Friday, August 19, 2011

postcards from the edge (of dorset)

Swimming was freezing and wonderful, both. Had to haul Sherlock out eventually or he would've stayed in till he turned blue. He and Mycroft are looking for wildlife now. I'm hoping Mycroft's sense of self preservation will make him stop Sherlock from loading his pockets with whatever they find, since it'll be in their part of the tent until we leave.

The dogs love it. They may abandon us and stay here to swim (they don't seem to notice the cold) and run and beg strangers for bits of their picnic lunches. They're usually far too well mannered to bother strangers at home, but they seem to know we're on holiday, so all bets are off. Mycroft kept having to call them back and apologize. Deimos in particular seems to forget he's actually rather large and threatening even when he wags his tail and tries to sit in people's laps. Maybe especially then.

Heading back for dinner soon. It's early, but there's something about the sheer volume of fresh air that really brings on an appetite. 

17 comments:

Liz said...

Glad you are having such a good time, even if the holiday atmosphere is causing dogs and children to become more wild :)

I'm still working, but going out tomorrow night, I can pretend it's a holiday!

Enjoy the weather (and each other all together) whilst you can!

-x-x-x-

mazarin221b said...

Mine finally figured out how to swim, like really swim, and as soon as he did I couldn't get him out of the freezing cold public pool for love or money. He'd come out, wrap in a towel, eat a few snacks, then dive back in, over and over and over until he was shaking from the cold. I think it's a side-effect of being five - ablility to ignore that which threatens to derail your enjoyment.

Glad you're all having a wonderful time!

innie said...

This all sounds sickeningly idyllic - I fully expect Sherlock's next picture to feature four huge smiles and four sets of apple-pink cheeks. (Plus dogs.)

Yay! It couldn't have happened to a nicer family!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are all having a great time! I'm so glad you're able to just relax and have fun.

I think big dogs don't always realize they can be a bit scary, lol. We had a doberman who was huge, and he couldn't understand why, when camping, he couldn't just go up to people and jump in their car or beg for scraps. Sweetest dog ever, but not the brightest.

Tink said...

Wow, I get deathly ill and come back to find out so much stuff has happened! (I'm mostly better now!)

My emotions went on a roller coaster as I caught up on things. I'm so glad you guys made it through the riots okay(ish), thrilled that the badguy was caught, and so very angry someone broke in to Greg's flat and stole stuff.

Oh, and even though I was hooked up to an IV, I made sure to wear black and white for the game! The nurses looked at me a bit oddly, but I didn't care a whit! So happy you guys won! (I also watched Invictus about the time your match was played, so there was that too...) Rugby for the win.

Though now I'm delightedly happy that you all are enjoying your holiday. You all deserve it. Has it been clear enough to stargaze at all?

Greg Lestrade said...

Tink - we were wondering where you'd got to. Glad you're mostly better now - hope you're fully better very soon.

Not clear enough yet. Although today there are gaps in the clouds! But both boys (well, all 6 of us, really!) Are very tired tonight, after a busy day. Probably only capable of falling into our sleeping bags and snoring at the moon.

Rider said...

A rottweiler I knew used to literally beg for treats. As in sit up and beg.

Apparently she learned it from the neighbour's terrier who had been taught to do it and always got snacks when he did. So the rottie tried it, the astonished neighbour gave her a liver treat and so a trick was born.

Maybe Mycroft needs to teach that to Deimos. A large dog doing that is very disarming.

Anonymous said...

I always feel bad for big friendly dog because too many people don't know how to read dog body language to realize. Nobody is ever afraid of my little one - even when she's trying to be aggressive, which is rarely - because she just looks happy all the time.

Tink said...

Pneumonia is no joke, lemme tell you. Anyway, thank you for thinking of me! I hope it clears up for you tomorrow since you're going to sleep through it tonight :D And just think, you lot are learning more ways to tire Sherlock out! Woohoo!

Tink said...

Also, I voted for corset as I've never been to Dorset and have lots of experience with corsets! I've worked for a corset maker in my own sordid past and I can tell you they are quite comfortable if made correctly to your measurements (even for guys!) and not bought 'off the rack' as it were. I can run, jump, and fall asleep in my corsets (though I will admit that boning and lacing indentations are not very comfortable to wake up with...) :D

Bronwyn said...

I've slept in mine too, Tink. I've a friend Nancy who made all three of my current ones (and a one of my previous ones) to size. They're fabulous. And make me feel gorgeous. Also, there is something about a fit man in a well-made corset that's bit . . . Etc. Wonderful stuff.
TTFN,
Bronwyn

Greg Lestrade said...

Danger has forbidden me to joke about waking up with boneing indentations...

I can't imagine him in a corset. But I'm more than happy with him all sleepy and tousled like he is now, in ratty jeans and an old t shirt.

(phone autocorrected tousled to trussed and he to JW. It's trying to tell me something...)

Anon Without A Name said...

Maybe he can teach you some of those knots he's been practising?

mazarin221b said...

Oh, are we talking about corsets? Yay! I have to admit, though, when I'm laced in tight enough to wear my 1886 bustle dresses, I'd never fall asleep in them. The state of my skin under the corset when I take it off after wearing it for 14 hours or so is very interesting, yes (note - I refuse to give L any additional ammunition!) I need a new one, as mine is getting a bit careworn. I guess its time to get out the old sewing machine! Perhaps lavender or pale yellow, this time. Cant do any darker or it'd show through my grey silk dress.

Glad you're feeling better, Tink!

Tink said...

Bronwyn: I so agree with you on the fit guy and corset point *fans herself* I loved the moment when I put a corset on someone and the smile happened because we'd got the fit right and they look gorgeous in it.

Greg: Personally, I think you with your leather trousers is a better candidate for the corset >D

Mazarin: Thank you! I won't be wearing my corset any time soon, but I'll get there! I have my 1895 gowns that I wear mine under so I understand how tight you have to keep those suckers. I'm good for about 10 hours, but then I have to take a two hour break before I can get dressed again. I also use spiral steel on all the curvy bits which does add to comfort levels, as does the under shirt I wear to keep my body oils away from my precious foundation garments!

Greg Lestrade said...

I hardly ever wear leather trousers! I have one pair of old leather jeans, that's all. And I definitely have no desire to wear a corset.

We swam again today. There's a pool that was blasted out of a rock shelf, it fills at high tide and is great for Sherlock. Not quite big enough for the rest of us. But the sea is nice, in a freezing way. And there's spots to dive from, too.

Bronwyn said...

I do love a corset. Though mine tend to be earlier eras. I've got an Elizabethan dress that's smashing. It's the most difficult to wear though because of the sheer bloody size of the thing. Late 1700's tends to be my timeframe.
Lovely,
Bronwyyn

Post a Comment