Saturday, September 5, 2015

mainly a picture post

First off, here is the garlic I mentioned getting out late from allotment. It's a little small and a bit bitter from being harvested too late (maybe? I'm guessing; maybe it's just not dry enough yet, though it seems to be), but there's plenty to plant next year, see if it goes any better. I think you're meant to have them out by the end of July. 


The rest of these are by L, including a very nice apple tree that is not ours. It would be nice to have though if one would fit. What do you think, Greg? (In the allotment, not in the house. I know someone is going to say something. I do not currently plan to grow fruit inside.)


And here are pictures from the Walkie Talkie...



Mycroft's back to school on the 8th, so L and I have been talking about going away somewhere for a short trip after that since we didn't want to spend our anniversary away from the boys right before they left (an excellent decision by the way, that dinner they cooked for us was amazing). 

I've been looking into a few places without telling L, but I don't want to spoil the surprise... Not quite yet at least. 

202 comments:

1 – 200 of 202   Newer›   Newest»
Greg Lestrade said...

Given the immense success of our holiday, I'll let you surprise me!!

And I think we can probably try and fit a small tree somewhere...

pandabob said...

a trip away, just the two of you, will be a great way to recover from the madness of the holidays ;-)

it is very scary to think that Mycroft starts his last year of school in just a few days, time moves so quickly!!

I hope the evening is providing a chance to relax :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

Well, it's nearly time to say goodbye to our big lad. Might have to cheer ourselves up after with an ice cream.

Joolz said...

I thought the access to that was disappearing with him. ;)

Have an amazing last year, Mycroft, I'm sure you'll be brilliant and greatly missed. Not long 'til the next holiday. :)

REReader said...

Ice cream does make things seem better... *goes to have some ice cream*

Unknown said...

I can hardly believe it's September already, where did the summer GO? Ok, I know, I pushed back the jungle, made my daughter's wedding dress, got a ceiling fixed and the attic insulated, and painted after the workmen left... but still, September already? We seem to be cramming in a few days of hot weather before we lose the chance, but it cools off so well at night, it hardly counts as a heat wave.
S

Greg Lestrade said...

Sherlock says we can get a frankenstein apple tree. Which is a good idea. It's one with different species of branch grafted onto the same trunk, so one tree will give you two or three different apple varieties. I reckon we can squeeze a small one in.

John H. D. Watson said...

Oh, that is a good idea. And goes with the general mad scientist theme of our lives with Sherlock.

REReader said...

I have to say, it sounds like a pretty amazing kind of tree to have!

Kestrel337 said...

Would it be self-pollinating, too? With the different types pollinating each other?

Greg Lestrade said...

Once he said it i did remember them from my first job. Apples are really good for it.

Kestrel - i'm not sure, but lots of people have trees there, so i don't think there would be a problem even if it wasn't.

Anonymous said...

"Lots of people have trees there"
That's a good sign. Handy to have an in house research assistant! Well done, Sherlock.

Best wishes, Mycroft, that this year is all you hope it will be and more. Hope you have time to do whatever it is you enjoy that may be more difficult to access once you move on - most situations have something like that attached to them, though we don't always see it at the time.

Good week, all.

-fA

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah, there's some beutiful little fruit trees some folks have. We'll have to ask if they are naturally small or if we need to do some careful pruning to keep them small but fruity ;)

(I'm duty bound to point out my husband is also small and fruity)

John H. D. Watson said...

I knew something like that was coming as soon as I made this post...

Desert Wanderer said...

It can be difficult to find a place to let something woody grow, especially in a flat. I mean, one or two obvious places spring to mind, but I'm sure those have already been considered. Also, how experienced are you in pruning?

Greg Lestrade said...

Pruning, i think, is more the Doc's area. I prefer to coax things into growth, with a view to spilling some seed. But as you say, such things can be tricky when there just isn't enough clear earth to flourish. Pests can always be tricky to manage.

Desert Wanderer said...

You're good at fitting things into tight spaces. I'm sure you could manage with a bit of planning, and an eye for careful positioning.

Greg Lestrade said...

It is all about positioning, indeed. And that perfect balance of tightness... You need enough room to manouver (i can't spell), and...flourish.

REReader said...

I had no idea you were such experts at tree care...

Anonymous said...

It's like the old days 'round here . . . who knew that agriculture would be such a fruitful & promising topic?

-fA

Greg Lestrade said...

well, you must know I like farming - that's why i like John, Deere.

Desert Wanderer said...

Well of course! How could you read these blogs and not pick up on your fondness for plowing, seeding, and seeing your labor come to fruition?

Small Hobbit said...

Because you find him a-tractor-ive? Or because you can combine with him?

Desert Wanderer said...

I think my comment got spammed. :( I don't understand why--certainly nothing offensive about talking about farming, is there?

REReader said...

certainly nothing offensive about talking about farming, is there?

The most natural thing in the world!

Greg Lestrade said...

SH - yeah, we like to thresh around together before baling out.

Greg Lestrade said...

Sherlock is in a silk about us going away. Even though he helped choose where we should go with John... It's a hard life, being small.

REReader said...

It is a bit rough feeling left out of things, but that's how it goes sometimes (a highly unhelpful observation). Are you going on a weekend when Mycroft will be home?

Anonymous said...

Poor Sherlock. It's never worked on any kid I tried it with, but he could tally the number of hours & minutes per week you and John spend on "boring" tasks around the house vs. the time his chores take, and console himself with how much less leisure time he has to 'waste' on life maintenance, therefore you need to get away more than he does.

Yeah, I'm not surprised the prospect of data collection isn't going to generate much sympathy in him for that assertion.

I await the big reveal - you guys do seem to do very well with your little trips. Of course, when the company is so good, how could you not?

