Sunday, October 28, 2012

odd things you think about

Lestrade posted in the comments of his blog about thinking when he was a kid that the sensation of his heart beating was caused by it swinging back and forth on a pendulum. It made me think about some of the strange notions we get when we're young.

L posted a picture of me long ago, in a post far, far away (that I cannot find). I was four or five, I think, and wearing a suit for my great uncle's funeral. I barely knew him and wasn't too upset about it, but I absolutely refused to go up and see him in the coffin with my parents and Harry. They all thought it was because he was dead, but that part didn't bother me. I wouldn't go because I was convinced he would be naked.

No idea where I came up with that. I suppose it makes sense in an odd way that you'd be buried in the same state in which you were born, and I wasn't old enough to realise that his friends and family would not want to see that. I would tell my parents why either, because I thought they'd say something along the lines of, 'Well of course he's naked! That's just the way it is, come along.' And then I'd have to go. So I wouldn't explain and instead, I seem to remember, hid under a table.


And on a completely different topic, camping photos:

Enormous dog that Sherlock tracked down the beach until its prints disappeared. That's L's footprint for scale.



Birds just after dawn. 

56 comments:

Greg Lestrade said...

Used to think the umbilical cord attached the baby to the inside of the mother's belly-button too...I have no idea why I thought that was necessary. Maybe to stop it falling out? But I remember when Mum had kids I'd always think that's how they were attached.

I also think that you should put the 'enormous dog' into context...I don't think it would have been any bigger than our two! Not that I'd want to meet them on a dark night if I didn't know them...

pandabob said...

I'm not sure I thought enough when I was a kid to have and strange theories but my niece insisted that her mum must drink lots of milk when she was pregnant because babies live on milk :-)

Anon Without A Name said...

It's odd, I know that as a child I believed many weird and wonderful things, but looking back now, I can't recall a single one of them. I must have repressed the memories of my odd self :-p

That dog - and your two - must be huge. HUGE. I have no idea how you fit both of them, both of the boys, both of you, plus visits from Mrs H, Anthea, and the security team in to a flat, no matter how large a flat it may be.

I've never been to an open casket funeral; I think I'm quite glad about that. I suspect it would have terrified me as a child, and even now I think I'd be deeply uncomfortable with it. I couldn't even bring myself to go see my Dad at the undertakers before the funeral, and I'd been with him when he died. Hmm.

Greg Lestrade said...

Nameless - I don't know either. But I sort of enjoy the flat being full and busy and a bit chaotic. I'm not so good on my own.

As for open caskets...I've just seen so many hundreds of dead bodies now, I can't remember what I ever thought before I did this job.

John H. D. Watson said...

L - not bigger, no, but ours are enormous enough!

Anonybob - it does make sense in that odd child way.

Nameless - it's different, seeing someone die to seeing them afterwards. The funeral preparations make the body seem almost artificial somehow, at least to my eyes.

Greg Lestrade said...

I know. Like small, slobbery, horses...in fact, bigger than some ponies.

I definitely agree on the 'artificial' look of bodies prepared for funerals.

I find it all a bit odd, the embalming. My Nonna used to explain at length how horrible and unnatural it was to mess with the body, or bury it. She was very, very against anything that wasn't a swift dispatch into the columbari.

Anonymous said...

On the subject of childhood beliefs, I was asked to be a bridesmaid when I was three and apparently I got all quiet and tearful because 'I didn't want to be a maid and go away from my mum and dad'. In retrospect the dress (bright orange synthetic velvet) would have been enough to make anyone cry.

Lancs. Anon

REReader said...

What's a columbari, L?

Orthodox Jewish funerals are only closed casket, and there is definitely no embalming--even the casket has to be completely plain, so it can disintegrate properly. I have to say, I would find embalming and makeup and all quite odd--but then, anything one isn't used to seems odd.

I'm sure I had any number of odd beliefs as a child, but like Nameless, I can't think of any now. I DO remember the feeling of "Oh, THAT was what that meant" as something I felt quite often as I got older, but not the specific things themselves that I hadn't understood, or had misunderstood.

Anon Without A Name said...

Lestrade - I grew up in a large and chaotic household (possibly less chaotic than yours!), but I've gone in the other direction than you - I like my space and need lots of time alone otherwise... I don't do so well.

John - I've never seen a body prepared for an open casket funeral, I think I'm glad they're not especially common. When my Dad died, he was still my dad as I sat with him far a while; but I left the room for a few minutes, when I came back, it was like he'd left, and there was a dead body there instead. I hadn't really expected that...

(sorry, that all seems terribly morbid)

On a happier note, how was dinner? Lots of wedding excitement?

Greg Lestrade said...

