Wednesday, August 3, 2011

the four horsemen ride to victory

It was close, but the four horsemen of the apocalypse are apparently going to win the NSY vs City rugby match, according to you lot. I hope you all realise you'll be next. I mean, I don't think they're going to stop at one match. At the very least they'll go for the Six Nations Championship, and then it'll all be rains of toads, plagues of locusts, and general doom.

We went to visit Eton today. Because of the reschedule, we were the only ones being shown around, not that there weren't enough of us to fully occupy our poor tour guides, especially when Sherlock started asking about the quantity and quality of their dead things in jars vs Harrow's dead things in jars. The consensus was that their dead things in jars were of roughly equal scientific interest, but Sherlock's still declared his intention to go to Eton because he's "not going to Mycroft's stupid school."



Mycroft drifted through the whole experience with his usual aplomb. I'm not sure I've met another thirteen year old to whom the word aplomb was applicable. He seemed a lot more relaxed and chatted fairly easily with the older boy they had showing us around at one point. On the way out, he said he liked it all right, but he was still going to Harrow. He also said he didn't think there was that much difference between them. I hope he'll explain that one in the future. Maybe another guest post, Mycroft? [Maybe.] Oh, I see you've fixed my tag. Thanks.

After Eton, their mum took them off for the afternoon, and L and I had a late lunch by the river and a nice ride on his bike before heading home. The boys will be back any minute, and I'll just get this posted while L searches for his shorts. And then dinner. Lovely day.

Here is a video Bronwyn posted in the comments last night that deserves a wider audience. Probably not safe for work, children, or sanity.


97 comments:

mazarin221b said...

Nuts. Work firewalls have blocked Bronwyn's video, which is probably the best for the state of my employment, it sounds like. Will look tonight.

Glad you all had a lovely day, and Sherlock seems very serious about the quality of his future scientific education, as he should. And Mycroft seems able to handle just about anything anyone send his way with aplomb, which is a very enviable skill, and one which I wish he would teach me!

(also - looking for his shorts? For shame, gents.;))

Cranky Bookwyrm said...

It sounds like everyone had a nice day. I second the hope that Mycroft will tell us what he likes/doesn't like/prefers in the Harrow/Eton race/competition.

Greg Lestrade said...

Shorts Danger was an accomplice in hiding! Not ones that had been discarded in the throes of...well, anything.

I threatened to wear them to Eton, knowing Mycroft's dislike of such normality (and my shorts and flip flops in particular) and he took me seriously enough to hide them.

I don't care that 4 horsemen won. I care that some of your readers voted for City, Danger!

John H. D. Watson said...

I'm sure I never suggested they were discarded in the throes of anything whatsoever!

John H. D. Watson said...

Mazarin - one which I wish he would teach me!

I wouldn't mind learning that one either. Sherlock is dead serious about the quality of his dead things in jars.

Cranky - He always has an interesting perspective on things, doesn't he?

Greg Lestrade said...

Let's hope his new tutor has dead things in jars, so he can look at them there, rather than try to keep any here. I don't mind if they stay in their jars...I do not want to think about what happens when dog takes out a shelf of DTIJ, and they become dead things on the floor with smashed jars...

mazarin221b said...

Consdiering the quality of most DTIJ is is relatively poor, and they've been around so long that a good chunk of them are just...sort of globulous masses in jars, I take his point. And I did chemistry, not biology.

And saying that one has to find one's shorts because they're missing generally implies they became missing during the throes of etc. Well, in my house, anyway. ;) But I see that John has been much more clever and hidden them in advance! (Just kidding, guys, really.)

Greg Lestrade said...

Your house must be the home of a lot more etc... than this one. Missing clothes here usually means a dog has stolen it, or Mrs H has taken it hostage in the name of washing (I think she steals John's pyjamas just to sniff, though.) ;)

John H. D. Watson said...

Excuse me, was that a complaint about the lack of etc. in this flat? And you wanted to go back to work this afternoon, tsk tsk.

I must agree that the DTIJ should not come home with Sherlock. Ever.

Greg Lestrade said...

No! A complaint against the lack of time I spend in this flat, with you and no...distractions.

It's like I said last night...feeling like I should go back to work and wanting to go back to work isn't quite the same thing.

John H. D. Watson said...

I know. Thanks for coming along today. I know it meant a lot to Mycroft, and obviously I enjoyed having you there as well. Etc.

Greg Lestrade said...

You don't have to thank me, I wanted to be there.

Although if they have CCTV in the chapel, I think you're very lucky that Mycroft doesn't want to go there...

