![]() |
| 3D fractals |
Well...let's see. I'm leaving the day after tomorrow. Sherlock has helped me pack twice so far. I've removed:
- his book on mummies (interesting, but not exactly a good size to fit in a smallish bag)
- a container of black glitter
- three kinds of gum, including the nicotine variety
- two kinds of tea (a nice thought, but I'm reasonably sure they still have tea in Birmingham)
- a small, plastic fish
- four pressed leaves
- a candle
- a book on bees
- a carrot
- L's uniform hat
I'll leave it up to you to decide which is the most inexplicable. It's either the carrot or the hat, for me. Spider is going to be the most difficult, I think. Her legs stick out no matter what I do. I hope whoever cleans the room at the hotel isn't bothered by spiders.
Things I am taking include, boringly, clothes, The Mauritius Command, laptop, toothbrush, etc. Trying to decide if I can get away with wearing boots most of the time, because I can fit normal shoes or trainers, but not both. I'll probably go with the trainers and then not run the entire time I'm there. That's always the way it goes, isn't it? No? Just me? Right.
Sherlock says he has a surprise planned for me while I'm gone... He also says L approved it, so I am extremely curious and only mildly concerned.

199 comments:
You need a torch and stop unpacking things or you'll never leave on time.
Why do I need a torch? And I have a tiny one on my keychain, I really don't need the enormous one.
Ha! (For the rest of you, John frequently has to say 'Stop....or we'll never leave on time" before school of a morning :)
Where did he get nicotine gum from? WHy haven't I chewed it? I need it for next week!
Lestrade says where you're going is the Blackcountry it's probably dark.
I do, don't I... He's like a little sponge sometimes.
I don't know, but I put it in your bag, so that's where it is if you want it. Unless he's repacked it.
This will turn into one of those fun games where you look at all the stuff, then it's hidden, then when you see it again one thing's gone missing.
Except you'll pack, get to Birmingham, unpack, and try and work out if anything's the same.
Sherlock - it's actually not called that because it's dark all the time...although that would be interesting. But if it were, I'm sure they'd have plenty of streetlights.
L - I'm terrible at that game, but I can already predict the outcome of this one...
as long as when you get back here nothing's gone, we'll be winning.
And I saw him putting talcum powder and three packs of dental floss in your bag. Just so you know.
J - why are you only mildly concerned if L's approved it?
SH - because it probably won't explode. Or eat me.
L - three?? Whyyyy.
So you can booby trap your room and see if a spy has been in there and trap them! Or hang up a mosquito net.
Bed time for you. And we can put the dental floss back while you do your teeth.
I need to stay up because soon John will be gone so I need to see him more now!
No, you need to go to bed so we can do something fun tomorrow without you being tired and cranky.
why isn't Lestrade off tomorrow? I want him to be.
Have fun packing/repacking/unpacking/repacking, guys!
All those in the path of the blizzard--stay safe, and I hope your power hangs in there!
I know. He has a lot to sort out at work though since he'll be with you so much next week.
I hope Sherlock is settled and sleeping now so that you two can enjoy a bit of time together :-)
Settled...or booby trapping his entire room.
either's good as long as you get some peace ;-)
I am mad about my boy. (Literally. I've been busting for a wee for at least half an hour now, but don't want to stop cuddling him.)
gooooo
not here though
going. (not here)
want a mug of tea and a stroopwafel when I come back?
Yes, please. And hurry up, it's chilly without you. Although easier to type.
Yes master! Water's boiling as fast as it can Master! :)
John can look quite stern, even when wearing a stroopwafel hat at a jaunty angle.
I left a comment before... Don't know where it went.
Going to eat my hat now.
Stroopwafel?
Your spam filter isn't eating your own comments is it John? one can only wonder what you were saying if it did ;-)
enjoy your hat!
at least it's a tasty hat.
Anon - it's a thin waffle, with a goopy caramel-y centre, you heat it by resting it over your mug to steam/soften and eat it.
Or, less effectively, on your boyfriend's head.
you're obviously not a hot-head. Just hot everywhere else.
Heh. Might've worked better when I was twenty.
...Where's the other one? Did you put it on my head as well?
other one?
Yours...that I was going to eat part of.
What am I going to do without anyone putting odd things on my head for a week?
someone must have eaten it.
You can put things on your own head and skype us. Or skype us and we'll suggest things to put on your head.
Or I'll call your friends and tell them to put poppadoms on your head.
How do you know we're getting Indian?
