Monday, February 20, 2012

all's well that ends well

L's back to work, and Mary's entertaining the boys, and I'll try to explain things a bit without bringing down the wrath of Mrs H.

I used to know the man who was behind the abduction of Mary's mum. A long time ago. He was in the Army then. I gather he was thrown out on his ear not long after, and I'm not surprised. There was a lot of rumours. Him talking to the wrong people and information getting where it shouldn't, things going missing. Nothing was ever proved, although apparently it was later on.

I can only assume that's why Mrs H wanted me involved, although if she already knew who he was... I don't know. Maybe she just wanted confirmation. You can run yourself to death trying to follow her trains of thought.

Most of the packages Mary was getting were a sort of trail of breadcrumbs from her mum that I won't go into the details of because I don't know how on Earth she managed it, but a little while ago there was something else, from him. A sort of threat-slash-bribe. Mrs Morstan was not giving him what he wanted, and he thought he could get it from Mary instead.

I recognised his... Not signature. This odd little sign he used to doodle all the time. Either as a result of that, or independently, I have no idea, Mrs H and her people found and retrieved Mrs Morstan. I went to give Mary the good news...and he broke into her flat while we were having tea and tried to... I don't really know what his goal was, actually.

Fortunately, he came on his own. We had a bit of a scuffle, I knocked him out, and you've read the aftermath. Mrs H tells us Mrs Morstan should be home tomorrow. 

110 comments:

Greg Lestrade said...

When you put it like that it all seems so easy...

REReader said...

Right? Almost dull, even.

Master of the understatement, you are, John!

John H. D. Watson said...

Well, Mrs H did all the hard work. I was just sort of...there.

Anonymous said...

You're like the hero in a western:

'Shucks, t'weren't nothin' ma'am' and then you walk off and kiss your horse, except in your case it's a Lestallion!

REReader said...

Uh, huh. Just there, naming names and taking prisoners. :D

Thank you for filling us in, to the extent you could fill us in! Much appreciated, truly.

John H. D. Watson said...

Just glad I was there at the end, that's all.

Small Hobbit said...

How often are you planning on using your "making Lestrade nervous" tag?

John H. D. Watson said...

Heh. Never on purpose, except with motorcycle lessons.

Greg Lestrade said...

I'd rather just 'never' ta all the same.

John H. D. Watson said...

I'll do my best, love. How's prison?

Greg Lestrade said...

Suitably depressing. He's being an utter arsehole (dont want to hear you repeating that Sherlock.) Currently on a loo break, which takes forever because he has to be escorted etc. But rules mean we can't give him an empty bottle and tell him to stand in the corner.

John H. D. Watson said...

Lovely. Good luck.

Greg Lestrade said...

Mm. Was going to ask if you'll be okay feeding everyone... but as it's half term, Mycroft, are you okay feeding John and everyone? ;)

innie said...

Yikes. Even though you were calm and capable and victorious, I still don't want to picture any of this. I'm glad you're safe, John.

John H. D. Watson said...

Hey! I resemble that remark...

John H. D. Watson said...

ha. that was meant in response to L.

innie, i shall try not to get in anymore trouble for a while.

REReader said...

I'm sure Lestrade was just wanting you to not overuse your arm, John...

Bronwyn said...

I've been cooking up a storm for an event later this week. We're making roasted tomatoes toast points and salmon toast points and lots of different tartlets. Good, solid, finger-foods!
Glad y'all are all okay,
Bronwyn

Greg Lestrade said...

I was thinking that we have a guest, who should not be subjected to.... um, Sherlock's cross examination while Johnny's cooking. Yeah. So, safer all 'round for Mycroft to show off his culinary skills, and John to be a degu-stand, sparkling conversationalist and run interference on Sherlock.

And the arm, yes. (it took me a moment to work out quite what you were suggesting there, I admit.)

REReader said...

Oh, sorry--incoherence the result of so-called multi-tasking...

John H. D. Watson said...

Bronwyn - sounds delicious! Hope your event goes well.

