Dire sounding subject line is actually from the most cheerful-insomnia related poem I know:
Cut if you will with sleep's dull knife
each day to half its length, my friend.
The years that time takes off my life
he'll take from the other end!
It's either Edna St Vincent Millay or Dorothy Parker. I can't remember. Also, accuracy not guaranteed, it's very late.
I was already up and getting some water when Sherlock came and found me in the kitchen. He'd had a nightmare about giant skeletons clattering up the stairs, and he said the worst part was that they never got there, they just kept coming up forever and he had to wait for them. I can sympathise.
I made him some warm milk, which he declared acceptable but not as good as Lestrade's, and stayed with him until he fell asleep again. He didn't ask to come back to bed with us, which I hope is a good sign. Might let him stay home again tomorrow if he wants to, we'll see. I think he's ready for school again though.
Work, thankfully, is not yet ready for Lestrade. I hope not for at least a few more days. He might be all right to go back, but I'm not sure I am.
Cut if you will with sleep's dull knife
each day to half its length, my friend.
The years that time takes off my life
he'll take from the other end!
It's either Edna St Vincent Millay or Dorothy Parker. I can't remember. Also, accuracy not guaranteed, it's very late.
I was already up and getting some water when Sherlock came and found me in the kitchen. He'd had a nightmare about giant skeletons clattering up the stairs, and he said the worst part was that they never got there, they just kept coming up forever and he had to wait for them. I can sympathise.
I made him some warm milk, which he declared acceptable but not as good as Lestrade's, and stayed with him until he fell asleep again. He didn't ask to come back to bed with us, which I hope is a good sign. Might let him stay home again tomorrow if he wants to, we'll see. I think he's ready for school again though.
Work, thankfully, is not yet ready for Lestrade. I hope not for at least a few more days. He might be all right to go back, but I'm not sure I am.
201 comments:
1 – 200 of 201 Newer› Newest»Warm milk is good. I hope you both --all --can sleep now. Sherlock's nightmare reminds me of a picture book. Although that turned out not quite so scary. Good night.
rsf
I'm...happy for work to wait.
You're all doing so well working through this :-)
I hope Sherlock was ok with whatever decision you made this morning and that work stay quiet until you two are both ready for Greg to be back at work :-)
Have a nice day together
I think the two of you are going to need some time to work through this together. You both went through extremely traumatic experiences, it's natural for you both to be affected.
Talking's good. I know it really doesn't come easily for you John, but I think it's something you both need - for and from each other.
I don't know if the Met provides a counselling service, and I can understand if neither of you wants to talk to a complete stranger about any of this, but it may be worth bearing in mind.
I hope Mycroft got back to school OK this morning, and that Sherlock is OK, whether he's home or at school.
I hope you have a good, peaceful day.
Sherlock has gone in, but Mrs N knows what's happened, and he and she both know to call us anytime, if he wants to come home, or just check on us.
I'm shocked guys I really am, I know u know what is best for your boys n I trust u are doing what u think's right but back to school for either boy seems very quick after what they've been through. Mycroft is of an age where I suppose he has to have a say in what he does but he knows exactly how u must have felt Lestrade n it must have brought back terrible memories for him as well as the fear if what would happen to u. He's old enough to say what he wants to do but sometimes even he needs someone to tell him what's best for him.
Sherlock was really young when u all met but he went through an experience he wasn't old enough to properly understand at the time but the memories will be inside his head and quite probably running around with the new ones right now. Mycroft going back to school n him having to spend a long time away are big things after whats happened.
I know n trust that everything u do for your boys u do with much thought n the very best of intentions but I can't help feeling a little shocked n sad that they are both back out in the world getting on with things so quickly especially when u yourselves admit that neither of u are ready for that.
Sorry if I've uppset u by saying it but I worry about u all sticking together t get through this rather than each doing your own thing.I hope it all goes well for both of them and for u 2.
trixy
I hope he has a good day Greg and that you to do as well :-)
Trixy - I honestly don't know if weve done the right thing. I very rarely do.
Having just spent a weekend cooped up in tge flat, frightened, Mycroft no doubt has good reasons to want to return to "normal" routine. There may be aftershocks, but I know Anthea will be watching. And Sherlock may benefit from routine too, although I expect he' ll be clingy. John, you should probably get them both someone to talk to though.
rsf
Any parent who says they KNOW what to do for the best with their kids is either kidding themselves or doesn't really care about the effect of the decisions on the kids.
I can really see your point about the boys Trixy but I try and rest on the other part of what you said and that is that Greg and John will always do the best they can for them. I haven't seen one decision that they got 'wrong' (it happens to everyone) that they haven't changed when either of the boys made it clear it wasn't working for them so I'm confident that whenever or if ever the boys show trouble with this situation Greg and John will be right there sorting it out and helping them through it.
