Thursday, February 9, 2012

mummies and policemen

The museum yesterday was interesting, lots of information on the mummies' placards. Sherlock got a book in the gift shop called Conversations with Mummies, which was written by the woman who used to be the head of the museum's Egyptology department. Mrs T is going to get more than she asked for, but she's used to that by now. 

This is the unwrapping of the 'Two Brothers'; they were Sherlock's favourites. I liked the coffin made for a cat.   



Got back in time to hear L's talk, or parts of it at least. Three hours is a very long time for Sherlock to sit still and listen to anything, even if it's about murders, so there were a few breaks.

Today was a little boring for Sherlock I'm afraid, as I had to pick up some things, but he hauled his new book around with him and read parts of it aloud to me (and policemen at the hotel and strangers in shops).

We met Darren for dinner, and I hope he doesn't regret agreeing to it. Sherlock had an enormous number of questions for him, half of which were about police work, and half of which were more about establishing Sherlock's territory (i.e. Lestrade and I). Darren was very, very patient, and Sherlock did warm up to him after a bit.

Tomorrow, we're going flying

129 comments:

REReader said...

I must applaud Sherlock's priorities. :)

And the flying looks like it will be AMAZING!

Greg Lestrade said...

It does look amazing. We may never get Sherlock's feet back on the ground though...

And what 'things' were these, Danger??

John H. D. Watson said...

You're coming with us, right?

Just things! Nothing you need to concern yourself with.

Kholly said...

Do you suppose Sherlock feels the need to assert his claim more than other kids his age might because his claim is newer than most kids have with their parental figures? Or is it less circumstantial and more simply his personality? I don't remember being particularly possessive of my family when I was young. But then at his age I can't think of any times I would have been around people who wouldn't know already.

Greg Lestrade said...

If you go in the afternoon then I can duck out of the final bits and come, yeah :)

Things, eh? And stuff?

KHolly - I think there's a bit of that. He knows people don't always know what to make of our relationships, so likes to make it obvious that we're all together. I think he's still a bit wary of people leaving him, too, though, so likes to make it clear to newcomers that we're his and they can't have us :)

John H. D. Watson said...

L - great! Yes, things. Possibly some stuff as well.

Kholly - as L said. And I think part of it is him trying to keep his life stable, which it hasn't often been, and which is a hard thing to do when you're six.

Greg Lestrade said...

But he does do it admirably. Luckily he's not shy about saying what he thinks, or we might have a harder time figuring it all out.

(Darren's face, when asked "Why do you like girls now, is it because of Lestrade?" was...quite a picture.)

John H. D. Watson said...

I was very impressed his drink didn't exit through his nose on that one.

Greg Lestrade said...

I was impressed yours didn't! It was a close run thing...

I had at least warned him that 'favourite murder' meant...'most interesting case suitable to tell a 6 yr old about'...although Sherlock wasn't convinced by his answer to 'why don't your kids want to help with solving murders?'...he clearly just doesn't believe that any youngsters wouldn't be interested.

John H. D. Watson said...

At least we can be sure he wasn't bored!

REReader said...

I was going to say he'll outgrow it, but the belief that one's own interests are universally fascinating is shared by many, if not most, professionals and almost every university professor I've met. (Personally, I don't find tax loopholes scilntillating dinner table conversation, but to each his own.)

I really like that Sherlock asks questions straight out, instead of guessing without sufficient data--although I concede it may be a bit startling when you first run into it... :)

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah. He is amazing. Makes me proud to have you both here with me, y'know? Despite the gossip and stuff. And it's good for Sherlock to meet more people.

(At what point do we try to make him put his new book down and sleep, given we'll both be up still... this will be a test, for sure.)

John H. D. Watson said...

Thanks. I know it must be more difficult in some ways than going on your own would've been.

Maybe he'll fall asleep on his own if he reads long enough...? I'm fooling myself, aren't I.

CzechReader said...

Wow, sounds like a busy day for all of you :-)

KHolly - My theory goes with what L said: Most of us took our families more or less for granted, the people were always there, with us. For Sherlock this is pretty much still new situation - I mean, before he had his brother, his mother who can't be present much due to her work and his late grandmother - the rest were people who were close (Mrs Hudson) but not family... As I gathered from reading the post about Fathers' Day, he does not remember his dad, does he? Or at least not that much...

