First, this:
I was hoping to get this up in time for L to see it at work and hurt himself trying not to laugh, but obviously I didn't make it.
Sports day was good. No serious injuries, no incidents of vomiting due to excess cake ingestion. At least not any that I had to clean up. The way some of the children were bouncing around, there might've been problems in the car on the way home.
As reported in the comments, L lost in the sack. Race. I did all right in mine. I'm fairly sure Sherlock won at consuming the most cake and also at thrusting slices upon people while informing them that he helped make it, which was only slightly true. He did help with the icing the night before. The lemon one with potatoes in did not taste at all like potatoes. It was delicious.
The Army instilled a certain wariness of obstacle courses in me, but one of you said that it would probably be designed for small children and not very fit parents, and you were quite right, which was a relief. The last time I did one, there was mud and icy rain and definitely no cake afterward. This was an improvement.
In tennis news, Wimbledon is coming up, and L suggested doing a thing for that like we're doing for the football, and Becca has kindly volunteered to set us up with something. Don't worry if you don't know anything about it. No one really knows what's going to happen. You can make assumptions, but all it takes is one bad day and the favorite is out in the second round.
I was hoping to get this up in time for L to see it at work and hurt himself trying not to laugh, but obviously I didn't make it.
Sports day was good. No serious injuries, no incidents of vomiting due to excess cake ingestion. At least not any that I had to clean up. The way some of the children were bouncing around, there might've been problems in the car on the way home.
As reported in the comments, L lost in the sack. Race. I did all right in mine. I'm fairly sure Sherlock won at consuming the most cake and also at thrusting slices upon people while informing them that he helped make it, which was only slightly true. He did help with the icing the night before. The lemon one with potatoes in did not taste at all like potatoes. It was delicious.
The Army instilled a certain wariness of obstacle courses in me, but one of you said that it would probably be designed for small children and not very fit parents, and you were quite right, which was a relief. The last time I did one, there was mud and icy rain and definitely no cake afterward. This was an improvement.
In tennis news, Wimbledon is coming up, and L suggested doing a thing for that like we're doing for the football, and Becca has kindly volunteered to set us up with something. Don't worry if you don't know anything about it. No one really knows what's going to happen. You can make assumptions, but all it takes is one bad day and the favorite is out in the second round.
106 comments:
and now there's threats of doubles too! Honestly, all the countries don't field a proper team and a 5-a-side in the World Cup y'know ;)
I hurt myself laughing, if that helps any, and David Bowie made Maf puff her fur up.
I need to watch it again now...
It really does highlight the questionable dance moves.
And the mouth movements.
Indeed.
Although I have, in my youth, obviously attempted to 'move like Jagger' ;)
Can you believe this time next week Mycroft will almost be home... we should do something nice for him.
We should. Besides banofee pie. Any ideas?
...no. I barely had enough brain for football tonight. I certainly don't have enough to think of interesting things to do.
But we have a week...I'm sure we can come up trumps.
We'll think of something. Probably right now I should drag you off to bed.
You definitely probably should. I may fall asleep and fall in the toilet or something, just to warn you. If I had a power light it would be flashing red right now, threatening emergency shut down, having hovered under 5%all day.
Only 1 perfect score out of all 3 of these games today so well done to Piplover for that. Argentina seem to be inspiring big scores for tomorrow, either that or we're mostly thinking Iran won't do an awful lot (sorry Sally) ;)
The scores on the doors today are:
Paula, Nameless - 17
Lestrade, Z - 16
Sherlock, anonybob, REReader - 15
Joolz - 14
Small Hobbit, MT88, Desert Wanderer - 13
mag, ro - 12
graham22 - 11
Lancs Anon, kholly - 10
KT - 8
John - 7
Piplover - 3
Sally - 2
The fixtures for Saturday are as follows:
Argentina v Iran
Joolz 3-0, Lestrade 5-0, Lancs Anon 4-1, Small Hobbit 3-2, MT88 1-3, Desert Wanderer 3-1, kholly 3-1, Z 4-0, anonybob 3-1, graham22 1-2, mag 3-0, Paula 2-0, Nameless 2-0, Sherlock 1-0, REReader 2-0, ro 2-0, KT 0-0, Piplover 1-0, John 6-0, Sally 3-1
Nigeria v Bosnia Herzegovina
Joolz 1-1, Lestrade 2-1, Lancs Anon 2-0, Small Hobbit 2-1, MT88 3-0, Desert Wanderer 3-0, kholly 2-1, Z 0-2, anonybob 1-0, graham22 1-2, mag 1-1, Paula 0-2, Nameless 0-2, Sherlock 2-1, REReader 1-0, ro 0-0, KT 4-2, Piplover 2-1, John 0-4, Sally 1-3
Germany v Ghana
Joolz 3-0, Lestrade 3-1, Lancs Anon 3-2, Small Hobbit 1-2, MT88 2-1, Desert Wanderer 1-1, kholly 2-1, Z 3-1, anonybob 3-0, graham22 4-0, mag 3-1, Paula 2-1, Nameless 2-1, Sherlock 1-1, REReader 1-0, ro 2-0, KT 0-0, Piplover 2-1, John 4-0, Sally 2-0
Good luck everyone. :)
All right tennis fans!
