Sunday, May 25, 2014

taken over by cats

Sherlock made these while he was resenting not being able to go to the park or to the polls or anywhere else. It's L and I as cats...



  I'm the grumpy one. You may have guessed. You can make your own here. I did one of Sherlock...


I imagine the little spiral is because he's dizzy from seeing how many times he could spin around without falling down, which is one of the ways he  has entertained himself. Fortunately, Mycroft is home now and more less willing to keep him from passing out from sheer ennui. They're planning a trip, belatedly, for Mycroft's birthday. Which may or may not end up happening, depending on time and the scope of the journey in question, but it's looking good right now. Details as the situation develops.    

Mycroft asked me not to make a cat out of him, but he didn't ask anyone else not to. Perhaps an oversight on his part. Just saying.

93 comments:

Greg Lestrade said...

John-cat does have a rather perfect glare on...

Greg-cat rather looks like he's been on the catnip.

John H. D. Watson said...

I was imagining you were looking through a window at coffee you can't get to...

Greg Lestrade said...

If I couldn't get to it, I'd be sad. I'm clearly planning how to get to it.

I quite like my stripes though. Bit like Maf's.

John H. D. Watson said...

Good point. You've probably got someone bringing it to you. Maybe a trained dog, like Maf basically has now.

Greg Lestrade said...

Are you grumpy because I've been distracted from...ruffling your fur...by a coffee? ;)

John H. D. Watson said...

Hmm...could be. Or lack of tea? There's clearly none in sight.

Greg Lestrade said...

The dogs probably drank it all.

Why does Maf suddenly have a thing against dog tails? It is like she wants to provoke them into some big barney. Can't tell if she's getting more confident or just needs this op to calm her down.

John H. D. Watson said...

She's just playing! It's not her fault they look just like those cat toys on a string that Sherlock waves about for her.

Greg Lestrade said...

But when they ignore her she starts dancing about trying to bat them with her claws. She's lucky they're very chilled out hounds, or she'd be a quick meal.

Still, world of difference from when she first arrived and barely left your side. Much like all of us here.

John H. D. Watson said...

She doesn't sleep on my head every night either, which is a nice change.

Sherlock said...

It's not fair Mycroft says he's going to pay and have the chicken pox injection instead of catching it!

Greg Lestrade said...

...sounds quite sensible to me?

Kestrel337 said...

I can understand your unhappiness, Sherlock, but at Mycroft's age it makes more sense. Chicken pox at your age was a misery, but it tends to be more serious in people older than 12. Mycroft is taking a sensible precaution, really.

Greg Lestrade said...

We have returned to illness being some sort of badge of honour...Sherlock was entirely sure he would both have it worse and deal with it better. Now he has no chance to prove this.

I don't think Mycroft has time to be ill. Ever. ;)

REReader said...

I can certainly see why it would feel unfair, Sherlock, but really, Mycroft getting himself the vaccination won't change you having had chicken pox--and after all, he might not get chicken pox even if he doesn't get the shot. So he might as well get it.

And you're quite right, Kestrel--I had 'em in my 20's, and judging by the papers I tried to write while I was sick, I was hallucinating at least part of the time. (Unless the White Rabbit actually plays a significant role in US campaign financing!)

Mycroft said...

Sherlock should enjoy the chance to share germs with his peers.

A chance I never had at his age.

Desert Wanderer said...

On the subject of vaccinations, what's the worst one you've ever had, Doc and Lestrade?

Greg Lestrade said...

I don't remember any, so none can have been that bad!

I imagine it would have been the BCG (against TB), but...I happened to be away from school when they were doing all that. So missed out on that pleasure.

John H. D. Watson said...

Not a vaccination, but the antimalarial stuff we were on in Africa gave me the most horrendous dreams I've ever had in my life.

Desert Wanderer said...

I had to switch antimalarials on the last deployment 'cause I couldn't keep anything down, though that might have just been the chow hall. ;) Did you have to get the smallpox vaccination? It's horrendous.

Small Hobbit said...

That cat icon maker is great - even I can produce something good!

RR - it would explain a great deal if the White Rabbit was involved.

Greg Lestrade said...

from what I can find, smallpox sounds a little like the BCG. Anyone had both?

John H. D. Watson said...

I didn't. I take it I should be glad.

Anonymous said...

I would hesitate to produce a Mycroft cat icon against his wishes. I am nearly certain he has better things to do than to wreak vengeance, but that nearly gives me pause.

Captcha would reject all my trials and then make fun of me. Or something worse.

fA

Desert Wanderer said...

