Friday, February 1, 2013

artistic and other sorts of doom

I talked to Mrs N today about the possible painting class. She said they might start it as soon as March, and that Lestrade was so very kind to have volunteered to help out... I told her I wasn't sure how often he'd actually be able to do it since he's usually at work at that time...and she said she was sure I could fill in for him when he couldn't make it. She's tricky. You've got to watch her all the time or, apparently, you end up covered in small painty fingerprints.

I skipped krav maga yesterday to go with L to visit his mum (which was good, I think, in that she seems more or less resigned to my existence now?) so I went today. The instructor likes to demonstrate on me because, he says, it's important not to rely too much on body mass. Which I think is perilously close to a short joke, though I won't call him on it, because he's a bit terrifying. So I'm once again lightly bruised in various places, but it feels good to work my body that hard. It's a good class.

There are two upcoming FME courses, one in Birmingham and one in Manchester. One's quite soon, starts the 11th I believe, and the other's in early March. Lestrade, any preferences? 

58 comments:

Greg Lestrade said...

Hah, Mrs N is a genius. Hope you enjoy the paints!

How long is the course for - a week? And do you have a preference for where you go and do it?

John H. D. Watson said...

You've got to do it some of the time too!

Yeah, a week. I suppose Birmingham, just because I'm a bit more familiar with it. I've only been to Manchester that once, with you.

Greg Lestrade said...

Mmm...let me know which day it'll be on. I'll book myself to work for all of them ;)

Which one's the Birmingham one, dates-wise? Birmingham may be wise - wouldn't trust Canal Street with you.

John H. D. Watson said...

I'll have to conspire with Sally...

I'm sure they'll keep me too busy to out wandering the streets...much. Birmingham's the sooner one. I'd be gone for Valentine's Day though.

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah, that's what I thought... still, Sherlock hasn't taken me out for a date yet, and I'm starting to feel left out, after he's wined and dined you and Mrs H... And I'll plan some elaborate ridiculousness for your return.

What do you think?

John H. D. Watson said...

I'm all right with it if you are, and if work will be okay? I didn't know if you'd need more notice. Looking forward to the elaborate ridiculousness... :)

Greg Lestrade said...

The amount of annual leave I always seem to fail to take, it'll be fine. No court appearances in my diary, so...I'll check, but I think it'll be fine.

I will engage Sherlock's services in helping to plan ridiculousness.

I hope you enjoy it, even if you decide not to take it up. Sherlock will enjoy quizzing you about it. And hopefully you can help me when I bring casework home :)

John H. D. Watson said...

I have a feeling I'll be going in every morning with a list of questions from Sherlock that even the teacher may have trouble answering as fully as he'd like...

I think I'll enjoy it a lot. Looks interesting.

I will engage Sherlock's services in helping to plan ridiculousness.


And now I'm mildly concerned... ;)

Greg Lestrade said...

You mean you don't want to be shot through a flaming ring in the shape of a heart from a circus cannon... damn. ;)

Your teacher will worry when one of the questions is 'where can I get my own dead body to study from?'.

John H. D. Watson said...

And 'if I take out the brain what's the best way to preserve it in a jar'...

Greg Lestrade said...

i don't want to be getting phonecalls in the middle of my date to get you out of custody...

John H. D. Watson said...

It wouldn't make it better if I told them why I wanted to know either, would it? Worse, really...

Greg Lestrade said...

Err...yeah, probably :)

Oh, and I might have found someone to teach us to dance. Sal's sister's friend does dance classes. But we wouldn't have to go down the local sports hall and join in with the teenagers - she'd be willing to try and get us into shape during school hours, when I can make it.

John H. D. Watson said...

we wouldn't have to go down the local sports hall and join in with the teenagers

And you have no idea how grateful I am to hear that. Sounds good!

Greg Lestrade said...

We'd get beaten up if they found out I was police! And it's not like we'd have the energy to fight back, after a dance class...

She sounds nice, so hopefully it'll work out. She said it sounded like a fun challenge... so she clearly isn't expecting too much from us to start with!

Anyway, Sherlock'll be up early, I reckon. Want bed now, and french toast and fruit for breakfast?

John H. D. Watson said...

she clearly isn't expecting too much from us to start with!

And I'm grateful for that as well...

Perfect.

Greg Lestrade said...

Sherlock is back to being manic today. We're going for a bike ride, to try and burn off some energy.

He's been showing us his dance moves too.

cooking perhaps when he's a bit calmer...

pandabob said...

It sounds like you're having an interesting day, I hope Sherlock calmed down a bit before you two were worn out :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

I was worn out before we started!

Kestrel337 said...

Maybe they teach that sort of sneakiness in teacher training; I seem to have ended up on more volunteer lists than I remember putting myself on. Science Fair judge, carnival planning, Festival of Nations costumes...

