Wednesday, May 14, 2014

adventures at the supermarket

Sherlock and I went to the supermarket today after school. We got the usual: tea, bread, eggs, bacon. Probably more chocolate than any one household should contain. We usually do the produce section last because by that time Sherlock has calmed down enough that he won't want to take every single odd fruit home with him.

I was not counting on giant watermelons.   

(No one expects the giant watermelons.)

I suppose they weren't that big, in the scheme of things, but they were certainly big enough to attract Sherlock's attention, along with the attention of every other child in the supermarket. There were a lot. Of children. There always are when we go after school, for obvious reasons. Which is why I try to go during the day, but occasionally I forget what it's like, and today was one of those days. 

 I'm glad, because if I'd gone during the day I would've missed the sight of Sherlock and five other kids of varying ages standing around the stack of watermelons and gazing in awe as if at their new god.

One of the mothers, looking particularly harried (and her child particularly sticky with some kind of purple substance on his face), told me that he would get one slice and that she was going to fill the rest with vodka and throw a party. In Antarctica.

99 comments:

Greg Lestrade said...

Can we fill ours with vodka? If we did it before Sherlock ate it, we might get 15-20 hours sleep ;)

John H. D. Watson said...

Don't think I didn't consider it!

Anonymous said...

Were the watermelons big enough for the Spanish Inquisition to hide behind? ;) (which is to say, I see what you did there)

Ella

Greg Lestrade said...

Our watermelon is big enough.

Obviously it would need to be fairly close, and the entire Spanish Inquisition a distance away...but yes.

John H. D. Watson said...

It could be a very small Spanish Inquisition.

Greg Lestrade said...

small..... far away!

Sherlock said...

can I have some more watermelon?

REReader said...

Probably more chocolate than any one household should contain.

But...but...chocolate is a STAPLE!

And there is nothing bad to say about watermelon, so long as you eat it before it goes grainy. (Is it seeded or seedless?)

Desert Wanderer said...

Did you get some of the strawberries that Radio 4 has declared to be "the best in years"?

Sherlock said...

Can we get strawberries too??

Joolz said...

Me thinks that is a debate best had with Fathers Ted and Dougal. ;)

So now that Sherlock's massive watermelon acquisition mission is completed do we get to hear the details of today's other exciting mission. Not that popping home for husbandly kissing isn't exciting enough on its own of course, but was there more to it that might be divulged. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

I've had some this year, DW - obviously not the right ones though! That's what you get for not listening to the clever radio station - they don't play enough music ;)

Anonymous said...

I cannot love this blog post enough. Not only for Inqusitions, Spanish, and a mother whose feelings I can recall, vividly; but for a perfectly drawn picture of what an ordinary hour can bring when raising young persons. Thanks, John.

fA

fA

Desert Wanderer said...

I was only listening to that station because I couldn't really get anything on, and I ended up stuck in the traffic on the M6. It has something to do with long strings of sunny days. The head of the British Berry Grower's Association or whatever seemed personally pleased that they didn't have to use greenhouses this year. Apparently the next 10 days are the days to get them. ....and now I'm craving Eaton mess.

Greg Lestrade said...

R4 has some gems - test match cricket, for a start! But I'm an R2 man, myself.

(And I think you mean Eton Mess. But yeah, now you've said it, I want to eat it too. Also - stuck on the M6? You surprise me! That wasn't the escaped chickens, was it? I heard that on the traffic.)

Desert Wanderer said...

(I do, yeah. Damn spelling always gets me. That'll have to go in the book.)

The very same M6. Didn't manage to see any chickens, though. I did think for a moment that they'd called you in to wrangle them, given your history with farm animals... I surprise you how?

Greg Lestrade said...

That might've been my special mission! (It wasn't - and my mission wasn't very special! Just going to see a case for another division. Just a helping hand. But I was very happy that it got me home to see my husband and then out in the sun on my bike!)

I just meant that it is no surprise for anyone to be stuck in traffic on the M6. Or M5. Or M25. Or M40....you get the picture ;) But that said, you surprise me in all sorts of ways, DW. All of them good.

Becca said...

And here I thought the strawberry harvest was timed with Wimbledon. Silly me.

