Maf has been in for her operation. We now have a small cone cat.
She is not happy with me, but she still prefers to be bodily attached to me at all times. I assume so she can stick her claws in whenever she wants to. The worst was fishing her out from behind the refrigerator today. Claw marks nearly all the way from my wrist to my elbow. She doesn't seem to have done herself any harm in her short time without the cone though, so that's good.
The allotment is doing well. Here is some chard that the squirrels haven't eaten yet. We're going to have to replant the rest.
Chives... Looking happy and delicious.
Those red beans that are meant to grow as long as someone's arm. Tiny right now, of course, but we have high hopes.
And cucumbers with a frame for them to climb up. We've got some lettuce planted under the frame so that the cucumbers can shade it if it gets too hot.
I thought I had a picture of the supposedly pink blueberry bush from last year, But I can't find it. It's not doing anything yet anyway, and I think it should have flowered by now if it were going to. Looks healthy though. We might have to wait another year for berries.
She is not happy with me, but she still prefers to be bodily attached to me at all times. I assume so she can stick her claws in whenever she wants to. The worst was fishing her out from behind the refrigerator today. Claw marks nearly all the way from my wrist to my elbow. She doesn't seem to have done herself any harm in her short time without the cone though, so that's good.
The allotment is doing well. Here is some chard that the squirrels haven't eaten yet. We're going to have to replant the rest.
Chives... Looking happy and delicious.
Those red beans that are meant to grow as long as someone's arm. Tiny right now, of course, but we have high hopes.
And cucumbers with a frame for them to climb up. We've got some lettuce planted under the frame so that the cucumbers can shade it if it gets too hot.
I thought I had a picture of the supposedly pink blueberry bush from last year, But I can't find it. It's not doing anything yet anyway, and I think it should have flowered by now if it were going to. Looks healthy though. We might have to wait another year for berries.





77 comments:
Maf looks so sad but I'm sure a couple of days from now it'll all be forgotten, probably before your arm is recovered ;-)
Your allotment seems to be doing really well, I'm very impressed :-)
Almost certainly before my arm is recovered, ha. The advantages of being a cat, I suppose. And she was just getting over sleeping on my head at night and now she's right back to it.
It is going surprisingly well, thanks!
I'm always impressed by the miracle of seeds turning into little plants, no matter how many times I've seen it happen.
I currently have tomatoes as tall as my waist. Amazing!
Errr...tomato plants, that is.
When it comes to Winter and she's all grown up and sleeping as far away from you as possible you'll miss the sleeping on your head thing ;-)
Becca, I had weird images of giant tomatoes taking over the world ;-) I'm glad you meant plants really :-D
That photo of her is not her best side - the cone's giving her chubby furry face syndrome.
You deserved a bit of clawing - more than I did, anyway. :)
Those photos are from before our trip, so things are a bit bigger now, but nothing waist high!
L - I didn't! I was only trying to save her from herself. You were the one lying there like a large cat toy.
Link for Sherlock: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/snakes-in-a-park-and-other-unlikely-uk-sights-8278097.html
It's about small constrictor type snakes living in Regent's Park, enjoy!
70 years since D Day.
Can't imagine what our lives would have been like without the sacrifices those men and women made.
We will remember them.
It's so glorious outside. I want to be in the sun.
Are you sharing your weather with Paris then? I've been watching the tennis and it sure seems glorious there.
Poor Maf. That's true love, John. She's mad at you but needs you for comfort. Solution: stay close and make sure you know exactly how miserable she is. I know people like that. Glad the behind the fridge adventure didn't set her back any. (& thanks for the photo)
Congrats on the allotment! Squirrels can be the devil. I hope to finish eradicating our bumper crop of weeds this weekend.
I think I forgot to wish you well with your job interview, Ella!
Good day & good weekend all.
fA
Re: D Day. That was my parents' generation. I'm always struck how no. one. talked. about. the fall out. We don't do a swell job with mental health care for our returning soldiers now, but at least we do something.
Somebody might say "he had a bad war." Or my dad's "If you want to learn to shoot, say so and we'll make sure you're taught properly. But I never need to see another gun in my life." Literally, that's all he ever said, even while drinking,even after we were adults. When my uncle and aunt, in their 70s - 50 years on - visited my mom, they stayed in a hotel, not with her. I asked why, and she said "He sometimes has nightmares, ever since the war and doesn't want to disturb us. I can't talk him out of it."
And you now have heard virtually every word I ever heard about the war's aftermath in the lives of my father and 6 uncles who served. Ever. It boggles my mind.
fA
I sort of know what you mean, fA. My dad is a vet from the vietnam war. I sometimes wonder if I'd have had a 'real' dad if not for that war, but it's hard to know because he never talks. But that's just the one person in my family, not a whole entire generation.
