Thursday, October 4, 2012

latibulize

From the list of words that wolf-were provided:

Latibulize v.
To hibernate. Function of a teenager during that part of the morning when papers are being brought in, cats being fed, garbage cans put out, digital clocks being reset after overnight power failures, etc., etc.

Also what Lestrade and I did briefly today after dropping Sherlock off at school, going for a run, etc. That's et cetera as in 'and so on' not as in anything else. We went back to bed, and I went back to sleep, which must've been fairly boring for Lestrade, but he took it well. No reflection on you, L. The past few nights haven't gone well, that's all. Maybe I should switch to decaf too.

I wonder if the last part of the above definition will ever apply to Sherlock. It seems incredibly unlikely, but surely it must happen to everyone? I've never known a teenager who springs out of bed at five in the morning unless the alternative is being discovered by their girlfriend/boyfriend's parents.

I wonder how large a part that played in the creation of boarding schools. 'Let's put them all together where they can't get into so much trouble!' Except, having known boys who went to boarding schools, I'm well aware that they can and do.

Speaking of which - the schools, not the trouble - Mycroft texted to say we could come and visit on Saturday if we wanted to, which of course we do, so that'll be nice. We can bring him the leftover biscuits and scones from tea, of which I imagine there will be several thousand. 

49 comments:

Greg Lestrade said...

Several thousand if they're hidden from the stomach on legs. It'll be lovely.

And I really don't mind you sleeping. Someone once said to me that a person falling asleep with you is the greatest indicator of trust.

And we can do it all again tomorrow :)

(remind me to get Mycroft to stop my phone autocorrecting 'tomorrow' to 'Gimp'. I have no idea how it chooses these things!)

John H. D. Watson said...

Some are more puzzling than other. That one is right up there.

Thanks, I'm glad you don't mind. And despite the nap, I still feel like I ought to be quite capable of sleeping another eight hours tonight...or however much I get before it's Excited Sherlock O'clock.

Greg Lestrade said...

Cmon then danger-man, to the danger-cave! Not a moment to waste!

Anonymous said...

I expect Sherlock will go through the great brain transition that every other teenager goes through, since one aspect of it is the tendency to become a night owl and then sleep late. But I suspect that, being Sherlock, he'll find a take on it that will be all his own. (One thing I do find comforting about the new science on teen brains is how much positive peer pressure they can exert when they try, but it's not always easy to resist the urge to thump the little darlings on the head when they're being twerps.)

rsf

John H. D. Watson said...

the tendency to become a night owl and then sleep late

I never grew out of this, despite the Army's best efforts. And I'm sure you're right about Sherlock. He finds his own take on everything.

L - coming, dear...

REReader said...

We can bring him the leftover biscuits and scones from tea, of which I imagine there will be several thousand.

Ha! I confess that that was the mental sequence that triggered my question about seeing Mycroft this weekend. :)

Good night, gentlemen!

wolf-were said...

Glad to be of help, word-wise. :)

How is Mycroft, sleep-wise? On those days when he's with you, at least? I'd guess they have a school-wide alarm clock.

I sympathize with you, BTW. I'm a terrible sleeper.

Small Hobbit said...

I have to admit to being awake for a while during the night for the last couple of weeks. Is insomnia catching? I think of you lot, so at least I have some pleasant thoughts.

REReader said...

Been awake since 5:00 myself, SH--after being up past 1:00. Which, now I come to think of it, sounds a lot like a full night's sleep for you, L :), but I'm staggering.

Here's to a lovely tea with Mrs N!

pandabob said...

I hope the visit of your teacher goes well Sherlock and that she likes all the lovely things you've made for her.

John, Greg I hope you're not too nervous I always find myself worrying when official type people are coming visit eventhough I know there's no need really!

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm reminding myself it's not like social services visiting when I was a kid, and trying to quell any defensive feelings.

Sherlock is very excited and has set up bits of his chemistry set to show her what she should get the class :)

REReader said...