L - quite right! Mycroft is making fish i think. We'll save you some.

Greg Lestrade said...

Wasn't incoherence. I would just have assumed you meant something different if you had been... certain other commenters around here (who know who they are). But as it's you, I knew what you meant.

REReader said...

And since I don't know what the something different is, you clearly made the right assumption... *puzzled* (No, don't bother explaining. Innocent. :D)

Greg Lestrade said...

Danger, you seen the news? We're officially in a drought as of today. I think the only responsible thing to do is share baths and showers, always. Yeah?

(by the way, in case any of you were thinking the worst of me, my DC is driving us back to London. I'm not being a naughty boy and flogging whilst driving)

Greg Lestrade said...

(Or blogging, either)

REReader said...

I'm not being a naughty boy and flogging whilst driving

*giggling*

Desert Wanderer said...

certain other commenters around here (who know who they are)

See that, Nameless? You just got a shout-out.

John H. D. Watson said...

Flogging while driving certainly would be a bad idea.

Greg Lestrade said...

DW - I don't want anyone to feel out.

So have a shout out to all of you commenters who don't know who you are, too, yeah?


Got plans for tomorrow, Danger?

Desert Wanderer said...

DW - I don't want anyone to feel out.

You're right. Sorry.

You're very considerate; maybe someday I'll learn to be, too.

John H. D. Watson said...

museum maybe?

Anonymous said...

John - You do have a flair for the understatement, don't you? Still, I'm very glad that everyone is safe and alive and (relatively) unscathed.

Greg - I'm not being a naughty boy and flogging whilst driving.

*chokes on tea* Oh, that is an image... and aren't all your commenters are innocent and pure as the driven snow?

~A from NW

Greg Lestrade said...

You're very considerate; maybe someday I'll learn to be, too.

I'm certain you're very considerate.

The only question is, are you a commenter who knows who they are, or a commenter who doesn't know who they are? ;)

CzechReader said...

flogging whilst driving - I just had this idea how it would look like if gangs were flogging their rivals from the bypassing cars instead of using firearms. You have to admit it's much funnier image...

Half a liter of red bull at nine p.m. - good idea? Y/N

Just had an email conversation with an ex-boss of mine. She was very surprised that my husband and I plan to have kids. Apparently she never saw me as a mother. Duh, when she met me I was 18, depressed and pretty much irresponsible - but sure this changed after 12 years... :-D

Desert Wanderer said...

The only question is, are you a commenter who knows who they are, or a commenter who doesn't know who they are? ;)

Since I'm usually blamed for the thoughts my perfectly innocent comments/limericks put in people's heads, I'm going to exercise my right to refuse to answer. ;)

Half a liter of red bull at nine p.m. - good idea? Y/N

If you're on the night shift, are in a competition to see who'll stay up the latest, or a race around the world, Yes.

Anonymous said...

CR - Red Bull at 9 p.m.? Not a good idea...unless you plan not to sleep at all tonight...

The only people who need to worry about whether or not you should have kids, is you and your husband. Goodness knows that I've had shouting matches with my own mother about the names of her hypothetical grandchildren when I'm not even dating. Maturity does not appear with a number, but only with a mindset. =)

~A from NW

Greg Lestrade said...

No, no, never mind what time it is, Red Bull is never a good idea! It tastes like a chemikaze smells! Have some really good coffee.

If I'd ever had any influence over the naming of any babies, I like the names Iole and Domenico. But I doubt I ever will.

CzechReader said...

DW - I'm going to exercise my right to refuse to answer Advice please: what is the proper phase in English for "silence means agreement"? ;-)

But I love RedBull... *whines* My excuse is... Damn it, need to make up one... Ah, got it: my excuse is that I can't fall asleep lately anyhow (the weather's changing), so I decided to take the homeopatic approach: treat the like with the like :-D

AfNW - yup, we get into discussions about names with all the parents (and grandparents even) as well.

Ah, maturity - who needs it! :-D But responsibility, that's a good idea...

