Last week, while picking up Sherlock from school, I had a book pressed on me rather insistently by one of the mothers. (We know each other slightly and chat sometimes while waiting for school to let out; it wasn't completely out of the blue.) I took it, because she was so sure I'd love it, and because why not?
It's called Devil in the White City, and it's about the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago, and the serial killer H.H. Holmes. If I'd known that last part, I would not have brought it into the house. Sherlock is wild with curiosity over 1) not just a murderer, but one with his last name, 2) a book I'm reading that he deems worthy (i.e. contains no magic, talking animals, and isn't about boring things like people and their ordinary lives which are not cut short by sudden death).
I can't decide whether to read him the fair parts and hope he gets bored with it, or keep him away from it entirely, but he's definitely not reading the serial killer parts. It's good though. I don't know how accurate the history is, but he's clearly done his research going by the forty pages of citations at the back.
In some ways, I wish it was just about the fair. The descriptions of it, and the quotes from people who saw it at the time, are fantastic, makes you wish you'd been there. I suppose the stuff about the killings wouldn't have been so disturbing before I knew L. Not that it was ever going to be light reading, but now it's impossible not to imagine what he'd go through investigating that sort of crime.
(Also, I'm glad to see I've finally found someone who can beat Genghis Khan in the poll.)
It's called Devil in the White City, and it's about the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago, and the serial killer H.H. Holmes. If I'd known that last part, I would not have brought it into the house. Sherlock is wild with curiosity over 1) not just a murderer, but one with his last name, 2) a book I'm reading that he deems worthy (i.e. contains no magic, talking animals, and isn't about boring things like people and their ordinary lives which are not cut short by sudden death).
I can't decide whether to read him the fair parts and hope he gets bored with it, or keep him away from it entirely, but he's definitely not reading the serial killer parts. It's good though. I don't know how accurate the history is, but he's clearly done his research going by the forty pages of citations at the back.
In some ways, I wish it was just about the fair. The descriptions of it, and the quotes from people who saw it at the time, are fantastic, makes you wish you'd been there. I suppose the stuff about the killings wouldn't have been so disturbing before I knew L. Not that it was ever going to be light reading, but now it's impossible not to imagine what he'd go through investigating that sort of crime.
(Also, I'm glad to see I've finally found someone who can beat Genghis Khan in the poll.)
138 comments:
I'm waffling on whether that sounds like a book I'd like to read myself, John. (I generally skip to the end of mysteries and thrillers, and only read the rest if I like the ending. Heh.)
Are you still working at the clinic until Sherlock is done with school, or are you off for the summer now?
(I voted for Sun Tzu because I figure he could outmaneuver Genghis Khan. ;))
Sounds like a book I don't need to read.
How are you and the boys? Miss you all.
it sounds like an interesting read John but I don't think it'd be my cup of tea, i can kind of understand Sherlock's interest in it though.
Hope you've had a good day :-)
RR - it's not really a thriller. I was expecting it to be a historical novel, but it's not really; it's just entertainingly written non-fiction. And I am off for the summer, yes.
L - Miss you too. I'll read you some of the stuff about the fair. It's amazing what they accomplished in that amount of time. And I had no idea the first ferris wheel was that big.
We're doing all right. Mycroft's unpacking, I'm doing laundry and trying to keep Sherlock sufficiently entertained. He's showing Mycroft what the degus have learned since the last time he was home.
How are you?
Ah, interesting--thanks John. I do read more non-fiction than fiction (although I'm not big on non-fiction suspense either, life is tense enough!), so I'll see if the local library has it.
I hope you enjoy your summer "break" as much as the boys. :)
It sounds like the three of you are having a slightly chaotic, noisy, happy afternoon!
Okay. Running about like a blue arsed fly trying to get everything done. Last day on MIT tomorrow, then a day off, then straight onto lates with CTC.
How late are lates again?
That must be really difficult, L, hard not to end up doing both jobs I would have thought. Lates as in 6-2?