I'm sure she'll be very appreciative of his enthusiasm--and his prep work. (It really is lovely that he's so excited. :))

(Just keep remembering that you and John are the best thing that could have happened to those boys. :))

Greg Lestrade said...

I think at the moment we're all in agreement about his strengths and weaknesses, at least. Well, maybe he doesn't agree, but we adults do.

It's good to know what they're doing in school, so we can reinforce it.

REReader said...

It's always nice when the adults are all on the same page--no mixed messages! :)

John H. D. Watson said...

I feel like we've been thoroughly inspected, though I'm sure that wasn't her intention. Bit like when Mrs Holmes comes round, but less so.

REReader said...

:D

And how do you think it went, Sherlock? Did Mrs N like the scones and biscuits?

Greg Lestrade said...

Would it surprise anyone to know Sherlock is a vocal and enthusiastic member of the class, but needs to learn to take his turn and not get angry or rude when others are slower than he is?

pandabob said...

I know a little girl who got very much the same report so no it wouldn't surprise me at all :-)

vocal and enthusiastic is a great think to be I was always to shy to say anything :-(

I hope Sherlock was happy with the outcome and that Mrs N knows your expectations of her as his teacher :-)

John H. D. Watson said...

He has things to work on, but on the whole it's a lot better than his first few months with Mrs T, mainly characterised by sullen silence and a recitation on the way home of all the things he particularly hated that day.

REReader said...

The actual material is the least of what you (should) learn in school, and all in all, Sherlock is a good learner. :)

Small Hobbit said...

No. But considering how reluctant he was about changing class initially it does sound like he's settled in well.

Anonybob - I was always the quiet one too. Things seem to have changed, I was told at work today I should continue to be responsible for one aspect because I put the fear of God into people, which seemed to be a good thing. (I thought I'd overdone it).

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah, he's doing brilliantly.

AnonyBob - he just needs to learn to give those quiet kids a chance, too :)

He is a credit to himself generally. Although I don't think the way to sell chemistry equipment being a good idea to Mrs N was to say ' so we can ALL make stink bombs!'

REReader said...

Hahahaha! (You can't fault his honesty!)

Greg Lestrade said...

AnonyBob - he just needs to give those quiet kids a chance :)

Generally he is a credit to himself.

But I don't think he sold the idea of chemistry to Mrs N by saying they could all make stink bombs.

Greg Lestrade said...

Phone denied that had posted originally...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a successful visit. It is the nature of teacher reports to always have a "but" in there, because kids always have things to learn, but it's nice when parents and guardians see the same things the teacher does.

My second grade teacher said I tended to override the quieter kids too, and she told me that when it wasn't my turn to talk I needed to practice my observational skills. So I did. And then my third grade teacher said I needed to learn when not to announce what I had observed. *sigh* Still a work in progress, I think, some days.

rsf

Greg Lestrade said...

We're all works in progress, RSF.

And yes, heaping praise with no points for improvement won't help. We're very proud of him.

pandabob said...

We're very proud of him.

What a lucky kids he is hearing that from those he loves :-)

Sherlock said...

I still don't like her as much as Mrs T but she said I was very clever for baking the cakes and scones and biscuits and that I was a joy to teach and John really won't let me have any more biscuits or cakes now even though I thought he would.

John H. D. Watson said...

It's nearly time to sleep. Cakes and biscuits don't help with that, and we want there to be some left for Mycroft.

You did a great job showing her around and explaining what you were doing with your chemistry set. And we are very proud of you, always.

Sherlock said...

But usually you or Lestrade wants one and then you have to give me one or it isn't fair I bet you'll just eat them when I'm in bed.

She still said we couldn't have a chemistry set at school though! We should have one it would be great.

REReader said...

Since you're seeing Mycroft tomorrow, you won't have long to wait to have more biscuits and cake. :)

And I bet you really are a joy to teach. You always listen here, even when someone says something you already know, and you ask really good, thoughtful questions--and you only ask real questions. And as I said before, you're a good learner. These are all excellent things in a student.

