Saturday, December 21, 2013

adopt a skull

I'm at an unpleasantly damp crime scene. Someone's just shown me this link where you can adopt a skull. They all have info about them written right on them and you can pick which one you want from a catalogue. My first thought was a Christmas present for Sherlock, but, well, it's a lot of money, and we've already got him...a few things. Possibly more than we should. But if you're shopping for anyone who would like a skull, this is your lucky day.

Contrary to L's advice, I have now been vomited on, punched (only a bit, I'm fine), and felt up, but I think I get to go home soon. At least unless I get another call before that happens. It's been an intense night so far. Very glad I got to go home and get the medal Sherlock made for me though. Several people asked me if I know I've got glitter on my shirt. Obviously the answer was yes (medal is at home for safe keeping).

75 comments:

Joolz said...

Oh dear, John, hope you're ok tomorrow and not too sore from the punch, however, small it was (which I'm sure it wasn't!) and I'm sorry that the night lived up to Greg's expectations. At least you'll have the weekend off as a family to recover so that'll be nice and you can go home and admire your excellently made medal for services well done. You might even get a lovely breakfast in bed for your troubles. Enjoy your weekend. ;)

John H. D. Watson said...

Thanks. Home at last. Found L on the sofa, napping. Just getting us both to bed, hopefully for the last time. Goodnight!

tresta said...

SO which part was for science? The skull? Or the vomit? ;-)Sleep tight; I hope you won't be called out again tonight.

Greg Lestrade said...

He is mainly okay. And still here, thankfully, as the weather is completely horrible.

People who know him realise being glittery is an in curable situation, around here...

rsf said...

Sherlock ensures shineyness.

Glad you're home safe, John.

Greg Lestrade said...

definitely the sort of night I wish John didn't have a job like that.

Sherlock said...

We decorated the Christmas cakes and I helped and I made a snowman out of icing and everything.

Anonymous said...

That sounds fun, Sherlock. I assume the snowman is two-dimensional, flat on the cake, and not an upright frosting snowman sculpture?

Also, I meant to say this the other night but I forgot--I've noticed lately that your writing in the comments has gotten better, especially your punctuation. I don't know if it's something you've been working on specifically, or if you're like me and learn how to write because you read a lot, but good job, either way.

Ella

Sherlock said...

no it's a real one not flat.

Thank you. Mrs N said I should slow down and try to remember that putting in full stops and things helps people to read what I mean better, but sometimes I forget.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, even more brilliant on making a real one. :)

And we all forget. And when you're very excited, forgetting punctuation or using many capitals can actually help convey that (because I read it as if it was coming out of you very fast and loud). So that's an instance where doing something "wrong" can actually work in your favor towards being better understood. But Mrs N is right that most of the time, full stops and things are helpful.

Ella

Greg Lestrade said...

Most things do come out of him very fast and loud ;)

Anonymous said...

Touche, Lestrade. :)

Ella

Greg Lestrade said...

He is currently wearing all the tinsel we haven't put up, reading a book. Begging for a mince pie, as if he might somehow perish overnight if he doesn't have one.

Anonymous said...

Possible perishment from denial of pie? That's just not the sort of thing you leave to chance. ;)

Ella

Greg Lestrade said...

We've taken the chance. I will report on his survival (or not) in the morning.

Until then, I shall pick bits of hay and paper out of the sofa, and brush up the degu-dust that seems to be everywhere...

REReader said...

How intrepid! ;D

It sounds like you had a very good rainy-weather day, what with the cake decorating and cozy-sounding debris. :)

(And the medal-and-crown sounds just perfect, John--excellent, Sherlock!)

Greg Lestrade said...

It certainly didn't tempt us out to face the cold, wet and crowds. Yuck.

John sadly didn't wear his crown all day today, although he did wear it for breakfast in bed this morning.

John H. D. Watson said...

I'll put it on when I need to command my subjects...

REReader said...

Much the best time for wearing crowns!