Here's the link for the men's side. I believe this will ask you to register (you can put fake names if you want, I have it set up to display username only). I've never done this before, so please have patience. Let me know if you have any problems.
http://www.tourneytopia.com/RacquetBracketWimbledonATP/becca/Pre-Register.aspx
And here's the link for the women's side. Again, let me know if there's any problems.
http://www.tourneytopia.com/RacquetBracketWimbledonWTA/BeccaPool/Pre-Register.aspx
Jesus, I'm old. Watching that Jagger/Bowie clip my mind started playing the video as released. I did snort a bit in amusement.
I did all right in mine. (referring to your race)
Jesus, John. (apparently it's my time to remember I was raised in church) Anyway: Are you ENGLISH enough or what? You didn't "do all right." You frickin' WON, to the satisfaction of Less Trade & Sherlock.
Becca, I'll try the sign ups tomorrow. Too late now, and the drink in hand may negatively affect my competency.
Night, all. Hope sleep is untroubled.
fA
Even if there had been cake at the end of your last obstacle course, would you have eaten it? I would have been wary of some Band of Brothers type "long run after eating a treat" trick.
fA - it's no good winning and then losing the battle of understatement and modesty!
Sherlock - to morrow, if you want, we can go somewhere special for breakfast that I think you'll like.
Yes why is it special?
It's special for lots of reasons! All of which you'll find out.
Special breakfast plans sound very exciting, hope you enjoy yourselves. :)
I'm glad this obstacle experience was better than your last one, John, and congratulations on your humble triumph ;)
Becca - I've done my entry, thanks, there were so many and I've gone for some Brits, some Seeds and some cos I liked the names so my scores are going to be all over the place I'm sure. ;)
(If anyone wants doubles doing then you'll have to let me know).
Done and done, Becca (congrats, by the way!). We'll see how my "strategy" pays off.
come on Iran!
I suspect I shall prove as accurate with this as I am with football, but I've entered. Thank you Becca for doing this.
Seems like the best way to follow the sport this summer.
What was for breakfast?
It's Pride weekend in Denver, which is forgotten until I was on my run and was unexpectedly joined by hordes of people in rainbow tights and tutus. Because one of the things that happens during Pride here is the Big Gay 5K. People should run in tutus more often.
Ella
I'd run in a tutu. With others. Not just on my own round the park.
Sal - shouldn't have been so quick to mock you! They're doing well.
Aces...that's where you smash the ball past the other person on the serve, right?
Bloody Messi.
Yes, Greg, a serve where the other person can't touch their racquet to it.
That was bad luck, Sal!
Becca - done my entries! Have to admit to some very unscientific methods of choosing...but there we go.
Hey, it's all fun and games :)
I have a strawberry apple cobbler in the oven. It smells SO GOOD. I can't wait to dive into it. I even have some tart frozen yogurt to go on top of it.
I definitely have as much hope for the tennis... because my football predictions have been shocking of late!
Currently on high alert, as I have been entrusted with feeding a degu and Maf is staring at us, twitching her tail.
John is between me and Argon and Maf, so I'm assuming he will go all Neuer on Maf if she makes a sudden strike...