Hi, I'm Greg. I think we've met before? Plus Birmingham.
I'm just saying, there's other sorts of food! ...Although he did mention a place called India Star I think.
other sorts of food? What is this magic of which you speak?
There's Thai curry as well...
it's good - you can eat horrifically spicy things and not worry about kissing me.
Was reading about a chilli that burns through latex gloves yesterday...
I never worry about kissing you. You worry about me kissing you. :)
Really? What is it?
Not the most reputable news source:
http://metro.co.uk/2012/02/16/red-hot-chilli-pepper-scorpion-is-so-potent-it-burns-through-testers-gloves-321835/
I like the story linked at the bottom...
http://metro.co.uk/2011/10/19/translation-error-lands-man-with-7ft-monster-slipper-187935/
Sherlock will want it...
C'mon, how've you managed to keep me up so late on a work night? Terrible influence you are ;)
Well, someone has to keep you from being so serious all the time... ;)
All work and no play does make Greg a dull boy.
Man, if I got one of those Monster Slippers when I was a kid you'd never have gotten me to sleep anywhere else.
rsf
All wake and no sleep makes Greg a grumpy boy...
is it so much to ask that people not murder other people when I'm warm in bed and savouring every second because I'm about to have a lonely week??
Ugh, L, I'm sorry (and sorry to John, whose bed is now chillier). I hope the case is as straightforward as it can be.
can't believe I ddin't wake up. Wake me up next tiem okay?
*sets out a pot of coffee*
Sorry. You were just so sleepy.
Cheers Spandrella, needed that.
I'll call, Danger, when I've got a minute.
I hope you got some sleep eventually, L, or that you will soon!
I just got up and went out to shovel the walk. Lots of drifting snow, but not the good kind that you can make snowballs out of. But at least I haven't lost power. *knocks wood*
Do you get blizzards in London?
rsf
We don't get good snow what makes a blizzard instead of just snow?
Officially, the winds have to be higher than 35 miles per hour, (56kph) or the visibility has to be less than a quarter of a mile (.4 km) for at least three hours straight for it to be a blizzard. Which I think is silly, since we've had conditions worse than that off and on all night, but the weather reporters are still saying "oh, we don't know if it's official yet."
rsf
Spend a week in Birmingham and not have curry? Yeah, I don't believe that either - and after this long in London you'll be pleasantly stunned at the prices, too :-)
Sorry to hear you got called in, Lestrade - is it naive of me to ask if this means you'll get away early?
Sherlock - I don't think London tends to get the right combinations of high winds, low temperatures and heavy snow that create blizzards. Are you having a good day?
I hope all of the North-East US people are doing OK.
Here's a picture: http://images.scribblelive.com/2013/2/9/e0125ebe-2efb-4206-baa6-9f697e73d75d_800.jpg
The snow is hard to measure because the wind pushes it all around.
rsf
So far so good, Nameless, although a lot of people have lost power. But the governors in several states put in travel bans, so there aren't a lot of stranded motorists or accidents.
Interestingly, the criteria for blizzards (at least in the US) don't mention snowfall totals or temperatures. But when you've got that kind of wind and visibility it's usually cold and piling up.
Sherlock, "good" snow has more moisture than the dry stuff which I'm shoveling right now. If you can make a snowball, it's "good". (Well, at least it is if the reason you wanted snow was to be able to build things with it.)
rsf (who needs to go shovel again)
I don't know if we get them sometimes you can't see very far but it's not very windy we don't get enough snow although we might get some this weekend maybe but John said it will probably be rain which is rubbish.
I ate two croissants and we've been shopping for food and Lestrade said he might come home earlier on the phone so I hope he does.
Croissants sound like a great breakfast. I had chili, because it's been in my slow cooker all night and it smelled too good to wait for lunch.
I like snow too. There's a lot of fuss about this storm because we haven't had a big one like it for two years. The storm is beginning to move away, but it's almost high tide, so they're having to evacuate people who live on the coast because they might get flooded by storm surge and high waves.
If you're bored while you're waiting for Lestrade to get home you can watch one of my television stations reports over here and see what it looks like.
rsf
I was the first one out of my building this morning and had to wade through knee deep drifts to get to the street which was moderately plowed. I couldn't put the dog down until I made it out to the road because I would have lost her in the snow. She's only about 6 inches tall.
It did make me glad to be in an apartment though and not have to shovel. I wonder if this link will work to the picture out my front door.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QfQeEtf1a28/URZFfuIUuAI/AAAAAAAAAEI/hi63iaX0Gc4/s1600/IMG_1330.jpg
Sherlock would love it, Kholly.