Hows your day going Greg, John? Did you take Sherlock to school this morning? I hope you're both doing OK :-)
Yeah, we took him in. He seemed okay. He called us a bit ago, but didn't say he wanted to come home. Just checked up on us. Wanted to know what we were doing, that sort of thing. Told us Mrs T had come and sat with him at lunch.
We've been to the Yard. I went for a bit of a debrief. Seems like he's going to do it all the hard way. Which i guessed.
Then we brought my bike back.
Very glad to hear that ttid was caught.
It's not really any of my business, but for what it's worth, I don't think there's anything wrong with the boys going back to school. First, they did have at least a little time to reassure themselves that you were back and safe. Second, going back to school is going to unconsciously reinforce the idea that things are "back to normal" as it were. Plus, they know they have the option of coming home if they need to. But that's just my two cents and I prefer to be doing things, myself.
Once again, I'm so glad that everyone was safe in the end.
ryo
I'm glad Sherlock sounded OK and what a lovely thing for Mrs T to do, he has some very lovely teachers :-)
Am I allowed to say I'm glad you've been out and about?
He was never going to go easy on this after all his hard work but you have plenty of evidence of planning and of what happened at weekend so however hard he tries to make it I'm sure that the result will be the right one :-)
I hope the bikes are happy to be reunited, you'll have to take them out for a spin somewhere soon.
I'm sorry the night was short on sleep, but after what happened I guess that's to be expected. I'm glad both Sherlock and Mycroft felt comfortable enough to go back to school and get back into their routines.
No matter what any of us say here, it's not us raising them. We see a small window into your lives, and to be making judgements on what you do or the decisions you make is just ignorant.
I think you'll always do what you feel is best, and the boys, as well as yourselves, will know that.
I hope the rest of the day is peaceful and that you and John were able to enjoy some time together.
I wouldn't call it ignorant, Piplover. I mean, as humans, we make judgements all the time, basrd on tiny glimpses of other people. As a policeman I've virtually made a career of it.
As long as you don't expect everyone to agree with the judgements you make I don't think we can help hut judge.
Thanks, Pip.
What, you mean I can't be all powerful and knowing and dispense advice from my lofty tower? But Pip, that's my favorite pastime! D:
Seriously though, I don't think there's any single "right" way to deal with a traumatic event. Not even for the same person and different events. You just have to feel your way along and keep your options available.
That said, Mycroft, I hope the metaphoric skeletons weren't climbing up your stairs last night. I'm glad you've got Anthea there with you as a connection back to what's happening (or not happening) in London.
rsf
Just quick, I clicked on the Houston Zoo giraffes and they've got people feeding them!
http://www.houstonzoo.org/webcam/giraffes/platform-cam/
rsf
Lestrade said we can make biscuits and take them to Mycroft at the weekend and I'm making the chocolate swirl ones for him because he likes them the most.
That was me
Yeah, I'm not so traumatised I'm referring to myself in the third person.
When the topic is biscuits, my first assumption is Sherlock.
(Did you get to feed the giraffes in Ireland? I wish the zoo here would let ordinary people feed the animals.)
rsf
I think it'll do us all good to see each other again at the weekend. I'll see what shifts I'm on at work.
Hi Sherlock :-) Making biscuits to take to Mycroft at the weekend sounds like a wonderful idea. Chocolate swirl biscuits sound delicious - do you have a recipe? (Mycroft, I'm just a little jealous you get biscuits handmade and delivered to you!)
Lestrade, John - I'm glad to hear you got our and about a little bit today, and glad you got the bike back. Hope you managed to spend a bit of quality time together too.
It's like this one http://www.greenandblacks.com/us/recipes/online-recipes/scrummy-chocolate-swirl-shortbread.html and they're really REALLY yummy and brilliant and fun to make too and they look swirly.
Those do look good, Sherlock. I might try translate that recipe and make them this weekend.
That looks like a tasty recipe, Sherlock, but if you want the swirls to look neat, try rolling the log out to eight inches like you would play dough instead of squeezing it. (You can make really elaborate cookies that way, if the dough is sturdy enough.)
rsf
it's hard to roll because the chunks of chocolate stick out and sometimes it tries to unroll and if Lestrade does it it's sort of neat because he's got really big hands but I have to squeeze it more because my hands are smaller and sometimes it goes funny shaped.
Im not ignorant enough not t notice where Im not welcome Piplover
Thanks pandaob for your reply your right they both do so well with the boys.
sorry John and Lestrade.
Trixy
I know it takes a lot of practice to make the millefiore cookies come out with the tiny patterns, Sherlock, but I thought you might like to look at them. If you practice with fimo, or just two colors, it gets easier eventually. But I think you're right. Big hands really help.
rsf
Trixy - As far as I'm concerned, you've nothing to be sorry for. You were just expressing an opinion. As is everyone else.