Their sacrifices are not forgotten, not in this household.
Good luck with job interviews, cranky kitties, and all that. We're officially on summer break as of today. I haven't heard 'I'm bored' yet...
Different culture back then. I've heard old soldiers criticise those who come back now an need 'help', but I imagine some of that is a touch of wishing it had been around for them, too.
(I also imagine some is a complete fear that anyone would have wanted them to talk about it)
Different circumstances, too, because 70 years ago, the wars were "all in." Everyone participated, did something, knew someone, lost someone or something. Now, only 1% of the population is in the military, and when you come back from someplace, you're...adrift. Alone.
It's a gutwrenching, soul-stabbing experience. And heaven help you if you come back and leave the military immediately after. Then you're well and truly SOL, no matter what the VA claims.
Yeah, despite having more communication now, in an instant, we're actually much further removed. Plus censors work to 'protect' people from seeing things, which is...well, not always helpful.
DW - yeah. I've seen that, with people coming back. And these aren't close friends or family members, I'm just seeing the tip of the iceberg.
fA
L.- Yes, the line for "what we talk about" was in a different place, especially for men, then. I don't think it's a complete coincidence that John Wayne & the characters he played were so popular with that generation. Didn't say much. Had a clear moral code - and the plot let him stick to it, with some sacrifice - and the outcome was good, if hard won. Sort of like the ultimate romance novel-level wish fulfillment/escapism for those guys.
Just about all of whom would be appalled to have it put like that!
fA
My Mum and Dad always go down to London for Armistice weekend and after the parade they go to an old fashioned pub where the veterans all gather and they love listening to all their stories and they sing the old wartime songs. The only sad thing is that there are fewer veterans there each year. It's good to remember what they all did for us though.
So...did I gather from Sherlock talking at a billion words a minute that he's got a school trip coming up?
Yeah, they're doing this:
http://www.iwm.org.uk/sleepover
Sleeping on board...to say he's excited would be to seriously understate things.
I mainly got big guns, hammocks, landlubbers, and scurvy dogs from the conversation. Does Mrs N go forewarned about his recent obsession with pirates??
I think she must know. I think everyone in a five mile radius knows.
Good luck to her then.
I'm quite jealous...can't we go?
Maybe they need volunteers? She can't be taking all of them by herself.
In my experience, overnight school trips always need volunteers who can pay their own way. Many parents seeing them as offering a bit more opportunity for either adult alone time, or the chance to give any remaining offspring a bit more focused attention.
fA
Well, the school are a bit lacking in blokes. Maybe they will want us.
L.- I imagine Mrs. N. will be flat-out thrilled. Especially if there are many things available to be climbed, which are not supposed to be climbed.
fA
Mm, she might be, but Sherlock and other parents might not. We'll see.
I love that y'all take the opportunities with Sherlock and Mycroft to do things you could've done as kids but appreciate more now you're adults. :-D
Had my interview. I think it went well...? We'll see.
Ella
Crossing my fingers for you as well, Ella!
Good luck Becca.
L. - Sherlock can get used to it, and will learn that you're not there to mind him specifically, as long as he, specifically, doesn't create the need for one-on-one minding. I chaperoned throughout my kids' school years and culminated with the high school (5 day) band trip. I kept my distance as a good parent would and they were o.k. with it at ages 15 and 17.
Other parents, well you're a better judge than I, there. They're good with their kids eating your baked goods at school events and chatting at the gates at pick up time, so I'd assume they could handle the learning experience of a gay couple on a school trip if it's new to them. But that's easy for me to say.
fA
Um, Good luck Ella, as well! Meant to address you both.
I truly don't have a favorite between you two. ;-)
fA
Glad it went well, Ella. Fingers crossed for you.
Maybe I should work nights when Sherlock's on the ship. Then I'm just around a bend in the river if he manages to destroy Scratchwood services or something.
Oh God John I'm glad I knew it was the cat - I've just seen the Boss's chest, and I would have been wondering what you two had been getting up to!
Ha! My nails aren't that sharp, honestly.
Well I'd be wondering what he'd been getting up to then!
I want to know why the Boss is showing his chest at work. What vile substances have criminals been coating him with that he's stripping down that far?
fA
He has no shame and he was changing out of his suit and into casual gear. Where we're going a suit would stick out a bit.
Oi! I have plenty of shame, but It wasn't like I was running about naked, I had boxers on for 2 seconds I was changing into my shorts!