Nameless - it's really odd how people 'are' in death. Some bodies I've seen still seem to hold so much character, even though I never knew the person. Whereas some, and this probably sounds a bit cold, are just...objects. And it isn't to do with the manner in which they've died. It's just a feeling you get.

John H. D. Watson said...

Lancs. Anon - ha, that is sweet really. And, like most of these things, makes sense in its own way.

Nameless - not morbid, no. Just...the way it is. People die, and then they're gone, and you're left with a body that's not them any more.

Dinner was very nice. L made his pasta of many cheeses and then, sadly, left to take Mycroft back to school. We miss him already, but exeat isn't that far away.

Sherlock said...

He said I wouldn't be hungry after the pork at lunch but I WAS

REReader said...

I believe it. :)

Anonymous said...

haha, I used to think that when you became an adult you had to change your name to something more grown-up :P I was going to choose Moira.

Hope you're all having a nice time! N

Greg Lestrade said...

I do miss him already. I mean, I know the flat IS a lot emptier when he and the dogs aren't here, but...still.

Did get a kiss off Anthea though, when she packed his things into the car... ;)

Anon - I think it would be better to have two names - one you get given, one you choose when you 'come of age', if you're not too keen on the one you were given.

John H. D. Watson said...

Did she agree to wear a hat?

Think of the things people would choose though. I'm not sure anyone under 25 should be allowed to pick what they'll be called for the rest of their lives.

REReader said...

I know the flat IS a lot emptier when he and the dogs aren't here, but...still.

Yeah--there's emptier, and there's emptier. But you can pop over on the weekends, discuss buttons and such, yeah? :)


When I was a kid I wanted to change my middle name--but by the time I was old enough to do it, I kind of liked having something different in there. (It's Etta.)

Greg Lestrade said...

I don't think a lot of parents should be allowed to pick names for kids either, though!

(And before anyone gets all pedantic, I know we can choose what we want to be called. I just think it would be nice if it were a 'thing' society recognised as you picking your own 'adult' name.)

Greg Lestrade said...

Danger - she didn't mention millinery, no. Although I think she's suit a fascinator, actually.

I'm thinking...I mean, not that it matters if they match or anything, but I'd like to have a ring that isn't gold-coloured. So, white gold, or some grey metal. Titanium, platinum, tungsten, something like that. What do you think?

REReader said...

It would be a nice rite-of-passage. (But I'm with John, too--I don't think I'd want to be stuck with a name I'd have chosen at 18 or 21!)

John H. D. Watson said...

L - so it'll match your hair? ;) And mine in a few years, no doubt... That sounds nice, yeah. I was never that fond of gold. Gold coloured gold. You know what I mean.

John H. D. Watson said...

http://www.titaniumringsforever.com/files/imagecache/product_full/rings/emporia.jpg

I can't quite make out the inscription, but I would think it says something about a brand new combine harvester...

Greg Lestrade said...

Your hair is aging horrifically well, so hush. But yeah, like my hair. Just don't think gold really suits me that well. I mean, I don't have anything else gold. Ear, nipples, all silver/steel.

And my old ring was gold...serves me right for not choosing it myself, I suppose.

Greg Lestrade said...

...do you want a little target on yours? Or a unicorn? because I can arrange that...

Greg Lestrade said...

Something simple, like this:

http://www.titaniumera.com/titanium-rings/detail?cid=790&pid=404

maybe.

Anonymous said...

http://rainnea.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/wolf-and-unicorn-l.jpg

John H. D. Watson said...

I don't know, is the unicorn going to be farting rainbows?

No, no. I think your selection is much nicer, sans unicorns or tractors. Very classy.

Greg Lestrade said...

Anon - I'm speechless! Could we pretend the one is a Silver Fox though, not a wolf?? God, they're brilliant! I can't stop laughing.

Danger - farting diamonds and rubies, emeralds and sapphires surely?

John H. D. Watson said...

Anon - that is truly amazing. They're definitely silver foxes.

L - of course, what was I thinking?

Anonymous said...

not sure why it was anon but I'm staying that way now. I thought they were perfect for you.


Sherlock said...

You can't have ANYTHING the same as when you married stupid Bryan because I hate him and this is forever so you have to do it differently.

Greg Lestrade said...

Well...you have to decide what's 'the same' and what's different, Kiddo. I mean, I wore a suit then, and I intend to wear a suit when I marry John. But they'll be very different, I'm sure.

And it's bedtime for you. Done your teeth?

REReader said...

Not to worry, Sherlock--the only important thing in a wedding is already different--who is marrying whom. :)

Sherlock said...

But last time he had all the days to think about it too and everything people said in his comments and it was still wrong! This time it has to be right because it HAS TO BE because John is the best.

Greg Lestrade said...

Sherlock, BED!

We'll talk about it all, don't worry. And things will be very different this time, I'm sure. So don't worry about anything.

