.
After breakfast, they walked along the edge of the property, past a lake, a crumbling stone tower, and through a forest where the trees wove so closely together than they almost blocked out the sun.
"It goes on for miles," Greg said. "I was looking at the maps. If they're still right, at least. Some of it might've been sold off. Maybe I should sell some of it off."
After breakfast, they walked along the edge of the property, past a lake, a crumbling stone tower, and through a forest where the trees wove so closely together than they almost blocked out the sun.
"It goes on for miles," Greg said. "I was looking at the maps. If they're still right, at least. Some of it might've been sold off. Maybe I should sell some of it off."
"Don't do that," John said, before he could stop himself. "Sorry. I know it's your place. But it's just… It's amazing here. And if you sold it, anything might happen to it."
"Might have to at some point, if we really do get all the repairs done." Greg grinned. "But since we can't get anyone to come and do the work anyway, we're fine for now, right?"
"I tried the next town over. They're all 'busy' as well." He stopped short. "We should look at the library, right? If everyone thinks this place is cursed, there must be something about it in there. There's a whole stack of leather bound journals and letters and things."
"You think one of them's going to be along the lines of Dear Aunt Milly, I hear you are cursed and there may be demons inhabiting your house and/or person, what can we do to help? Love, John?"
"There might be! At least it's something to look for. Something to do."
"Yeah, all right. You go on, I'm just going up to the point there." He nodded to a jut of rock that stuck out into the lake. "I'll be back in time to drag you out of the books before lunch."
John didn't like it, but there wasn't any logic behind the sharp tug of worry in the back of his brain. It was the middle of the day. All Greg had to do to get back was follow the shoreline.
"Okay. Just...be careful."
"I promise not to get eaten by trees. Go on."
It took the best part of an hour to walk back, and he went directly to the library, and to the journals. He picked one up at random and flipped through it. It was a woman's handwriting, but there was no name inside the cover. Most of the entries concerned the management of the estate, but pressed leaves and flowers also made their way between the pages, labeled with common and scientific names and with the location in the forest where she'd found them.
The book ended abruptly with a faded blue flower. This one had no name. The text under it was a quick scrawl that took some effort to decipher. It read: Georgiana found it near the point. I hope to God it's not all starting up again.
102 comments:
Ha, Sherlock virtually dragged me to the computer when I got in the door, telling me I had to read this.
Think you should be in charge of bedtime stories now, Danger ;)
What will happen to our dashing...slightly furry hero? And his underwear modelling sidekick???
Ha! I don't know - good job you have to do the next part! :)
you're meeeeaaaaaaan and here was I just thinking I'd cook you curry tonight. Maybe not.... ;)
Pleaseeeeeee?
I was thinking there could be some sort of ancestral, more or less benign wolf spirit...thing. That has possessed him. And has possessed others in the past.
I'm certain that the wolf-thing could have eaten an unsuspecting underwear model the other night, if it had been inclined. It clearly didn't think he looked as tasty as his human side did ;)
John will have to read faster! Find out the truth! :)
Curry coming up. Because you pouted. That's where Sherlock gets it from, you know...
I think I got it from him, to be honest...
Probably!
Bit worried by your chapter title, I must say. Or...Greg the part-wolf-part-florist is worried, anyway.
He'll be fine if he doesn't eat any! I just didn't want people wondering unnecessarily what flower it was at the end, though perhaps it was obvious enough anyway? I don't know.
It already smells like curry. :)
You say it smells like curry the moment I chuck the spices in to toast off! That's the first bit!
That's because it does!
It nearly is a curry now.
I should start making naan too. I always buy them. They must be easy.
That would be amazing.
I'll do them next time I have the day off ;)
Wolf's bane, forsooth! (I think I'm with Sherlock on this one--WRITE MORE!) (Please?)
When I tell John to come and taste his bit of the curry he always bounces across the room, looking all excited. And once he's tasted it, and told me to put more chillies in it (he always does), he sets the table out and looks at me expectantly like the dogs do when I cook...
I'd deny it, but I'm afraid it might be true... I love your curry.
I love you.
Sherlock is winding up to being very excited about bikes and Mycroft at the weekend :)
You ought to sneak in a bit of Scorpion Chilli (or whichever the current hottest one in the world is), Greg, and see if you can beat him to the 'add more chillies' comment. Or do you think you could handle even something as hot as that, John? :)
I love you too. And it is pretty exciting!
Joolz - no idea, I've never had one. Are they a lot hotter?
It is. But there's two days to go - he needs to moderate his excitement! He obviously won't run out...but he'll wear me out!
It apparently packs the punch of 400 jalapenos, John. I'm afraid I'm a complete wuss chilli-wise myself, so I wouldn't know, but it sounds pretty explosive - going in and coming out, I'm sure. ;)
I'd be scared to touch it or have it in the kitchen!