-fA

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh you guys! The people I'm petsitting for have a giant screen HD t.v. and ALL the sports channels!! You know what this means. U.S. Open semis & finals! And it's almost in my timezone too. (Federer is such a quietly competent player. He's a joy to watch.)

-fA

Becca said...

fA, he is so pretty to watch in person, I cannot even tell you. I never saw him live before this year.

Anonymous said...

I bet, Becca. I hope you've really been enjoying yourself!

-fA

Becca said...

Oh, completely! This was such a great last hurrah before another surgery.

Greg Lestrade said...

My husband is a wonderful man. Been on a wonderful walk today along the cliffs, stopping at the pub for lunch. Amazing views from the lighthouse we're staying in. Got here last night after a great ride down in good weather.

Joolz said...

A lighthouse - you guys stay in the best places. :) An excellently planned trip indeed, well done John & Sherlock. Hope you have a wonderful time. :)

REReader said...

Ah, staying in a lighthouse must be beautiful!

(Good job helping John with the planning, Sherlock! I hope you've been having a good weekend, too.)

Greg Lestrade said...

it is lovely - huge huge sea views.

REReader said...

Rosh Hashanah starts tonight, and I want to wish everyone a shana tova--a happy and healthy year. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

Happy new year to you and yours too.

We're snuggled up watching the ocean for our final night.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, RR - and wishes for a happy year to you as well!

Sounds like another good trip. Enjoy.

-fA

pandabob said...

Staying in a lighthouse sounds like a fantastic way to spend a trip away :-)

I hope you have/had a safe trip home and that Sherlock is happy to have you home :-)

Happy new year RR.

Greg Lestrade said...

Cheers, we're home to fetch shortstuff from school so he can show us how he's settled in to his new class.

Joolz said...

Welcome home all, hope you had a wonderful trip. I'm sure Sherlock was excited for you to come and see him at school.

Shana tova to you, RR & anyone else who celebrates it.

Can I just throw out a query please to see if anyone is interested in doing a competition for the Rugby World Cup next month like we did for the footy last year. I know little about rugby but we could set it up along similar lines to the one we had before. Not a problem if nobody fancies it this time though, just thought I'd ask. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

I'd be interested, Joolz - although John's a bit more into rugby than I am. Although I do like a good fly-half ;)

And here's a very good blog from one of the Commanders - I think it should be compulsory reading for the general public, to be honest.

https://policecommander.wordpress.com/2015/09/14/the-loss-of-innocence/

Sherlock is settling in to his new class very well. He has a red drawer for all his things, a set of safety goggles, for sciencing, more computers and a bigger bookshelf. So all good. And he's currently in a group called The Armadillos. I'm not sure why.

pandabob said...

I'm glad Sherlock has settled in ok, I always think it's strange how quickly they settle in and get on with things but I guess adults do that with new jobs as well :-)

I'd give it a go Joolz not that I can claim much knowledge of the rugby but I probably will watch a lot of it :-)

I hope no on gets washed away today or is it less wet in the south than up here? we had very soggy school uniforms this morning!!!

Greg Lestrade said...

Working late. Sal's abandoned me. Want to go home. SHould have stayed on holiday.

pandabob said...

She's a lazy sergeant that Sally ;-)

Do you look likely to escape before bedtime?

Greg Lestrade said...

She's not just abandoned me, she's abandoned me for 2 weeks in Antigua...

Anonymous said...

Probably your fault for blogging all those beautiful vacation shots. Stuffed her head with unrealistic notions about enjoying life outside of work!

-fA

Greg Lestrade said...

I'll put her straight about that once she's back. No time for having a life and going on holiday with your boyfriend when there's police work to do.

Not when you're a DS anyway.

Anonymous said...

Brace yourself. If a two week vacation goes well, you'll be approving leave for a honeymoon next year. ;-)

-fA

Greg Lestrade said...

Ha, I'm sure Sal isn't in a rush. I've still got bruises from offering to tell her fella where I got my wedding suit from.

Anonymous said...

Did you just accuse your DS of insubordination & assault?? Look how things go to hell when she leaves you with only everybody else on your team to keep up the side!

Hope you're home or close to leaving for it.

-fA

Greg Lestrade said...

Today mildly improved by just meeting my very soggy husband in the cells. Obviously he was here to see another man, not me, but I try not to get jealous ;) he was being told off by the custody sarge for leaving a puddle on the floor...so I told him where the mop was, because I'm kind like that.

I think it's going to rain now until at least May.

REReader said...

It's so nice to hear that Sherlock is settling into his new class so well!

(That blog is just heartbreaking.)

And did you helpfully guide John to the mops? :)

Greg Lestrade said...

I didn't guide him - I'm a very busy DI. I just told him where to find it.

He told me I'd find my dinner in the cat tonight. Which wasn't true, because I got home before he did and then cooked hot dogs because everyone was too hungry to wait for anything more glam. Sherlock and Mrs H had cooked a battenburg after school, so we're having that for pud.

REReader said...

Heh heh!

Hot dogs are a fun now-and-then dinner. I had to look up battenberg, it looks yummy and as though it would be not-easy to make!

Becca said...

I like cutting up hot dogs and then mixing them in with scrambled eggs, myself.

Greg Lestrade said...

I don't know if it would go with my scrambled eggs - I go the French way, full of creamy loveliness. But I can imagine Sherlock spending his student years living off scrambled eggs and hotdog. Probably with a caviar garnish...followed with ice cream.

REReader said...

I can totally visualize this... (I worked in the dorm office during my undergraduate years, you see.)

Anonymous said...

I have known students (& other young & busy ones) live off of odder & less nutritious diets. The human body takes a lot of poor usage - until all of a sudden, it doesn't.