Like I said, I don't know if we're doing the right thing by the boys. All I can say is that we're trying our best. And if we didn't get it wrong sometimes, I don't think we'd be human.
I hope Mycroft's okay. Sherlock seems all right, but his school is very good at taking extra care of the kids.
Sherlock's school sounds really lovely Greg I'm glad they look after him so well. I hope he went to bed OK tonight :-)
trixy - really and truthfully we all have opinions on what's best for Greg, John and the boys and we all tend to share them in the sure and certain understanding that John and Greg are fully capable of ignoring us and doing what they were going to do anyway or they'll engage in conversation and it might change their view. Really it's no different than peope do at the school gates and I sometimes get on the 'what do they know and how dare they say that' thing with friends at school but in reality as long as the guardians make the decision for themselves in the end open discussion can be very useful in making things clear in your mind.
I hope you're having a relaxing evening John.
thats all i thought I was doing panda but i guess itsdifferent whenyour new than when u know people.
Lestrade I'm know you and John do wonders for the boys,im sure theyr both ok.
il probably keep reading but bye.
Trixy
Sending all my thoughts for good sleep to you boys and all the Badgers that need it.
Trixy,
What I did learn in the last anons vs logged on users wank is that Piplover is very annoying and likes to police the blogs, just ignore her.
Seconding Kholly - hope everyone gets a decent night's sleep.
John thanked piplover for her comment so really im respecting his feeligns on his blog anon please dont let my datf comment cause anymore trouble here.
trixy
Trixy, I'm really sorry that my comment came off wrong. I didn't mean to say that you were ignorant, or your comment was. I only meant to say that we only see a small slice of what this family does and what's going on. Just as you expressed shock that they were sending the boys back to school so soon, I expressed my opinion that we shouldn't judge.
As for anonymous, I'm sorry you think I'm annoying and that I'm policing. If you have a problem, please contact me off the blog. I will say something if people are being rude to others, but I honestly try to do it politely.
John, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bring drama to your blog.
(I looked it up and the poem is Edna St. Vincent Millay, John, titled Midnight Oil. :) I wish I had even a fraction of your memory for poetry!)
For what it's worth (and it's not worth much, I know), I think you two made a very good decision about school-going for Mycroft and Sherlock--you kept them close right at first, and then gave them a reasonable amount of control over their choices.
Sherlock, that recipe looks WONDERFUL! I'm sure Mycroft will enjoy them very much. (And Lestrade will indeed be happy with his leather jacket being not-stinky. That was really nice of you to think of.)
And I just wanted to say--I'm so very glad you're home safe, L, and that that...I can't call him a person...is now off the streets.
Oh, and I guess it's a day late now, but happy belated birthday, Anony!
Thanks RR :-)
piplover dont worry ive tried lots of times t pluck up the guts ti comment and my ability t say the wrong thign is why I always havent. John is right t b upset but im glad lestrade didnt mind. ive seen people use the cover of disaster ot get involved before but then im less robust than the commentr i was thinking about n less pleasent t.
really really really not a problem plaese deont worry.
have a nice day at school Sherlock n whateva your doing John n Lestrade
Trixy
Thanks Trixy. We're going out on the bikes, as it's a beautiful morning here. Got to enjoy weather like this while we can.
Hope you have a good day too.
weather good enough for a bike ride really can't be missed at this time of year!
I hope you're both having fun :-)
I fetched some paperwork from the Yard, so I'm doing that.
John is breaking some sort of World Record for Fond-Yet-Exasperated Eye-Rolling and offering me about eight cups of tea per minute.
I'm glad you're getting back in the swing of things :-)
John is a very patient man but I'm sure he's happy you want to be back at it eventhough he probably would prefer to be doing something a little more entertaining ;-)
I've given him enough drama in his life recently, I think.
I did stop to sing at him when I started going a bit mad with the paperwork, and cooked him an omlette. And now I'm going to see Sherlock do his Kung Fu class, which is very exciting.
Probably more to do with differing definitions of "time off"... :)
Have fun at the Kung Fu class!
Sounds like a lovely day. And I bet Sherlock will love having you see him kung fuing.
rsf
what a treat for Sherlock being able to show off his skills to his number one DI :-)
I always imagine you'll have a lovely singing voice, no idea why really.
Boss, I've just seen the shifts you changed when you came in. Are you sure? No one expects that of you, you know. I can shuffle it around if you change your mind.
I want to do it. Not like I'm sleeping anyway.
Sherlock was fantastic! I'm very impressed, Kiddo. You were brilliant.
assuming you've discussed it with John and he's happy then working through the quiet hours might be a really good idea. Sleep may be easier to come by when you can hear other people around the flat and there is a little more light around :-)
I'm glad Sherlock did well although I never doubted he would, I hope cake was/is nice if thats still todays plan.