The BCG and smallpox look remarkably similar, yes. Anthrax is another bad one, if only 'cause it's a series. The original series was 6, but now there are more. It burns going in. :/

John H. D. Watson said...

(I read that as 'bums going in' three times before I made sense of it. Sorry.)

Greg Lestrade said...

You would!

:)

Greg Lestrade said...

DW - used to be universal vaccination for BCG at 13. Now only given at birth in high risk areas, not sure if older kids still get it in high risk areas...Sherlock may still cop it ;)

Desert Wanderer said...

I would have expected more of you than three times, Doc. Thought you had a bit more staying power.

Unknown said...

I remember thinking, when Sherlock came down with the chicken pox, that probably the boys had been so isolated before John, that Mycroft would not have had the chance to get them. So the vaccination is a good idea at his age, and I had a thankful moment.
S

Greg Lestrade said...

DW - only 3 times going *in* ;)

Anyone else watching the election results roll in? I'm pretty much hiding behind John at this point. I might start to cry soon.

pandabob said...

I just saw the results for my region Greg and feel rather ill at the thought of living amongst people who will vote for such parties!

its a scary world we live in at the minute :-(

Greg Lestrade said...

isn't it just? I honestly wonder what these people think they're voting for.

pandabob said...

There were people around here voting UKip in the local election 'because of their policy on immigration' I had to rewind the interview three times before I could believe that that was what the guy said!! Some people are scarily lost when it comes to knowing what is actually going on!!

Anon Without A Name said...

You know you're living in a fucked up world when you're relieved that the Tories tied with UKIP for the most councillors in your region :-(

Greg Lestrade said...

Happily our councils are reasonably UKIP free, but yeah. Let's hope everyone is using this as a protest and come to their senses before the generals.

Still not happy that we'll be paying the UKIP lot to have a jolly in Brussels for the next few years, doing nothing, claiming all the money.

Small Hobbit said...

Perhaps they could do the decent thing and since they don't like us spending money on Europe not claim it.

Greg Lestrade said...

You'd think, SH... but in fact they'll go there, have a lovely time spending it all and refuse to talk to half the other parties there. Brilliant.

Lancs. Anon said...

Still too much of a swing to UKIP, in my neck of the woods, but at least Nick Griffin got voted out, so not too bad

Greg Lestrade said...

Lancs. - so far that is the one bright spot in the night! Him and his mate, BNP -2.

Lancs. Anon said...

It's a small crumb of comfort but a crumb nonetheless! The London results might be cheering, if we're lucky

Small Hobbit said...

Nameless - in our case the Euro results are better than 5 years ago.

Sherlock said...

I want to do archery and fire arrows in the forest and Lestrade is at work so we should get him and go NOW

Anon Without A Name said...

SH - That's at least some comfort - I think I'd managed to blank the last set of results.

Sherlock - I'm sure Lestrade would rather be with all of you today than at work, but unfortunately there's very few paying jobs that give you as much holiday time as school. How's the weather in London today? Are you going to the park?

Greg Lestrade said...

I would love to be with you.

But as it is I have every faith you guys will be planning a great trip.

Sherlock said...

We are!

Sherlock said...

John said we had to ask if you wanted to do camping or live in a house.

Greg Lestrade said...

Given I don't know if we'll be in The Gambia or Grimsby, I don't know, kiddo. You and Mycroft check the weather and if there's somewhere you want to stay, call them up and ask them politely if they have space for us. Otherwise I'm happy with camping. (If it really is The Gambia, check with John before phoning)

John H. D. Watson said...

Very sensible, L.

Greg Lestrade said...

Do I get a clue where we're going?

Mycroft did text me to assure me it was nowhere you could escape to become a travelling camel herder. He seemed to think you might be looking to change career after being Sherlock's personal physician.

John H. D. Watson said...

It's definitely in the UK. Beyond that, I've been sworn to secrecy.

Greg Lestrade said...

Might not tell you where we're going tomorrow then.

John H. D. Watson said...

Butttttttt

Greg Lestrade said...

Are you calling me a butt John Hamish?

You might not be allowed to come if you're going to be rude.

John H. D. Watson said...

I think I can guess actually :p

Sherlock said...

I know I know I bet I know is it motorbikes I want it to be motorbikes

Greg Lestrade said...

Ha, can't pull the wool over your eyes.

Yeah, booked us in for tomorrow afternoon. It'll be a mud bath.

John H. D. Watson said...

Perfect :)

Mycroft said...

Sherlock is now running around the house making motorcycle noises. Maftet and the dogs are following him.

Maftet is better than the dogs at making motorcycle noises.

Greg Lestrade said...

Maf is good at motorcycle noises, yeah. When she sleeps on John's head she often makes loud motorbike noises in my ear.