I am unsurprised that Sherlock is becoming a baker. Is he interested in all cookery, like Mycroft?

Hope John (& everyone else) was fed, warm, dry and content in time for a restful night.

-fA

John H. D. Watson said...

Joolz - we can give it a try with the rugby, though I'm not sure how much I'll get to actually watch this time around...

Joolz said...

Okay thanks guys, I'll set up an entry form like before with the first round matches & everyone is welcome to play or not as they prefer. I think we proved last time that it doesn't matter whether you know anything about it at all, it's just random guessing & lots of fun. ;)

Hope everyone has a great day. :)

Small Hobbit said...

Sounds good Joolz. Wales for the win!

Greg Lestrade said...

Sherlock's interests definitely lie at the sweeter end of the scale.

tonight we had roasted veg with mascarpone couscous and chickpeas. Just to prove we do eat things other than cake...

REReader said...

Yummmmm....

Sherlock said...

And it had OUR garlic in it and our courgettes and OUR CHICKPEAS but we had to put extra in too. And I'll do the rugby too because I'll play rugby when I go to big school Lestrade and John say.

REReader said...

I'm sure your garlic and courgettes and chickpeas are much fresher than anything you could buy--better, too, because they are yours!

(I'm afraid that as an American I have never even seen rugby being played--I know that it's a game and that's about it.)

Joolz said...

Eating home grown produce is always the best, I'm sure yours were delicious, Sherlock.

I very foolishly didn't realise the rugby actually starts tomorrow, I thought we had a couple of weeks so I'm sorry for the short notice, but I have done the entry form now if anybody would like to have a go and I will start adding in the scores from whenever I receive each person's entry so the sooner you enter the more games you will be eligible for. The first game is at 8 tomorrow night so if you get them entered by then you should get the chance for full points.

Of course you're welcome to enter Sherlock, especially as it is something you will be playing in big school.
I've never been to a live rugby match either, RR, so I wouldn't worry about that and USA are one of the teams so I'm sure have as much chance as anyone. I just randomly guessed numbers and went for the teams I liked - a very well thought out system as you can see. ;)

The link to the entry form is below and good luck to everyone that has a go. All it needs is a username so you can enter even if you only like to read on the site and not make comments - it's open to all. :)
http://www.carryon.org.uk/worldcup2014/index.php/367818/lang-en

Anonymous said...

Homegrown veg is the best veg! You can pick things when they are exactly the maturity you want them to be, and eat while they're fresh.

If I get to it I'll fill out an entry form. Not sure if I'll base it on team location or what, as I know NOTHING about rugby. I have a vague idea that it's a more punishing version of soccer/football - more contact along the lines of U.S. football? I knew a couple of women's rugby players in college & they seemed to relish their bruises and jammed fingers.

-fA

Small Hobbit said...

I have entered my scores. Some of which I admit are what I'd like to see happen, rather than what I expect to see happen. *Waves the flag with the red dragon on it*

Greg Lestrade said...

So, confusingly, there's Rugby Union and Rugby League - but we only need to know about Union here :)

Very basically:


Two teams of 15 play.
The ball is an 'oval' shape.
You can score 4 ways - a try (which is like a touch-down in American football, but the ball must be touched to the floor by the hand/arm/upper body of the player). (5 points)
Once you've scored a try you can 'convert', by kicking the ball between the posts (above the crossbar) a bit like a penalty kick. (2 points)
Drop goal - kicking the ball over the crossbar whilst it's in play. (3 points)
Penalty kick - kicking the ball as above but when it's not in play, because a penalty has been awarded. (3 points.)

There's lots of other stuff about line-outs, rucks, mauls, scrums etc.

I can really just suggest getting on YouTube and looking at Rugby - there'll be some great compilations on there.

A bit like American Football, but without the padding ;)

Lancs. Anon said...

That was an exercise in random numbers, not even slightly sure that the individual scores match with the group predictions!

Greg Lestrade said...

Got to cut your losses, Lancs. - don't think mine match either!

Joolz said...

I know what you mean about the randomness, mine didn't match either, I just picked who I liked. ;)

Have had Small Hobbit and Lancs, Anon, thank you for those.
Greg and Sherlock - you have both put down the names of the teams you want to win each game but not an actual score for each match. If you want a chance to be able to score the full points would you be able to do it again with a score in each game please - sorry to make you do it again.

Greg Lestrade said...

..that's totally my fault. He watched me do it, and I didn't read the instructions... You may have to just take his, because he's gone to bed! And he only picked on where he'd prefer to go on a holiday...

I'll do mine again.

Greg Lestrade said...

Done it. Probably doesn't match the first. Had a discussion about 'impossible' scores...1,2 and 4? Got laughed at by my husband because Sherlock had asked when we predicted the scores, and I'd said you must be doing that bit later...had my prowess as an evidence finding courtroom commanding super sleuth questioned.

Joolz said...

Ok, got your updated one, thanks Greg, and got yours too, John and also one from Nameless so thanks for all those. Sherlock can do his tomorrow after you tell him you were just testing him to see if he'd spot your deliberate mistake. ;)

Greg Lestrade said...

I might be too scared to tell him..

Sherlock said...

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY

Greg Lestrade said...

(for the avoidance of confusion, it is his birthday only if you follow the Sherlockian calender. Wherein a birthDAY consists of everything from the close of work /school on the preceding Friday up to and including the actual day, and quite possibly the weekend after, too.

REReader said...

And a very happy birthday weekend to you, Sherlock! Me, I'm all for extending a celebration on all sides--let the Wild Rumpus start!

Greg Lestrade said...

Love the Bleed For England campaign. Only wish I could join in.

Small Hobbit said...