Desert Wanderer said...

"Silence gives consent," CR

Desert Wanderer said...

...did I just help you mock me?! Sneaky, CR.






I approve. :)

mazarin said...

Heh. Since I barely ever comment more than once a day, I know for a fact L isn't talking about me, so I'll just sit here and guess which of you guys he means.

I'm pretty sure I know. :D

And naming babies is hard. It took us 3 days to finally decide on my son's name, which is a family name plus my maiden name as his middle name. Poor kid.

(Captcha says "perpetrating." It was all them, I swear.)

There's a family we know and their 2 year old daughter is named Lola, which I think is just lovely.

mazarin said...

WTH, Blogspot. Y U NO LIKE ME? The captcha comment was supposed to go under the rest of it. I'm not quite that...scattered. I don't believe.

Anonymous said...

DW - If you're invoking the 5th, that might not be what you want to do, and...

Greg - Does the British law code allow people the right to remain silent and avoid self-incrimination? As for baby names, you could always try to influence your sister...? :)

CR - When marriage/children comes up as a topic, I excuse myself from the family conversation. It's bad enough that everyone in my family has an option, but we have it in three different languages...

~A from NW

John H. D. Watson said...

Domenico is a good one.

Greg Lestrade said...

Maz - my parents just seemed to go with naming me whatever came into their heads. I can't explain it any other way...

A - Yes, everyone has the right to remain silent. (But we warn them that if they don't say something which they later rely on as evidence they may harm their defence.)

Danger, just leaving the yard. Have you all eaten?

John H. D. Watson said...

yeah but there's plenty left. I'll heat it up for you.

Anon Without A Name said...

John - Blimey. Thank goodness you were there. I'll agree with everyone else that you do seem to be the master of the understatement.

DW - I assumed he meant you!

I'm not even going near the flogging thing.

(I'll just watch from a safe distance ;-p)

Desert Wanderer said...

A, I'm pretty sure I know which side of the "known knowns" and the "unknown knowns" I fall on, silent or (most likely) not. ;)

Lestrade, would you then have nicknames for them? Or go only by their full names?

Doc, what names would you pick?

Greg Lestrade said...

Mm, Mycroft, you're brilliant.

DW - Iole I can't imagine shortening, but Domenico I imagine would be Dom. Or Nico. I wouldn't mind. Whatever he wanted.

Danger, you're a sight for sore eyes today. (Sort of literally, given I forgot my glasses)

REReader said...

museum maybe?

Which one?

(I love museums. Almost all museums. Which is because when I start to get tired, I leave--my mom taught me that, since she started taking my sister and me to museums when we were still in a stroller. When we started to fuss, it was time to go. ;))

REReader said...

I'm sorry your eyes hurt, L.

(Can you leave a spare pair in your office?)

Greg Lestrade said...

I have a pair in my office and a pair at home, but I never remember to take them anywhere with me - meetings or prisons, for instance.

REReader said...

Ah.

Well, it takes time to acquire new habits.

Rider said...

Lestrade, get set #3 which goes in your pocket, insert it into the sequence that puts your wallet and ID and phone onto your person. That's the out and about set. Just have to train yourself to put them back in the pocket.

alternatively get an eyecard (google it... safe I promise!). This is a lovely little credit card sized doover that sits on your nose like glasses and you can read things in an emergency. It then goes back in your wallet for next time.

Greg Lestrade said...

Happily I'm still perfectly capable of seeing, so there are no 'emergencies'. I just squint a bit. If there'd been emergencies, I would have gone for glasses a long time before last week!

To be honest, I don't know if my eyes are tired from getting used to wearing the glasses or missing them when they're gone, right now.

REReader said...

Either way, tired eyes are tired eyes.

Maybe do something now that doesn't require you to focus them--playing guitar, talking, sleeping, etc. ;)

Greg Lestrade said...

you think the talking ever stops 'round here? :)

Actually, now Sherlock's in bed, it's severely reduced. Mycroft and Mary are talking, John's doing...something to my hair. Trying out different styles, between 'fluffy and messy' and 'spiky and messy', I think.