Is be lying if I said I thought John was entirely happy about it.
truth be told I wouldn't be if I was him in fact entirely happy would be a long way from what I was feeling. I still assume you wouldn't do it if you thought it would upset him though and I can see the advantages of it from your side :-)
Is be lying if I said I thought John was entirely happy about it.
Makes sense on all sides, though.
Are you enjoying the kung fu, Sherlock, as well as being great at it? (Because that's important, too. :))
(By which I meant, it makes sense you'd want to do nights for a bit, L, and also makes sense that John--and likely Sherlock--would be a bit uncertain about it.)
AnonyBob - it's not really about advantages. I just feel like I have to get back in and do it. I don't know. A lot of you here seem to think I have high standards I set myself. My Nonna, after I got in trouble as a teenager, said to me "Live up to your own standards, not down to other people's expectations of you." And I suppose it stuck, sort of. Not that I mean I think you have low expectation of me, but I know no one would 'mind' if I took more time off, or if I didn't do nights for a bit, but I feel like I need to, for me.
Sherlock said he'd come with me and kung-fu anyone who tried anything.
you do hold yourself to a high standard its not that we have low expectations but its not wrong that you have high standards it really isn't. I can fully understand you wanting to get back to working properly, I know from previous conversations on here that there is nothing worse for you than not being busy when you want to be so it is good for you to get back and get back properly if you AND John are ready for it.
The highest standard you hold yourself to is to be the best partner to John and the best guardian to the boys that you can be and like I said I'm confident that you will work the shifts only if those who matter most to you are ok, maybe not happy but ok, with you doing it.
I would be like you and want to get back to it :-)
Sherlock is so cute when he wants to protect you :-)
I'm not sure he is ready. I don't know. He says it's okay, but he would. But I don't know if he's not ready because he's really not ready, or if he's not ready but he sort of thinks he might never be, and the only way to do it is just to do it.
Don't know if I'm ready either. But I've always been the jump-straight-in rip-the-plaster-off sort.
if you are willing to say are you working some days first or straight into the nights?
I've been in a similar position to John (partner hit by car cycling home from work in the dark resulting in broken back, the second he was fixed he was determined to be back on his bike and it terrified the life out of me, cycling only in day light to begin with was the compromise) so I really feel for him right now but at the same time I am right behind you making decisions for yourself because control and self determination is something you really need.
Start tomorrow, catching up. Then Friday and Saturday nights. Hope they're busy.
I'm fairly sure whatever I do won't be right for someone.
I'm not promoting selfishness except I am really. If its right for you do it :-)
I hope you're having a nice evening with lots of smiles and time to relax :-)
If its right for you do it
This, yeah. Don't worry. It's okay.
There is no right way, or right time to go back to work after something like a traumatic event. Like Anonybob says, if it feels right for you to go back to work on nights, then go for it.
The important thing is that you and John are aware of each other and communicating about what you might need from each other as you all work through this. It sounds like you're already doing this, so...
I hope you all have a peaceful, cuddle-filled evening and night.
~A from NW
(Unsolicited advice alert - feel free to completely ignore)
Lestrade - Anonybob is absolutely correct in everything she's said. Perhaps the only thing I could add, is that perhaps you and John might want to talk it through a bit more. Not because I think you should change your mind, but so that you can both really understand what each other's (and possibly your own) concerns are, and if there's anything you can do to mitigate those concerns.
For example, if John think he's going to be awake all night worried, perhaps you could arrange for him to text you at certain times if he's awake, and for you to call him back?
I just think that maybe you'd both feel a bit more comfortable if you both understood this a bit better: "But I don't know if he's not ready because he's really not ready, or if he's not ready but he sort of thinks he might never be, and the only way to do it is just to do it."
Easing back in with a catch-up day tomorrow before hitting the night shifts sounds like a very good idea :-)
This, yeah. Don't worry. It's okay.
I think I can give you a cast iron guarantee that I will be worrying. But thanks.
Nameless...yeah. I don't really have a way of answering you that I'm comfortable sharing.
Lestrade - oh bugger, I was trying to be helpful and sounds like I managed to be the exact opposite; sorry :-(
No, you didn't, it's fine. It's really not you.
L, I do think you have high standards, and I deeply admire that.
I also had a strong feeling that you were going to choose to work nights for a bit--not so much for practical reasons (although I wouldn't be surprised if you found it easier to sleep during the day just at first), but more...I don't know, to take something back? I can't really put a finger on it, but it makes sense to me on an emotional level.
(I also think a lot of texting/calling back and forth to and from John might be on the agenda... :))
Sherlock said he'd come with me and kung-fu anyone who tried anything.