Becca - very belated congrats on the job :-) I've done my Wimbledon picks, and if I was guessing for the football, I'm doing the computer equivalent of closing my eyes and sticking a pin in the paper, over and over again :-p Thanks for doing this for us (BTW, the Men's bracket shows usernames, the Women's shows First Name Last Name).
Lestrade - is Sherlock not on sentry duty?
Nameless - he's doing something with Mercury.
Once the contest starts, can we then see how each other are doing? I'm guessing so?...
Apologies, they should both show usernames now. I swear I pressed that ticky before...
I'm not sure how much you can see, but at the very least, I can see the standings, and I can post how many points people have each day.
Well done Ghana, that was a brilliant draw - good game, and so well held.
YES I got it right earlier and now I got it sort of right and Lestrade hasn't got any right and that means I'm beating him.
Another cracking game. I'm rooting for Nigeria!
Sherlock's even asked if we can play football in the park :)
Hmm..the place I was going to take John and Sherlock is closed on a Sunday (shows how long since I've been there! I'm going to be in so much trouble...) so now I better prepare oaty pancakes or something or I'll be in serious trouble with his highness in the morning.
Special breakfast was promised and must be delivered...
I'll have to take you all there another time.
It's not so much the breakfast that's special, but the place.
We had 4 perfect scores today and 2 people getting points from all 3 games and Sherlock fell into both categories so he has deservedly moved into the lead, well done Sherlock.
Sherlock - 19
Lestrade, anonybob, Paula, Nameless, REReader - 18
Z - 17
Desert Wanderer - 16
Joolz, Small Hobbit - 15
MT88 - 14
mag, ro - 13
Lancs Anon, kholly - 12
graham22 - 11
KT - 10
John - 8
Piplover - 6
Sally - 3
The fixtures for Sunday are as follows:
USA v Portugal
Joolz 1-2, Lestrade 1-3, Lancs Anon 1-2, Small Hobbit 0-2, MT88 0-3, Desert Wanderer 1-3, kholly 1-1, Z 0-2, anonybob 1-2, graham22 2-1, mag 0-3, Paula 0-2, Nameless 1-2, Sherlock 1-2, REReader 1-0, ro 0-1, KT 3-2, Piplover 1-0, John 0-3, Sally 0-2
Belgium v Russia
Joolz 2-1, Lestrade 2-0, Lancs Anon 1-3, Small Hobbit 1-1, MT88 2-0, Desert Wanderer 2-2, kholly 1-2, Z 2-2, anonybob 2-1, graham22 1-0, mag 3-1, Paula 2-1, Nameless 2-0, Sherlock 0-1, REReader 1-0, ro 1-0, KT 2-2, Piplover 2-1, John 2-2, Sally 1-2
South Korea v Algeria
Joolz 2-2, Lestrade 1-0, Lancs Anon 0-0, Small Hobbit 1-0, MT88 2-2, Desert Wanderer 0-2, kholly 1-2, Z 1-2, anonybob 1-1, graham22 1-0, mag 0-2, Paula 2-1, Nameless 0-0, Sherlock 1-1, REReader 0-1, ro 0-2, KT 1-3, Piplover 3-1, John 2-2, Sally 2-2
Good luck tomorrow everyone - and good luck explaining the change in breakfast plans to Sherlock, Greg, maybe the fact that he's winning will help. ;)
L - how so?
Joolz - I am definitely going to use some left-over good cheer about being in the lead to soften the breakfast blow!
John - it's just...very hard to explain. It's a place which is as London as they come, a proper East End fry-ups, strong tea, noisy, tiny cafe. And it's run by an Italian family - I briefly worked out that way, got to know them, and then went back every time I could. Except that's now been quite a long time. So I'm fully expecting Mama to give me a proper earfull. Thankfully you won't understand it!
Can't wait :) I'm sure I'll understand the idea of it if not the exact words.
Put it this way... when I was working out there, Mama would know if I'd had a rough night shift or something (Mama knows everything), and she would manage, whilst making ten cups of tea, steaming some milk and taking the orders of at least 5 other people, to provide me with a cuff around the ear for not being in for a while, an entire fried breakfast, a double espresso and a double whisky...all at 7am.
It's not a welcome every copper gets in the East End !
She sounds like an impressive woman.