Lancs. Anon
Lates are 2-10. So you lot get me until lunch time. And Mycroft and I can plan your dinner if he wants to cook.
That was a book I really enjoyed, John...I like reading stuff that's really well researched. Although I can certainly see why you want to keep Sherlock away from the murder parts.
Good luck on the transition to CTC, Greg...
The book sounds like the sort of thing I enjoy John, I'll look out for it.
Lestrade - how does the shift rota look? From what I've seen, a decent rota can make all the difference when working shifts.
Nameless - it's not the worst I've seen. 6 on, three off, 2x2x2. Although I can imagine it might change a bit as we shake down and get used to teams, plus I've got court dates already booked.
...I would've sworn I commented about the lates, but it's not here and it's not in spam. Hm.
Anyway, basically what I said was that it sounds nice for us, as we'll get to see you more, but rather awkward for you.
Lestrade - that's not too bad; 48 hours working, then three days off, averages out the same as you do now, but over more days. Hopefully not too many quick changeovers, and some recovery time built in.
I presume court dates trump everything except an actual attack?
yeah, like I said, not too bad. I've worked the dreaded Whitham B before... and been on response that demanded 7 nights in a row, and had some horrible short-changes before.
And yes, court trumps everything. Sadly it also trumps days off...
(everything except an attack, as you said, anyway)
...just heard a rumour an officer's been shot dead in Essex. Off-duty, apparently. As if we ever are.
Hope none of you live in Clacton. If you do, be alert.
Sometimes it's hard not to see this a bloody awful world.
Lancs. Anon
God, that's awful...I hope they catch him soon.
sort of thing that makes me want to go and help.
Oh god, I saw something about a shooting on the news earlier, but I didn't realise it was a fatal shooting of a police officer :-(
(I googled that Whitham B shift pattern - that looks like it would be awful to work, and probably non-WTR compliant. I reckon your 2x2x2 pattern looks much more doable).
could you? not that lots of people wouldn't worry about you if you did but if it would make you feel better?
While the impulse is noble, Greg - I'm sure John and the boys are just happy you're not anywhere near Clacton tonight...
Nameless - it hasn't been confirmed. But being in the job, you get to hear rumours early.
Anonybob - if they need officers, they'll ask and it'll be co-ordinated. they don't need random people turning up. They've already got one of our helicopters helping.
That's all sorts of Not Good--I hope they catch the gunman quickly.
(I can certainly understand the impulse, L. Although I don't imagine it would be allowed.)
I thought that would be the case, quite relieved as well because we'd all rather you were home safe and sound :-)
The Devil in the White City got outstanding reviews when it came out, but I haven't read it yet -- I'm interested in the fair, but I don't like reading about real murders. (Fictional ones, yes if it isn't too gory, real ones, no.)
Which is probably why the news of that officer being shot worries me. I hope the guy gets caught very soon! Stay as safe as you can, L!
rsf
Yeah Greg you keep safe and keep those boys of yours safe too
L - come and sit down? I know you're worried, but I don't think pacing will help.
Sorry. You know how it is, just wish I could do something.
I know, love. I'm sorry. Is there anything I can do?
No. I dunno, maybe a hug?
As many as you like.
love you
I love you too.
Spose we better go and free Mycroft from Sherlock and put the latter to bed.
It's really great how excited Sherlock is to have Mycroft back home. :)
I'm sorry you're feeling all frustrated, L. (Perfectly understandable, of course.) From the web I gather they know who they're looking for, I hope they get ahold of him soon and safely.
I just hope he goes quietly, that's all.
Yeah.
Hey, don't you have some moose sketches/designs/drawings to scan?
PSA taken the place of a moose for tonight I think RR.
I hope they catch him soon and that you find some way to relax a little Greg :-)
(Not very distracting, that, Anony...)
I haven't read that book, but I have read about H.H. Holmes and personally, I wouldn't let Sherlock read it. He was pretty awful, even for a serial killer--he really enjoyed killing and planned his murders way too much. I often like reading about these sort of things (I have a lay person's fondness for forensics and abnormal psychology) and I found him really disturbing.