This ^^^ is lovely. :)
hows the evening been gentlemen?
John I know we are no consolation but if you want company when Greg's at work I'm fairly sure you'll find someone here ;-)
(if you are going to text/ring during work time don't have set times for it you'll only worry if the other one doesn't ring when they 'should' and life doesn't work to a plan. text/ring/blog is a good way to keep connected though.)
Yeah, we don't usually have set times. Just whenever.
You need to do whatever you need to do to take back control from the arsehole, living well is definitely the best revenge in this situation and that person should not be allowed to change anything that you don't want changed.
Lancs. Anon
(Sorry if this comes off a little belligerent, but I'm tired and I *do* feel strongly about it!)
I'll keep my fingers crossed that going back helps settle your mind a bit. Maybe the routine will allow you sleep a bit more.
Everyone is different when it comes to dealing with situations. Sometimes people find themselves sleeping more, while others can't sleep at all. You just have to try to find out what works for you.
I will say just to be careful you don't push yourself too hard. Sometimes it's so difficult to not do anything when you feel physically fine, but the mind has a way of sneaking up on you and catching you off guard.
Tiptoe-ing in to say that I really hope the lack of comments and posts tonight means everyone is getting some sleep tonight (and not just that everyone is being very good about not getting electronic screen glare in their eyes). :)
The latter.
Sorry to hear that :-(
You back into work at some point today, Lestrade?
Yeah, day shift.
Although going for my witness statement soon.
I hope work is going ok Greg and that giving the witness statement is not too hard a thing.
Is there plenty to keep you busy? I'm guessing there will be given how it usually is but I hope you're busy enough for time to move quickly through the day :-)
Good luck with the witness statement, I can only imagine how difficult that is going to be. Just remember that no matter how hard the questions are the people asking are on your side. Also remember there are no points for being 'tough' about it all.
Might you be able to meet John for lunch or coffee afterwards?
AnonyBob - yeah, it's busy, catching up and setting the team on courses of action for cases.
Anon - thanks, yeah, not looking forward to it. And I'm hoping John will be free.
busy is very good and getting plans in place for your team, you really have hit the ground running :-)
How you doing John? I hope you're having a busy day yourself :-)
The latter.
I'm sorry. :( (Not enormously surprised, but I am sorry.)
I hope the witness statement goes quickly and you're able to follow it with some quiet time with John.
L - I will be. Am, I mean. Free.
Want a coffee?
You'll be pleased to hear my sergeant has tampered with the shift rotas.
bloody sergeants ;)
On my way. How so? Or should I say, how much so?
Put herself on nights with me.
:D
Purely for the pleasure of your company, I've no doubt.
Thanks, Sally. You're a good person.
are you happy with that Greg?
No more or less happy whichever officer I work with.
then I guess the fact it make John happier means its a good thing :-)
I hope the afternoon is keeping you as busy as the morning :-)
Yeah, it does seem to have made John happier.
I've been thinking about this Greg and I consider that I might just be a little cross if I was in your position.
I hope coffee was nice and the rest of your afternoon is continuing to be busy and time to home time is moving by :-)
Well nothing I can think of to do that's practical seems to make anyone feel better about the situation, so If she can, then well done to her.
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say or do anything to make this harder for you.
Whatever works to balance out the needs of all of you is good. And Sally may have done it for her own reasons too. In her shoe so wolud I.
No, I know. i mean, I would never assume you would ever try to make anything harder for me.
There isn't a guidebook to how you should react when your lover's kidnapped, just like there isn't for when someone grabs you and shoves a knife in your ribs, so we're neither of us going to know what to do.
No. I suppose not. We'll work it out though... right?
Well nothing I can think of to do that's practical seems to make anyone feel better about the situation, so If she can, then well done to her.
well that statement right there is exactly the reason I would be cross but I know I have different opinions to many people on the rights people have to decide for themselves and the need to sometimes be able to take control and make decisions for yourself because you need to prove to yourself that you are fully capable of sorting out your own life.
I hope you're sorted and home on time :-)
Please ignore this if it's out of line, L--but might you like to join John at that Krav Maga class he was talking about taking?
I think that it would be very peculiar indeed if you weren't all of you still incredibly raw about all of this. This is not an everyday occurrence by any manner of means, to expect anyone to feel OK just yet would be very, very optimistic.
Greg, I severely doubt that anyone in this situation is doing anything because they feel you need help so much as that they feel the need to help because for that awful 25 hours last weekend there was nothing much they could do to help.
I stand by what I said last night, but it doesn't just apply one way. Ttid stole security and confidence from *all* of you and you all need to do what you need to do to get it back. Sometimes what you feel the need to do will be in conflict, but as long as you talk I'm sure you'll be able to work out ways to take back your security and confidence.