It is great that John and L met when they met. John's pretty unique background, as far as I understood, made him very suitable to deal with the two boys. And L understands where both of them are coming from more than most of people could, what with Mycroft's need to take responsibility of an adult long before it would come to him otherwise, and Sherlock and his need of stability...

Okay, feel free to tell me to buzz off anytime, guys. Don't want to offend by dissecting your lives.

L - At what point do we try to make him put his new book down and sleep, given we'll both be up still
I have to admire Sherlock's energy reserves - even though it is impossible to separate me from a good new book with a crowbar before I finish reading it, I developed this habit around 10 years of age... Good luck with that. :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

Different, not difficult.

And yes. I pity the fool who thinks Sherlock will stop reading before all lights are off...including laptops and phone screens...

Maybe we should tell him that if he's not asleep in ten minutes, breakfast tomorrow is cancelled...

Anon Without A Name said...

Heh, I'm starting to feel slightly sorry for Darren. (I won't ask if you really did turn a gay man straight, Lestrade :-p)

The flying looks amazing, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

It sounds like it's good for Sherlock to meet people who you like, and/or your exes; when he sees that you can like other people and that doesn't threaten your relationship with each other, or with him, I'm sure he'll start to feel more secure.

John H. D. Watson said...

Nameless - by the end of dinner, I felt fairly sorry for Darren as well...

L - well, he's either asleep or faking it. At least the book's on the floor.

Greg Lestrade said...

Nameless - I didn't! He was bi. Although Sherlock gave me a hilariously calculating look when he realised that Darren was with me, then a woman, whereas John had girlfriends, and now has me... think he's wondering if I'm a hermaphrodite or something!

Darren was fine. He said he wanted to meet you!

Right...so...now he's asleep we should probably...go to sleep.

REReader said...

think he's wondering if I'm a hermaphrodite or something!

When he's chewed it over a while he may well ask you. :)


Night night, guys!

John H. D. Watson said...

He said he wanted to meet you!

Heh. Yeah, but no one is really prepared for Sherlock. It was very nice to meet him too though.

Greg Lestrade said...

Ha, maybe not a hermaphrodite...but some sort of half-way house for people who aren't quite sure :)

...AND he told Darren I'd got my nipples pierced 'for John'. Darren's eyes nearly fell out of his head. Okay, I do feel a little sorry for him...

CzechReader said...

Poor Darren! Good for us, your internet stalkers - I am giggling like mad reading this... :-)

Anonymous said...

You guys seems to be having fun, just being together. I keep thinking about Mycroft in his school, I truly hope he started to really like it there and actually made some friends since he can't be with all of you.

Sherlock is lucky to be so young, he has this new life now filled with all those amazing things that certainly make him a very happy boy and for whatever happened in his past I think he's confident you are both his.

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah, I do feel bad Mycroft can't be here too.

Luckily he's very sensible and rational about such things. We'll be sure to do some fun things in half term.

Desert Wanderer said...

Sounds like a wonderfully entertaining dinner. Should have been interesting for any eavesdroppers...

Greg Lestrade said...

Sherlock is generally entertaining, eavesdroppers or intended participants in conversations!

Why did this post get a DI gqmf tag?? (why does such a tag even exist)

And rest assured...I now know how to effectively handle a kidnap situation...well, half of it. The other half agter coffee:)

Desert Wanderer said...

Why did this post get a DI gqmf tag?? (why does such a tag even exist)

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest it's for the same reason you have a "my boyfriend is a god" tag. That is, both you and Doc delight in stating the obvious. :P

Greg Lestrade said...

My boyfriend is god like, though. At times. Whereas I can't imagine anything I do being...GQ like. Not that I've ever read GQ.

CzechReader said...

By the way, all this talking about haircuts before reminded me that I need to get my hair done. And I have an apointment in 45 minutes :-)

mazarin221b said...

Wow, that flying thing looks awesome! I want to do something like that! *googles like mad to find one near here* Have a fantastic time!