The whole place is impressive, but yes, she's a proper Italian Mama. She will definitely be interested in you. (I can also guarantee she'll declare you need feeding up. Everyone, in her book, needs feeding up.)
wow, that place sounds like it deserves a proper expotition,with photos and a full report!
I think L's idea of a power light is excellent, I want one too. I think mine would be blinking red by now too. I had a wonderful day in Boston seeing all the gardens on the tour and dancing any place it seemed big enough. The rest of the team enjoyed it too so we'll probably go again next year, yay! I met up with folks who knew my mom which was a treat. Am now home, showered, and lazily eating cottage cheese out of the container before an early bedtime.
Ella, I love the image of going out for a jog and getting absorbed into the Big Gay 5K! :)
S
Ella, I love the image of going out for a jog and getting absorbed into the Big Gay 5K!
I would definitely be really happy if it was a semi-regular occurance. Maybe I can talk to my queer friends about flamboyant jogging flash mobs.
Ella
"flamboyant jogging flash mobs."
There are some phrases that cry out for a story to be written around them, Ella!
Me, I'm lost in appreciation of recorded music tonight. There are things I'd like from life that I'll probably never have or never have again, but there are some things I don't think I could even imagine to want, if they didn't already exist. The music player on random shuffle hitting a 7 song string that bounces between Bowie and Lou Reed before ending on Talking Heads and then the Kinks being one of them. Fucking Jimmy Cliff picking up from there.
And I can pull up 90 minutes of baroque string music and Bach arranged for piano next if I want to. Amazing.
fA
Okay, Becca, I filled in the tennis entries--it was a bit alarming to realize how very few names in either one I recognized, so my picks are very, very random!
Well, Sherlock just about coped with pancakes and fruit for breakfast, and it's glorious day, so we've already been out for a run.
Think we're going to go up to the RAF museum, see what that's like. I like planes :) (And it's free, so if we feel the call of the wild instead, we can just keep going and enjoy the great outdoors.)
The one in London, or in Cotsford, Lestrade? And of course you like planes--they're awesome!
London, DW. We've had a good look around, failed to answer some of Sherlick's questions, managed others. Reunited a lost child with parents, drunk coffee... A good day out!
Ella, flamboyant jogging flash mobs would make running so much more appealing, don't you think? I bet a lot of people would find more motivation to get out and run, if it was that much fun! Even if it was only a monthly special, you'd all make friends, and the camaraderie would carry over the whole month.
S
And we had ice cream. And spell my name right you should check before you post.
...you always scupper my attempts to show we do educational things with out ice cream or cake...
And look who's talking! You called me Less Trade!
That was autocorrect not me. I had a nice time though and it was interesting I'd like to go in a helicopter.
Lestrade said we can try to make a banoffee pie CAKE! We're going to see if it works and then we can make another one when Mycroft is at home and he said people liked the cake he made because he took it to a party at his school and I bet it will be nice.
Banoffee pie cake sounds awesome, Sherlock, and an excellent way to welcome Mycroft home :-)
Well...I think it's gone well! Smells good :)
John doesn't understand my sudden urge to bake things.
I don't understand his sudden urges to fold laundry or pair socks though, to be fair.
I don't mind the outcome of either habit ;)
the football is rubbish today but the cake was nice
I had to look up banoffee pie (I don't think it's a thing in the US), and a banoffee pie cake sounds excellent--I'm glad to hear it came out well. And the trip, as well!
Have you checked out the Google home page? They have been having very cute soccer doodles! (I think different ones for every day, but I'm not sure.)
I'm glad the cake was nice at least, Sherlock, even if the footy hasn't gone your way today. I'm sure Mycroft will appreciate it if you make it when he comes home too.
As there's only one more match to go before the final set of games of the group stage does anyone want me to post which teams people have picked to go through so you can check them against the tables this week or do you want me to only post the fixtures as usual and just add the bonus points in to the scores on Thursday?
Also just a bit of advanced warning that I will by posting a new entry form for the next stage of the competition on Thursday and there will only be 2 days to fill it in before the next round starts on Saturday if everyone will have time to do that please.
We'll make sure to post up the links, Joolz :)
I don't mind how you do the teams that are going through - maybe post them, if it isn't too much trouble?