I don't know for sure about the UK, but I know there are some really strict laws about chemistry equipment and chemicals in schools in the US, so that might be a reason, Sherlock. And even if that's not--not everyone is responsible enough to have access to a good chemistry set, and she has to consider that everyone in your school could get ahold of a chemistry set there.

John H. D. Watson said...

I bet you'll just eat them when I'm in bed.

Not all of them...

pandabob said...

as I sit here eating biscuits from a packet I told the kids they couldn't have I have to tell you Sherlock that being an adult has all kinds of biscuit eating advantages but it isn't quite enough to make up for the working, doing housework and worrying about the small people. You are better off not getting to eat the biscuits and not having to do all the jobs :-)

Sherlock said...

But John and Lestrade weren't even working today and I was at school!

Greg Lestrade said...

Oh, believe me, Sherlock. It's a lot of work for me to keep up with John.

pandabob said...

I bet they were working hard getting ready for your teachers visit though :-)

I am going to guess that I don't have enough fingers to count how many biscuits you've had today?

Greg Lestrade said...

I've never heard of any laws about Chemicals/Chemistry here in the UK. Not exactly my area, though.

I think Sherlock just failed to sell the idea to her, with the whole stink-bomb idea, really.

And now it's time for Sherlock to go to bed. And me to hug John on the sofa.

Anon Without A Name said...

I'm sure they've both been hard at it all day, Sherlock.

I'm glad Mrs N's visit went well :-)

Rider said...

A lot of work to keep up for John? I'd have thought that would be easy!

Oh.. with! Keep up with! never mind....

REReader said...

I think Sherlock just failed to sell the idea to her, with the whole stink-bomb idea, really.

If it's really that, Sherlock, I would wait a few months--maybe until after the Christmas holidays--and try again, only with different arguments. Something to research, the ways doing chemistry experiments would be good for the class and also how to make sure it would be safe. (She still might have to say no, but it's worth a try!)

Greg Lestrade said...

I don't know. I'm inclined to think if she's said no, and given the amount of work teachers already have, that Sherlock should respect that. He'll be having proper chemistry lessons at school in the not too distant future, as well as having his kit at home.

Anonymous said...

Didn,t Sherlock have a chemistry tutor last year?

Anonymous said...

children respecting teachers wishes is something they need to learn quickly and when they have people like the doc and Lestrade to sort things for them if they have a problem there is no need for them to risk getting in trouble an dgetting upset about it.

I'm sure sherlock can cope with only making stink bombs at home ;)

REReader said...

Obviously I wasn't privy to the conversation, so I don't know how she sounded when she said no. If it really was just because of the way Sherlock presented it, then it could be okay to try again with a different approach. If you were joking about that and she had other reasons (whether she shared them or not), then, as you say, he'd best leave it alone.

It's always possible to do cool science experiments with a class in school without having a chemistry set, after all, and I'm sure his class will be doing some of those in the normal course of studies.

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm fairly certain she'd be able to see the potential apart from stink bombs, without our help. And she said no.

I'm sure she'll remember, and if she ever feels it's appropriate, then she'll organise it.


Anon, yeah, he does, but his chemistry tutor is also pretty important and busy in the world of chemistry, so it's a bit...sporadic. But Sherlock always has plenty to do.

He was only very recently told he definitely couldn't add lots of sulphuric acid to sugar in the kitchen. Not even if he really wanted.

Rider said...

Or you could just talk about teeth....

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/9541/is-this-scary-looking-image-about-child-teeth-development-accurate

Greg Lestrade said...

I think someone posted that on here before. Or at least, a picture of a skull with teeth like that.

Maybe it wasn't here... might have seen it relating to work.

Anonymous said...

Or you might have seen it at the Hunterian museum. Isn't that the one with all the Thimgs in Jars?

rsf

Post a Comment