I will try to be home early, Sherlock. As I'm not here tomorrow there's no point me being the one to do all the groundwork.
That is a lot of snow. Sherlock's jealous.
Great shot, Kholly. Makes me wish my camera were working! Are you getting a lot of drifting there? Seems like every time I go out, there's another nine inches piled up against my door.
rsf
That's the sort of snow I wouldn't mind. Too much to even attempt to do anything except build snowmen.
My daughter in Coventry was complaining that it was snowing again, but I don't think there's too much. Coventry is close to Birmingham (for those of you across the Pond) and we don't want to find that J's in the same position as kholly's dog. *runs and hides*
I'm jealous of the east coasters too, Sherlock. The weather people here are saying "maybe snow tonight but it might just be rain and cold," but in the manner of Colorado it's probably not going to do anything good.
I'm glad to hear it's dry snow, though--what we WILL get here in the springtime are snows so wet that they bring down tree branches and bushes and are too heavy to shovel. Makes for great snowmen and forts, but is also dangerous to walk under any trees.
-Ella
SH - eexcellent point. Although if he eats enough curry he will melt a path through it.
That photo was just with my phone. I haven't been back out in a couple of hours, but the wind sure is blowing outside my window so I assume I'll have to wade out to the road again the next time. For the moment I'm content to cuddle up in bed with the dog and laptop and a pot of tea and get some work done.
L - you may not want to watch the rugby.
Sherlock, I'm jealous too. We're supposed to be a state that has lots of snow and good times in the winter but we're in a deep drought right now. Tonight and tomorrow we'll have 'wintery mix' which is, as you say, rubbish.
I grew up in Colorado, and I look at snow in the winter and think "water for the summer". But I was just visiting there and they hadn't had nearly enough.
Are you doing something fun today before John goes away to his course?
rsf
On the way home, Danger, Sherlock! Are you home? Or out and about.
SH - I've seen the score. was it thatbad?
That only took...*checks* 12 hours! Hooray!
Yeah, we're home. I took Sherlock out on the bike earlier, just waiting for you now. :)
Considering Italy only had 3 points until near the end, yes.
Come on Wales!
Spandrella - just under 14, I made it?
Danger - out on your bike? did that go well?
SH - how's it looking? Hope Wales do far better than Italy!
Yes...ish.
Sh - pitch is cutting up bad, isn't it? looks like a ploughed field!
Danger - will the 'ish' terrify me?
No, no. Everything was fine. It's just more difficult than I expected, and Sherlock still bumps his helmet against mine occassionally.
Yeah, he either gets distracted and doesn't pay attention, or he can't see well enough over your/my shoulder and doesn't brace for braking. I try to remember to tell him...doesn't always work though. Especially if he's talking or I'm braking suddenly.
Bet he was made up though?
Would be nice to see a few more points scored - by the men in red of course. The pitch looks more like a local club pitch than an international one.
Know what I need? Chocolate. We got any?
Very excited and making plans for rides to school every morning and riding all over Brazil for no specific reason.
Not enough...
More chocolate is definitely a necessity then.
rsf
Not enough? Well...I should have what we've got, and you should go out for more ;)
I will if you make custard creams so I can take some to Birmingham... :)
I'll come with you to get chocolate.
And Sherlock and I will make you custard creams tomorrow morning to aid your survival in Birmingham.
perfect. Thank you, you're very kind. I might even share them. :)
Is that a good chat-up line? "Come back to my room for a custard cream?" Sounds vaguely dirty...
Ha! That's a terrible chat up line...
..yet I feel it would work on you!
I'm going to shower. I feel like I smell like death.
If chocolate were to appear whilst I was showering, I wouldn't be upset. Otherwise I walk to the shops with you two once I'm smelling of...whatever our shower stuff smells of.
You can try it on me later tonight.
There might possibly be chocolate...
Mmm. Love you.
And well done, SH! Great win. France are in the merde, eh?
This is better than snow well maybe not totally better because you can't play in it afterwards but better when it's falling!
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=389_1360330426
...that is pretty cool.
Thank you for the link, Sherlock, even if it did make me want to scream and run away. I don't like spiders very much.
I'm jealous of everyone with winter weather. It's nearly 50F (10C) here, and has been all week. We haven't had much snow and I really miss winter.
John, I saw a report today about an organization in the US that provides veterans as nannies and thought of you. You're a trend setter!