Greg Lestrade said...

Nope, that's just when the suppliers become millionaires.

Tomorrow....I am going to make sure I get some days off with my husband soon :) Although there was something quite naughty feeling about coming home during the working day!

Joolz said...

Whether it's planned time off or sneaky illicit visits, I'm sure your husband will be hugely appreciative of any time with you, the more the better. :)

I'm sure luck won't be needed with all the work you've put in, but Good Luck with all your exams, Mycroft. I'm sure you'll be brilliant. :)

We're starting with sun here, let's hope it stays. Hope everyone has a great day. :)

Small Hobbit said...

*Waves to DW if you're still around* It's funny, when L's blog went over the 200 mark it reminded me of when we use to blog crawl with you and lo and behold you appeared.

It's sunny here too. Yep, Mycroft, best wishes with all your exams.

Greg Lestrade said...

Another glorious day! I have sun on my back, song in my heart...and watermelon in my bag.

pandabob said...

I hope, with little expectation, that your day is still going as well as it sounded to be earlier Greg :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

My day isn't too bad... Got a feeling Sherlock's isn't great and John's is about to get worse...

John, got a call from school. They said they tried you and it went to answerphone. Sherlock's not feeling too good - didn't eat his lunch!! And...they asked if he'd ever had chicken pox. I called Mrs Hudson, and she said she didn't think so.... So I'm going to go and see him/bring him home if he wants. Give me a call and I'll meet you en route or something

pandabob said...

Oh dear poor Sherlock :-( I hope he's ok when you get there.

John H. D. Watson said...

Oh no... All right, I'll call you. Be there as soon as I can.

Sherlock said...

I don't want to be ill it's sunny and being ill is boring and stupid

REReader said...

I'm sorry you're feeling I'll, Sherlock, it is miserable. I had chicken pox when I was in grad school, so I remember it very well--I hope if thst's what you have it's a light case and it goes away as quickly as possible, and you feel better even faster.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sorry Sherlock. I hope you feel better soon.

(Is the chicken pox vaccine common over there? I think over here, it's become one of the standard vaccines that all kids get. Didn't even exist when I was a kid.)

Ella

Greg Lestrade said...

He is a sad little bundle. And angry.

If it is chicken pox though, kiddo, it's one you want to get over with early! No fun when you're a grown up.

Anonymous said...

Ella - Yes, chicken pox (varicella) is required now. In the U.S. there aren't federal requirements for vaccination. It's enforced as a requirement (for all vaccines that I'm aware of) because it's required by state law in order to enroll children in group childcare or public school. I think the last state to require chickenpox vaccine was Wyoming, in 2011.

Other institutions where people are working/living closely may require certain vaccines, but I don't know if there are any other state laws about it.

Poor Sherlock! The question is: Have John & Greg had chicken pox?

fA

REReader said...

If it is chicken pox though, kiddo, it's one you want to get over with early! No fun when you're a grown up.

So so SO true!

pandabob said...

They don't do chicken pox vaccine here, at least my little one hasn't had it even though she's had lots her sisters never had!

Getting it it out the way is good Sherlock but the stuck in the house when it's sunny thing is rubbish! :-(

Anonymous said...

Start collecting the big guns for "keeping uncomfortable child entertained." I remember the period in which chicken pox required keeping my kids in bed (or at least at home) being the longest of the childhood illnesses.

Maybe Sherlock will be lucky, or the medical establishment can do something to shorten the course, nowadays.

Sherlock: hang in there kiddo. Try to let your body rest, it needs it even if your brain doesn't.

fA

Greg Lestrade said...

I've had it - got the scars to prove it.

Mycroft, have you had it?

Small Hobbit said...

I had it as an adult - not to be recommended. And there's a certain child nurse of my acquaintance who had it as a child, was outside, getting some fresh air as she started to recover, broke her arm and spent three and a half weeks in hospital, which set her on her career path.

Anonymous said...

Lord. Until you asked, I hadn't thought about Mycroft possibly having been exposed. I will hope he does not have chicken pox and exams occurring in the same week.

(But if you do start feeling "off" Mycroft, please admit it and get care!)

fA

Greg Lestrade said...