If the place are okay with it, Mycroft, you can ride my bike around their track, too. Although you might find a moped a bit of a disappointment, afterward, power-wise.

Sherlock said...

please on your way home can you buy parma ham please we're making dinner.

REReader said...

Well, of course Maftet is better at motorcycle noises than the dogs--IIRC, she's ridden on one (albeit tucked inside a jacket) and they haven't.

Greg Lestrade said...

Sherlock - yes, buying it.

RR - they've been around them enough! But for Maf it's a happy noise. For the dogs it means they're about to eat you.

Anonymous said...

I had a cat wander into my house the other day. He was very friendly and I think just confused as to where he usually gets dinner. I let him hang around and explore the house and sit on my lap for about an hour. I thought about stealing him from my neighbors, but eventually he left again.

Ella

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm fairly sure Maf is letting the rest of us hang around in her house for a while ;)

All my boys are amazing! Just had a three course dinner, didn't cook, didn't wash up! Perfect :)

pandabob said...

lucky you :-) its nice to be spoilt by those you love :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

...and if anyone is stuck with what to buy me when my birthday rolls around... you could do worse than this ;)

http://www.chiselandmouse.com/arsenal-stadium-architectural-sculpture.html

Greg Lestrade said...

AnonyBob - I hope yours gang up on you and spoil you when they're old enough to!

pandabob said...

I'm very lucky because they do a pretty good job already, cheese sandwiches and salad make the best meal ever when you don't have to do it yourself :-D

Sherlock said...

we did melon and ham and then risotto and then cream flavour ice cream and strawberries

REReader said...

Yummmmmm!

(Well, I have to take the ham on faith, but the rest sound delicious. :))

pandabob said...

That sounds delicious Sherlock :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

it was all delicious. And tomorrow we shall eat mud.

REReader said...

And enjoy yourselves even more. :)

Anonymous said...

Hope you all have a very satisfying day tomorrow! And food almost as good as your feast today (yesterday for you when you are reading this.)

fA

ro said...

That Arsenal Stand sculpture is really nice, Lestrade!

Have fun off-roading, guys. Get good & muddy :)

Joolz said...

Well it looks like being a nice day so I hope you all have a wonderful time out on the bikes today. I'm sure there'll be plenty of mud still around though to make it extra fun. Good luck on Lestrade's bike, Mycroft, that should be brilliant. Do you get to do quad biking, Sherlock, that sounds like the best.
Have a great day everyone. :)

pandabob said...

Have a great time today gentlemen :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

Very grey here, but even if it doesn't rain again the forest trails wille very wet, as will the splashes and mud sections.

We are all well fuelled with oancakes and fruit and we'll be off in a bit.

Sherlock is determined to try their smallest two wheelers, but I don't think he's big enough yet, no matter that he's been growing like a weed for ages now.

REReader said...

Have a lovely, muddy time!

Becca said...

Have a great time everyone!

Will be getting into see my surgeon tomorrow morning, first thing. Have discovered a pressure sore on my non-operated leg from the brace I wear. So I'm worried about infections. Good times at Casa Becca.

John H. D. Watson said...

Good luck, Becca.

Greg Lestrade said...

Hope they can sort you out Becca, with minimum fuss.


I think I have mud in EVERY orifice.

But that could be paranoia from Sherlock making me read about poo donation earlier...

Anon Without A Name said...

Poo... donation? 0_o

Anonymous said...

Oh, so now we are going to have "do not Google" topics from Sherlock? Though it being Sherlock, I'm sure it is all very scientific.

Since mud seems to correlate with fun, I'm happy for you all!

Becca: Good luck! Hope the issue with your brace is fixed. And you have uncomplicated healing.

fA

Z said...

Ahh, poo donation! My family's favorite Thanksgiving conversation. Half of us need poo transplants (it's harder to get them than you'd think, it's still experimental and there's a wait list), and the other half want to be the donors. But apparently they use poo from unrelated people so as to get as far from the bad genes as possible :(

Is Sherlock suggesting you be a donor?

Greg Lestrade said...

This was very much about the DIY end of the market, Z

Z said...

I see. Whom did he want to donate to? Or was he suggesting one of you needs one?

I think it would make an excellent business venture.

Greg Lestrade said...

He was just generally enthralled by it.

REReader said...

It's a pretty fascinating idea back of it--and also, poo. ;)

Sherlock said...

John let me ride in front of him on his bike because Mycroft got a go on Lestrade's and we went fast.

Anonymous said...

Sherlock, that sounds great!

fA

REReader said...

That does sound very exciting, Sherlock!

Post a Comment