Lestrade, I hope you have a relaxing evening and are able to eat as much chocolate as your heart could possibly want!
Sherlock, I'll keep my snow, thanks.
Yay, although I was dubious until close to the end. I'm not surprised the French fans were leaving before the end.
Sherlock - where is that? Let's not go there.
Pip - well, it makes sense! The Army was the perfect preparation for this job, in so many ways...
I think I'd rather have snow. I can't drink spiders, even if they melt! But that is a very cool link, Sherlock. I went googling to find out where it might be happening and found a news story about spider showers from 1893! so they must happen a lot. Maybe someday you can see one in person.
rsf
BRAZIL you already said we could go there!
Did I? Let's wait until their weather is a little less interesting then.
You may not have to go that far, Sherlock. I found an article on googlebooks about a shower of gossamer spiders that happened in England in 1835. And Darwin saw one too!
1835 was long ago even before Lestrade was born.
You did say! Here's a page with more writing.
http://gawker.com/5982891/meanwhile-in-brazil-its-raining-spiders?fb_action_ids=10200626050596626&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210200626050596626%22%3A414271605330013%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210200626050596626%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D
Thanks for clarifying just how long ago 1835 was...
Oops. I didn't read carefully enough. He mentioned an eclipse in 1835, but he saw the shower in 1875 (Which is still before Lestrade was born!) The article starts on page 125 in this book.
*goes off to read your link*
rsf
It is kind of amazing...and yet significantly more horrifying than that toad having toad babies through its skin.
Which is still before Lestrade was born
But not by that much... ;)
no way. The toad babies was infinitely more horrifying! Give me spiders any time.
Spiders in your hair? Because that is the logical leap that my mind makes when I watch that video.
Toads living under your skin? Because that's the illogical leap my mind takes when I watched toads...
Fair enough. Toads under your skin would be worse than spiders in your hair.
I admit spiders in your hair would be a more likely thing to happen. But I don't mind spiders.
Oh, god, it's all horrifying.
*shudder*
I'm pretty sure I'd mind them in my hair. But really, neither is terribly likely as long as we don't rush off to Brazil to see the spider showers.
And hats are useful when studying nature. Although following from Sherlock's link I have discovered that I should have spent more time looking out my hotel window in Chicago last summer because I might have seen some migrating spiders.
rsf (who is beginning to get bored of being stuck at home)
Don't go insulting spiders when about 50% of your luggage next week will be a spider. She could be a hat, too, she's so big.
I may have to wear her as a cape unless I take along a dedicated Spider bag...
make sure you make her a crash helmet...
Do we have half a coconut lying around...?
Or you could go for fancy.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/117144676/elegant-swarovski-austrian-crystal
That is very fancy.
Would she fit in a rucksack? Or do you already have a rucksack full of stuff?
I can lend you some bungees, if we can put her in something waterproof we can just strap her on the pillion.
If I come with you I can hold her.
No, Sherlock. You have school.
I would learn looooooaaaaaads if I came with you and I could help you remember it all.
Nope, sorry. School. And you'll have lots of fun with Lestrade.
If he goes to a murder in the middle of the night like last night I get to go too.
I think if he has to go out in the night, Mrs Hudson will stay with you.
I'm not on call, Sherlock. I won't be going out unless there's a very major incident. And Mrs Hudson will be with you.
FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE
If you can brave Ikea then the Dimpa bag could be a spider bag. Waterproof enough, zipped up so no escape.
And the excellent advantage of making all the car drivers go "What the..." when they see her on the pillion seat.
I'm not sure we can... I've got a waterproof bag. I'm fairly sure Sherlock will attempt to chain himself to John's bike before he leaves. Especially as he's just noticed it might be snowing in Birmingham on Monday.
I can see tomorrow is going to be interesting.
But if Sherlock goes to Birmingham he won't be able to get John's surprise ready.
Decisions, decisions...
rsf
I can save the surprise and I can take John out on Valentine's day
You'll have fun with Lestrade Sherlock and I'm sure John will bring you a present from his trip when he comes home to you :-)
You can take Lestrade out instead. I'm sure he'd enjoy it. And I'd probably have too much homework to do anyway.
Can we do Skype and do our homework together?
Possibly not every day, since I'm not sure I'll be back at the hotel in time, but yeah, I'd like that.
Just remember, I can't bring you milk and bananas when you get stuck and frustrated.
:(
You can ration your custard creams and make yourself tea.
