We're just back from Jo and Lisa's wedding. Sherlock fell asleep while we were still there and has been put to bed without waking enough to do more than grumble that he wasn't tired at all before dropping off again. Mycroft has retired to his room to be alone and hopefully get some sleep as well. He was, as always, a perfect gentleman, and must've danced with at least five little girls under the age of six, which takes fortitude.
I got to dance with L, which was lovely, and gave me some hope for our wedding, since I managed not to trip over either his feet or my own. Didn't even feel like I would, which I'll give him the credit for.
During the course of the evening, L managed to balance on my head a veil, a flower from the cake (the cake was delicious, by the way), and a button someone had lost. That's just the things I know about, of course. I dread to think what he'll manage for our own wedding.
And of course we got to hear him play. It was beautiful, no other word for it. Such a depth of feeling, too. I wish you could've heard it. I was, and am, ridiculously proud of him, and I know it made Jo and Lisa very happy, you could see it all over their faces.
I got to dance with L, which was lovely, and gave me some hope for our wedding, since I managed not to trip over either his feet or my own. Didn't even feel like I would, which I'll give him the credit for.
During the course of the evening, L managed to balance on my head a veil, a flower from the cake (the cake was delicious, by the way), and a button someone had lost. That's just the things I know about, of course. I dread to think what he'll manage for our own wedding.
And of course we got to hear him play. It was beautiful, no other word for it. Such a depth of feeling, too. I wish you could've heard it. I was, and am, ridiculously proud of him, and I know it made Jo and Lisa very happy, you could see it all over their faces.
26 comments:
Oh stop it, I shall get all self conscious. Again.
You were a wonderful dance partner. I was ridiculously proud to be there with all three of you. And Mycroft was indeed wonderful and patient beyond the call of duty.
Won't stop it, you can't make me. :P
Yeah, both the boys did really well. I was a little worried Sherlock might be bored. Should've known better I suppose, with all those people to ask questions of and employ in his glitter sorting scheme...
A good day, and one that sounds like it did you all credit. I hope someone was recording L's performance! (And perhaps there might be photographic evidence which will help you complete the list of John toppings.) :D
Sweet dreams, gentlemen!
rsf
And to make up more and more elaborate tales of derring do as to how his arm was broken, yeah.
(He is now the proud owner of a bit of robot drawn on the cast, too)
Mycroft, I was a little girl who an older young man danced with at a wedding.
My daughters were also little girls who were danced with at my sister's wedding.
You did a wonderful thing; they will remember it with stars in their eyes.
So glad it was a good day for all.
Sounds like you all had a wonderful day. Congrats L. on your singing/guitar playing, I'm sure Lisa and Jo were so thrilled! John ... what can I say except you must have perfect posture for all those things to stay balanced :) Mycroft, Kestrel is right ... those little girls will remember the day, and the handsome young man they danced with, for a long time. I'm sure you really made their day. And Sherlock, sounds like you had a good time too ... but I am wondering if there's any space left on your cast!
Sweet dreams everyone.
LyricalSinger
It sounds like a beautiful wedding and a special day all around, how lovely!
Oh, and happy Purim, everyone! (See the Book of Esther. :))
It was fun and they had nice dresses and flowers and there was loads of dancing and people to talk to and nice food and cake and I got loads of glitter and there isn't lots of room on my cast but I kept a bit for school. And everyone thought that John and Lestrade were mine and Mycroft's Dads but we said they weren't a MILLION times but some other people there had children too even if it was two men or two women and that's probably why they thought it and Mycroft danced and he never does fun things like dancing and he has to go back to school today.
You wereoth very patient explaining to people that John was your Nanny and I was your DI (or, in Mycroft's case, that we were your guardians). And you're right, it was because other people there had children of their own, I'm sure.
Mycroft does do fun things. Just because you don't consider them fun doesn't mean he doesn't.
Sounds like a fabulous day for everyone :-)
I'm glad to hear the dancing went well, and that Lestrade's performance was beautiful, no other word for it. Such a depth of feeling, too. Not that I'd expected much different, really :-)
I hope you all have a good day. Mycroft, I hope you've had a good holiday, and enjoy the second half of term.
BTW, I've only just seen this http://btlondon2012.co.uk/pano.html (you might well have seen it before). It's the world's largest panoramic photo, apparently, taken last year during the Olympics. It's an incredibly detail view of London, you can scoll around and zoom in and out... fascinating, even for someone who isn't a Londoner.
Oh, and Happy Purim, ReRe :-)
I have had a very enjoyable holiday, thank you.
It was nice to see John and Lestrade enjoying the wedding yesterday. They do not have opportunity to act as a couple in public often enough. I know Lestrade especially enjoyed the opportunity to dance.
Was I that obvious? :)
And now we're having a big lunch, with Mrs Hudson and Anthea joining us, before we get Mycroft back to school.
I'm glad we live close. I'd hate for the last day of holidays to be spent entirely on travelling like it must be with someof the boys there.
I'm glad you all had a great time at the wedding and that it went so well for Lisa and Jo. I never doubted your playing would be brilliant Greg but well done :-)
Have fun back at school Mycroft and good luck with all the work you have to get done this half term :-)
(Thank you, Nameless!)
It's always sad dropping Mycroft off. But this year you really get a sense that he's at home here, too. His room is more personal, he knows everyone, knows his way around. It's like a little glimpse into his life here.
Its nice that he's happy there, and that his desire to stick with it when he wasn't loving it has paid off for him. It says a lot about him :-)
The standard end of holiday question goes here ;-)
It's funny, isn't it? We are so proud watching our young people grow and thrive and become who they are. And as they move into parts and places that we aren't part of, little pieces of our hearts go with them.
He said he'll come back to visit us when we're old and grey. ;)
I am old and grey!
You're only grey, not old!
Mmm. Maybe. Feel old today. Dancing and drinking and carrying Sherlock yesterday certainly means I feel old today!
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'll rub your back later if you like?
As if I'd say 'no, I'd hate that!'
Not surprised you're tired, after having to fend off all those admirers -old and young ;) I saw Jo's Mum taking a shine to you when I was playing. ;)
She threatened to pinch my bum when I danced with her...
She clearly has excellent taste.
Post a Comment