And thanks, everyone, for your good wishes yesterday. I saw my niece last night, and she is perfectly precious. Sister wass climbing the walls to leave like 6 hours after surgery and still hooked up to all of the monitoring and tubes, but that's pretty typical for her!

Greg Lestrade said...

Sherlock, after a few moments of uncertainty, is flying and smiling and generally looks like he's having the time of his life!

John H. D. Watson said...

Why did this post get a DI gqmf tag

Because it's the only one I have for you that's vaguely police-related. And also because you looked really good up there, giving your talk.

Greg Lestrade said...

You're lovely.

And your flight suit is snug in all the right places. There are so many fun things I can think of to do whilst flying...

John H. D. Watson said...

Ha. Nothing that'll get us thrown out please!

REReader said...

Sherlock, after a few moments of uncertainty, is flying and smiling and generally looks like he's having the time of his life!

Yay! (So much for snow, eh? :))

And how are you two liking the flying (as opposed to the flight suits, that is...)?

Greg Lestrade said...

I won't get us thrown out, promise.

Might buy you a set of leathers for the bike though...

KHolly said...

My sister decided to try proper sky diving for her 40th birthday and we all went to watch. All I could think was really? Perfectly good airplane. I'd have no need to jump out. But looking at the site for what you guys are doing, that looks like all the fun without any of the insanity of jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.

John H. D. Watson said...

L - nearly all the things I have for the bike are already leather!

Kholly - did she do it by herself or was it one of those where they strap you to someone who knows what they're doing?

Greg Lestrade said...

Mmm. But actual leathers. Especially when you get your own bike and ride in front of me ;) there's just a certain way that all in one mounds to your bum...

Mind you, might make me crash...

KHolly - I definitely feel safer knowing the ground is right there, not 20,000 feet away! And not relying on a flimsy bit of silk to stop me hitting it hard...

John H. D. Watson said...

L - does that mean you wouldn't come along if I wanted to do it for real?

REReader said...

I imagine Sherlock would want to come along if you wanted to do it for real... :)

Greg Lestrade said...

I... I don't know. I think I could do it for real. I don't know if I could watch someone I cared about do it... probably. Rationally speaking, I know it is pretty safe.

I only remember one murder-by-skydive in this country...

Anonymous said...

Oh, god Sherlock will be so excited by a story that combines murder and skydiving!

John H. D. Watson said...

There was a murder-by-skydive? How did that go?

And I don't feel a burning need to do it; it was just a thought.

RR - I am sure he would, but I suspect you have to be a bit older than he is before they let you jump out of planes!

REReader said...

Heh, probably. I actually would not be very surprised if you had to be 18 before they let you step out of an airplane for fun.

But I imagine it will be carefully researched if the issue arose in a less theoretical discussion... ;)

KHolly said...

She was strapped in to someone who knew. In a way that would be worse for me. They'd been floating peacefully along at the end there and then he made them do this twirly maneuver and if that were me I'd have been puking all over his shoes from the motion sickness. It's worse when I'm not in control though. I can drive on a windy road, but I'm miserable as a passenger. So I was a bit horrified watching. Just when the ground stops rushing at you... it goes from bad to worse.

But she loved it. And it sated her mid-life crises urges for a little while.

Greg Lestrade said...

Sabotage of the parachute is how it went - all the strings were cut and the chute neatly repacked after the safety checks. If memory serves it was the bloke's best friend. I could be wrong on that though.

You can have a nice normal mid life crisis with a motorbike and piercings, deal? :)

REReader said...

Aha! It's 16--but for 16-18, one needs written permission from a parent or guardian.

That would seem to settle that. For the time being.

REReader said...

(That's for the UK.)

REReader said...

That's a particularly horrible method of murder, L, being that the victim would have plenty of time to know what was going to happen. *shiver*

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah, a lot of lonely time facing the inevitable, I guess. Although a lot of murder victims, sadly, do. Murder isn't often neat and quick.

John H. D. Watson said...

That is pretty bad, although I can certainly think of worse ways to go.

You can have a nice normal mid life crisis with a motorbike and piercings, deal?

Me? Normal?

Greg Lestrade said...

Me too. Fire is my serious fear. I'd definitely hope to go from smoke inhalation before the flames got me.

No, you're not normal :) you're amazing.