Anon Without A Name said...

N'night Sherlock - and don't worry, it's not the wedding that makes the marriage, it's the people :-)

pandabob said...

I know you've gone to bed now Sherlock but you'll see this in the morning.

Everyone gets married thinking it'll be right and be forever but that isn't always the case for lots of reasons. Lestrade has thought a lot about this and a lot more than any one would ever imagine I'm sure and he knows its what he wants. Sometimes in life you have to have made mistakes in order to know that now you are doing the right thing.

Try not to worry about it, all the excitement is good and the wedding will be lovely but in reality nothing is changing John loves Lestrade and Lestrade loves John and the day they have a party and declare it to the world won't change that it will just make it more official and even more perfect. :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

Don't think he likes the idea that grown ups he trusts can get things wrong.

REReader said...

I know you won't see this until morning, Sherlock, but you really don't have to worry. As you said, John is the best, and Lestrade is the best--and they are even better together. You know both of them, and you know this. It will be good. Very, very good. Okay?

REReader said...

I'm sure you're exactly right, L. It's not the easiest bit of childhood.

pandabob said...

no I'm sure he doesn't, it must be kind of scary as a child to realise that those you rely on aren't actually perfect but this will be a good education for him and as he works though it all with you and John he will learn many important lessons.

(I've deleted the rest of this comment having tried to write it 17 times ;-) )

Greg Lestrade said...

Can we all just make sure we're not making promises to him that no-one has any idea if we'll be able to keep?

Sherlock, John and I will do everything we can to make each other happy, and show each other how much we love and respect each other. That's all anyone can do. We can't promise more than that.

pandabob said...

I'm sorry if anything I've said came across that way I didn't mean it to.

REReader said...

I was trying to be careful, but you put it much better, L. (Sorry for not being clear enough.)

Greg Lestrade said...

No, no, it's not that. It's just easy to do - make grand sweeping promises and not think about just how seriously Sherlock takes things like that.

How everyone takes it, really.

So I was just saying it before it really came to that. I don't like making promises I can't keep. And it hurt the first time around, not keeping my vows. I don't want it to hurt me or anyone else again.

REReader said...

I did mean what I said, you know. You are both very special people, and while no life and no union is problem-free...for what it's worth? I believe in the two of you.

pandabob said...

That makes sense Greg, it isn't easy to have to do what you had to do even when it was entirely neccessary especially when you are the kind of person you are.

Kids take things far more to heart than we as adults remember sometimes so you're right to point it out to us.

Greg Lestrade said...

AnonyBob - yeah, it's kind of stupid, that no matter how necessary - essential it was, how right it was, and however much I know that what I've got now couldn't be without having done it, it still hurts.

pandabob said...

its not stupid at all. No one ever gets married thinking 'hey in a few years I'll call this a day and try something else' it hurts to make decisions like that but I think it hurts more that those decisions have to colour the rest of your life. They make you doubt yourself, they make those you love worry in ways you somehow wish you could stop and they always give you concern in your mind about what the future will bring.

I know you know that none of it was your fault but I also know that the fact it happened at all will have an effect on your life forever, hopefully for the positive but sadly worry will always hang around the edges.

I still think you're kind of amazing for how you work your way through it all while taking into account those you love and those that love you :-)

Jaws said...

Sorry, couple of hours too late but I did want to join the "names" conversation.
My childhood nickname is actually the name everyone calls me now: family, friends, work, even my uni tutors, it just fits me better. It doesn't really seem like a shortened name (it's Fi, pronounced Fee, my real name's not Fiona) and it might end up being my "grown up" name.

I like the titanium rings, they're very classic and masculine, which seems to fit you two down to the ground. Would you have an inscription?

Anonymous said...

Hound of the Baskerville. Sorry, had to point that out.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I could learn to answer to a new name at this late date.

John, I won't go to open casket funerals anymore. Not after my grandmother's. She was all painted up with makeup, and she never wore makeup in her life, so it just looked wrong wrong wrong. And now that I live in Boston, I keep getting invited to wakes. *headdesk*

rsf

Small Hobbit said...

What anonybob said.

Over the last couple of years I've quite happily learnt to answer to another name, although for some reason it isn't the sort of name that you'd expect someone to have ;)

Piplover said...

John, when you got out of the Army, did you have a hard time answering to your first name? It always took me a few seconds to figure out people were talking to me when they used my first name, as everyone called me Frankie, in and out of uniform.

John H. D. Watson said...

Yeah, it seemed very strange, but the whole world seemed strange just then. I'm afraid I still respond faster to my last name or danger than my first.

Greg Lestrade said...

Lucky I do call you Danger then.

Don't know what I'd do if you called me Greg. Not respond, probably :)

Post a Comment