On the other hand, here's a more innocent book Sherlock might like: Raptor Red, by paleontologist Robert T. Bakker. Yes, it's a story about animals (in this case, a young adult female Utahraptor and her family), but they're just animals. They don't talk, have names (the main character is called Raptor Red because she's a raptor of a species with a red snout), or do anything animals couldn't do. It's not a children's book, although since all the characters are just animals it's not a very in-depth plot.
The wikipedia page is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raptor_Red (sorry; I don't know how to do links on blogspot).
Yeah, no worries - as I said, I have no intention of letting him get his hands on it.
I'll see if I can get him interested in the other one, thanks. It sounds good.
Sherlock might also like "The Ghost Map" by Steven Johnson. Especially since he can visit the places it talks about. There's a linked website here: http://www.theghostmap.com/
Lots of death, detection, and science, but the killer is cholera, so not quite as disturbing as a human murderer, hopefully.
I enjoyed it enough to buy my own copy, and have reread already once. I'd recommend it to you, too, John, if you've any interest in medical history.
rsf
The ghost map is interesting, but also really gross, especially at the beginning. Sherlock'll probably love it. :)
ryo
Yeah. Maybe not the book I'd recommend to most six year olds, but it wouldn't be the gross parts that would deter me. And I expect Sherlock can handle the science and detection parts of it. Might even give him some insights into why people hang onto stupid ideas.
rsf
I read the first chapter online, about picking through sewage for bones and so on. I suspect he'll love it. Thanks.
You're welcome. Best part of my job, really, finding the right book for the right reader. A bit more challenging from this distance, though!
rsf
I've read Devil in the White City, and it could have been much more graphic than it was. The author tried to keep it...as clean as possible considering the subject material. But it really is fascinating, the story of the White city and the Worlds Fair, and what it meant for Chicago and this part of the United States.
On a side note, Holmes final murders were in Irvington, Indiana, now a neighborhood in Indianapolis. I looked for a house there a few years ago, unknowing it was once a hotbed of crime. (Ku Klux Klan leader DC Stephenson had a house there, too.)
I second The Ghost Map recommendation - I get students to read it, not only because it's a fascinating read, but it's a great demonstration of the value of cartography at work (geographer here) - Jon Snow is a hero in my discipline...I think Sherlock will love it...
Glad the crisis in Essex seems to be resolved...
Am I going to arrive home tonight to a world of serial killers and dead bodies in sewage? Because I can stay at work for all that...
And Mycroft, is there anything you want all of us to do tomorrow? Your shout.
Are you off all day, or is tomorrow when you start going in at two?
Sorry, been in an interview. off all day tomorrow. The day is yours.
Can we go somewhere on your bike while Sherlock's in school? And John too, but I want to ride with you. And then maybe ice skating after Sherlock gets out?
The bones in the sewage weren't people bones, just the result of lots of livestock in London in 1854. Although that would complicate modern investigations wouldn't it? "Who killed the cow in the attic?"
Mycroft, if you've never done it, it can be fun to do the kind of guided tour a tourist to your city goes on once in a while. If you're lucky you'll get a guide who knows stuff you've never heard of, and if not you'll have fun filling in the gaps where they've left things out for tender tourist sensibilities.
rsf
(An aside--Mycroft, you are a wonderful and thoughtful brother. In case you were wondering. :))
Sorry - again.
Yes, that sounds great!
(But careful, we all know the Triumph is the better bike, but not wanting to be seen on the BMW will hurt John's feelings...)
The BMW is fine. I'd just rather wait until John has more experience to ride with him.
Good recovery. Full marks. I imagine his glare will be fully re-assigned to me from you now. :)
little faith on/of what?
In my skills of not tipping over motorcycles! Can't really blame him, I suppose. It's only been a few months.
I would definitely be happier if he let you get used to your new bike before going pillion with you.
Once man are machine are one, you can add a Mycroft to the mix.
Might escape early...
...maybe.