I'm off on holiday for a week, so Happy Birthday in advance Sherlock! I look forward to hearing all about it on my return.

Anonymous said...

I heartily approve of Sherlock's definition of birthday!

-fA

Becca said...

Wow, Sherlock! I remember how excited I was to be two digits. Which day is your actual birthday?

Kestrel337 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kestrel337 said...

I assume Bleed for England is a nationwide blood drive? What a pity that you cannot donate. I assume it has to do with sexuality.

Greg Lestrade said...

It is, and...it is. It is incredibly frustrating.

Joolz said...

First day and we almost had a special bonus point awarded already - Lancs Anon guessed the England v Fiji game would be 35-12 and it actually ended 35-11 so close but no cigar. ;)

The actual predictions for the game were as follows: Joolz 27-13, Small Hobbit 15-8, Lancs Anon 35-12, Greg 24-16, Sherlock Fiji, John 32-18, Nameless 25-19, Pandabob 27-13, Piplover 20-15.

One point will be given for guessing who wins, one special bonus point will be given if you get the score exactly right and one point will be given if you correctly predict that the difference between the winner's and loser's scores is either 0-6 points or 7+ points. For example Pandabob guessed 27-13 which is 7+ and Piplover guessed 20-15 which is 0-6. Because the final score was 35-11 which is 7+ then Pandabob gets an extra point. Does that make sense?

The table for the first day stand as follows:
Greg, John, Joolz, Lancs Anon, Pandabob, Small Hobbit - 2
Nameless, Piplover - 1
Sherlock - 0

The fixtures for tomorrow are:
Tonga v Georgia
Joolz 19-14, Small Hobbit 15-6, Lancs Anon 35-4, Greg 35-10, John 22-18, Nameless 19-7, Pandabob 17-22, Piplover 12-30

Ireland v Canada
Joolz 25-20, Small Hobbit 28-3, Lancs Anon 25-27, Greg 46-24, John 45-12, Nameless 29-13, Pandabob 35-20, Piplover 46-17

South Africa v Japan
Joolz 18-15, Small Hobbit 23-11, Lancs Anon 48-17, Greg 45-10, John 35-20, Nameless 23-19, Pandabob 45-24, Piplover 36-27

France v Italy
Joolz 28-23, Small Hobbit 14-6, Lancs Anon 23-17, Greg 12-21, John 23-25, Nameless 27-25, Pandabob 19-24, Piplover 12-35

We have 9 people at the moment and only 1 game has been played so there is plenty of time if anyone else wants to click on the link below. I'll add in Sherlock's and anyone else's predictions as soon as I get them so please join in if you want to play. Good luck everyone. :)
http://www.carryon.org.uk/worldcup2014/index.php/367818/lang-en

Greg Lestrade said...

So...against much better judgement...we are going indoor skydiving today, for (one of) Sherlock's birthday treats.

I'm fairly sure we'll never get him to come back to earth. The way he's jumping around the flat you'd think he was already in the wind tunnel.

I'm sure it'll be fun...for at least some of us ;)

Greg Lestrade said...

well...John and I have done 3 1200ft skydives each. Sherlock has done 6.

Tomorrow we are going climbing/abseiling, and Mycroft's coming with us.

Sherlock may have become 1 year older but this weekend is making me feel about 20 years older...

pandabob said...

That sounds awesome :-D and tomorrow sounds like it'll be fun as well, especially with Mycroft able to make it :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

You seem to be suffering from autocorrect, AnonyBob - I know you meant to write 'tiring', but it's put 'awesome'. ;)

Canada, oh Canada...ouch! What a scoreline.

(We are baking a very large very chocolate cake.)

pandabob said...

Ooooo cake!! Can I have some? ;-)

Greg Lestrade said...

it's a Devil's Food Cake, with some cherries, cream and chopped toasted nuts... because you only get 4 or so 'birthdays' a year, right? ;)

Greg Lestrade said...

Well...that was a surprising result!

Joolz said...

It was rather, wasn't it. I don't think my prediction skills will be able to cope. ;)

Has your stomach settled enough to enjoy the cake tonight or is it being kept for Monday (or is that a silly thought - to imagine cake would last that long in your house) ;)

Greg Lestrade said...

I did make a case for a beetroot chocolate cake. I lost, and the only hint of fruit and veg is the cherries...

Almost half of it has already gone.

Kestrel337 said...

That does sound good, though. And fun. The coconut milk cupcakes I made this morning have suffered a similar fate.

Joolz said...

One new player from the France/Italy game onwards - Welcome KT :) - and four games today which have spaced the scores out a little more so the table stands as follows:

Small Hobbit - 6
Pandabob, Piplover - 5
Greg, John, Joolz, Nameless - 4
Lancs Anon - 3
Sherlock - 1
KT - 0

Here are the fixtures for the three games tomorrow.

Samoa v United States
Joolz 27-20, Small Hobbit 21-3, Lancs Anon 57-5, Greg 45-23, John 21-18, Nameless 17-21, Pandabob 14-36, Piplover 50-30, KT 20-26

Wales v Uruguay
Joolz 30-14, Small Hobbit 32-5, Lancs Anon 42-8, Greg 24-34, John 25-18, Nameless 29-13, Pandabob 46-10, Piplover 40-35, KT 10-15

New Zealand v Argentina
Joolz 34-17, Small Hobbit 35-8, Lancs Anon 33-26, Greg 79-3, John 38-12, Nameless 17-6, Pandabob 40-25, Piplover 45-30, KT 19-19

Good luck everyone :)

(Do you want me to take Sherlock out as it doesn't seem fair for him not to have the chance of full points, unless he wants to fill in the form tomorrow and then I can include him properly?)

REReader said...