John, I'm coming home early. How is the patient (not very, I suspect...)

Anything you two want/need? Is watermelon good for chickenpox?

John H. D. Watson said...

I would describe him as bored and cranky and miserable. Maf is sitting with him.

pandabob said...

Good luck John, I have everything crossed that it's a mild case and he's free to leave the house soon :-)

Anonymous said...

My sympathies to the patient and to those who will be caring for him.

Can he get interested in audio books, if his eyes bother him with the fever?

Honest Sherlock, I know it's awfully uncomfortable and dull. But try to rest and do what John suggests. It'll help you get better a little bit faster - though I know, not fast enough.

fA

Greg Lestrade said...

You have just made me google 'can cats get chicken pox'.

I'm on the way in a minute. Then he can have a cat and a DI doing paperwork to entertain him.

I might make rice pudding...bet that's virtually a cure.

piplover said...

Poor Sherlock. I had chicken pox twice when I was a kid and neither was fun. I hope you feel better soon.

Cartlin said...

I had it when I was two (and have a few scars from it on my face, because try telling a two year old they can't scratch). I think the whole requiring kids to get the vaccine here in the US is a bit nuts...They've gone a bit crazy vaccinating for EVERYTHING here. Doesn't that just mean pretty much everyone is going to get shingles one day?

Anyway, I recommend oatmeal baths for the patient. I get rashes a lot (due to heat intolerances, and a newly developed sun sensitivity), and they save my sanity.

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah, I've got a few scars on my face. Don't scratch, Sherlock!

He is currently lord of the buttons for the TV and has the iPad and is a big sulky heap, threatening dire consequences to the person he thinks infected him! (Mrs N said loads of them had had it recently)

Anonymous said...

Acacia - the way it was explained to me when my mother went through terrible shingles (supressed immune system from cancer treatment) was that the reason older people get shingles is because they already carry the virus from having chicken pox in the past. So immunization is supposed to virtually prevent one's chance of having shingles later.

(Somebody correct me if I have that wrong.)

(Also, I second the oatmeal-in-the-bathwater remedy recommendation).

fA

REReader said...

Thing like the chickenpox do tend to spread around a school pretty quickly once one person has caught it, don't they?

fA--Also, I believe the shingles vaccine (for those older people who have had chickenpox before) is not completely effective, and it's much more expensive than the chickenpox vaccine, which may be why they're pushing the chickenpox vaccine for children.

And I completely agree about the oatmeal in the bath!

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm assuming the different vaccination rules come about because over there, all the politicians have shares in the vaccine companies and want your money, whereas over here, their government would have to pay for all the vaccines...so they'll only try and make it compulsory once they're out of office and on the board of a vaccine firm ;)

Sherlock has announced everything is stupid, and I'm making pizza...which he says he might eat a bit of. But at least he can have it cold whenever he does feel like it, tonight, tomorrow, whenever.

And here's a little something for you Furriners:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattbellassai/british-slang-as-guessed-by-american

Desert Wanderer said...

Aw, Sherlock. A couple of kids at school today just got back from having it, so you're in good company at least. From what I remember, the best cure for chicken pox (besides rest) is ice cream.

When I was in training most recently, a guy there got shingles, and he was only 34! He got quarantined because a couple of the 18 year old airmen hadn't had chicken pox as kids, and was miserable because he still had to wear the gear and everything. He was not a happy camper.

Greg Lestrade said...

He's gone off to bed. It's heartbreaking seeing him all quiet and sad, so different from what we're used to.

I'm imagining none of us will get much sleep tonight. Poor kid.

pandabob said...

I hope he sleeps some and that you two can at least manage a bit of sleep by taking shifts.

good luck :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

John's drugged him up, he's got water, a variety of fnugs/sheets depending how hot he is, and an open invitation to get us if he needs us... which will do nothing to stop us worrying about him and checking him anyway ;)

Mycroft said he hasn't had it, but is currently feeling fine...so let's hope he's avoided it.

pandabob said...

the waking up to check on them is always worse then them disturbing you I find!