Four hundred...that is a lot. I don't know. I'd try it, at least.
You're a brave man, John. :)
I'm afraid I'm with Greg on this one, I'd be too scared to touch it in case it got on to anything else - just image if you had an 'itch' - it doesn't bear thinking about! ;)
I'd buy a full hazmat suit before touching it. And deep clean the kitchen after.
Roll on the weekend.
Hope everyone is having a reasonable day.
There was a story on the news last night about "chili heads", people who eat chilks so hot the people cooking with them have to wear gas masks, and I mean that quite literally.
O_O
How's it going on your side, gentlemen? :)
Very busy.
People have been hospitalised here in curry eating comps.
... Everyone needs a hobby?
This week seems to have been the longest week ever and it still has another day to go!! I can't wait for weekend either Greg and I haven't had to deal with criminals all week!!
I hope you've had a decent day John and that school was fun Sherlock :-)
I bet I did the only meeting in which the accounts section included colour coded paperclips. Leading to the comment of "no, you want the blue paper clip".
Ha, SH!
(I have a niece like that.)
(Actually, I'm not totally unlike that myself... :D)
We're not allowed paperclips.
Did have a meeting which included the sentence 'I'm doing the girlfriend in dotted blood, because Dimmock's lot stole our sexual relations pen.'
...
Is that like a 'talking stick' - you can only do it if you've got it. ;)
A sexual relations pen???!!!???
Joolz - wasted on Dimmo if it is ;)
Anon - we use coloured pens to mark the relationships between people involved in our investigation on our board where we map out what's going on. We currently don't have a 'sexual relations' pen (purple), because, allegedly, DI Dimmock's team stole it from our board. We do still have a 'blood ties' pen (red, imaginatively). And a 'friendship' pen, and a 'business associate' pen. And other pens, as needed.
I have a purple pen you can borrow if you want to. It has glitter in the end.
That's very kind, Sherlock. But I think nightshift have a raid planned tonight, to bring our pen home...
I'm leaving in a moment. Do you want to get John to help you weigh out flour for pizza dough?
Yes!!! Can you bring olives?
please!
Green or black or both?
Both!!
Not sure there will be any left by pizza time...
He is a one person cloud of olive locusts.
But he did remember to ask nicely!
pizza sounds like a lovely dinner and homemade pizza sounds even better, I hope you all enjoy it whatever ends up being on it :-)
I'm not doing a night shift during full moon with you any more, Boss. Unless John packs a chew toy and a tin of dog food in your bag, instead of nuts and chocolate.
Very prudent, Sally. :)
I'm neither a florist nor a werewolf, ta.
Danger - you helped him with those olives! As I did. A bit.
Possibly a few...
Sally - wolfsbane pizza?
don't encourage her.
It'd be useful, having a few wolves on the books at work, I think.
Tomorrow, as Sherlock told me at bedtime, is Mycroft day :)
Better get some sleep.
Aw, that's so sweet!
G'night, guys. :)
Did you get a very early Sherlock because it's Mycroft Day today?
Happy Mycroft day gentlemen :-)
Have fun at school Sherlock. Are you doing anything for children in need? My little ones went off in their pyjamas this morning ready for a day of spotty themed fun :-)
We've made an arrest. He's very unhappy. I am very happy!
AnonyBob - he didn't have to wear his uniform. And he got to take in a pillow, blanket/sleeping bag for their readathon this afternoon, when they all snuggle down and read a book.
I pushed for a sponsored silence ;)
Yay for your arrest, L!
Why the pjs and pillows? Is there a bed-type holiday today? (Because I would be strongly in favor, if it were... :))
RR - It's Children in Need day and various places are having pyjama parties as fundraisers. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008dk4b
Oh! Well, that's a very nice idea, getting children involved in charity in a fun way. Thanks, SH!
Hey, Sherlock- I saw this and thought you might like it. Someone took a whole bunch of really high quality photos of animal fetuses in utero, and I think it's so amazing. The dolphin and the elephant are particularly cool! Somehow I never really thought about dolphins having belly buttons... And as a chick-rearer, you may appreciate the penguin ones.
http://www.beautyexists.net/art/incredible-images-of-animals-in-the-womb/
Those are AMAZING I'm looking at them on John's phone and I can see them bigger when we get home and he brought the bike.
John, I guess you're on the bike. Everything's...I could really do with seeing you. Everything went to shit this afternoon. I just..I don't know. I'm in A&E. I'm okay. Need some clean clothes. And you. Mainly you. I'll text which hospital. Leave Sherlock with Mrs H, or...something. If you can.
Glad you like them! I just found ANOTHER thing I think you'd like, I'm on fire today. It's a brains in jars museum! And it's actually in my state, which never happens. I'm going ASAP.
http://www.damnedct.com/the-cushing-center-new-haven/
...and didn't see the new comment before I posted. I hope you're okay, Lestrade.