John H. D. Watson said...

Oh, come on. Who puts CCTV in a chapel?

Greg Lestrade said...

I suppose Eton boys don't nick the collection plate...and anyway, the Almighty sees it all without CCTV, right?

Shall I have you measured up for a handbasket?

John H. D. Watson said...

I don't think anything we did in the chapel was deserving of a one-way ride in a handbasket. I also sincerely doubt we were the first.

innie said...

Ooh, frisky! No more talk of DTiJ, please - I'd like to hear more about HBiC (hot boys in the chapel)!

Greg Lestrade said...

that depends...if you believe we're all equal in his eyes, or if you think he's partial to Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.

Anyway, I covet your ass, not my neighbour's, so we're all good on that front...

Cranky Bookwyrm said...

I agree that the DTIJ should be kept in places where dogs aren't allowed (no matter how much the dogs would enjoy the DTIJ).

Mycroft said...

I that why Lestrade made that yelping noise when we were being shown around the Chapel? Because you did something to him? Really.

Well I'm glad you managed to control yourself at Harrow, at least.

Greg Lestrade said...

Err... think he's talking to you, Danger.

(He must be very cross. He missed a letter out. I'd hide if I were you.)

:D

Anon Without A Name said...

You two were getting naughty in the chapel? I'm... impressed, actually (sorry, Mycroft). Although disappointed that the shorts were missing due to being hidden to prevent fashion crimes, rather than being lost in the throes of etc.

I find the poll too difficult. Obviously John DeLancie!Q would be quite entertaining, and would be able to spirit me away from the desert island should I desire. T'other, tubbier Q would've been lots of fun; nice guy, and see also spiriting away*. OTOH, Picard... well, sexy is an understatement.

*ponders*

Yep, definitely too difficult. Can I choose Mal Reynolds instead?


* Yes, I watched Voyager. What of it?

John H. D. Watson said...

Mycroft - I have no control over the noises Lestrade might choose to make in public. We were very well behaved at Harrow though, I promise.

John H. D. Watson said...

Nameless - No, you can't! If I put Mal on the poll, everyone would pick him. He's like the four horsemen in that respect.

Greg Lestrade said...

We weren't naughty.

John was naughty. And has every control over a lot of noises I make.

And my shorts are not a fashion crime!!

Once again, I don't understand your poll.

Cranky Bookwyrm said...

Is it that I'm too old, or that I can't imagine being stuck alone with a trickster as anything but hell?

Has Sherlock responded to the poll? I can definitely believe he'd vote for Q. No matter which team he bats for, he'd probably think Picard was too old. **thinks sexy Picard thoughts**

John H. D. Watson said...

Cranky - I suppose it depends whether you think Q would take you along when he regained his powers (or whatever) and zapped himself off the island to somewhere more interesting, or just leave you to rot. Picard would, of course, take you with.

L - mildly naughty at most. And I might have to make you watch Star Trek too, but only after Firefly.

Greg Lestrade said...

I've seen Star Trek! Kirk and Spock and Bones - he was my favourite.

I assume you're talking about one of the modern ones? Where all the monsters weren't made of polystyrene and painted green?

John H. D. Watson said...

He was my favorite too actually. And semi-modern, yeah. Picard and Q are both from The Next Generation, when the technology had moved on to roughly that of an iPhone.

Anon Without A Name said...

Modern as in 1987 - 1994 :-)

And in the end - as you decided to deny me Mal - I decided that OMGSexy beats Entertaining.

Greg Lestrade said...

Because he was a doctor, or because he was a dry, sarcastic grumpy old sod?

If technology has moved on, where's my transporter?? That would be great.

John H. D. Watson said...

Sarcastic, grumpy old sod. Also for the number of things he said he was a doctor not a _______. Bricklayer was my favorite I think.

It'd make it a lot easier to get to New York, certainly.

Greg Lestrade said...

Ah, so it shaped the sort of man you'd go for, not your profession...

John H. D. Watson said...

Hmm. Now that you mention it... Are you going to start saying "Dammit, John, I'm a DI not a professional trapeze artist" now?

Desert Wanderer said...

Q would be so annoying! I'd rather be stuck longer with someone you could have a rational discussion with. And who wouldn't be treating you like an experiment of some sort.

Greg Lestrade said...

trapeze artist...didn't he usually says these things at relevant times? What are you going to do to me to elicit that response?

Have you been practicing your knot tying again?

John H. D. Watson said...

DW - I voted for Picard as well, but you never know what people will like!