Maybe you can test John's skills with a pillion rider, L. A good chance to hang onto him...
I am surrounded by doubting Thomases.
Excellent. I think I'm cooking.
Doubting Gregories and Mycrofts, anyway. I'd be willing to bet Sherlock would trust you, if it meant he got to ride pillion...
You think you're cooking? I can promise you you're hot ;)
J - what do you think you're cooking?
John--Why do you only think you're cooking dinner? :)
someone else might have had other plans, but they didn't as it turns out. I'm making that beef and broccoli and garlic thing.
Ah, I see. (Well, I'm sure Mycroft will want to cook other days. :))
That sounds quite delicious... mmmmmm!
It's very tasty. And the food, too.
(What did I say now? :?)
...dunno. what did you say now?
... ?
(Try as I might, I can't see how "That sounds quite delicious" can come out as a double entendre, I just can't. :()
I was just implying that by 'That sounds quite delicious... mmmmmm! you were referring to John, not to whatever he was cooking, that's all.
Sherlock, Mycroft, thought you might like this website:
http://what-if.xkcd.com/1/
A tasty doc and delicious food sounds like the perfect combination ;-)
I hope you're all having a nice evening :-)
*facepalm*
I need a nap.
It's not bad, AnonyBob :) Hope you are too.
I'm glad you're having a good one, me too :-)
when is Sherlock's play? there's not long left at school now is there, end of term plays must be coming up soon?
Ssshhhhh, I'm trying to channel my inner Sherlock for the play. If I don't think about it or acknowledge it, it won't happen.
I have no 'king idea how I'm going to create a ride-on moose in time if it does happen.
I have perfect faith in your moose-making abilities. More to the point, Sherlock has perfect faith in your moose-making abilities. There shall be moose!
sorry. I won't mention it again I promise ;-)
could he not just carry a cuddly one? thats what we did for a camel at the nativity :-)
(that is to be read in a whisper so Sherlock doesn't hear ;-) )
Anonybob - I was thinking one of these with antlers?
http://www.greentoysandgames.co.uk/images/uploads/Hobby%20Horse.jpg
NO IT'S GOT TO BE PROPER!
Uh huh.
(This from the man who insisted on hand-sewing every sequin on a pair of wings. Ha!)
BED, Sherlock.
that looks proper enough to me Greg. :-)
Shouting sherlock? is that going to help your case?
(He's teasing, Sherlock. Just go to sleep, it'll be fine.)
(And it wouldn't be a terrible idea to say sorry for yelling, really. :))
Perhaps Mycroft can help you design a moose?
rsf
I mean, I know Sherlock's given you a design. I meant more the infrastructure of a moose.
rsf
sorry Greg I hope I didn't cause too many issues with Sherlock. I won't mention it again.
I hope he's gone to bed ok and you and John get some peace now :-)
AnonyBob - it's not like he forgets about it, don't worry.
I just honestly don't know when I'll have time to make a full moose. Or the space, to be honest.
Do Jo and Lisa have space?
A wise Doctor told me a few weeks ago that you can't make everything perfect for kids all the time and sometimes they just have to learn to cope with it. I think this might be one of those times for Sherlock.
You're a busy man and just now and then you can't invent enough hours in the day.
Lestrade - it's possibly no bad thing for Sherlock to have his expectations "managed" a bit; making a ride-on moose is no small ask.
Sherlock- don't forget, the very best performances of a play are the ones where the audience believe that what they're seeing is real because of the acting, not because of the props...
I can't find a picture of what I'm thinking of, but couldn't you do a pair of plywood moose silhouettes with a bench bit in between (for riding), maybe on a cart or dolly (which you can buy)--and the kids could paint it themselves?
(And maybe there'd be space in the yard at the school?)
AnonyBob, Nameless - I do indeed think that not having a moose for a school play is probably one of the gentler ways of learning you don't always get what you want.
RR - I expect we can manage some form of vaguey moose-like thing. It will just be far, far below his expectations.