I hope Mycroft's ok and stays spot free :-) I'm guessing all the adults at the Eurovision party have had it when they were younger though? adult chicken pox would not be good and certainly not for Jo!

good luck with sleep :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah, we all have - well, I don't know about Murray, actually? But the rest of us have. I gave Jo a call earlier. I mean, we're not certain it's what Sherlock's got yet! But it does seem likely, given it's recently felled half the school.

At least Sherlock couldn't ask for a better person to look after him, with John on the case. He's in the best possible hands.

pandabob said...

He's a lucky boy to have the doc by his side.

If Murray hasn't had it and is infected by Sherlock he might turn up wanting nursing in a few days ;-)

Greg Lestrade said...

...I'll move back into the section house.

John H. D. Watson said...

Ha. Wouldn't blame you, but don't worry, he's had it.

Greg Lestrade said...

Just Mycroft and any innocent bystanders we need to worry about, then.

And when/if the spots show up, gaffa taping socks over Sherlock's hands...

Cartlin said...

Hah. You should see the damage I can do with a heel, or palm of my hand....Due to my recent sun allergy, I now have several scars on the tops of my feet. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Watching an American TV show with a British actor on it (whose character is also British) and now, thanks to our earlier conversation, I am completely distracted by his use of "pants" when he means "trousers." I feel like someone who (supposedly, according to the storyline) only emigrated to the US nine months ago would still say pants in the British sense.

Hope you slept through the night, Sherlock, good luck.

Ella

Unknown said...

oh, chicken pox is a bummer, but I remember being farmed out to friends' houses for playdates when I had it, so they'd get it over with. times have changed if they're vaccinating for it now! If the spots itch (this works for bug bites too) PAT them rapidly rather than scratching. It satisfies the itchy feeling without exacerbating it, or introducing infection.
S

Anonymous said...

Random thought as I'm getting ready for bed: what, exactly is that mum from the supermarket - the one planning-fantasizing about a vodka watermelon party in Antarctica -going to do if her purple-faced darling shows up with chicken pox this week? I do hope she has someone at home to talk her down . . .
;-)
fA

Greg Lestrade said...

He was up a few times. Was re- dosed and checked over and put back to bed each time. He's mainly just miserable right now...I imaging when he gets itchy he'll be a little terror!

Greg Lestrade said...

Been in court all morning. Emerged to find a list of essentials from Sherlock which I must bring home (raspberries, fresh peas, a paddling pool, microscope slides, cat treats) and John (calamine lotion, lots of patience)...

pandabob said...

If only you could buy patience at the supermarket!!

I hope court went ok :-)

Kestrel337 said...

Oh dear. Are the microscope slides for investigating his pox?...yeah, that's too gross for first thing on a low-sleep morning.

Poor little man. Poor big men. It's tough when they're ill and you can only do so much to help.

Greg Lestrade said...

He's a sad grumpy sweaty bundle on the sofa. Currently eating an ice lolly.

REReader said...

Being ill is no fun. :( (Not for any of you.)

(I originally wrote "sick", and then I remembered that that means something more specific to you.)

Anonymous said...

...What does sick mean to Brits?

Ella

REReader said...

I believe it means "sick to your stomach", or vomiting.

(Right?)

Greg Lestrade said...

Not really. All in the context. If you said you were feeling sick, a lot of people would assume you we're feeling as if younger vomit. But if you say 'Sherlock's sick' of if you're 'off sick' (or, confusingly, 'on the sick') then you're just not very well - anything from a broken arm to a hideous stomach bug!

Greg Lestrade said...

As if you might ...not 'younger'.

REReader said...

Interesting--and a bit confusing! Which would "Being sick is no fun" mean--sick generally or specifically? (Although clearly true both ways...)

Greg Lestrade said...

Generally ill. Unless the conversation was about vomiting

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I now remember I've heard "sick" used as a noun (as something you have to clean up). I think if I heard "on the sick," I would hitch it to that interpretation, and potentially bring the ill person the wrong sort of "feel better" gifts. :)

Ella

Greg Lestrade said...

i really can't tell you all how sad he is. He isn't even trying to look at the crime scene pics in my files. He's so down.

Poor kid. Wish we could make him all better.

REReader said...

Wish we could help.

Anonymous said...

It's rough watching them when they're not well or really unhappy.

fA

Greg Lestrade said...