We going home tomorrow afternoon? Or you want to get back sooner to rescue Mrs H from the goos?

John H. D. Watson said...

Fire's a bad one, yeah.

I think tomorrow's fine. She hasn't admitted to playing with them yet, but she seems a bit more sanguine about them than when we left.

REReader said...

She hasn't admitted to playing with them yet

I bet she's warmed up to them considerably--they really are very cute looking! (Which is not to say she'll ever want them in her kitchen... :))

Greg Lestrade said...

I think she's very worried about them escaping, that's for sure.

I think fire's the only way to go that really freaks me out. Although clearly I'd prefer swift and painless, as most folk would, I imagine.

Carry my donor card... although don't actually know if they'd take my innards, given they refuse my blood now...

REReader said...

I'm a bit acrophobic--only in open air, I'm perfectly happy in skyscrapers with big window and in airplanes, but still--so the tampered parachute bothers me, but yeah, fire's the worst. I had nightmares of fire as a child. *more shivers*


I think she's very worried about them escaping, that's for sure.

Well, since they've learned the "dinner" command, she ought to be able to recage them pretty easily!

REReader said...

(Why do they refuse your blood, L?)

John H. D. Watson said...

Drowning, in that chamber-filling-up-with-water way you always get in films.

Greg Lestrade said...

I'd definitely rather drown than burn. But yeah, still not nice!

RR - that really IS John's fault. They refuse my blood because I'm gay. (my being gay, admittedly, isn't his fault, but they allow you to give blood if you're gay but don't have sex. Very recent relaxation of rules. Used to be a ban if you'd ever had sex, now it's changed to 'within the last 1 or 2 years' I think - don't recall quite how long.)

REReader said...

That's just stupid. :( There are far more efficient and effective ways to ensure a safe blood supply.


Drowning, in that chamber-filling-up-with-water way you always get in films.

I can't imagine you'd really run into that in real life, though--think of all the time the victim would have to escape.

Greg Lestrade said...

Mmm. They have their reasons. Not that I agree with them, but there we go.

Used to be hard to come up with lies when I was a PC and my Inspector was red hot on encouraging us all to go.

Piplover said...

I'm with John on the fear of drowning, though for me it's more like if I can't see the bottom of the water it scares me. Horror movies that deal with water are the worst!

In regards to the blood giving, I think it's a stupid policy, too, RR. I won't say more as it's a family blog,and I don't think my language would be appropriate. But like Lestrade said, at least it's a baby step toward progress.

I hope you all had a wonderful time flying! I'm very jealous!

KHolly said...

The last time I was being pressured to donate blood I was relieved to find out that I was ineligible for having lived more than 6 months in Britain in the early 90s. Something about the mad cow scares going on back then I think.

I imagine that's not a question on the form any more but as I really don't like getting blood drawn (even just the little vials for normal tests) I've been quite happy to tell people I've been refused whenever there's blood drives at work and people get all pushy about it.

Desert Wanderer said...

I've always deeply disliked the idea of dying of a long-term disease, like cancer. The idea of your body betraying itself like that is just... Ugh.

Greg Lestrade said...

KHolly - you can't give blood here if you've received blood (via transfusion etc.) Since 1980 or thereabouts, because of the mad cow risk - they don't trust their own tests.

DW - whenever I'm ill I feel like my body is betraying itself. Hence me getting moody about it and refusing to admit illness. Feel like I'm giving in!

Greg Lestrade said...

(this, I'm sure the doc will agree, is why I'm such a great patient)

(actually, I think I am a good patient by the time he gets me, because I'm not well enough to resist! If I was I wouldn't be in his clutches!)

John H. D. Watson said...

You're a perfectly decent patient most of the time. I've certainly had worse.

Greg Lestrade said...

See, all you people voting 'guilty' - I'm perfectly decent!

Although I don't want to know who else you've had, Danger ;)

Anonymous said...

Greg - Do you really want us, a jury of your peers, to start listing off the reasons why we would vote you guilty in a court of the bedroom?

Besides, being guilty of being someone who is funny, punny, smart, and handsome isn't a bad thing. :)

~ A from NW

Desert Wanderer said...

