And here is the terribly impressive yule log cake:
Not quite as alcoholic as the background suggests. Probably.
And I think I hear Murray stirring, which means that I might be able to leave the boys with him and Mrs. Hudson and sneak off to visit L for a bit... I fully expect Mycroft to have won all his worldly possessions by the time I get back. He's honestly a little terrifying, and Sherlock's learning fast.
Merry Christmas, everyone, and I hope you're having a good day whether you celebrate it or not.

87 comments:
Never have I been so happy to hear Murray is stirring...
I shall save you a sausage and a couple of peanuts.
That is a brilliant way for a hospital to put up tinsel.
And that is a truly impressive Yule log!
Have a happy day, all, whatever holiday you are or are not celebrating! :)
L - he's semi conscious and I"m on my way :)
I shall ensure no one has need of a homicide DI for the next hour at least...
Great photo :-)
Murray - thanks for your work being one of the people who look after us at Christmas. I hope your card-playing tormentors take your public service into account and don't rob you blind :-p
We're watching the Muppets because even though it's for kids Murray and Mrs Hudson said we should and it's quite funny actually and I'm doing a picture and I think in a minute I could eat another roast potato or maybe some chocolate.
I agree with you about the Muppets, Sherlock--I quite enjoy them myself! And I take it that this dinner was every bit as nice as yesterday's, then. :)
Yes it was good and John's back now too and Murray's given him some beer and said a bad word about us playing cards. I tried Sherry and it's horrible but I had brandy butter and that's got brandy in it and that was nice.
Sherry IS pretty nasty to my taste, although some people like it quite well. To each his own, I say! (But I wouldn't be drinking it even if I weren't allergic to alcohol. :))
I had to look up brandy butter--it seems it has quite a lot of sugar in it, as well as butter and brandy, so that probably helps with the alcohol bite. What did you put it on? Or did you just taste it by itself?
Sherry is definitely an acquired taste, Sherlock. On the other hand, sneaking a leftover roastie every time you go near the kitchen is a long-established Christmas tradition :-)
What's the picture you're doing?
not long to go now. Leave me some spuds, Sherlock!
There are roast potatoes awaiting you, secure in a hidden location, Lestrade.
Away from Sherlock, John and Murray, who have all conspired to form a sustained attack on the ones left in the kitchen.
That's a compliment, Mycroft!
Yesss come home soon for presents!! Has anyone else been murdered?
To quote Sherlock, hurry upppppppp ;)
It's lovely to be wanted, isn't it? :-)
No murders, just some other crimes. And I will head home very soon.
Sherlock, was it the Muppet Christmas Carol?
http://www.amazon.com/Muppet-Christmas-Carol-Michael-Caine/dp/B000ATQYT2
I saw that last year and was a little surprised by how much I enjoyed it! Good job Murray and Mrs. Hudson for suggesting it. My best friend (the one who goes away for Christmas) has a whole collection of Christmas movies and we've started watching one each year, with dinner and treats, as our Christmas together before he has to go.
If it was a regular episode (or episodes) of the Muppet Show that you watched, that's still good! I haven't seen it for years but I remember it being a show that is on several levels so that adults, kids, and very grown up kids like you all enjoy it!
Don't think I've ever tried Sherry. Oddly enough I recently had a dream in which I was drinking brandy, which I also have also never tried. After I was grown, and got to have Christmas each year with my two nephews and brother and sister in law and my parents, the grownups would always drink mimosas on Christmas morning. Those are champagne and orange juice and they are very nice!
Looking at the time, John must be home very soon if he is not already! Will you all wait and open presents with Lestrade when he gets home?
If so, good job you for waiting! It is very hard, isn't it? My cousins and I used to have a hard time waiting until dinner was over and the adults were always taking sooo long! :-) So in comparison you have done very well. You are getting so grown up!
BTW what are the furry family members up to? Hope the degus enjoyed the presents you got them!
I'm leaving, Kiddo, be with you soon.
It is lovely to be home.
Thinking of everyone now on shift, or - even worse - retained. Not just police, but everyone from midwives to RNLI!
I brought home my reindeer antlers, in the hope I won't be forced to wear a paper hat....
I should think reindeer antlers would make an acceptable substitute--so long as presents are in the offing, anyway!
Whee! Presents! Did you get some potatoes, too L? One of my favorite veggies!
I have a paper hat on each antler, because of my last comment...
I got potatoes! And those little breaded baked cheeses - heaven!! As well as cold meat and veg. All delicious. We are ankle deep in wrapping paper, the degus have had to go back in their cage or we'd lose them.