Hey, Joolz, I just submitted. (Totally at random, I may add!) I put in 0-0 for the games that I think were already played.

Whoa, skydiving AND climbing/abseiling AND devil's food cake all in one weekend? Sherlock is having the best birthday weekend!

Sherlock said...

It was great it was like flying and I went really high and did a forward roll and everything and it was maybe even better than jumping out of a plane because it only stops when they turn it off not when you are about to hit the ground.

Now we are waiting for Mycroft to get breakfast and do something called bouldering which is like climbing but sideways or something and then abseiling and proper climbing when they teach us how to tie ourselves onto the rope and everything.

Tina said...

Sunds interesting. Have fun!! (And it´s OK to just watch others do it :-))

REReader said...

I never heard of bouldering before. I hope you'll tell us how you liked it (and of course proper climbing and abseiling), and whether they can equal sky diving!

I gave to say that diving on a column if air does sound far preferable to jumping out of a plane! (Especially since I don't think I could persuade myself to jump out of a plane!)

Have fun today guys!

Greg Lestrade said...

okay, climbing was fun...and I'd like to pretend I wasn't very good because I'm not built for it...but the instructor said I had a great build for climbing, so I have no excuse! Sherlock and Mycroft were both excellent. It was a lovely thing to do together, and yeah, fun.

REReader said...

Well, L, practice makes perfect--you'll just have to go climbing again! Glad to hear everyone enjoyed themselves. :)

Joolz said...

Glad you all enjoyed the climbing - a very active couple of days, I'm sure you guys will probably be glad to go back to work for a rest. ;)

Three games today and another new player - Thanks RR and welcome to the fun. :) - so here is how the table stands after the first eight games.

Small Hobbit - 12
Joolz, Piplover - 10
John, Lancs Anon, Pandabob - 9
Greg, Nameless - 8
Sherlock - 3
REReader - 2
KT - 0

So Small Hobbit remains the early leader but there's plenty of time for people to catch up. Next game is Wednesday so I'll post the predictions on Tuesday and there's still time for people to join if they want to.

(Sorry to be a complete pest, especially when it's his birthday weekend :), but could I have a yay or nay on if Sherlock is going to fill in a form please so I know whether to include him in the table or just take him out. Thanks)

Sherlock said...

I did it but I don't remember what I put first so it might be all different but some people are good who I didn't think would be too and even though Lestrade said it wasn't fair that I knew that now he said probably no one would mind too much and anyway it's my birthday.

It was loads of fun today and John said if I really liked it we can go again or even I could do a course there.

REReader said...

It's just for fun, Sherlock, so no one minds at all that you have a little extra knowledge--I'd say it just makes up for losing a little time. :)

It sounds like every bit of your birthday weekend has been good, Sherlock, I'm so pleased! Happy birthday!

Joolz said...

That's great, Sherlock, thank you for filling it in, it's more fun if you get to play too and it doesn't matter that you know the teams, as RR said, it'll make up for the other points.

Are you doing anything else fun for your actual birthday - are you allowing to take cakes or sweets in to school for your friends or anything like that? It certainly sounds like you've had a brilliant birthday weekend. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

so...some husband or other said he wasn't going to get to see much rugby.... but another husband (a dashing detective, no less), has bought tickets for the game on Thursday, so, Dangerlocks, you will get to go (and see) the Ball!

John H. D. Watson said...

I love you, Detective Inspector Sneaky. How long have you been planning that??

Joolz said...

What a great game to be going to as well, it'll be exciting to see New Zealand in action. Well planned Mr Dashing Detective. ;)

Happy Birthday Sherlock. Hope you have a brilliant birthday now you've made it to the double digits, practically a grown up already. Have fun. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

Happy Birthday Sherlock! It is an absolute joy to watch you growing up and be a part of your life. you're a wonderful young man, with a great future.
Welcome to double digits :)

Tina said...

Happy Birthday Sherlock! Have fun!

REReader said...

Happy birthday, Sherlock, and congratulations on reaching a full decade!

Greg Lestrade said...

And, Danger ..I've been planning it for.. Oh, days...since... Friday?? I'm very organised like that. :)

Anon Without A Name said...

Happy Birthday Sherlock!!

Lancs. Anon said...

Happy Birthday Sherlock!

pandabob said...

Happy birthday Sherlock :-)

I'm glad you had an awesome birthday weekend and I hope you have a great day today :-)

John H. D. Watson said...

Happy birthday, Sherlock, and yes, I have updated the header. Congratulations on making it into double digits!

L - you are incredibly organised, I've always been impressed by your organisational skills. (That's actually not sarcasm.)

Greg Lestrade said...

I think you have the metropolitan police service to thank for that. Im fairly sure no one ever called me organised during my youth...

Nicky said...

It is definitely not something he could have been accused of in his younger days.

Happy birthday Sherlock, I'm glad you had such a fun weekend.

Becca said...

Happy Birthday Sherlock!

Greg Lestrade said...

This is quite shocking news - I want you all to be prepared...

We did NOT have pizza for birthday dinner! Sherlock was given a choice of anything he wanted, and chose wild boar burgers, instead.

Piplover said...

Happy Birthday, Sherlock! I hope you have a wonderful day. Welcome to double digits.

Becca said...

Wow! How was the boar? I've never had it.

I'm having another ankle surgery tomorrow, first thing in the morning (I have to be there at 5:30). So I may not be around a lot in the next few days, but I will try to keep ya'll updated.

REReader said...

Wild boar burgers? That's adventurous! Were they good?

REReader said...

Oh, hey, best of luck, Becca, I hope it all goes well.

Greg Lestrade said...

Bets of luck with the op, Becca.

And the wild boar was delicious. We had it with fried onion, gorgonzola and salad.