I seem to remember about this time last year a certain DI who practically had to be tied to the couch while fighting some plague-like illness, yes. I don't like being sick, either. If you can still walk, you're good enough for work, right?

That does bring up an interesting question, though. If Sally hadn't told Doc, would you.have let him know you were sick last year?

REReader said...

I think of myself as a good patient.

(Of course, when I am actually I'll, I turn into a whiny 3-year-old who thinks it would be perfectly fine to go out if it's to somewhere she wants to go. But that's my alternate personality and has nothing to do with sensible!me.)

Greg Lestrade said...

DW - walking isn't essential. If I can sit up behind the desk. Or something.

Last year...if I could have got back to my flat, and successfully thought up enough excuses not to see him until I was better, then no, I wouldn't have.

A - I keep reading the second one as 'puny'. :)

Anonymous said...

Greg - sorry! One of my friends is obsessed with puns, much like you are, which range between funny and groan-inducing. We invented the word "punny" (pun + funny) to describe her. Yes, I am of the generation that abuses the English language with little remorse, though, as DW pointed out, the Queen's English has been safe from our creativity for around 235 years (give or take a few decades). =D

~A from NW

Piplover said...

I don't think I'm a bad patient when I'm sick, mostly because I hole up by myself and don't want to interact with anyone, lol.

However, sometimes I convince myself that I can still do certain things, like yesterday when I took a class at my gym, and my knee ended up going out on me and I landed on my butt.

Sensible me knows that it was a class I shouldn't have taken, but stubborn me wanted to think I could still do it and ignore the pain that was forthcoming.

It sounds like a lot of people are like that, though. Wanting to ignore the illness and pretend everything is normal until they land on their butt.

I just had the benefit of having 20 people staring at me to reinforce that I really should listen to sensible me more often.

Greg Lestrade said...

A - no problem. Don't worry, my new glasses will be with me next week, then I won't misread so much!

I shall practice my change from Clark Kent to Superman in one sweep of glasses-off-the-face, too.

Pip - I completely hear you on that one! I do something silly, hurt, get annoyed, beat myself up some more. Completely self defeating. But sensible is...sensible.

Piplover said...

Exactly! Sensible isn't always fun, and it can be so easy to convince myself that pushing things isn't going to hurt.

Of course, then I end up on the floor, set back progress I've made, beat myself up, and wonder what the heck I was thinking.

Until I do it again, lol.

REReader said...

Pip, L-- I've begun to "ask the Internet" when sick!me wants to something that the tiny little voice of sensible!me suspects may possibly be unwise. They usually shout me down...

Greg Lestrade said...

If I asked the internet I'd be in bed early every night and in ICU with every papercut.

Desert Wanderer said...

Then I'm sure Doc will agree with being grateful for Sally. And given how long you were ill, I don't know that you'd have been successful in your avoidance.

I got sent back to my room for.being sick one day, which was infuriating. Probably sensible, but infuriating nonetheless.

Doc,.try not.to roll your eyes too much at us. I've got it on reliable authority (my mother) that they'll stick that way. :P

REReader said...

Only if you asked about bedtimes and paper cuts. The little voice of Sensible!me doesn't usually object if I want to ignore a paper cut. (Or only if I'm going to handle an expensive garment before I put on a bandaid. Blood is hard to get out of silk.)

On the other hand, when I'm intending to get on the subway because it's not a HIGH fever, sensible!me thinks I should get a second opinion. :)

REReader said...

Ha! (Do they give 'em that line with the birth certificate?)

John H. D. Watson said...

DW - Doc, try not to roll your eyes too much at us

Wouldn't dare. I do it too.

Desert Wanderer said...

Lestrade, I think that's a bit unfair. There's a difference between encouraging you to go home for love and encouraging you to go to hospital. Unless you were kidding and I just misread the situation, which is definitely not outside the realm of the possible.

Fair enough, Doc. Thanks for cleaning that quote up, too. I will admit my thumbs have a fondness for the period key. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

Doctors are the worst!

RR - thing is, if I said I had a papercut, half of you would seem to believe I'd lost an arm or something.

I've never thought I had a fever in my life. Although I've been told I have...

Greg Lestrade said...

DW - honestly, I don't remember! Was I just ill, or was it when the river tried to kill me?