Lancs. Anon
John, I don't know how to answer that. Probably? we've always managed before.
Yes! Lancs Anon, you are brilliant. I mean, in a way I feel the same, wanting to *fix* things from a distance, because I wasn't able to do anything but try to throw up distractions for Sherlock that whole time. And I'm not even close to the situation! So yeah, Lestrade, if you're being fussed over a bit, it's not just you that's needing some fussing.
rsf
It's weird, isn't it? You've both been through appalling experiences before, and survived more or less intact, alone. In theory it should be easier to deal with an appalling experience together, but that's not always how it works in practice, is it?
I mean, you both had a terrible experience last weekend, but you both had different experiences, and you both have different ways of coping; sometimes it feels like there's not room enough to cope with your own experience and someone else's at the same time.
You guys can do this. I honestly have no idea if trying to be very careful with each other is the best way, but one way or another you will be OK, together.
Just takes a lot of time and lot of tears to get there, in my (not quite the same) experience.
Lestrade are you home soon? I made a thing to show you.
I will be home in just a few minutes. Can I have a clue what it is?
No you have to see it! And then we have to take a picture because John says we have to clean it up before dinner.
Now I am deeply intrigued, Sherlock... :)
(L, I don't know that it helps, but it can't hurt to remember that, after all, you did most of the heavy lifting towards getting yourself home yourself--tricking the guard, taking him down, making contact and providing a means for you to be located.)
That is...A-Maze-Ing, Sherlock.
I KNOW. It took AGES.
Come on guys, you can't keep us in suspenders like this!
Sherlock, there was a programme on Channel 4 earlier in the week where the guy was using a giant corn-flour swamp to try and make a bed. Actually I think you might like the whole series:
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/kevin-mcclouds-man-made-home/4od#3420476
Lancs. Anon
Well you must have been very patient and dedicated, then. Well done.
And did you talk John into baking? The flat smells lovely. Will any brownies survive long enough to get to Mycroft?
WHAT IS IT WHAT WHAT?!?!?!
*clears throat* Erm, I mean, would you care to share, gentlemen?
:D
Sherlock's made a really beautiful maze out of salt on the kitchen table.
I have to roll a marble through it to find the right path before we can clean it up.
We could be here a while.
That must have been REALLY hard to make, sand being so fine and blowy. WOW, Sherlock!
Please do take pictures... :)
you're such a lovely little boy Sherlock, I hope its really really hard ;-)
It IS really hard! And I didn't make John do the brownies he just did them. I'll save some for Mycroft if we can decorate them.
It's always good to make mazes hard! I'm sure Mycroft will love the brownies decorated or not :-)
It IS really hard!
I believe you totally! I remember once when I was just about your age, I read in a book that you could make sand art by coloring salt with chalk, and the color part worked okay, but the art part not so much, because the salt was a lot finer than sand and wouldn't at all go where I wanted it. I have no idea how you managed to make a maze out of it!
(Did you help John taste the brownies? Or were you too busy building your salt maze? :))
I want to put fudgy icing on them, and sprinkles. And maybe bits of chocolate.
That sounds yummy, Sherlock.
(Now I want brownies with fudgy icing. :D)
They only got done a little while ago so no one has any yet.
Ah.
However, if they smell good, I bet they taste really good, too.
Right, I've found the end, and we should clean up. Pasta for dinner?
Probably also ought to throw salt over our shoulders, just in case.
Why is that supposed to be lucky? Yes pasta. Can we throw it at the wall and see if it sticks? That's more fun than salt.
just throw the salt in with the pasta and have done with it ;-)
That must have been really hard Sherlock if it took Lestrade that long to do, well done you :-)
You should throw the salt with your right hand - your 'good' hand, over your left shoulder, to blind the devil as he sneaks up behind you whilst you're clearing up the spilt salt.
Yeah, you can throw the pasta at the wall.
I made it really big! Almost the whole table. There was a lot of time because John's sulking and not saying anything today.
Why is the right hand supposed to be better? And why would the devil sneak up on you while you were picking up salt??
I glad you found something to do that gave John some space to think then Sherlock, you're a good boy entertaining yourself.
I'm not...intentionally sulking. Sorry, Sherlock.
And why would the devil sneak up on you while you were picking up salt??
If I recall correctly, Sherlock, it's because salt used to be really very expensive and highly prized, so spilling it was considered very bad luck. And that got expanded to mean the devil was sneaking up behind you. (I'm not sure why throwing it over your shoulder was supposed to make things better, though!)
(I think John was probably more thinking than sulking, really.)
Sherlock - I think maybe John's just doing some thinking, rather than sulking. The giant table-sized salt maze sounds brilliant. I must admit, chocolate brownies sound pretty brilliant too :-)
Heh - snap, ReRe :-)
Ha, Nameless! :D
The right hand has just always been the 'good' side.
