Mycroft and Mrs Holmes stayed back at the house yesterday, and L and Sherlock and I headed down the beach to explore. Sherlock had a plastic bucket and war paint sunblock, L had his film star tan and smug grin, and I had a pounding headache, L's sunglasses, and occasionally a towel draped over my head. I honestly did not have that many mojitos. They're deceptive. And I'm out of practice.
We walked quite a long way, built a series of quickly abandoned sand castles along the beach, which were misshapen lumps by the time we passed them again, picked up shells and bits of seaweed, watched while Sherlock poked at things in tide pools. I stuck my head in the sea every now and then. It helped a bit.
There was no ice cream, but we did get cold drinks near the surfing school, and looked at, but did not ride, the horses. Sherlock and L wanted to try surfing, and I wanted to lie very still, so they went off for a while. I floated peacefully in the water...until Sherlock was boosted without warning onto my stomach and L ducked down to bite my bum again. It was a well coordinated assault that nearly ended with L's sunglasses at the bottom of the sea.
Sherlock can really swim now. I'm not sure when he went from splashing and paddling to diving and cutting through the water like a tiny eel (that's a moray...), but he's really quite good now. We'll have to find somewhere indoors to take him this winter.
On the way back, Sherlock was pretending to be a bull and charge Lestrade, which led to L wearing Sherlock's bucket on his head, standing on a rock and singing that Toreador song. He doesn't think I have pictures, but I do.
We walked quite a long way, built a series of quickly abandoned sand castles along the beach, which were misshapen lumps by the time we passed them again, picked up shells and bits of seaweed, watched while Sherlock poked at things in tide pools. I stuck my head in the sea every now and then. It helped a bit.
There was no ice cream, but we did get cold drinks near the surfing school, and looked at, but did not ride, the horses. Sherlock and L wanted to try surfing, and I wanted to lie very still, so they went off for a while. I floated peacefully in the water...until Sherlock was boosted without warning onto my stomach and L ducked down to bite my bum again. It was a well coordinated assault that nearly ended with L's sunglasses at the bottom of the sea.
Sherlock can really swim now. I'm not sure when he went from splashing and paddling to diving and cutting through the water like a tiny eel (that's a moray...), but he's really quite good now. We'll have to find somewhere indoors to take him this winter.
On the way back, Sherlock was pretending to be a bull and charge Lestrade, which led to L wearing Sherlock's bucket on his head, standing on a rock and singing that Toreador song. He doesn't think I have pictures, but I do.
19 comments:
He is a very good swimmer. And I'm sure the attack was all his idea.
You looked like a film star too, all touseled and with my sunglasses, towel on your head to avoid the paparazzi.
Sounds like a perfect day for everyone. Are there big plans for today?
Doc, I hope you realise you will have to hold both children's hands very firmly on your return trip or they will be running off causing all sorts of havoc.
I'm surprised that Lestrade and Sherlock survived the surprise attack so unscathed. I would have expected retribution on the scale of "throwing the Doc in the pool in his jumper"... although I suppose you were in a slightly weakened state :-p
At least you got some decent blackmail material :-)
He doesn't think I have pictures, but I do.
Any video? Video of that would be priceless... :D
Pictures are always useful even if you're never actually going to share them ;-)
I hope you're having fun in the Sun :-)
Nameless - in the end they always make me laugh too much to properly retaliate. It's deeply unfair.
DW - we've been to see some ruins, but nothing really big. Just wandering about.
SH - I was mildly surprised L wasn't involved in the melon incident, to be honest.
Well, as if I'd have anything to do with melons.
I can trust John not to use the blackmail material. He knows I wouldn't care that much anyway.
I'll just show it to Nicky.
She's seen SO much worse :)
Ha, I have no doubt.
So did my brother actually pose for you in hot pink bra and pants? Because if so, you may just have blackmail material.
Otherwise, he used to seem remarkably unbothered by what other people thought, which made it very hard to hold anything over him. Although I think a lot of that was put-on.
Sounds like you've all had a great time, anyway. I'm glad you got a chance to relax.
No, I'm pretty sure Anthea would actually have killed him. Also I don't believe she owns anything hot pink.
Thanks, it really has been a great holiday. I hope all of you are doing all right, too.
Yeah, we are. I've almost stopped glaring at people in Sainsbury's and looking like some sort of paranoid crazy person, when I think someone in the street is acting oddly.
I think the kids are bored of us trying to control them though. Understandably.
Yeah, I can imagine. I'm really sorry you're mixed up in this.
Well, I can't say I ever expected anything like this to happen, but believe me, I'd rather Gregory was with you and the boys and getting mixed up in things like this than be with anyone else.
The change in him since he met you all has been really amazing.
Take care all of you, especially once you're back here.
You take care too, Nicks. Keep being paranoid. Tell the kids to just be sensible, even if it does drive them a bit wild.
I hope you've had a nice day John, you to Greg.
This holiday seems to have done you both the world of good and it has been lovely to see you both so relaxed and having so much fun. I know that life can't be like holidays all the time and that you have a not good situation to sort out somehow when you get back but I hope that relaxed and happy memories can help you both to face the stresses of life at home with a wider smile :-)
Nicky - as sisters go I think Greg is very lucky to have you :-) I hope your short people (I know they aren't that short really) find being back at school interesting enough not to get too annoyed about your neccessary monitoring of them until this is all sorted :-)
Anonybob
And let us know if there's anything we can do to make things easier.
Post a Comment