He has now had watermelon and Skyped his big brother. He is slightly more cheerful.

Only he could somehow make the fact he has chicken pox and Mycroft's never had it into some sort of oneupmanship.

Small Hobbit said...

One good thing is that he should have recovered by half term. It would be even worse to miss the holidays because he was sick.

Anonymous said...

SH!
How could you even think such a dreadful thing! The giant wail of NOT FAIR would frighten half of London!
;-)
fA

Greg Lestrade said...

I think he'll be ready for bed soon! Which is odd.

We have unsuccessfully tried to teach the goos to play fetch. And possibly annoyed Maf by flicking peas at her. Possibly annoyed John with same....

John H. D. Watson said...

Having peas flicked at me is better than the small ball of misery that he was earlier.

Greg Lestrade said...

it's only doc hotson's magic pills that have temporarily perked him up.

And the fact the goos were really not about to fetch the peas...we had to find some use for them!

pandabob said...

voluntarily going to bed is the thing that confirms illness in this house! I hope he sleeps ok when he gets there and that no one gets a nasty foot meets peas experience later ;-)

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah, although i think John is nearly as worn out as Sherlock is! And Sherlock has started getting spotty, so I fear it'll all get worse before it gts better.

I think I've found most of the peas...

REReader said...

He'll likely be considerably more uncomfortable for a while, I'm afraid. (Hopefully not too much more, I hope he has a very light case of it.)

It's rather lovely that his big brother can cheer him up like that--good job, Mycroft!

Greg Lestrade said...

There were long periods where Sherlock was half asleep/doing things, and Mycroft was working, and they were just 'there' on Skype together.

I wish it'd been around when I moved out and came to London.

REReader said...

That is really very...I won't say sweet, but it's really very nice.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the way the two of them are bonded is pretty awesome.

(And yeah. When I left home it was a 5 or 10 minute phone call to mom from a pay phone every other Sunday. Letters meant there was Big News. And if I'd been a young man rather than a young woman I'm not sure there would have been the expectation/pressure for that much contact.)

fA

Greg Lestrade said...

I'd just like to have seen Nicky and the others. Never quite believed it when they just said they were okay.

Sherlock has already been up, had more cream applied, had a drink, and been returned to bed.

I will actually spontaneously combust if our bed contains me, Doc Hotson, the hottest cat in the world AND a feverish 8 yr old! At least Mycroft's bed is free...

Cartlin said...

Oh! I almost forgot my BEST tip for anything that itches. Ice packs/cold wash cloths on the worst parts. It calms down the itchiness and numbs the area!

Greg, that bed sounds like a very different hotness than usual...

Anonymous said...

I'll hope radio silence means that any further getting up was brief, businesslike and everyone got back to sleep quickly. Also hope some sleeping in happens.

fA

Joolz said...

Good morning all. Hope everyone had a good night or as good as possible in the circumstances.

Are you off today, Greg, to double team the Sherlock wrangling or do you have to work.
Good luck either way, John.
Hope you feel better soon, Sherlock.

Good luck for the footy later. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah, he woke a few times but nothing serious. He's just finding it all very frustrating. For once we're all wishing the weather was miserable.

Unknown said...

AK, that's a great suggestion, I think I'll try it on mosquito bites... coming into that season here.
Skype is amazing, and that's just the ticket, some low-key hang-out time with brother.
Hope the day is going as well as can be expected, you have my sympathies.
S

Greg Lestrade said...

AK - I think that works for adults, but for kids with fever there's something about not wetting them down/using ice, as it constricts blood flow and can somehow make their insides get hotter...I'm not exactly sure if one thing would be a problem - but Sherlock would need more than one! The cream we have seems fairly good though.

I got John to go out and do the errands today, seeing as he's been indoors as long as Sherlock has. Tried to tell him to take some extra time out for himself...not sure he'll listen to that bit though ;)

Cartlin said...

Huh, Hadn't heard that new factoid!

Greg Lestrade said...

I only know what the NHS tells me (or John...which is almost the same thing.)

I guess because it makes the blood vessels constrict back from the surface, kids can't lose heat as well? I don't suppose it's such a problem for an adult, with so much more surface area.

Post a Comment