The word 'sinister' is from the Latin sinistra for 'left' (well, that's Italian, but I imagine Latin is close to it.) They used to burn left handed people at the stake. Lucky we don't do that anymore.
The devil was considered to be lurking to the left side of the righteous path.
I just do it becuase my Nonna used to.
But whyyyyy?
Why which bit, Sherlock?
Because people lived in a very scary time, with very little understanding of how things worked, and religion - good and evil - was a big part of how they lived and coped with what happened.
And if it made you feel safer, chucking a few grains of salt over your shoulder, you'd do it.
RR - re the question about krav maga, I have no strong feelings. If John wants to do it, for whatever reason - fitness, a hobby, self defence - then he should. If he doesn't, then I've had ample proof he can take care of himself already. It's really not something I've thought much about since he mentioned it.
No I mean why was the left hand bad. Just because most people are right handed? And I wouldn't do it because salt doesn't make you safer, anyone should know that even hundreds of years ago.
Sherlock, one of my sisters is left handed, and what I remember from her research about that very question is that one reason is that since tools are made for right-handed people (since there are a lot more right-handed people than left-handed people), left-handed people had a lot more accidents. Since most people used to believe that if bad things happened to you you were bad, that meant they believed that left-handed people were bad. Also, since left-handed-ness is rarer, it looked odd, and odd things were considered bad.
(I'm not sure about the throwing salt, though.)
no idea. probably.
And salt made you safer in terms of eating and preserving food...sort of.
RR, now I'm trying to think of tools that are harder to use left handed.
I'm pretty much stuck at scissors, which I don't imagine many people had in 'ye olde dayes'
scythes and harvesting tools?
L--I don't want to step in it, so again, ignore me (or tell me to get lost) if I am, but you were saying there didn't seem to be anything practical you could do, and, well, krav maga seemed like a practical thing you could do--and something you and John could do together. That's all.
I'm trying to think of tools that are harder to use left handed.
Well....swords with left-handed guards, shields, axes, scythes, sledges--almost any tool or weapon made with a handed grip, or anything a left-hander would be swinging one way while everyone else is swinging it the other way? (She wrote the report, I just proofread! :))
Oh, and writing tools--a left-hander would smudge the wet ink, and paper and parchment were very expensive. You wouldn't get injured, or injure anyone else, but that would still cause damage.
I'm refraining from making a comment on left handers and which way they swing, given I'm rather fond of one who could swing for me.
*face palm*
One day I'll learn to avoid that sort of setup... (Eh, who'm I kidding, I probably won't. :D)
I can honestly say I've never had any trouble with scythes.
which of course you use regularly John?
Naturally. In clearing my way through the jungle of Sherlock's room.
Is that why there's one resting by the coat stand? Thought Mrs H had you moonlighting as the Grim Reaper.
Sherlock, there are still cultures in the world where being left handed is a disadvantage, because the traditions in those cultures say that you use your right hand above the waist (for cleaning and things) and your left hand below the waist (for cleaning, especially yourself) and that means that when everyone reaches for the food in the middle of the table they have to use their right hands. So some of the "good side/bad side" is actually just sanitation.
rsf
ah yes child's room clearing is a perfect use for such a thing ;-)
L - only on alternate Thursdays. The rest of the time Mrs Hudson uses it on ceiling spiders.
AnonyBob - I use a flamethrower for Sherlock's room.
John - better make sure Spider stays off the ceilings then. Wouldn't want her chopped up.
Want to...do something tomorrow? A run? Or...something?
Yeah, that'd be nice. Maybe a ride too?
yeah, be good. I'll try and get some sleep sometime, too.
I can take Sherlock to the park or something after school if that'd help.
we'll see. Might just get some sleep after lunch.
I'm imagining he might be a bit... highly strung, when I'm gone.
I go on holiday and all hell breaks loose. Glad that you're all back together again. I finally got internet access on Monday, so have been following along, but can't comment on my phone.
Naples was ... interesting. Sherlock, we ate pizza everyday and saw several lizards. And the Naples Metro seems to operate on a need to know basis.
Sending warm fuzzy thoughts to anyone who needs them.
Thanks, SH.
On the upside, my guitar playing's improving no end.
*creeping in to hope (very quietyly) that everyone is getting at least some sleep tonight*
Are you two actually speaking to each other? And don't give me any rubbish about I might say it wrong, or I might upset him because you both know you love each other and you are reasonable people who can make allowances for any deficiencies in how you express things and can instead listen and ask questions rather than taking offence. You are both *so* upset by this situation (and who wouldn't be) that to worry about upsetting people becomes redundant.
I hope that I haven't offended anyone but I felt it needed saying
Lancs. Anon
Not as such.
No offense taken. You're probably right.