(I try to stay out of anywhere there are crowds this time of year. People get vicious if they think someone might come between them and a bargain!)

Greg Lestrade said...

Sherlock was originally going to make some sort of mace/sceptre too. But we didn't have anything suitable.

REReader said...

Maybe for John's birthday...

John H. D. Watson said...

Definitely a mace. Or a morning star. That's the one that's a spiky ball on a chain? So I can terrify my enemies with panache. And glitter.

Anonymous said...

Scientific discovery is not without risks. I wish you well in your endeavors. ;)

Ella

Anonymous said...

I feel like if I had a morning star (or a pair of nunchukus), the first and possibly only thing I'd do is bash myself in the face while swinging it around.

Ella

REReader said...

Panache takes practice.

Anonymous said...

And I just got word that Claire Davis, who got shot at school in Littleton, CO, just died. I know she's far from the only person to get shot and killed this year, and I know her family's not the only one dealing with a loss so close to Christmas, but still, that's hard to hear. Close to home I guess. Ugh.

Ella

tresta said...

Sherlock, I have been impressed by how much you are baking and what wonderful things you are making. Do you enjoy the process of baking or do you like the results best?

I am curious what is in a mince pie; that is not something I've been exposed to.

Good job taking such good care of John and letting him know he's important.

Sherlock said...

I like doing it if it's a fun sort of baking like mince pies are good because I can roll out the pastry and cut it out with a cutter and help put the mince in it's boring when Lestrade has to do loads of it.

Mince pies are pastry with pastry tops too and they have mincemeat in them BUT that doesn't have any meat in it now. It used to but now it's just fruit and peel and sugar and sometimes alcohol and it's sweet and nice before it was minced meat as well in it with the spices and fruit but that doesn't sound very nice.

John is very important and I'm tidying my room now because he said Father Christmas would know if I didn't and not want to bring me presents and although that's stupid because he doesn't exist John and Lestrade still pretend he does and if they know my room is messy they still might not bring me presents so I'm doing it. Then John said we could walk the dogs and get hot chocolate in the park.

REReader said...

Now, that is very interesting about mincemeat pies containing meat in the past, Sherlock; I thought the "meat" in the name came from the old meaning of "meat" being "food" (like in "sweetmeats" meaning candy), with nothing to do with chopped meat at all. I have to agree that it sounds nicer your way! (And that doing lots yourself is more fun than watching someone else--except when it's learning how to do something new. :))

Have fun in the park and enjoy the hot chocolate!

tresta said...

Thanks Sherlock! Mince pie does sound very good; I think I will have to try one now. Thanks for settling the meat question; I admit I was wondering about that! :-)

Did the dogs' mince pies have real meat in them?

Good job with tidying your room and I hope you enjoy your walk in the park. It has been really cold at my home the last couple of days and I think the hot chocolate sounds great. We had rain the night before last, so I have little icicles over my door and ice frozen on all the trees and shrubs but no ice on the ground. Still it's cold for us - about 0 degrees C during the day, and it gets down to -8C at night.

Do the dogs and your degus pay attention to your Christmas decorations in the flat? My kitty is young and she has been very curious about my decorations.

Sherlock said...

I think Lestrade said some of them still have animal fat in them but not real meat but you need to read the label on the jar but it's nice and you should definitely try some.

The dogs' ones had dog treats in them yes and gravy.

It's been really wet and rainy here but today is sunny even though it's cold I really want snow though.

The dogs knock lots of baubles off the tree by wagging their tails or walking by and the degus like climbing the tree but John says they can't because last time one got stuck and it took ages to get her out. We can't put any chocolates on the tree either because the dogs try to eat them.

I want to make a yule log but John says we might have to wait until Christmas eve when Lestrade has time.

REReader said...

A Yule log--is that the kind of cake that's like a jelly roll but with chocolate instead of jelly, decorated to look like a log? They look amazing!

Sherlock said...

Yes it's a rolled up cake that can have jam or cream or more chocolate icing inside that looks like a log and you make it look like bark and you can put icing sugar on top like snow and I really want to make one

REReader said...