Reckon it'll take you 2-3 hours to get there, and it might be sleety/snowy, so take it easy. What time are you leaving us?
Not as good you making me tea. But I suppose I'll survive.
Probably around four or five, depending on the weather.
You can always get room service.
Okay. Sherlock and I will restrain ourselves from grabbing onto you and trying to keep you here.
I plan to hide my keys preemptively so he doesn't try anything with them tomorrow.
Just remember where you put them ;)
Heh...somewhere safe...
tempted to put you somewhere safe.
Did you have anywhere in particular in mind?
wrapped up in my arms?
Mm. That sounds nice.
I'm absolutely knackered and I don't want to go to sleep because tonight's our last night together for, as Sherlock'd say, aaaaaaaaaaaages.
(no one need point out how soppy this is)
you two are so lovely to each other, it makes me smile :-)
John, I hope your course is as interesting as you seem to think it will be and that you have a great time not being a nanny for a bit :-) your boys will cope, not as well as they do with you at home but they will cope and you should make the most of the chance to have some fun :-)
I hope you sleep ok Greg so you have all the energy you need for the week ahead. (I'd let you into a secret about that but its a bit depressing so I won't)
We could have tea in bed, with hugs?
Anonybob - thanks, I think it'll be really interesting. :) And I'm sure they'll both be find without me, once Sherlock gets over the initial shock and poutiness.
Yeah, tea's good.
How long will it take me to get over the shock and poutiness?
AnonyBob - I'm resigned to never getting enough sleep, if that's what you mean...
As long as it takes Sherlock to find some sort of trouble to get into? :)
I think I'll be carrying Sherlock when we say goodbye to John, just to ensure no last minute attachment schemes are being plotted.
that sounds like a well thought through plan, it gives you someone to hang on to as well :-)
And yes, the sleep thing was exactly that!
Is there a greater pleasure than cuddling in bed with a mug of tea and a lovely doc?
...apart from a mug of coffee. ;)
You look like you're going to fall asleep in your tea any second...
coffee'd stop that. ;)
sleeping...wasn't what i was hoping to plan, to be honest.
Yeah...I had plans that didn't include sleep too. But it's going to be a long day tomorrow, and you look exhausted.
Mmm.
Bloody murderers. Sorry.
It's all right, love. Sleeping with you is nice too.
mm. you too
Have a good night, gents, and a safe drive tomorrow, John.
Good morning, gentlemen! I hope you have a good day together--and travel safe, later, John. :)
Right, we're off out into the dreary weather, to see some non-dreary things!
Sounds like fun! Where are you going?
rsf
Depends who you ask. I'd say 'Kew Gardens to see the Orchids'. Sherlock announced to a woman on the bus that we were going to a greenhouse for cake...
Something for everyone! (And what do you say, John? :))
Sherlock says the flowers were okay but the piranha was better. Greg the florist and pet shop owner? Diversifying in tough times?
Maybe with a cake shop on the side?
The piranha was the BEST it was big and had teeth and I got a picture of it. It can eat 3cms of your flesh at a time! The flowers were okay the palms were better.
3cm at a time! that is a lot!
Do we get to see the picture?
Yes! I'll do a post for Lestrade later with pictures and I might let him put flower pictures in too
brilliant :-D you're very kind to share your pictures with us.
Why do they have a piranha in with the flowers? Will you te ll us in your post?
rsf
I've realised why Danger said 'between four and five' for leaving.
He's currently shouting at the rugby...
Someone's got to...
Looks like they've got the gardeners in for the Irish pitch too.
Does, doesn't it?
Danger - well you keep shouting while I keep trying to make your custard creams at least 50% custard cream and not 99% glitter...
thank you :)
I definitely appreciate your efforts in the glitter war...
Well, they're packed up safe. A few seem to have escaped the package, so do you want tea and a biscuit?
I would love that. And then I suppose I should go.
Have a safe journey, John; I hope the course is interesting. Enjoy Birmingham as best you can without your boys :-)
gonna wait 15 mins for the end of the match?
And Sherlock put a guitar string in your bag. I asked why. Guess the answer...
safe trip John, have a great time and try and learn a few things as well ;-)
And he shall have music wherever he goes?
Safe trip, John!
rsf
And England have done it - only team unbeaten in the competition so far. Sending a very happy Danger to Birmingham now.
...A little last minute unpacking, and I'm off!
Everyone be good while I'm gone. :)
...and we hit 200 comments. Sort of perfect?
You be good too :) and ride safe. And above all, enjoy it.
Love you.
Post a Comment