Hope things are not too awful Greg.
Just got home. I'm leaving in a minute. Are you sure you're okay? I love you.
Yeah. I mean, I've got a cut. They might stitch it.
Another boy got stabbed. We were right there. We did everything we could. He didn't make it.
I'm so sorry, love. I've got some clothes for you. I'll be there soon.
You've probably done it hundreds of times
Long time since someone died right with me. And he was just a kid.
It doesn't really get easier. What happened?
We were searching the house. They chased him home. They'd already got him when the burst in the door. Like a pack of animals. Revenge attack.
We did everything, I mean, tried to stem the bleeding, then CPR when we started losing him.
They were going for us, for helping him. Luckily we had more people upstairs.
I'm sorry it happened, to the boy and to all of you. I know you did everything you could to help.
He hasn't done anything. I mean, it might sound like he had something to do with the first stabbing, from what I said. He didn't. Don't want any of you thinking he did.
Then why did they want to hurt him?
Because one of his family hurt one of their friends.
Oh Lestrade, that sounds like a completely terrible day. I'm glad you're (physically) okay(ish)....and so sorry that the boy isn't. I wish I knew what to say, but I don't....but then, John does, and that's more important anyway.
Hopefully you have some time tonight/tomorrow to take it easy and allow yourself to feel what you need to feel, and soak up lots of hugs from John and Sherlock and Mycroft.
Ella
That's a stupid reason to hurt someone.
Agreed, Sherlock.
-Ella
Most reasons for hurting other people are pretty stupid, yeah. I'm not sure if we're coming home soon, but I hope so. How are you and Mrs H doing?
We're making soup and bread so Lestrade doesn't have to cook and Mrs Hudson says he's very brave.
Lestrade--like Ella, I wish I knew the right thing to say, and I'm glad you have John with you.
(You okay, too, John?)
That's a stupid reason to hurt someone.
You are absolutely right, Sherlock--as John said, most reasons for hurting other people are pretty stupid.
I'm...as all right as I can be, I suppose.
It's very stupid. And we are coming home.
Thank you for being so good, and thanks to you too mrs H
John--I know you know this, but just a reminder, after you're done taking care of Lestrade and Sherlock, it's okay (read: necessary) to take care of yourself as well. However you do that. Take some time to feel what you need to feel, too.
-Ella
Sending best wishes your way, because there's really not much I can say.
Having seen the back of my jacket think we're all glad I had a stab vest on.
... Whoa.
You all take extra care of yourselves and each other tonight, okay?
((O.O))
What RR said...
Ella
Very glad about the stab vest, yes.
Ella - I'll try.
flipping heck Greg it sounds like you've had a seriously scary day!!
I am very glad you're as ok as you are. Good luck getting your head sorted with it all you too John.
I assume you would've said if this weren't the case, but are all the other officers/DIs/etc who were on the scene okay?
Ella
Oh goodness! I hope you're all doing OK tonight. Take care of each other and I hope you can all manage some rest.
Ella - a few cuts and bruises.
Uniform officers with us were heroic, disarming the ones who didn't run off, chasing the ones that did. Saved us, for sure.
I think it is particularly appropriate tonight for me to wish you all a Shabbat shalom, a peaceful Saturday.
Bloody hell, Lestrade.
Very glad to hear that you and the other officers were relatively unscathed, so sorry to hear about the young lad.
Glad you're home with you boys, I hope there's lots of hugs for everyone tonight.
Thanks.
Mycroft got here a bit ago, with Anthea. Very glad to have him here. Wish it was for longer than the weekend.
Because it sounds like a random happy story is in order:
The Make-A-Wish Foundation and many citizens have turned San Francisco into Gotham City for a day, and a young Batkid is saving people from crime.
http://liveblog.abcnews.go.com/Event/LIVE_UPDATES_Batkids_Make-a-Wish_Transforms_San_Francisco_Into_Gotham
(Gotta love a kid who, when the M-A-W Foundation asks what he wants, says he wants to BE Batman, rather than MEET Batman. Even if Batman is a rather troubled character....)
And welcome home, Mycroft!
Ella
yikes.
really glad you had that stab vest on! wow.
I have to say my second or third thought was, thank goodness all they had were knives, over here half of them would have had guns and it could have been a massacre. Still, officers chasing kids with knives: big damn heroes alright. wow.
S
We've all had soup and bread and biscuits, courtesy of Mrs H (she and Anthea were convinced to stay and eat with us), and now Mycroft is playing something he wrote on the guitar for us. I'm feeling very grateful right now for all of them.
I'm glad that the day has ended in peace and with you all together, at least.
Ella
I hope you were able to catch them all, and that there isn't any more escalation of the feud. Glad you're home and relatively okay, L. I hope, for all of you, a good night's sleep and untroubled dreams.
Post a Comment