Anon Without A Name said...

Well, the world does seem to be really rather porcine-focussed at the moment; you can't expect Sherlock to feel left out :-)

I hope you've had a great day. Sherlock!

Good luck, Becca, I hope it all goes well and you have a swift recovery.

Greg Lestrade said...

There were a number of pig-related jokes, which I think went over Sherlock's head, during the prep work. John is good at laughing and shushing at the same time...

REReader said...

Sounds like just what a birthday dinner should be. :)

Mycroft said...

Happy birthday, Sprog.

Becca said...

Spoken like a true older brother :)

Greg Lestrade said...

Here's a thing I learnt today: Left handed people are actually generally shorter than average. So, you know, Danger can't help it. Love my leftie :)

Anon Without A Name said...

Happy blogiversary, John; it's five years since you started this blog. Thanks for letting us be a part of it :-)

John H. D. Watson said...

Thanks! That seems like both an unbelievably long time to run this blog and an amazingly short time, considering all that's happened.

Greg Lestrade said...

Wow. I can't believe you've all been in my life for fewer than 5 years.

John H. D. Watson said...

Seems like forever, right? ;)

Greg Lestrade said...

Only in the best possible way!!

John H. D. Watson said...

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Greg Lestrade said...

Do you think Dr E would be proud of you?

John H. D. Watson said...

Ha. I think Dr E would be ASTONISHED.

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah Mr 'i won't write anything ' :)

Hey, got some news today. Once Sal is back I'm going to be seconded for a while. Still in London though.

John H. D. Watson said...

Uhoh... To where?

Greg Lestrade said...

Child protection. They've lost their DI to historicals. We've got enough DIs washing about to cover me.

And a short text conversation with our eldest has meant I'm not being seconded, I'm going to be on secondment. ;) lucky i've got you lot to teach me these things, or I'd never learn.

Anonymous said...

Holy cow! Fantastic birthday doings! Surprise rugby tickets! Blog anniversaries! Sorry to have been out of the loop for a few days!

Happy belated birthday, Sherlock! You have got the best celebratory event planners ever, I think. Sounds like the activities were well chosen.

Becca, hope surgery goes/went well. Let us know when you can.

L. - Good luck on your secondment (using that correctly?) Child protection sounds like a grim assignment, but thank god there are those of you working to counter the unpleasant realities, & to improve at least some kids' lives.

John, thank-you. I've said many times how bright a spot these blogs have sometimes been. Thank-you.

-fA

REReader said...

First--lest I forget--as tonight/tomorrow is Yom Kippur I wish you all a g'mar chatima tova (may your fate written in the Book of Life be sealed for a good year).

A five-year blogiversary is a major accomplishment! Thank you for keeping it going, John, and to the whole Holmes/Watson/Lestrade family for sharing your lives with us.

Good luck on your stint at child protection, L--as fA says, it sounds grim but has potential to do so much good. (Which you could really say about almost every aspect of police work, now I think about it.)

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah, I think it will be hard. But it would be worse not to catch the offenders, so... Anyway, it won't be for too long, I hope.

I've got a meeting there tomorrow. Get to meet my new team.

Becca said...

Got back from the hospital a couple of hours ago. All went well!

REReader said...

So glad to hear that, Becca. Heal quickly and well!

Becca said...

Thanks RR. So far the pain is manageable, but the nerve block is still working.

Greg Lestrade said...

Glad to hear it went well, Becca. Best of luck for a swift healing.

Joolz said...

Glad everything went ok, Becca, hope it heals quickly.

Happy anniversary, John, it's great to be able to share in the happenings of your lives.

Good luck with the new temporary job, Greg, hope it's not too traumatic.

Here are the fixtures for the games tomorrow:
Scotland v Japan
Joolz 28-16, Small Hobbit 28-10, Lancs Anon 28-11, Greg 23-20, Sherlock 23-27, John 26-21, Nameless 15-12, Pandabob 38-28, Piplover 40-15, KT 29-17, REReader 22-12

Australia v Fiji
Joolz 31-9, Small Hobbit 27-18, Lancs Anon 23-12, Greg 20-17, Sherlock 45-9, John 42-22, Nameless 31-13, Pandabob 24-19, Piplover 20-12, KT 30-28, REReader 28-18

France v Romania
Joolz 21-6, Small Hobbit 18-5, Lancs Anon 52-7, Greg 23-12, Sherlock 12-8, John 35-18, Nameless 27-15, Pandabob 32-16, Piplover 12-15, KT 16-18, REReader 10-24

Good luck everyone. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

Thanks Joolz, you're doing a great job!

Becca said...

My nerve block wore off. If my next dose of painkillers doesn't get the pain down, I'm calling a doctor.

Greg Lestrade said...

Hope it does work, Becca, or if not that the doc can help. Best of luck.

My 'new' team as-will-be are all lovely. The DI there at the moment gave me a brief rundown on what they usually tackle, then threw me to some sergeants to have a look around and meet everyone. It's definitely not going to be easy.

Sherlock said...

Tomorrow Lestrade is making Taralli for us because he's off work and then I will eat them ALL when they are watching rugby.

I hope you are better soon Becca because it is very very boring when you can't do anything because it hurts.

Happy Yom Kippur ReReader and what do you eat for that celebration because a little while ago it was the apples and honey one wasn't it because I remember they said at school.

Anonymous said...

Becca- call sooner rather than later! But I know you know that.

RR- the holiday will be over before you see this, I imagine, but I hope Yom Kippur was peaceful and meaningful for you. And that the fasting went easily! To piggyback on Sherlock's question (if you don't mind educating us) is there an immediate celebration when Yom Kippur ends, or is everything still pretty somber until Sukkot?