So what did Mrs H make for you, L? And what special presents did everyone get?
Greg Lestrade said..
I have a paper hat on each antler, because of my last comment...
Hah!
Argon and Mercury must be having a blast, but yes; tiny fast moving mammals in a big pile... I'd be worried about losing them too. I am surprised the dogs aren't joining them, TBH. Or maybe dogs aren't as into paper and crackly noises as cats are? Most cats can't resist paper of any kind especially if it makes noise.
I am on my own today; trying to think of something special I might do. I have been thinking of movies; can anyone suggest a good Christmas movie, or one they especially like? There are many classics I haven't seen yet.
And a blogger question: Can someone tell me how to do quotations on blogger comments? Some of you do and I worry that it might not be clear when I'm quoting as I haven't worked that out.
Tresta, if you like, you can mark quotes by putting them in italics; you do that by putting an [i] before and and [/i] after the quote, only use angled brackets instead of square brackets. Or you could put a slash mark before and after, if the code worries you (or takes too long, which it can do on a phone). ...Sorry, no movie recommendations on hand!
The dogs just wade through occasionally, sniffing things.
Quotes, yeah < i> like that but with no space < /i> but don't worry, it's clear enough!
My lovely husband has given me a photo book, with pictures from just about every major thing we've done together since we met... he's even got one from the house on the moor, I don't know how! It's amazing.
That is a truly wonderful gift, one you'll treasure forever!
My daughter played Santa in the ward last night and had to ensure that the teddies had to have their heads out of the sacks so the babies could see them. She said it was quite a challenge to creep into the bays without waking either children or parents.
Mrs Hudson knitted me some...truly magnificent socks, which are really more of a gift to John... and a jumper with a large snowflake on it. Which is...well, it's subtle, compared to John's jumpers.
Socks are hard! And the sweater sounds quite restrained--you could wear it all winter!
(I find them hard to knit, anyway. My compliments, Mrs H, I've given up trying to master 'em!)
Any specials gifts you'd like to tell us about, Sherlock, Mycroft--and/or Mrs H and Murray? (Or anyone else who's there?)
That sounds like a very nice jumper, L. Understated, as Christmas jumpers go! And I always think well made hand knitted jumpers are lovely. Just like handmade quilts, they have a certain quality that can't be replicated.
I am a novice knitter but I have made some placemats and have just mastered the two basic stitches. Hats are next in difficulty, then socks and finally jumpers. I hope to get to the jumpers someday; there are some I'd love to make.
Thanks RR and L who answered the blogger question for me! I appreciate that.
All Sherlock's considerable energies are currently going into persuading us he should stay up late...
I'm knackered! I might end up in bed before him!
Regarding clothes and patterns:
L, I think you are just a classic sort of man. If you are familiar with Jackie Kennedy Onassis, who was the wife of US President John F. Kennedy... she was known for her style, and she wore nothing but solid colors. She was always classy and always in style. :-)
Mycroft would likely say the flip flops are problematic; are they a solid color at least? For some reason I think they're khaki!
L: Hee! I meant to ask if he was angling to stay up late tonight. I can't imagine that kind of energy; if you and John figure out how to bottle it AND you decide to share with the world, put me on the list, please!
I hope you can get to sleep at a good time tonight.
I prefer mostly solid colours. Apart from shirts. I don't mind a bit of pattern on my shirts.
My flip flops are a browny colour, with orange flashes...
Sherlock is finally on his way to bed.
Today has...had it's up and downs. But at least it ends on a high.
The amount of time one has to sleep never does seem to match up with the amount of time one wants to sleep, does it?
I hope the downs were few and all work-related and mostly resolved.
Have a lovely rest of the evening and to all a good night! :)
Lestrade and John are almost dying of laughter on the sofa, as they are watching Father Ted and a scene has just included a character covered in glitter from attempting to complete some sort of craft.
REReader, part of Lestrade's bad news is that all leave has been cancelled for the New Year celebrations. It may yet be re-instated, but he isn't very happy about it.
Thank you, Mycroft. That's...yeah, not good. Plus everyone at work will be rightfully bad-tempered about it all week. I certainly hope that doesn't stick.
Did you enjoy your Christmas--and did you like your gifts? Your meal sounds to have been a rousing success, congratulations on that!
Thank you.
I enjoyed both days very much.
Lestrade and John bought me my own knife set and a chopping board like this one. But mine is made from bamboo.
Lestrade often tells me I'm being too precise, whereas John frequently thinks I'm not following the recipe closely enough, so this should satisfy everyone.