Mycroft said...

You could shorten Iole to Io, like Jupiter's moon.

CzechReader said...

Le gasp! Me? Ö.Ö (<- very innocent eyes)

Nah, just making fun, not mocking :-)

John H. D. Watson said...

Doc, what names would you pick?

Well...my mum's middle name is Irene. That's pretty nice. And of course I'm rather fond of Greg, too.

Greg Lestrade said...

Very true. Although in Italian it sounds more like 'Ee-oh' Although more of a w sound on the end. But then, that's probably how they say Jupiter's moon, too, I suppose? I've never had cause to say it in Italian. But it ought to be.

Anyway, it'd be up to my fictional child. Heh. They might be like you, and dislike the idea of any abbreviation.

REReader said...

Io would be a lovely nickname for an adult.

(I'd be too afraid of kindergarten humor via Old McDonald and his farm to give use it for a small child, though. Or of someone looking up the mythological original in middle school.)


John, what are the chances of us getting photos of your hair-styling session? :)

CzechReader said...

Mycroft - now that's a good idea! I like it.

Greg Lestrade said...

And of course I'm rather fond of Greg, too.

I know, darling, but we're talking about naming fictional kids here, you can save being fond of me until the bedroom ;)

John H. D. Watson said...

Don't be silly, I'm fond you all the time.

Greg Lestrade said...

Don't be silly, I fondle you all the time.

I fixed your typo.

KHolly said...

You guys leave me with warm soft chuckles pretty much every day. So thanks for that. Even on days when I don't "need" them it's always nice.

John H. D. Watson said...

I fixed your typo.

Did something to it anyway...

Greg Lestrade said...

KHolly - you lot make me smile everyday too.

Danger - oh, that wasn't what you meant? Even as you fondled my hair?

Desert Wanderer said...

*points to number of comments*

I rest my case.

H. Savinien said...

*sniggers*

Well done, Doc! I'm not sure from your context and all, but around how old is Mary? I can't recall you saying and I'm having a hard time figuring it out. My guesses from the commentary we've had the past week have ranged from mid-teens to mid-thirties.

Greg Lestrade said...

Dunno what you mean, DW. Says 71 :)

Although with imagination that could be...yeah, anyway.

Desert Wanderer said...

Thanks a lot. I'm never going to un-see that. :P

Although, I think with enough effort any number can become...interesting.

Anonymous said...

Greg - This is one of those "do not google" moments, isn't it?

*coughs*

Sweet dreams!

~ A from NW (who is snickering quietly in the corner)

Greg Lestrade said...

I refuse to be responsible for anyone else's googling habits.

DW - I suppose so! 38. Although that should be alternated with 3-8

Is this what porn on the internet was like in the early days? Can't say it does much for me...

I'm going to drag myself to bed, before Danger's eyebrows go so high up his forehead they detach and come after me...

John H. D. Watson said...

H. Savinien - 20 or 21 I think, quite young.

John H. D. Watson said...

My eyebrows are not free-ranging.

Anon Without A Name said...

38. Although that should be alternated with 3-8

Oh, that's just pure filth, you smutty, smutty man.

Greg Lestrade said...

Think they are. Sometimes they're just above your eyes. Sometimes loitering mid-forehead. Currently hiding in your hair, soon to pursue me! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

(dont ever grow another moustache as back up for them)

Come to bed. Have sweet dreams. Plan our tomorrows.

Greg Lestrade said...

Stop Nameless calling me names (which is vaguely ironic, really)

Desert Wanderer said...

Ha! Nice.

Yes, you should definitely take your "just sort of there" boyfriend to bed, before he's scandalized by more than your skill with early Internet porn.

Have a nice(r) night!

H. Savinien said...

Right, thanks. That helps with the mental pictures.

John H. D. Watson said...

Right, yes. I think I should.

Anonymous said...