That sounds like lots of fun to make and even more fun to eat! I hope there's time on Christmas Eve for it. (I would pick cream filling. :))

Do you have all your holiday gift shopping done?

Greg Lestrade said...

Promise we'll have a go at making one, kiddo. Well done for doing your room. I'll try and get back before bedtime.

Sherlock said...

Yes come home soon.

John says we just have to get one or two more things and I want a cuttlefish that's all.

REReader said...

... For dinner or for Christmas? (Because I think they may be too big to keep in a tank that could fit in a flat.)

Greg Lestrade said...

He probably means as a Christmas present for the goos. Unless he wants another pet...

REReader said...

Ah, got it. It does seem to be something degus enjoy!

rsf said...

When I was growing up a yule log was the piece of wood we put our advent candles in during advent and then burned on Christmas eve. Except we saved the end of it to start the fire for the next Christmas eve. Your kind sounds tastier.

Greg Lestrade said...

I imagine that's how it started - much like easter eggs. Everything's made better when created from chocolate?

How're you doing, Danger? Sherlock dragged you on any wild adventures?

REReader said...

Everything's made better when created from chocolate?

Most things, anyway! :)

John H. D. Watson said...

Only if you count going to look at Christmas lights, which might be considered wild given the mass of people out shopping.

Greg Lestrade said...

yeah, pretty wild.

I like the ones down Knightsbridge best. The ones that look like little explosions of light.

John H. D. Watson said...

I'm sure we'll get there. We seem to be doing the full tour. How are you doing?

Greg Lestrade said...

Fine. Did a bit of clearing out, then went to see Mum. Now back doing some more.

She asked where you were. We managed to have a stupid argument. Same old.

John H. D. Watson said...

I'm sorry, love.

Greg Lestrade said...

it's fine. We made up again, much as we ever do. The place is nice. Quite modern, but not too soulless. She's got a nice room, looks over the garden. It's all decked out for Christmas. I think she's got a few people there she talks to. Staff seem okay.

REReader said...

I'm sorry you've been having a rough day, L. It does sound promising that your mother's starting to make friends, that might make her happier in the long term.

A Christmas lights tour sounds lovely, crowds notwithstanding. Are you having fun, Sherlock? (And how about you, John? :))

John H. D. Watson said...

L - well, that's good. Could certainly be worse, at least. I hope she's adjusting all right. It can't be easy for her (or you).

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah. She looks better, anyway. At least we know she's eating, has people to keep an eye on her.

She's spending some of Christmas at Nicky's, too.

Hope you found somewhere calmer and warmer when your lights tour was over.

Greg Lestrade said...

Just getting some food and coffee at Nicky's, then I'll be heading back.

John H. D. Watson said...

All right. Miss you.

Greg Lestrade said...

Miss you all too.

Sorry, this week's going to be a bit crap in terms of seeing you nearly enough.

John H. D. Watson said...

It'll be over soon enough, and it'll be nice to have you home for New Year's.

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah.

Sherlock told me this morning that Christmas Eve will be great, too. Told me very seriously, while blowing bubbles in his milk. And somehow sneakily dropping a whole mince pie into the glass.

John H. D. Watson said...

Ha. Well, I suppose they are better with milk...

Sherlock said...

it fell in by accident!

Nicky said...

Orio should be well on his way back to you now, John, Mycroft and Sherlock. Thank you for letting us borrow him for the day.

Sherlock said...

Did your mum keep the things from when you were really young and did you find any today? And John says he hopes it wasn't too hard on you both.

Nicky said...

She didn't keep a lot, Sherlock, no. There were lots of us, and not much space. And after we had the fire, there wasn't a lot of things left from when we were really little.

We found some photographs of all the family from when Greg was probably about 13, and I was just starting secondary school. I'm not sure if Mum will want to keep them or not, but for now I'll keep them in a box.