You can remind him that he wants the audience to remember his performance, not the props. (For example, I took my niece to see Phantom of the Opera. We'll remember the chandelier forever--but I'm sure neither of us remember who the actors were! Not the effect Sherlock is going for, I'm sure. :))
And if he and his classmates do the painting (or at least the details of the painting, if you give it the basic brown), they'll have some of the credit for themselves, which generally makes people like how things come out better.
RR - no, Jo and Lisa live in a small flat, one room of which is already given over to being a darkroom.
I think Sherlock, Mrs T, John and I will be having a chat in the morning.
(Also, it won't be "vaguely moose-like", it will be STYLIZED, which is entirely different. Avant garde, even!)
Would there be space somewhere around the school, perhaps?
ReRe - I reckon you're as excited about the moose as Sherlock :-)
It's theater, Nameless! If I could've figured out a way to work in the theater without working Friday nights or Saturdays, i'd be a stage manager today. :)
You can also remind Sherlock that he'll still be having a curvy pirate sword, even if the moose is not exactly what he'd dreamed of--and the sword he can bring home after!
There are some vaguely mooselike things you could probably do with cardboard.
http://www.wonderbaby.org/articles/halloween-costume-ideas-canes-and-wheelchairs
And I know I've seen cardboard boxes with suspenders over them as the basis for horses somewhere.
rsf
Wow, I've missed all the moose-talk, but yeah, it's hard to manage their expectations and your actual abilities and time. (Says the woman who took 3 hours off work the other day to make an emergency pair of historic baseball pants in time for the weekend when his uniform plan fell through. Sigh.)
I'm always trying to fake things with no budget and no tools at the library, so cardboard, paper, and imagination are pretty much where I start. (That and descriptions or pictures of folktoys, which are frequently dead cheap to make.) But I spend Halloween each year with folks who can build period costume from scratch, so I know how much more time, space, and work it is to do things beautifully. I think Sherlock will be lucky with whatever moose he ends up with, even if he is just carrying a sign that says "moose".
rsf
Oh, I daresay L--or Mrs T--will come up with something a bit better than that, rsf. But no matter what...on with the show!
I'm waiting to see how big a part the moose has in the play, which I hope Mrs T can tell us.
I think it might be severely downgraded in quality and quantity. And probably not on wheels.
A cardboard moose I might be able to manage, if the space issue resolves itself somehow.
I've seen the Three Little Pigs done with children holding signs for scenery and it was hilarious. Things like "house" on one side and "pile of straw" on the other as the house was built and then blown down again.
But I've gotten far too interested in thinking of how to build a moose a six-year-old can ride. Distracted by thoughts of it in meetings, dreaming of it at night... It's very strange being haunted by moose! How on earth are you managing to survive, L?
rsf
If the school has a dolly for stackable chairs, you could probably mount your moose on it for a few feet of motion anyway. (Yes, I did just dream of that... And I need to go back to sleep!)
rsf
Does your days bike riding includes a wonderful lunch somewhere Mycroft?
I hope you're all having a great time and that it's drier there than here ;-)
Anonybob
Enjoy your ride today! I hope the weather is lovely for it.
Lestrade - could you answer a culinary question? (Yes, you get those from me, sorry!) I found a few recipies for oricchiette alla norcina, and I've read both to use spicy "italian" sausage (what we in the states call sausage that has fennel and garlic in it), but I've seen others that say a true alla norcina uses a plain sausage, NO FENNEL, and the heat is mostly from red pepper flakes. Your reasoned, italian opinion would be appreciated!
How did the meeting with Mrs T (and Sherlock) go, L?
I hope the three of you are having a wonderful ride/afternoon!
Maz - I fear I'm going to be of little help to you. The only orecchiette alla norcina I know uses Italian pork sausages, which are usually fairly plain - but very good quality, and there's no red pepper flakes either... it's all about the black truffle, cheese, cream, black pepper and mushrooms... I can't imagine any strong flavours would really work, because they'd ruin the truffle flavour.
Is your recipe online? I could look at it for you and see what I think? Not that it matters, as long as it tastes good.