I understand that professional chefs never travel without their own set of knives, proper knives are so important, so it seems a most apropos gift! And I love the cutting board--it's very like the sort of cutting mats and boards graphic artists use! (Of course, they are used less nowadays, what with the increasing use of computers.)
Mycroft, I imagine you won't see this till tomorrow (Happy Boxing Day btw), but I wanted to add my congrats on your Christmas meal! Among other things, I am sure it was a great present for your family for you to put on your chef's hat for the day. I hope you enjoy your new knives and get a lot of use from them. Did you get what you need to sharpen them as well?
I have two nephews; the older one is your age, and he enjoys cooking a lot. He started contributing to big dinners (like Thanksgiving and Christmas) when he was 11 or so. Now he's able to do a lot more. He's had some good cooks to learn from too (my mom and my brother, his dad) as you have learned from Lestrade.
I wish you the best and home you get great joy from the rest of your time home. Also meant to suggest Ender's Game as a book you might like (it's actually a series of five but that title is the first). I am not sure what you like to read, but I got the first book for Cole last year and he really enjoyed it.
Yeah, 'not very happy' is a bit of an understatement.
So sorry Lestrade.:-( Wish I could do something for you.
Well, like Mycroft says, there's a small chance the strike could be called off and leave reinstated. I won't get my hopes up, but...there is a chance.
I will keep you in my thoughts, then. I really hope the leave is reinstated. Although I can't relate to the exact situation, I went through some terrible things at work in the last couple of years - became a kind of scapegoat. So I can relate in general to unfairness, frustration and climbing pressure in the work environment. I am not there anymore but that pressure became enormous for me. So I do empathize with you even without the same experience you're having.
I hope you are having an okay day today. Was Sherlock full of energy this morning? I am assuming you have to work but I hope it goes okay.
Yeah, 'not very happy' is a bit of an understatement.
Perhaps Anthea has given Mycroft a few espionage lessons? I understand that profession goes for the understatement. :-)
Pardon my probably very American question, but is Mycroft allowed to have professional knives at school? The "no tolerance" policy here for weapons in schools is fairly universal, and the punishment is always pretty dire.
Merry Christmas everybody, and I hope you get your leave back, lestrade.
Ella
Mycroft naturally goes for understatement, regardless of espionage!
Ella - yeah, he can't take them to school, although they can go to Anthea's. He doesn't have a kitchen or anything at school anyway. We'll have to see when he goes into 6th form, if he gets more freedom in that way.
Boxing Day shoppers... never mind a guy's been murdered, don't let me get in the way of your shopping, yeah? Jesus.
Boxing Day shoppers... never mind a guy's been murdered, don't let me get in the way of your shopping, yeah? Jesus.
From what I've heard from friends who work retail and who have had customers have medical scares, or pipes burst, or fires start in stores...this is not an uncommon mindset, even on non-boxing days.
Ella
I'm so sorry to hear your New Year's leave is cancelled, Lestrade. I can understand why the civilian staff are going on strike, but it's an inevitability that the employer is going to pass on the disruption and inconvenience to their other employees. Hopefully they can get back round the negotiating table over the next few days.
I understand completely why they're on strike - and support them in wanting a fairer pay rise. We couldn't do our jobs without them, and anyone who doesn't think they earn it should try doing a shift answering 999 calls or working on a harrowing case. And while I think 6% is a bit unrealistic, I think 1% is an insult.
I'm just feeling sorry for myself. Was looking forward to spending New Years with John and the boys, not breaking up drunken brawls and dealing with drug overdoses.
I think you're fully entitled to feel sorry for yourself under the circumstances. It's perfectly reasonable to expect to take New Year's off if you work Christmas. I hope they get back to negotiating so that the strike doesn't happen.
never mind a guy's been murdered, don't let me get in the way of your shopping,
But L! The dead guy will still be there tomorrow, but the bargains won't! (Which attitude is why I try to stay away from ALL in store sales no matter how much I might save.)
I see we haven't heard anything from the boys at home--I hope the three of you having a good day with your Christmas gifts! :) Is Murray still there?
Yeah, there was talk of long walks and all sorts. Good luck to John with three kids to look after ;)
Danger, boys, I'll be a bit late. But I am definitely off for the next two days, so feel free to plan things :)
Heh, heh. I hope fun was had, one way or another, by all! :)
Have interesting plans been made for the next two days?
They seem pretty happy, and worn out. Murray has gone to his Mum's, with a vague threat to return for New Year's... Sherlock is almost asleep.