...Maf has just managed to snag herself on the carpet, pouncing on one of her toys, and has now limped off under the kitchen units... and just when John had mainly healed up from the fridge incident! We are going cat-extracting...
Will you still love me if I end up with an eyepatch?
If it's suitably piratical.
Why does she attack the carpet...it's never done anything to her. Well...it has now, I guess.
Yeah. It was self defense on the carpet's part.
it's like a toenail, right? Her claw will just grow back out?
Maybe we should clip them more.
The internet says cornflour on her paw should stop the bleeding. And then we (you) should bandage it. Not sure she agrees.
we should definitely clip them more. ow.
After i bandage her, who's bandaging me?
...I can roll you in cornflour and make a lovely pastry lattice to go over you?
Or I could hold her while you check out her injury.... then we can check each other's injuries.
Maybe if we wrap her in a towel...
yeah, oddly me explaining to her what you're doing isn't really working...
We always used to wear motorbike gloves when doing anything with our cat.
Hey Becca, I filled out my tennis entries. I thought I had submitted the men's entry but then couldn't find it so did it again - if there ARE two in there under similar user names, feel free to use your executive powers to delete the one not paired with a women's entry.
Hope Maf leaves y'all not too dramatically disfigured.
Off to watch Our Boys. Note how I'm not saying that I think they'll lose. Learned my lesson, I did. ;-)
fA
Well...she bit me, scratched us both...but has had the snaggy nail clipped and she's no longer bleeding and now has one of Sherlock's socks taped onto her.
She's sitting in the middle of the room trying to look serene and stylish in her bright blue sock and exuding animosity at us. Her tail is twitching.
Dunno, fA. If they let in more goals like that...
That was some shocking defending.
Maf is attempting to rid herself of her sock. It's quite funny, but if we laugh she stares at us with that 'You won't know where, you won't know when..." type look.
And the ESPN commentators are well stocked in salt. "Scored by Nani, who didn't score at all during the season for Man U, and only once in Europe..." and "Here's the goal-scorer, Nani..."
Well, we have bought well into "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again." At some point, getting it INto the goal would be helpful.
(And what's with these Portugese - at least when basketball players throw themselves on the ground for little or no reason, they have the decency to act as if they're hurting. Where's the DRAMA?)
fA
I read a good suggestion the other day - when a footballer dives, the referee is allowed to give him whatever injury he was faking.
We'd end the games with about three players, most of them missing a limb.
Anyway, off to bed, limping cat and limping doc in tow. Come on Portugal! ;)
Hot damn. Now you can score again, guys, if ya got it in you, but I'll take a draw. Don't get sloppy and let Portugal score.
fA
Scoring off the hip. Dempsey's having a good Cup.
Dare I hope we can hold on to this? Ahh, the tension.
fA
Damn. Still, not doomed yet.
Anybody get the score right?
fA
3 perfect scores today and kholly was the only person who had a draw for USA, fA, but 1-1 so only 1 point for that. How cool is this competition that it can get fA excited about a football match and can make our current leader someone who admits to never having watched a game. ;)
The table stands at:
REReader - 21
Sherlock, Lestrade, anonybob, Paula, Nameless - 19
Z - 18
Desert Wanderer - 17
Joolz, ro - 16
Small Hobbit, MT88, mag - 15
kholly - 14
graham22 - 13
Lancs Anon - 12
KT - 11
John - 8
Piplover - 7
Sally -3
The fixtures for Monday are as follows:
Cameroon v Brazil
Joolz 0-3, Lestrade 0-3, Lancs Anon 2-2, Small Hobbit 2-2, MT88 1-3, Desert Wanderer 0-0, kholly 2-3, Z 0-3, anonybob 0-2, graham22 0-1, mag 2-3, Paula 0-1, Nameless 0-3, Sherlock 1-2, REReader 0-1, ro 0-3, KT 0-5, Piplover 1-0, John 1-3, Sally 1-2
Croatia v Mexico
Joolz 1-2, Lestrade 1-1, Lancs Anon 0-1, Small Hobbit 2-2, MT88 2-3, Desert Wanderer 0-2, kholly 1-2, Z 1-1, anonybob 1-0, graham22 0-2, mag 2-3, Paula 1-0, Nameless 2-1, Sherlock 1-2, REReader 0-1, ro 2-2, KT 2-2, Piplover 2-0, John 3-2, Sally 1-0
Australia v Spain
Joolz 0-2, Lestrade 0-3, Lancs Anon 0-2, Small Hobbit 0-3, MT88 0-3, Desert Wanderer 1-3, kholly 1-2, Z 0-3, anonybob 0-3, graham22 3-2, mag 0-4, Paula 0-3, Nameless 0-2, Sherlock 1-1, REReader 2-1, ro 0-3, KT 3-3, Piplover 2-1, John 0-5, Sally 1-3
Netherlands v Chile
Joolz 2-1, Lestrade 3-0, Lancs Anon 2-1, Small Hobbit 2-1, MT88 1-2, Desert Wanderer 0-2, kholly 1-2, Z 1-2, anonybob 1-0, graham22 2-0, mag 4-2, Paula 1-2, Nameless 0-0, Sherlock 2-1, REReader 1-0, ro 0-0, KT 2-4, Piplover 2-1, John 4-2, Sally 3-1
*looks at current numbers*
*falls over laughing hysterically*
fA, there are two entries marked with your name. Do you care which one I delete? The earlier one doesn't seem to have a matched WTA entry.