I'm waiting for some (good natured) trash talk about the rugby - maybe I'll learn something! So far the glimpses I've seen boil down to reinforcing my impression that high-level rugby players are generally strapping lads, broad of chest & muscular of thigh.

-fA

Anonymous said...

P.s. I had to google Taralli, they sound good! Do you make sweet or salty ones, Sherlock?

(Sounds like a good day off activity, L. Glad you feel good about your new/temporary team.)

-fA

Greg Lestrade said...

Rugby player are either 'strapping' or 'brick shithouse' in stature, yes. But it's a very well-mannered sport. No talking back to the ref, no crowd trouble - crowds aren't even segregated. Football could learn so much.

I'll be making salt and pepper taralli....Sherlock will not be eating them all. The only recipe I know makes about 100 of them! Which will last...at least into Friday, in this house.

Joolz said...

I haven't seen taralli before but they look nice. Do you have to make them with that twist like pretzels or can you do them in any shape you like (and no I don't mean rude ones-well maybe I'd have to try a couple) ;) Will Sherlock be helping you when he comes home or will they be done and dusted by then. Hope you enjoy them anyway.

Three games today and the field is a little more spread out now with this 7 point thing adding extra points but no-one has got a special bonus point yet for getting the score exactly right - I wonder if there will be one or if we'll go through the whole tournament without such chance. The new table is as follows:

Small Hobbit - 18
Joolz - 16
Lancs Anon - 15
John, Pandabob, Piplover - 14
Nameless - 13
Greg - 12
REReader, Sherlock - 6
KT - 3

Predictions for the New Zealand v Namibia game tomorrow-
Joolz 36-13, Small Hobbit 42-6, Lancs Anon 54-5, Greg 90-10, Sherlock 35-9, John 75-6, Nameless 29-15, Pandabob 46-10, Piplover 30-25, KT 20-18, REReader 23-12.

Have fun at the game tomorrow, you'll have to tell us if the high scores you've both predicted were well deserved. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

Well, NZ have predictably changed their line-up - 12 men replaced from the opening game. Resting a lot of big players. So I don't think they'll get to triple digits...but you never know, the reserves will have a lot to prove!

Tiralli are usually just rings, to be honest, but they sort of squish into elongated ovals. And I imagine Sherlock will just be home in time to eat as many as he can...

REReader said...

Sherlock--The apples with honey was just ten days ago, you are quite correct, they are for Rosh Hashanah, which is The Jewish New Year. (It's not just apples with honey, it's also honey cake, and honey on challah, and anything sweet or otherwise symbolic of a sweet/good new year!) We don't eat anything special for Yom Kippur, though; as fA correctly said, it is a fast day, so no food or drink for 25 hours, not even water. It's not a sad day, but it is a solemn one; it's the day we specially contemplate on how we acted in the past year, and how we could do better, and pray to be forgiven for the things we did wrong and for the coming year to be a good one. (If we did things that hurt other people, we have to ask those people for forgiveness, God can't forgive that, only the people can.) But we have a holiday meal before the fast! The only special food for that is kreplach in chicken soup--kreplach are triangles of dough filled with chopped meat. (I don't know what they are served then, but that is the tradition! They're very good, so I don't really care so much why. :))

fA--We hope our prayers have been answered, so we are hopefully happy after! It is not traditional to have a holiday meal after Yom Kippur, but I've read that there's a trend of people making pretty large parties after the fast, with lots of guests and good and heaven knows what. It doesn't strike me as something I'd want to do; I always feel more than slightly unwell after fasting and I have to think that eating a lot right after would lead to upset stomachs! (Right now I'm gingerly sipping pedialyte to replace lost electrolytes, I dehydrate fast. :))

I hope your pain pills worked, Becca.

I had to look up taralli, too--they look good!

Becca said...

Called my doctor. Got permission to take a high dose of Naproxen, which is helping a great deal. Thanks all.

Greg Lestrade said...

Glad it's helping, Becca.

I've been told drinking wine at half nine in the morning is a slippery slope to ruin ;)

REReader said...

Or at least indigestion (I would think)!

...Although, come to think of it, I've seen it drunk earlier in the day than that, even, without ruination following. (For ritual purposes at a bris, granted, but still!)

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday, Sherlock, and congrats on the decade! I also approve of elongated birthday celebrations.
Happy blog-anniversary also, John, and like others have said, I can't believe it's only been 5 years. wow. Thanks to everyone for all the fun!
S

Greg Lestrade said...

This was the ritual purpose of finishing off the bottle I was cooking with. Although I do get John's point that standing over the sink swigging wine from the bottle might be a bit of a worrying sight.

Becca said...

Sherlock, would you be interested in any pictures of my more curious bruises from the surgery? No incisions yet, they're wrapped up in the splint, but blood thinners plus bruises have gotten different.

Greg Lestrade said...

And we are off. Getting some dinner out before the game.

Sherlock will probably look like that dead mouse in the birthday cake when we get back, stuffed full of taralli. Or tarantulas, my phone suggests.

REReader said...

He needs something to fill the time while you're gone... ;)

Have fun, guys!

(What dead mouse in which birthday cake?!?)

Kestrel337 said...

Taralli look delish; no thank you to tarantulas. I cannot imagine having the patience to shape 100 of them! But then, I'm a 'frozen pies are every bit as fine as anything I could make' sort of housewife.

Becca, hope the OTC stuff continues to work for you. Best wishes for good healing!

Greg Lestrade said...

It was great. I've lost my voice

REReader said...

Sure sign of a good game. (Or so I understand. :-) )

Greg Lestrade said...

It was, very good. Especially the first half.

Beer, rugby, completely acceptable hugging between men in public... What more could I want??

Joolz said...