L - I thought it might come up in the course of your work. Circus murders. Or something.

Greg Lestrade said...

right...yeah, hasn't happened yet.

Murders are generally sad and dull, if I'm honest.

I'm in one of those odd tired-but-wide-awake moods. Any advice?

Cranky Bookwyrm said...

Actually, although he has his entertaining moments, I just think I'd enjoy Picard more. Sexy, intelligent, cool under fire . . . What's not to like?

Hm, no wonder I like reading these blogs. ;-)

John H. D. Watson said...

Warm milk? Massage? Star Trek marathon? I could read you Harry Potter, that ought to do it.

Greg Lestrade said...

Harry Potter...I thought I was asking for ways in which I might sleep, didn't realise I was asking to be driven away back to my own flat.

John H. D. Watson said...

Ha. Best stick with the massage then, yes?

Greg Lestrade said...

You keep giving me massages. Don't want you to think I'm taking the piss. Don't feel you have to, anyway. I'll be fine.

Just thinking about...y'know.

John H. D. Watson said...

I like doing it. It's not a chore, it's a pleasure.

I know.

Greg Lestrade said...

Mmm. I s'pose I believe you.

I feel like...I don't know. Some stupid guilt for not just working on it 24/7. For enjoying myself. All that.

But I have had a really nice day. Thank you.

John H. D. Watson said...

I know. I get it, believe me. And I feel faintly guilty about tempting you away from work this afternoon, but...yeah, it was a really, really nice day.

Greg Lestrade said...

I know you do. That's why I can tell you. Because I know you understand. I've never really had that before.

Thank you.

And...I'm glad you did tempt me away. Honestly. All work and no play makes Greg a dull boy, right?

John H. D. Watson said...

I think all work and no play might actually make people slightly mad eventually. I'm pretty sure it did me for a while.

Bed now? And get your shirt off.

Greg Lestrade said...

Well...I've never quite got to thinking I'm a banana tree...not quite.

But yeah, when your own team start trying to avoid you as you wander the corridors of the Yard looking like a zombie because you haven't been home for a week...madness probably isn't far off.

Aye aye, Cap'n. Shirt off, as ordered.

X said...

Very easy answer for me on the poll. A starship captain badass who also enjoys Earl Grey tea and the finer points of literature? Yes. Please.

Though if Mal or Han were on there, it would be decidedly more difficult. Especially if you had to choose between them. (There was actually a Mal vs Han panel at the last [and first] sf convention I went to. Mal won, primarily because one of the panelists had Nathan Fillion on speeddial and had him argue for the supremacy of Mal. Absolutely fab.)

Also, as others have mentioned, would love to know more about this chapel excursion. :P Poor Mycroft; I hope they didn't embarrass you too badly, though that generally is the role of parental figures.

X said...

Because the mobile version wouldn't let me post links, a second comment. Here's the geeks vs nerds link; the Mal v Han episode is the last of season 1: http://www.geeksversusnerds.com/season1.html

And because your poll raised the subject of Captain Picard, one  of my favorite YouTube moments: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3rFNbSKpEE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Finally, and NOT IN ANY WAY APPROPRIATE FOR WORK OR MINORS, a bedtime story read to Samuel L Jackson. I imagine there are nights when A Certain Someone makes you both feel like this. :) I offered to get it for my sister to read to my niece, haha. She was very tempted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW0A6L9kx4c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ok, I'll stop sharing links now. :)

Lindsay said...

Heee! Love the video. Reminds me of this one. :D

X said...

Because the mobile version wouldn't let me post links, a second comment. Here's the geeks vs nerds link; the Mal v Han episode is the last of season 1: http://www.geeksversusnerds.com/season1.html

And because your poll raised the subject of Captain Picard, one  of my favorite YouTube moments: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3rFNbSKpEE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Finally, and NOT IN ANY WAY APPROPRIATE FOR WORK OR MINORS, a bedtime story read to Samuel L Jackson. I imagine there are nights when A Certain Someone makes you both feel like this. :) I offered to get it for my sister to read to my niece, haha. She was very tempted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW0A6L9kx4c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ok, I'll stop sharing links now. :) And sorry if this posts twice---blogger seems to have eaten it last time. :/

Anonymous said...

I agree with Sherlock, DTIJ are awesome. I have a sheep brain in a jar. It looks awesome, it is educational, it's a conversation starter, and I once put it in my roommate's bed when she was asleep. Best prank ever. And one time we hot glued a pair of these: http://bit.ly/pFUDcH to it.

mazarin221b said...