Becca, delete the one that's not got a women's entry matched to it, if you can.
Thanks.
Done!
RR- you obviously should be gambling more. Buying lottery tickets, at least!
That you are in the lead at the moment is a good omen for my tennis picks, that's for sure. ;-)
fA
Well, if the question of match fixing ever comes up, we shall know who to blame ;)
Good morning everyone (for me, at least, I guess you're having lunch over on the other side of the pond).
One of my friends sent me this; shame we didn't have it when we were filling out brackets: http://www.tickld.com/x/for-any-confused-world-cup-fans-this-is-absolutely-genius
Ella
Where's today going?? I need more time.
Oh, and Danger, did you take Her Mafness to the vet? Or did she seem okay? Has she managed to remove her sock yet? Or did threatening her with the cone sort her out?
Sorry the day is running away Greg but I guess it gives you no time to get sad at missing the sun ;-)
I hope maf's ok, she's a survivor that little cat :-)
I think most of us want more time. Me, I love both ends of the day, early and late, so I want 4 extra hours inserted between 2 a.m and 5 a.m. so I could see both ends AND get enough sleep.
Beyond that, you know, big lottery win, world peace, synchronized traffic lights - the usual.
Hope everyone's getting stuff done.
fA
Ella, that flowchart is hilarious!
Thanks
fA
...I think I might have got one right in the tennis! ;)
I need more time today too, I can't believe it's already 2 pm here and I've only just barely almost finished my "morning email and check-in" phase of the day. uh-oh!
The cat I had before the current one did let me trim her claws with nail clippers, but the current one does not. At least she's a lot more careful not to scratch people. Former cat was only interested in "play" if there was the chance of drawing blood.
S
I think I'm running somewhat better than 50% on my first round guesses in the tennis. So far. There's just SO many of 'em.
fA
Tennis results day 1:
ATP:
John: 15
fA: 14
Anonybob: 13
ReReader, Greg, Becca, Lancs Anon and Ro: 12
DW: 11
Nameless, Small Hobbit: 10
WTA:
Joolz: 16
Nameless, fA: 13
Greg, Anonybob: 12
REReader, Ro: 10
Becca, DW: 9
58 of 64 matches were completed today, play suspended in the last hour due to rain. Upsets include Sam Stosur and Sloane Stephens. Not a good day if you have a "S" name.
Can I put extra money on 'rain' winning at least one match?
Ha! I want your end of that bet...
Oh, I completely missed the link to the women's side before. Damn.
Ha! And I so nearly asked you for help... but I decided to go it alone :)
Nuts, did the tennis start already? I've been so busy with moving and starting a new job that I never got a chance to enter my picks. Oh well.
I don't often follow even ONE sport on a daily basis, so attending to Wimbledon and the World Cup at the same time feels strange. If "attending" can mean checking scores at the end of the day without watching a minute of play.
In other news I'm going to run tonight. I'm announcing it here so I'll feel guilty if I don't. Yes, that's as close as I can come to being a functioning adult, and I have grown children. What a world!
fA
Post a Comment