Piplover said...

See, when I'm sick, I'm very sensible. I don't want to get others sick, so I err on the side of caution and stay the heck away from everyone.

On the other hand, I live with a back and knee injury which only affects me, so it's very easy to say, "Well, what will it hurt if I do this?"

The answer usually is, it hurts a lot!

Greg Lestrade said...

Piplover - Quite! But if I carry on with this conversation John will be glaring at me again about the times I cut casts off my broken limbs... especially the time with the angle grinder ;)

Piplover said...

Point taken!

So how was the flying? Did you all have a good time? Is Sherlock begging to do it again, please please please please please?

Greg Lestrade said...

It was brilliant! We're currently pretending we're not noticing him still reading his book behind a fortress of bedding he's made between us.

Even after the hilarious exchange of:

John: "Sherlock, are you asleep?"

Sherlock: "Yes!" ...page turning over rustles...

He definitely wants to go again. And he wants Mycroft to come with us.

It was...odd. It felt really unstable, at first, but once you realised you weren't going to 'fall off' the column of air, it was great. I recommend it.

Anonymous said...

*points to comment above* ...and that is proof right there why we sometimes fret over you and wonder if your "paper cut" doesn't actually mean "well, I think I might need stitches for this knife gash in my arm."

Granted, you and John both are defined by professions that risk physical injury as a normal part of daily life. So while that "little scrape" for you might not seem to merit the kind of panic you see on this blog, for the rest of us... it merits that kind of panic. Plus, we're blog readers who tend to fuss and mother over the Internet. :)

~A from NW

John H. D. Watson said...

The flying was fantastic. We'll definitely have to go again when Mycroft can come along. I really think Mrs H would enjoy it too if we could talk her into it.

Greg Lestrade said...

A - I am wondering what you'll all do if anything vaguely serious happens... not that I want to find out!

Now, don't think I've heard a page turn for a few minutes...but how long to leave him to make sure he's really asleep, and not risk waking him up again? Reckon it's a judgement for a nanny to make.. ;)

CzechReader said...

Hmmm...

As for what is my fear of death, definitely being beaten or otherwise violated by humans. Because you can't reason with elements, you are either prepared or not, you can't reason with wild animals, they either attack you or not, you can't reason with illnesses or injuries, you either get healed and healthy or not, but fellow humans could be reasoned with, except in this scenario they would deny you the possibility.

I'd prefer to go without any pains in my sleep - in the next seventy or hundred years or so :-) Otherwise as fast as possible, please.

About healing, illnesses, hospitals and so on, well, my immune system is damaged. I've seen more of the hospital wards than I liked by the time I was 12 and I still fight my body every day now. Of course, having alcohol and nicotine as close friends (because if doctors already said I'm done in few years, why bother - yet here I am, twelve years after their deadline and still kicking, so no giving up now) didn't help, I admit. So I am already well-trained in following professionals' advice and listening to what the hell my system requires this time. True, when a condition is new, I can easily confuse it and ignore it - I skated for two hours and then went to a pub with my friends with a broken arm and had no idea it was broken, so really, if I can recognize something is off, I obey. If I can't... ;-)

BTW, L, I used an angle grinder in my stone cutting classes. It's heavy and cumbersome! How did you manage?

Greg Lestrade said...

It was only a 4.5inch grinder, CR, not a 9" banjo. I rested the back of the guard on the cast, plunged it in and tried not to let it snag. It was fine! (Well, it got a bit warm, in places...) Before they changed the casts to fibreglass I could just do it with hefty shears/snips.

I think as far as humans go...it's hard to explain. I suppose, for me, it comes down to having been in that situation and survived. Gave me faith in myself, I guess. Or something.

Anonymous said...

Greg - I think I speak for all of your readers when I say, we don't ever want to find out either.

I hope all three of you are well on your way to happy dreams and a good night's sleep.

~ A from NW

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm very awake, given the ridiculous hour at which I got up this morning. But having said that...I'll probably now fall asleep against John's shoulder without getting undressed ;)

John H. D. Watson said...

Getting undressed would prevent at least half of that...

Greg Lestrade said...

I'll remove the book from under Sherlock's head first, then get undressed.

John H. D. Watson said...