I just saw the video.

O.O

I'm horrified and laughing at the same time. Well done, Bronwyn!

Anonymous said...

I must say, your trip to Eton sounds like it was a bit more interesting than your trip to Harrow, much to Mycroft's horror, no doubt. Mycroft, I'm sorry to say this, but embarrassment comes with any adult guardian/parental unit. They do grow out of it, eventually.

John, Lestrade, for your Bones entertainment (he was my favorite, too!) I present - Dr. McCoy, by S.P.O.C.K. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkMsF_H8rws&feature=related

Mez said...

So, I totally voted before I read the comments, so I thought that you meant Q from James Bond... I fig ure he'd be able to build some sort of submarine from palm trees and coconuts and get us off the island. Oops. Now I'm voting for Zoe instead.

ruby said...

De-lurking to say I did the same as Mez, with the same rationale (he'd totally get us off the island!). Only I haven't seen Star Trek, so we have one vote that's completely out of nowhere.

Bronwyn said...

I voted for Q and I meant it. Picard was dull as paste in my opinion. For most of the reasons y'all find him sexy. Odd that.

But I'll take Q because he's unpredictable and hilarious and I wouldn't be bored.

Though if I can pick? McCoy. Or Mal. Or maybe Arthur Dent. He could fly and interesting things always happen around him. Infinitely improbable.

And now I'm humming The Hero of Canton. Thanks guys.

Going to the Special Hell,
Bronwyn

Greg Lestrade said...

X - I showed John that Samuel L Jackson story a while ago. I think he posted it on the blog? Maybe not.

Danger - Hope you are being driven up by the wall with all this rain. Did you go to one of the museums/galleries or something? Hope so.

Greg Lestrade said...

Aren't! Sal just pointed out my mistake. Hope you aren't being driven up the wall.

innie said...

Talk of galleries and museums made me remember that I have a couple of book recs for Mycroft, if you're interested?

The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey - particularly if you went to the National Portrait Gallery and stood in front of the painting of Richard III. This is the book that made me want to visit England.

And because of your interest in the stars, Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. It's been some time since I read this, but I think it's age-appropriate.

Both books should be available in slim paperbacks, if you want to pack them for your camping trip.

John H. D. Watson said...

L - both your hopes are coming true in turn. National Portrait Gallery is good, very interesting, but Sherlock unsurprisingly doesn't have that long an attention span for paintings of dead people. Fortunately (for him, not them) not a few of them were murdered.

X - that video of Picard dancing is...amazing.

John H. D. Watson said...

Innie - I have a question I've been meaning to ask about those black eyed peas. Are they meant to be faintly...crunchy isn't quite the right word, but...I dunno. Not completely soft? I'm used to cooked beans being squishy and these are decidedly not squishy. (I made more last night.)

Greg Lestrade said...

Good, I mean, good that you're not entirely driving you up the wall.

I wanted to meet you if you were in town, but...there was another one, last night, and I really can't, sorry.

John H. D. Watson said...

I'm sorry, love. Good luck.

Greg Lestrade said...

Thanks. Feel like we're going to need it. I just don't know what to do.

Sherlock said...

You should let me and Mycroft help, then we could go the park and have ice cream instead of you being at work.

Greg Lestrade said...

Thanks Sherlock, but I'll have to refuse that kind offer.

I'm sure you, John and Mycroft can go and have some ice cream though. I'll see you tonight.

innie said...

The beans should definitely be soft, if not squishy. Are you soaking them overnight or for just a few hours? It might be that they just need some extra time soaking - cover them with water and then at least one more inch of water on top. You can, of course, also follow the recipe using black-eyed peas from a can - I just happen to prefer buying bags of dried beans to heavy cans of soft beans.

Greg Lestrade said...

What do you want for tonight, Danger? I've got to go back to mine, then come over to you. Anything you want me to pick up? I won't be early, but I'll try not to be stupidly late.

John H. D. Watson said...

Something with possibly not quite as soft as they should be black eyed peas? Er. Maybe not. Fish of some kind?

Innie - I did do them overnight, but overnight around here is about 11pm to 6am, so maybe not quite enough? I'll do them longer next time. They're still good. Sort of like eating raw peas, that crispness.

Greg Lestrade said...

I like your peas. Al dente, right? Taste good, anyway.

Fish of some kind meaning 'we have fish, we should use it' or fish of some kind meaning 'buy some fish'?


Speaking of overnight...I'm on nights again next weekend. It's never occurred to me before that nights when they boys are around might be...interesting.

John H. D. Watson said...