It's great that Sherlock has so much joy in living, and people who are willing to help him channel it in appropriate directions. Even if it is exhausting.

Greg Lestrade said...

Sherlock is eating chocolate cake with glitter on it.

pandabob said...

yum yum, that sounds lovely

Greg Lestrade said...

It was chocolate and orange- tasted amazing. And proves we're both too tired to make good decisions, because now he's on more of a sugar high.

John H. D. Watson said...

But on the bright side, we have cake...

Greg Lestrade said...

better than death...

John H. D. Watson said...

Indeed. Definitely tastier.

Greg Lestrade said...

Mmm. What are you going to cook me for dinner tonight?

John H. D. Watson said...

...Chicken and stuff?

Sherlock said...

You both need to sit on the sofa and wait and I've made you something!

Sherlock said...

And yes chicken and garlic and maybe garlic bread too.

John H. D. Watson said...

Is it alive?

Sherlock said...

No I can't make alive things yet.

John H. D. Watson said...

Mmhmm. Yet. That's why I was checking.

What about that tomato tart I made for L's birthday?

Sherlock said...

tomato tart and chicken and garlic and bread?

John H. D. Watson said...

Yeah, all right. Do we get our surprise now?

Sherlock said...

YES sit down and hush and close your eyes and hold out your hands.

John H. D. Watson said...

Okayyyyy.

John H. D. Watson said...

They're great, Sherlock, thank you! Are these what you've been so quietly making for the last hour or so?

Sherlock said...

Yes because I can't make rings for fingers because they would be too small but these are still rings when they're tied on and they just have to go around your wrist and then I put all things on them that are like you and me and then people can know that you're mine. Yours has some wool tied on and an eye from a cuddly toy and some buttons like you cardigan and glitter and Lestrade's has glitter too and a shiny silver button like from a police uniform and a nut like from a bike maybe and they both have loads of other stuff too. Can I have banana milk now?

Greg Lestrade said...

They're amazing, Sherlock. I think I've got Lego on mine too? They're brilliant, thank you.

John H. D. Watson said...

Of course you can. And these are wonderful. Is this a bit off a keyboard on mine?

Sherlock said...

Yes and there's a bit off a bandage tied on too and the back of a bit of a bullet Mycroft and I found on the moor but don't worry it's one that's been shot already and it's just the bit the bullet was in before so it's just metal now and they've both got a stone with a hole in that I found when we were camping once on the beach.

John H. D. Watson said...

I can see you've put a lot of thought and work into it. I love it, Sherlock. Thank you.

Sherlock said...

Yes I did and I wanted to put a bone on but I didn't have any that fitted thank you for my banana milk is dinner soon?

John H. D. Watson said...

Er...if Lestrade helps me with the pastry case, it is... Do you want to ask him for me?

Sherlock said...

Yes!

Detective Inspector Lestrade needed for an emergency pastry case in the kitchen go there fast with your lights and siren and do it because I'm emergency amounts hungry!

Greg Lestrade said...

...how can ignore an emergency call out like that? Although how you can be 'emergency amounts' hungry is beyond me, given you've eaten lunch, cake, and now banana milk...

pandabob said...

Sherlock, you are growing up to be a wonderful young man :-)

I hope you don't waste away before dinner is ready ;-)

Greg Lestrade said...

Mine's go a guitar pick on it, too :)

(Dinner is now cooking, for those of you worried about Sherlock's imminent demise.)

Sherlock, I might not be able to wear it at work, just in case it got lost or broken - but I promise to wear it other times.

Anon Without A Name said...

What a wonderful and thoughtful gift for John and Lestrade, Sherlock :-)

Have you had a good day?

Small Hobbit said...

That sounds like a very impressive gift, Sherlock. You've clearly put a lot of thought into it.

Sherlock said...

Yes I had a good day with bike rides and we played in the park and Lestrade span John on the roundabout and then we went to have coffee and this morning Lestrade made french toast which is the best and then John helped me doing some drawings and we danced and I played my violin and then I made the bracelets and I didn't have time for macaroons today because we went out for cake and it was so yummy we bought some.

Anon Without A Name said...

That does sound like a good day, Sherlock :-) The cake did sound delicious when Lestrade was talking about it earlier; I was quite jealous.

Are you planning on making glittery macaroons tomorrow? Or do you have other plans?

Anonymous said...

I saw this and thought of you, although maybe you shouldn't show it to Mrs. H in case she decides to make one for Greg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/extremecraft/132463341/in/set-72057594113179598/

Small Hobbit said...

Brilliant Anon, and the colour just makes it :)

John H. D. Watson said...

Perfect! Now I know what to get him for his birthday...

REReader said...

Oh, wow, that's amazing!!

Greg Lestrade said...

That is pretty amazing.

As was Italy's victory just then!

Post a Comment