I think our coping strategies are... less compatible than would be ideal
I'm getting the sense that talking couldn't actually make things worse at the moment. Like last weekend, I wish that positive thoughts could make anything better. I hate that the two of you are hurting.
Lancs. Anon
Incompatible coping strategies is always a problem and you come from such different backgrounds with families which handle things in completely different ways that this is bound to happen.
Even if one of you is not a talker you need to communicate.
(Definite case of the unmarried marriage guidance counsellor so please feel free to ignore and/or shout)
Lancs. Anon
Like Lancs, I don't have any training or experience--but I have to say I think Lancs has a good point and if you can, you should talk.
Or ignore me, too. (Please don't be offended, though.)
My 'coping strategies' are probably misnamed since I'm not coping at all.
L - I don't know even what to suggest, but maybe we could talk later if Mrs Hudson will look after Sherlock for a while?
We celebrated our 32nd wedding anniversary yesterday by having a row. Nice one SH! We are a testament to the fact that an inability to communicate doesn't always wreck a relationship, just makes it bloody difficult at times.
Yeah, anything you want.
Talking to each other is good. Talking to someone trained to listen -- who can help you find ways to cope that might not occur to you -- might be good too. Especially if you have particular things you want to say that you don't want to say because they might be hurtful to each other.
L - what about you? What do you want?
Since talking is hard sometimes, especially when you are worried about hurting the other person, may I suggest an alternative? Maybe writing things down and then exchanging them might help get things started.
Not on here, but actual letters. Because sometimes things that seem completely logical to us are things that never even occurred to the other person.
Once the letters have been exchanged, you can address things which stick out, or which you might want clarified. But if nothing else, it would allow you put your thoughts down so that your head isn't full of them.
I suppose I want to talk. But I'm very aware that you generally find talking harder than I do, and I don't want you to feel like you're the one making all the sacrifices here.
It's not a sacrifice to talk to you, love. I'm sorry if I've made you feel that way. I'm not making the offer to...I don't know, whatever you might be thinking, I won't try to guess. I need it as much as you do.
And I didn't mean to imply you were doing anything wrong. Or that my way is better than your way. I don't know what to do or say any more than you probably do.
Just keep in mind the only place that any blame lies is with Ttid.
Lancs. Anon
Shucks, y'all are making me sad. I hate it when you're all broken.
<3
L - Sherlock and Mrs H are going to make biscuits shaped like spiders. So. Whenever you're ready? Or we could take a walk, or...whatever, really.
Thanks Mrs H, and you Sherlock.
I don't know. Balance up chances of crying like a baby in public to walking being a good idea to fill the inevitable silences...
Probably go for a walk? Neutral ground, or something.
Okay.
Good luck.
rsf
Good luck guys. I'm so glad you're actually going to talk to each other; I was starting to get seriously worried.
Lancs Anon - I could hug you, really, I could :-)
SH - nice one :-p Congrats on the anniversary, 32 years is downright impressive :-)
Good luck, guys--as long as you both listen with your hearts, which you do, it should be fine.
Lancs you're a star :-)
Good luck Gents :-)
I'm putting shiny silver balls on my spiders for eyes and Mrs Hudson won't let me put eight on each one tell her I have to!
I can confirm that spiders have eight eyes! When I read the first line of your comment, my immediate thought was were you putting eight on each biscuit!
I suppose the problem is if you run out and some of the spiders are completely blind...
Lancs. Anon
Is there room for eight silver balls (which, by the way, sound like very excellent eyes) on each spider head? If not, you can always use artistic license to put fewer eyes on each one.
Not all spiders have 8 eyes, Sherlock.
We're coming home. Do I get a hug and a biscuit before nightshift?
But these should! Yes and you can take some for Sally too.
Hope the walking and talking have helped you both.
Lestrade - A biscuit and a hug sound like the ideal way to set yourself up for a night shift :-)
Sherlock - I'm sure Sally will love the biscuits, it's so thoughtful of you to give Lestrade some to take for her :-)
Believe me, the ideal thing was talking to John, getting an idea of what he's feeling like about all this. The hug and things were just the icing and multiple eyes on the biscuit, so to speak.
Now to give my sergeant a hard time about changing shift rotas without my permission.
the hard time's not going to look so hard with a biscuit spider in your hand ;-)
I'm glad you feel better for the talk. Hope works busy enough without being too busy.
That's good to hear :-)
Now go and try to be stern while handing over spider biscuits with shiny silver eyes :-)
the ideal thing was talking to John, getting an idea of what he's feeling like about all this.
:)
I hope you're feeling like that about your talk, too, John.
That was really very nice and thoughtful of you, Sherlock, thinking of sending biscuits for Sally. Have you sampled some yourself?
RR - I am.
L - I suggest having the talk before she knows about the biscuits...
Post a Comment