We have unlabeled fish in the freezer. I don't know how long it's been there. I could thaw it and you can look at it when you get here? Does frozen fish keep eternally? Otherwise...yes please buy some fish.

It's only two nights this time, right? I can take them out in the day so you can get some rest.

Greg Lestrade said...

Mystery fish - it definitely belongs in your cookbook.

I wouldn't say 'eternally', no. But a long time. I mean, longer than you've lived in that flat for...you did buy it in the first place, I assume?

Shall I just buy some fish?

It's only not been two nights once! And for a good reason!

John H. D. Watson said...

I was only asking! It wasn't an accusation, and it was for a very good reason, yes.

I'd say...not more than two months old? Pretty sure.

Mystery Fish with Stuff.

Greg Lestrade said...

what colour is the fish? This is like some weird guessing game. Twenty Questions to identify the Mystery Fish.

Rough identification of Fish has a lot of bearing on the Stuff element of the meal.

And sorry. Yes, two nights. And I can always go back to mine to sleep, anyway.

John H. D. Watson said...

It's all right - I just wasn't sure because you've only done it twice since you were staying here regularly.

Fish is...flat and white. In fillet form. Does that help? We also have green beans.

Greg Lestrade said...

Right. It is usually two nights, unless it's for a particular case. Which might come up anyway. I mean, this case, if we get any more information I might start doing some night obs. I'm running out of ideas, frankly.

How about paella? Doesn't matter what sort of fish it is then, and we can chuck in any veg we have spare.

John H. D. Watson said...

I hope you do get some more information. Not that I want you gone at night, but... Well, you know. I hope you catch the bastard, I suppose is what I mean.

Paella sounds good.

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah. I know. Just waiting on the latest forensics, but I'm not sure it's going to tell us anything more than we know already.

Right, good, and it's fairly fast - or it will be, if I can call on the sous-chefs.

John H. D. Watson said...

Two out of three sous chefs, at least. Sherlock's currently barricaded under the table, surrounded by cushions.

Greg Lestrade said...

Right. Well, I suppose we should be getting used to being tackled to the ground, so I'll be prepared for him leaping from his lair.

Leaving the yard now, back to mine, frantic search for rugby kit, then to you. See you soon.

Feel free to start chopping any veg up.

John H. D. Watson said...

Will do.

Greg Lestrade said...

You didn't see my boots when you were delving about in my stuff finding my uniform, did you??

Greg Lestrade said...

Don't worry - found them. And my hat.

on the way to you

John H. D. Watson said...

Oh good, because I didn't, no.

Greg Lestrade said...

Hah, thanks for answering...

Think I need some new studs. Depending on the weather.

John H. D. Watson said...

Shh, I was distracted.

So 1pm...Sally's grand plan is get everyone right after lunch and make them suffer?

Greg Lestrade said...

The suffering comes as standard. At least that way we get a last meal...actually, most of us won't get any sort of a meal, given she's going to take up our entire lunch hour. Not that we exactly get a lunch hour...

John H. D. Watson said...

I'm starting to think you should get hazard pay for this match. Or at least the training for it.

Greg Lestrade said...

I should get hazard pay for having her as my sergeant!

John H. D. Watson said...

Ha. I ought to tell her you said that.

Greg Lestrade said...

she'll find out. You'll know if she finds out before tomorrow, because she'll make an example of me on the pitch or something

X said...

L -- oh, he might have done before. If so, sorry for extraneous link!spam. :)

J -- glad you like the dancing Picard vid. It never dais to make me giggle (and, I would argue, offers evidence against your assertion that he's boring, Bronwyn! ;) I admit there may be some conflation of Picard and Patrick Stewart in my mind, though. Anyone who can do Shakespeare, space captain, and voice on American Dad is pretty epic in my book.)

Would still choose Mal over him, though. No one measures up to Captain Tightpants.

X said...

Annnnnd y phone failed to load the rest of these comments before I started writing. So the previous was clearly rather off topic.

L, I hope whatever this case is that you get the bastard soon. I'm sorry it's eating you up so much, but thank you as ever for doing the job you do.

I love the cookbook ours making here: mystery fish paella sounds like a grew addition. Why exactly is Sherlock barricaded under the table? Apart from disappointment at not getting to help solve the case?

Anon Without A Name said...

X - I have only just gotten around to watching the dancing Picard video. <3

Just rewatched Serenity tonight. Definitely want to vote for Captain Tightpants.

X said...

You're, great new. Autocorrect likes me to look like a moron.

Post a Comment