... I'm just going to pretend that all of this is a highly boring mathematical discussion that I will never ever need in real life. I will ignore any and all attempts to tell me otherwise. (No, not really, but my scandalized expression can only be used so often...)

*mutters to self* And who says the math department is the least libidinous place on campus?

~A from NW

John H. D. Watson said...

...Come to bed, that is. Not grown a moustache, or...

Yeah. Time to sleep, definitely.

Anon Without A Name said...

vaguely ironic, really

Aww, that's the nicest thing anyone's said about me all day :-p

Have a good night, gents.

Desert Wanderer said...

And who says the math department is the least libidinous place on campus?

Professor G. Lestrade, PhD Mating Mathematics? With his co-professor, Dr. J. Watson, PhD Lascivious Logic, of course. :)

You'd be the most popular courses on campus!

REReader said...

I understand none of your numerical shenanigans. None, I tell you.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Anonymous said...

DW - *splutters and chokes on my evening tea* I was actually quoting a TV show there! But yes, those two professors would be the most popular instructors on campus!

RR - You're totally convincing in your story-telling powers. ;)

*giggling*

~A from NW

Greg Lestrade said...

Good things about Mycroft being home and me having a day off - lie in isn't interrupted by small buy wanting attention. Bad things - lie in interrupted because as soon as anyone is up, the dogs pursue them around the flat hoping for food. Two dogs running down the stairs after Sherlock sounds like an avalanche.

Still, they've headed for the living room, so might still be able to doze a bit more...

Greg Lestrade said...

...small boy.

CzechReader said...

DW you totally killed me with the Mating Maths and Lascivious Logic! Kudos!

Small Hobbit said...

I'm doing the payroll today - any other numerical suggestions to distract me? If only we'd had Professor Lestrade and his sidekick when I was at uni I might have paid more attention.

Desert Wanderer said...

0600 lie in?! Positively decadent. My, how you spoil yourself. :P


I...may have spent more time than was strictly necessary thinker up course titles, but this is a family bologna after all... ,)

Desert Wanderer said...

"Sidekick," SH?! Brave. Lol

Desert Wanderer said...

Family blog. Even that took three tries to type... And my phone clearly thinks I'm a one-eyed pirate or something. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

At least it doesn't think you're into bdsm while driving.

And it is decadent! Going to miss Danger when I'm on nights :(

Desert Wanderer said...

But enjoy him (and the boys) so much during the day!

REReader said...

So where did you end up going? Hope you're all having a great time wherever!

Greg Lestrade said...

DW - thus blog's been stuck on 99 comments all day! I'm only commenting now to save you from thoughts of spooning. Although I am thrusting us into the realms of threesomes....

CzechReader said...

L - you really used "thrusting" and "threesomes" in one sentence? Ingenious Innuendo!

CzechReader said...

BTW, one of the words in recaptcha was "genius" :-)

Desert Wanderer said...

"save me" eh? 100 seems to be a bit of a miss to me. Just slihtly left of center. A bit askew. Not quite right...

dw said...

PS. Thanks for the smile. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

100 looks like two sleeping, one frustrated.

103, where you left this post, looks like the above, but the far right sleeper now has their arse hanging out of the bed.

In my mind.

Desert Wanderer said...

Omg I wish you hadn't said that. I've been reading regulations on "frustrated cargo" all day, and now... Damn you and your quick mind.

100 looks like someone needs more practice to me. Aims a little off.

104 looks like alternate uses for ginger.

105 is poor spooning technique.

REReader said...

*oblivious*

Greg Lestrade said...

'frustrated cargo', eh? I can relate...

108 ... blocked? The 8 should be blue...

Desert Wanderer said...

Thin walls sure are frustrating, yes. Make it difficult sometimes to nail things.

109 back to spooning! And maybe some feelings of inadequacy? How sad.

Desert Wanderer said...

Because I don't want to ruin it and I'm fairly sure you'll get an e-mail notification this way, too, I'd like to point out the number of comments on Doc's latest post. (169 in case it gets messed up before you see this)

That is all. :)

Post a Comment