There are two that I've found. This one is a bit bastardized, and the one my husband is interested in, because he LOVES spicy things: http://www.alwaysorderdessert.com/2011/10/orecchiette-alla-norcina-pasta-in.html
And this one, which seems closer, maybe?http://www.italiannotebook.com/food-wine/pasta-alla-norcina/
I'm not fond of fennel, and it is a bit overpowering, so I may be able to compromise a bit if I use the second recipe, with the red pepper. Thanks! (Sorry, but you speak Food language. No one else around me does! :D )
Well, neither of those are very true to the original, but I'm sure they'd both be fine. Italian cooking is a lot about twisting stuff to your own taste - as well as sticking rigidly to the knowledge that your family makes the best xyz and everyone else does it wrong. ;)
Your version sounds delicious, L. Do you have the recipe?
rsf
I don't to hand - this looks fairly decent, no mushrooms beyon d the truffles, but I'd throw a few in, if you like them. Some porcini, probably.
http://sianna-cuochi.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/orecchiette-alla-norcina-ingredienti.html
I'm out and about, so won't translate it all. But ask if you get stuck!
Oh, and if you're not making your own pasta, ignore that bit, obviously. Go from the sausage down.
It does sound good. Can we have that some time?
Go from the sausage down.
Heh.
:D
Are you all ice skating now?
We can. Just you be careful when you sbriciolarle my sausage.
I'm always very careful with your sausage.
RR - yes, or at least Sherlock and Mycroft still are. The older generation is now watching from the sidelines.
That sounds like a good day was had, all in all, yes? (It's been ages since I've gone ice skating, I should again!)
I may drag Danger back onto the ice for one last spin...
Mycroft, you clearly have superior skills as an outing planner! (No, not sarcastic--I mean that. :))
I'm assuming you all escaped the ice rink with no more than bruised bottoms ;-)
I hope you had a great time and are having a lovely evening together :-)
I did see that recipe, L, but didn't translate it. Looks fairly close to what I was thinking I would do, which is bascially skip the wine, add mushrooms, use plain sausage and red pepper for spice. What would you call it then - orichiette alla norcina diablo? Or piccante? :D Thanks for the heads up. Think I'll make it tonight, let you know how it turns out.
Glad the skating was a good time!
The recipe looks good (and clear, via Google Translate, except for "sbriciolarle".) And I have a lot of Italian bakeries and groceries here in Boston, so I may be able to find the right sausages or something close. Thank you. A nice challenge for one of my weekends!
rsf
So how was the post-bike ride/ice skating evening? Did soreness reign or (hopefully!) are you all good?
(If anyone wants a still shorter--three-and-a-half minute, in fact--quite clear explanation of the Higgs boson discovery, try this.)
Just stopping by to say I hope a good day has been had by all, with various motorcycle outings and ice-skating :)
All this talk of moose has had me thinking of this:
Homemade Animal Costumes
I think that link is a reposting of the original, which I can't find anywhere. I'd sort of love to know who did it - if nothing else then I bet he's an absolute riot at fancy dress parties.
Ha, those are brilliant. I like the ostrich especially.
I'll have to wait until I'm home to look at your link, Kate, as the library filter stopped it dead. And now I'm VERY curious indeed!
rsf
Oh, the moose one is inspired! And would totally work with motorbike gloves, Lestrade ;-)
Those are quite amazing, Kate! (I couldn't help worrying about the person inside being able to breathe, though... :D)
J - Pleased you like them! The ostrich is brilliant, and I also quite like the seal.
RSF - oops, hope I've not got you into trouble with filter blocking. They're nothing terribly salacious, just a bored person with an apparently large range of outdoors and sporting gear and a creative imagination ;)
RR - I know! I'd also quite like to know who his partner in crime was, since I *refuse* to believe that you could set the self-timer and then get into position before it went off.
Oh, no, I agree, Kate--I don't see how anyone could move with any speed in one of those costumes, certainly not get into position like that!
Post a Comment