Shorts with no boxers? Why Lestrade, how daring.
wow, that "kip on a ship" school outing looks fabulous! I can well imagine Sherlock is very excited looking forward to it, and if I was a parent in that class, I think you'd have to beat me off the chaperone job with a stick.
S
Ha, I assure you the boxers remained on throughout!
I'm home, the sun is still shining! I have tomorrow and Monday off! ALL is right with the world. Might take my boys to the seaside tomorrow.
Yes!!
Things going well, then, Sherlock :)
I like the seaside and we can see boats.
...well, should have waited until tomorrow morning to break that news! You'd think I'd learn...
What's going on with the footy? We going to decide the score using Duckworth-Lewis??
They're back and about to kick off again. Which is good, because Adrian Chiles is about to melt into an incomprehensible puddle of goo.
Thank God, thought Cliff Richard might turn up and start singing!
right...should go to bed. Sherlock says we have to go REALLY early to be first to the seaside.
And apparently there's an old sunken US Navy ship, full of explosives, somewhere just off shore. Obviously we'll have to keep him well away from that... Wish you lot wouldn't leave your high explosives lying around for kids to find ;)
I'm trying to imagine what he'd do with it if he found it... Probably better to just go to bed, yes.
well...apparently it has enough left on it to destroy the entire town and send a 5 metre high tidal wave into London.... so whatever he did, we probably wouldn't be the ones cleaning up after.
That's right, look on the bright side. ;)
Sherlock, in keeping with your violin playing and also your love of experiments (but no seaside or explosives, so maybe on the boring side), some scientists have been testing whether Stradivarius violins really sound so much better than regular violins, or if it's all in our heads:
http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2014/04/07/stradivarius-violins-arent-better-than-new-ones-round-two/
Ella
Okay, so we've barely left, and have already stopped for a coffee and a pastry... Glorious day though! And I live The City when it's deserted at the weekend. Onwards to the sea!
You can't possibly go on a trip out without pastry and coffee ;-)
Have a great day and try not to stay dry :-)
We're here and it's really sunny and we're going on the pier and having ice cream and probably more coffee because John says it's like catnip but Gregnip
Sounds like a lovely day. Have fun everyone!
It is wonderful.
And we have been assured that Sherlock doesn't have the temperament for fishing.
Not even for a spot of crabbing off the end of the pier? Just think of the experiments he could perform on them, doesn't that tempt him a little. ;)
Hope you have a fun day.
He'd rather be a volunteer on the lifeboats. He's definitely enjoyed that!
Sounds like a wonderful day! Sherlock must like these excursions where he gets both of you to himself AND Fun Stuff To Do.
I hated fishing as a child. Was less frenetic than Sherlock, so I endured it, but it was booooooring. Saw amazing wildlife, but we were in rowboats on remote lakes, not the seaside.
Hope everyone's day goes well.
fA
According to my brother (who does enjoy fishing), fishing is for when you want to be quiet and think--or not-think--without people asking you what you're doing, while outdoors. Me, I prefer thinking indoors, where there are fewer bugs, so I go for needlework or jigsaws. ;)
Sounds like you're having a fabulous day!
We are. Time for home now, along with a few thousand other people - at least the bikes let us cut through the traffic!
RR, I didn't know you did needlework. I cross stitch and quilt myself.
Cool, Becca! I've done counted cross stitch, flame stitch, embroidery, needlepoint, but never quilting! I like knitting best, though--it's fun making my own patterns. :)
I am buried in housework hell. Anyone want to be bribed with cookies and/or beverage of your choise to come help?
I loathe housework, DW, but as it's you, I'd help in return for tea and biscuits. Sadly, I suspect we're a long way away from each other :-(
If you're within commuting distance I'll come, DW--after I finish taking care of my parents' bills and paperwork... :(
(Wanna swap?)
Not quite close enough for either of you, unfortunately. Thanks, though. Virtual cookies for everyone. <3
DW, you get REAL cookies for getting down to it. Hopefully, also a glow of virtue.
fA
Good luck DW, hope you defeat the housework quickly and as painlessly as possible.
I'd gladly have traded housework for yardwork...
On the upside, I'll be getting a firebowl for my birthday. The big branches we took down and cut up (by hand, no chainsaws) will make nice firewood in a few months.
I'm a needleworker too. Haven't done so much cross stitch since beginning to need glasses, but lots of knitting. most of my quilting is machine sewing, so not sure if that counts.
full weekend here too, wedding on Saturday and dancing out on Sunday. housework? lucky if I wash some dishes! :D
S
I have to say that although it's unfortunate she does look simply adorable in that cone!
Post a Comment