A delicate operation. Good luck.

Greg Lestrade said...

He'd be upset if he drooled on his mummies. Bet he's pretty tired after real flying, and then dangling from our arms 'flying' all day.

John H. D. Watson said...

Almost as tired as our arms. It was fun though, all of it.

Greg Lestrade said...

Book is removed. He didn't stir.

I can't really offer the full massage service. But if you sit up I can give you a shoulder rub?

John H. D. Watson said...

You are a wonderful person. Thanks.

Greg Lestrade said...

So are you. Sherlock, Mycroft and I are very lucky to have you.

Hey, we can listen to England vs. Italy in the Rugby on the way home. My favourite match - I can't lose! :)

John H. D. Watson said...

You can't... You have to pick one! And England's going to win.

Greg Lestrade said...

Do not have to pick one! I'm half and half. I support both!

England probably will win - they ought to - but you never know!

Greg Lestrade said...

Although, after the Scotland match...they didn't look that clever.

And if you keep trying to make me pick one, when in such a vulnerable position in front of me, I shall....


...breathe in your ear again. And then you'll howl and giggle and wake up Sleepylock. Mr 'I'm not ticklish'.

John H. D. Watson said...

All very well in theory, but not when they're playing each other! Come on, you must have a favourite.

John H. D. Watson said...

I wouldn't! And you wouldn't dare, you don't want to wake him up either. :P

Greg Lestrade said...

Why would I have a favourite? I'm exactly half and half.

I suppose...I'll be rooting for Italy, because they're improving against he odds, and England are...well, against Scotland they were mediocre. And they really don't have any excuse for that. So there you go. Italy, the underdogs. Fratelli d'Italia, L'Italia s'è desta.

John H. D. Watson said...

Fine, fine. Just be prepared when they lose miserably, that's all.

Greg Lestrade said...

Only half of me will be sad...

It's been great having you both here. But I am sort of looking forward to Sherlock having his own bedroom again ;)

John H. D. Watson said...

Ha! Yeah, sorry I spoiled your dirty weekend for you. I'll make it up to you, don't worry.

Greg Lestrade said...

You 100% didn't 'spoil' it. Don't be silly.

The dirty bit will just have to wait for another weekend.

It's just very difficult keeping my hands off you. I mean...you know what I mean.

John H. D. Watson said...

I do know what you mean. Only one more night though.

Greg Lestrade said...

Mmm.

Thought we could take a walk through the gay village tomorrow. Show you some of the sights. Hope Sherlock manages not to ask anything completely inappropriate...

John H. D. Watson said...

Right... What do you think are the odds on that?

Greg Lestrade said...

Um...okay, maybe we could ask him to only ask us questions about things he sees? And to do it quietly?...

Or just hope that he's cute enough to get away with asking anyone anything...

John H. D. Watson said...

Heh. I think it'll be all right. He is pretty cute, and people seem to realise he's sincere, which helps a lot.

Greg Lestrade said...

Mmm. Cute and sincere. Sounds like this doctor I once hooked up with...

C'mon, bed. I mean...I know we're already on the bed. But...proper bed. Lights out. I'll tuck you in and everything.

And then be over here sitting on my hands.

...that sounds worse than I intended :)

John H. D. Watson said...

I don't look nearly as cute in wings as he does though.

Right, sleep. Sleep is good.

Greg Lestrade said...

You'll have to try some wings, so I can check that.

John H. D. Watson said...

Highly unlikely. Much like Italy winning tomorrow.

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah, yeah, talk it up, Inglese.

Desert Wanderer said...

Have you guys left for home yet? Or are you still enjoying a.bit of ylholiday?

Greg Lestrade said...

We're meandering through the town. Sherlock is on my shoulders, to protect the locals from his questioning. Or to let him broadcast questions more widely...not sure which. John is holding my hand (was, until I let go to write this). All is good. If bloody cold though. Hasn't hit zero yet.

Small Hobbit said...

We got down to minus 7 early this morning, but fortunately with the sun it's warming up rapidly.

Hobbit, cheering for England.

Kira said...

may have lived here since I was 7 but am supporting Italy on the principle of Scotland and whoever is playing England!

Kira
xoxo

Post a Comment