I have eaten Christmas Pud, and promised Sherlock we'll make another yule log, and been forced to wear my new socks by my husband.
They're lovely socks. I'm going to take pictures of you wearing them for volume two of the photo book. And the snowflake jumper.
They are very fine socks. But I'm afraid they don't sway me towards liking socks.
I'm assuming the dogs took you all on some sort of massive walk. Did you go and see floods? I know Sherlock wanted to.
"Worn out" is a sign of a successful outing. *nods*
Do the socks match the jumper? :)
I think we saw most of the city, including floods, yes. And something dead and soggy that Phobos tried to roll in.
socks and jumpers are both dark, that's about as matching as they get.
Danger - I'm not surprised, they must miss rolling in dead things. Maybe they should come to work with me.
I think they'd probably enjoy that...far too much.
AT least they'd keep the shoppers away from my crime scenes.
Might be that I have to ask Mycroft if I can borrow them soon, if budget cuts do mean we lose police dogs.
They would be excellent at that, true. Quite intimidating.
And slobbery. Although the whole 'rolling in things' might not be good for the crime scene. And I'd have to make them wear paper suits...
Little paper shoes...
...they'd just scratch it all off and cause chaos.
Got anything planned tomorrow? Or should I say....have the boys planned us anything?
Glad Murray was here for you. Wish I could have been.
You were, love. You always are, even when you're not here, if you see what I mean.
There were a lot of plans discussed, but the only consensus seemed to revolve around pancakes...
Pancakes is definitely achievable.
If I do have to work, it'd be nice knowing Murray was here, with you. Mainly as your chaperone, to prevent Mrs Hudson snogging the pants off you at midnight, obviously. ;)
Lovely sentiment, John, ans certainly the right way to look at it & now you have two whole days to spend together, so whatever happens or doesn't happen next week, you can still enjoy that.
Hope you have great fun, especially if pancakes are included. :)
Ha. I'll hold a protective degu in front of me...
I shall get a jam jar for them to sit in that you can wear around your neck, to ward off amorous landladies.
I just really miss you - all of you. Never used to mind these shifts, when I either didn't have anyone to miss, or didn't mind not being with them.
I know. We miss you too. I'll try to come and see you if you do have to work.
Thanks. I fear it'll be busy though.
Anyway, should do as Joolz says - stop thinking about what might be and enjoy being here now, right? Bed? I'm certain pancake-o'clock will be very soon...
Bed would be great, yeah. (Really, it's always pancake o'clock)
Goodnight, fellas. Sweet dreams. Tomorrow maybe Sherlock will help out with some sort of degu carrier for John to use on New Year's Eve (if L isn't there himself to perform the "hands off" part.
Sherlock might be into it if he still feels the same way about displays of affection; if his degus can stop anybody kissing anybody else then he'd likely be pleased. :-) *grin*
Sweet dreams for another hour or so anyway.... and I hope Sherlock can be convinced to let you sleep a bit longer than usual today. It does seem that he's been good about that sort of thing lately.
I think Mycroft provided some interference before it became critical that Sherlock ate a pancake, and he came and prodded us.
Today in London 'Dangerous Christmas Decorations' have shut part of Regent Street. Sadly not nearly as exciting as Sherlock imagined it would be. Just wind-damage, not a rogue Christmas-light monster devouring shoppers.
*smiling* I love Sherlock's imagination. Does he still enjoy drawing? Perhaps he'd find it fun to draw a picture of the rogue Christmas-light monster? That sounds cool!
Well done, Mycroft, re the brother wrangling. Mycroft is awesome! The whole family is made of win.
Enjoy yourself today! I hope you get to do all the things you want with your boys today.
Mycroft is awesome. And somehow managing to do all his studying as well as participate in the chaos that is this flat.
One of the dogs got itself trapped behind the tree earlier... Sometimes I wonder about them.
I would like to see a Christmas-light eating monster in action, myself...especially come mid-January and all the street decorations are still up.
What, aside from the all-important pancake making and eating, have you all been doing today? I hope it's been fun!
I'm making another yule log because Mummy said she'd come and see us tomorrow and I want her to have one but I'm doing this one and it will be better than Lestrade's one because he told me why that one wasn't so good. And I'm making loads of other things too and I want some holly.
That's a very lovely idea, to make a Yule log--and other things!--for your mum. And it's always good to benefit from experience, and very helpful of Lestrade to explain where you could improve on the first go. (Although I think the first one was fine--it looked very good indeed!--it's just thinking where it could be even better. ;))
What do you want the holly for?
(ETA: My captcha was "amzone". No comment... ;))
Post a Comment