John's very kind. I'm glad that Orio has seen Mum's new home, at least. I know he's been worried about her making new friends, because we all know how hard that is, don't we? Especially when you don't even know if you have something in common with the people you'll be with.

I'm glad that you had a good day. Did you get your cuttlefish?

Sherlock said...

Yes it is hard. It must be like Mycroft going away to school with loads of people he doesn't know and some of them aren't very nice.

Yes we got one! It's WHOLE and it has the beak in. I'm going to keep it. The beak, not the cuttlefish.

Nicky said...

Wow, whole as in...with the slimy bits? What will you do with the beak?

Is it for your degus? Orio said it's good for their teeth or something.

How's John doing at calling him Greg around the house? Does he manage it, or does he forget a lot?

Sherlock said...

I don't know, it is good for their teeth but it would be interesting to keep it too but I suppose we could get another and anyway it might not be as interesting when we get it out.

He forgets a lot still but not as much as he used to and then Lestrade says "no it's hyphenated now get it right" and then they both laugh even though it's not a very good joke.

Anonymous said...

Lestrade:
I'm sorry. :-( I hope you feel better now that you are at home. I can empathize still; I spent time with my family yesterday and it was rather difficult. I just feel emotionally battered when it's all over. I never feel very safe or comfortable and I am always wary of saying too much, or sharing what I really feel because that just gets me in trouble. Even when what I have to say is not negative; they just don't make any effort to really see me as a separate person or to understand my feelings about anything.

There are very few people that I've ever confided in, and it always makes me feel worse to have someone say "They love you they just don't show it well" or things of that nature. That isn't how it feels at all and in my mind, it isn't what love is at all. Loving children isn't the same as owning or controlling them.

You and John are impressive examples of good parenting, and it seems that neither of you had the best examples of that. It's lovely to see how you for all take care of each other; all six when you mix in the Dogs of War.

I am glad that you are home now, with John and the boys and I hope that you can relax tonight.

First Anon

Kestrel337 said...

It might not be a strictly funny joke, but it sounds like the sort of joke that reminds them how happy they are, which is a good reason to laugh.

I'd never thought about giving cuttlebones (that's what we call them here) to small furries. My birds love them, though.

And thanks for the clarification on mince pies. I could never decide if I was brave enough to eat them, and that last times I've asked what's in them people have acted like I'm an idiot for not knowing. They sound good.

tresta said...

L:
Here's a song for you and John. "You've Got What I Need" Joshua Radin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc8lSwYE2A8

tresta said...

Here is the studio performance of the song; I figured you'd enjoy the live acoustic version, though. The studio version is available through iTunes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc8lSwYE2A8

ro said...

Sherlock, I saw this on the way to work and I thought you might appreciate it! And you can't see in this picture, but there's a rubber bat hanging from the left handlebar - I make it bounce around every morning when I walk past :D

And I found some gluten free mince pies, so now I'm going to eat one with my coffee, even though it's not even 9am.

REReader said...

Sherlock, did you have a favorite of the lights you and John toured today? (Mycroft, did you go along?)

Greg Lestrade said...

Just home, thanks everyone. Going to dry off and get the boy wonder to bed then might do a blog.

tresta said...

John, hope you're okay. I am guessing you just really have your hands full with Sherlock and Christmas but I wanted to check on you. Are you having to work lots right now?

John H. D. Watson said...

Tresta - doing pretty well, thanks. It's always a job keeping Sherlock entertained when he's out of school, but I enjoy it. It's never boring.

tresta said...

John said:
It's never boring.

I am sure of that! Sherlock is a very special boy and just the kind I would enjoy spending time with. I love his sweetness, and his thought process, and his questions.

Mycroft, I hope you are keeping well and enjoying your break from school. My great love of reading is something I have in common with you, I think, and I imagine you tucked away with Phobos and Deimos
and your book friends at least part of the time.

Have a wonderful Christmas all nine of you (family, dogs, degus and Mrs. Hudson)!

tresta said...

No idea why Blogger split my sentence like that...

Post a Comment