Well that sounds like an excellent way to spend the evening, glad you guys enjoyed it, and had such a good result to show for it, too, with everyone getting at least 1 point for the NZ victory.
The table is now:

Small Hobbit - 20
Joolz - 18
Lancs Anon - 17
John, Pandabob - 16
Nameless, Piplover - 15
Greg - 14
REReader, Sherlock - 8
KT - 4

Only one game again for Friday and the predictions are as follows:

Argentina v Georgia
Joolz 17-14, Small Hobbit 12-15, Lancs Anon 23-14, Greg 34-24, Sherlock 32-20, John 45-12, Nameless 29-12, Pandabob 25-7, Piplover 20-15, KT 19-17, REReader 25-20

Good luck everyone. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm so tired! I,m clealry not young enough to be out all night and then get up for work anymore.

Where's the Greg who used to party all night, go home for a shower and shave and be in for morning parade?? Smoeone find him. He can do my work while I go home for a kip.

REReader said...

Hang in there, the day's half over!

Greg Lestrade said...

I did survive. And Sherlock persuaded John we should have fish and chips for tea, so that was excellent.

The dead mouse in a birthday cake was a story I thought I'd told... one year, when we were little, Mum had actually made a birthday cake for Nicky. It was...well, she wasn't where I got my love of cooking from, put it that way. It was bright pink - hideously so - covered in icing that virtually glowed in the dark and had set hard. Anyway, I can't remember exactly what happened, but there was some huge fight between Mum and whoever she was with at the time, and, upshot was, birthday cake didn't get eaten that night. The next morning, when I got up, the cake was still there, on the worktop in the kitchen...and in the top of it was a little hole, almost like someone had put their finger in it.

Nicky came down, and she wanted breakfast, so, in a manner Sherlock would've been proud of, all us kids decided we'd have cake for breakfast.

So I cut a big slice out of it...and it was hollow. Except for a very fat, very dead, mouse. It'd eaten it's way in, eaten the cake, and couldn't get out again, I assume. Probably died of a sugar overdose. Nicky cried. both for the cake and the mouse. We took it outside and buried it.

REReader said...

....Awwww. (And I mean that without irony. That is sad.)

Joolz said...

How were the taralli, Sherlock, did you enjoy them and did you leave any for John and Lestrade or were they all gone. ;)

The table stands as follows after only one game today:

Small Hobbit - 20
Joolz, Lancs Anon - 19
John, Pandabob - 18
Nameless - 17
Greg, Piplover - 16
Sherlock - 10
REReader - 9
KT - 5

The predictions for tomorrow are:

Italy v Canada
Joolz 25-20, Small Hobbit 18-14, Lancs Anon 24-5, Greg 24-20, Sherlock 20-20, John 28-18, Nameless 21-17, Pandabob 24-3, Piplover 20-15, KT 30-27, REReader 15-23

South Africa v Samoa
Joolz 19-23, Small Hobbit 23-13, Lancs Anon 23-41, Greg 30-33, Sherlock 25-15, John 42-18, Nameless 19-12, Pandabob 16-14, Piplover 30-20, KT 36-31, REReader 22-15

England v Wales
Joolz 28-26, Small Hobbit 10-21, Lancs Anon 23-27, Greg 24-28, Sherlock 20-10, John 32-18, Nameless 33-29, Pandabob 32-35, Piplover 15-13, KT13-15 , REReader 25-22

Best of luck to them and us. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

I want to change my SA vs S prediction - I didn't know the Blossoms were going to make the Boks so angry! I fear for the lives of Samoa.

Nicky said...

I can't believe you told everyone I cried!

And you didn't bake me a new cake.

John H. D. Watson said...

Crying over a dead mouse cake is perfectly reasonable.

Greg Lestrade said...

If Sherlock were to get a surprise dead mouse in his birthday cake he'd think that made it better. As long as it left a bit of cake for him.

I'll bake you a cake, Nicky. It may be dead-mouse-shaped though.

John H. D. Watson said...

I hope it's red velvet cake inside.

Greg Lestrade said...

you're cleaning the cat if she gets dyed red again.

John H. D. Watson said...

Let's just leave her pink.

Greg Lestrade said...

She may slowly dye your hair pink too, as she wraps herself around your head each night.

John H. D. Watson said...

I'll wear a shower cap.

Greg Lestrade said...

Once upon a time I'd just go to bed with my lovely husband...now I may end up going to bed with him, wearing a shower cap, attached to a pink cat... if our boys have anything to do it with it Maf will probably also be glow in the dark and sparkly.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling better Becca!

And thanks for the explanation RR!

Waste not want not when it comes to wine! (I'm about to drink some that was a sore disappointment, but not terrible enough to waste.)

I think as long as the food coloring stays off the floor, Maf is safe. Beets are not involved in red velvet cake, as far as I know.

(If you find young Greg, look around for young fA - I miss the way my body could take short term abuse.)

-fA

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm free. Im off work for at least a day! I'm almost on top of the paperwor

pandabob said...

Off work for a day, lucky you being spoilt with all this free time ;-)

I hope the evening is bringing relaxation :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

relaxing?? You obviously haven't been watching England vs Wales! Jeeeez. And i was only 1 point off!!!

pandabob said...

Sadly (or probably luckily) I missed it! Time to find something (someone) to cheer you up now ;-)

Small Hobbit said...

Hi folks! I'm back from holiday and missed all the excitement of leading the rugby table, which will no doubt stop now I'm home ;) And WALES!

Glad to hear you had a brilliant birthday, Sherlock.

Good luck with the secondment, Greg.

Hope your ankle starts to improve soon, Becca.

«Oldest ‹Older   1 – 200 of 202   Newer› Newest»

Post a Comment