Sunday, July 29, 2012

the moor, pt. i've-lost-count

I'm going to skip the part the Mycroft told you about, but I'll get us from where I left off to the place where Mr Hudson was holding him first. So...L and I and Sherlock got back to the house. Mr Hudson had hit Mrs Hudson and ran off with Mycroft.

Sherlock said he knew where he'd gone, and that he could lead us there. I was...not happy about that idea, but he said if we didn't take exactly the right path, we'd sink into the mud and never be heard from again. I don't think I even questioned whether it was a good idea to go at all, which you can put down to sleep deprivation and stubbornness, like most of the things I did that day.

Lestrade definitely did question whether it was a good idea to go or not. He wanted to wait for back up, which I still think was probably the more sensible choice. Despite what he says, the fact that it all worked out was more due to luck than anything else. Eventually, because he couldn't convince me not to go, he came with us, which I'm sure surprises no one here.


We took a long walk through a lot of mud. We got to a sort of island of firmer, more stony ground, on which stood a patched-up stone age hut that Mr Hudson was using. I took off my shoes so as not to make SQUELCH SQUELCH noises as I tried to sneak up on him, went up to the hut, and...well, Mycroft's told you most of the rest.

Afterward, some officious bastard in Mrs Holmes' helicopter tried to tell us that L had to stay behind (for what?) and I threatened to walk back to the hall instead...with a head wound, no shoes, and two injured children. That was obviously not going to happen, but I remember being dead serious about it, which shows you the sort of decisions I was making.

Anyhow, that also worked out, and we all few back to the hall. I cleaned up everyone's various injuries, none too serious, Mrs Hudson started dinner for us (and all Mrs Holmes' people), and L helped me get bits of rocks and things out of my feet, which was very kind of him.

Between the day, the day before, and the previous three months of insomnia, inactivity, and mental instability, I crashed directly after dinner. The last thing I remember clearly is sculpting my potatoes into the shape of a stone hut, and Mrs Hudson telling me not to play with my food.

I think around two, I woke up with Mrs Holmes in my room. We discussed terms of further employment, including moving to London and a dental plan.

Very early that morning, I got both boys in my room, asking me to stay. Which was...very nice. And unexpected.

Slightly later on, Lestrade brought me breakfast in bed, courtesy of Mrs Hudson. Among other things, he asked if I wanted to get coffee some time. Obviously, I said yes.

*

And now I'll post this and go to bed, and hopefully be up early enough in the morning to let him have a lie in while I entertain the boys.

201 comments:

1 – 200 of 201   Newer›   Newest»
REReader said...

I'm a bit speechless--that is...quite terrifying, actually, and that's with knowing it all ended well! (And I'm not in the tiniest bit surprised that the boys asked you to stay. They ARE, after all, extraordinarily intelligent people. :))

Good luck with your morning plans!

Anonymous said...

NimrudIvory: (First comment on the blog--although I've been reading it for a while ;p) That does sound like a dreadfully scary ordeal. Even though we know it ended well :) And how dare the Men in Black try to leave Lestrade behind! Glad you put the foot down there--you were already looking out for each other even though you'd just met, aww.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Lestrade -- it sounds like getting to where Mycroft was being held wasn't easy, so I'm glad you got there quickly. And I can't blame Mrs. H, or the boys!, for wanting you to stay. If you could do all that when sleep deprived, your best must be amazing. (And I'm sure Lestrade agrees!)

rsf

Greg Lestrade said...

NimrudIvory - he did indeed squelch his socked-foot right down, and give us all a taste of the Nanny Glares which were to come. He was very sweet, and slightly scary. Although I really could have walked back! It was still a lovely thing to do.

And I have just woken up, at gone 8.30, which means John is nothing short of a miracle worker. Now I've got to find them all...

pandabob said...

Why would they ever think it was ok to leave lestrade behind? That is just weird but the fact it took you such a short space of time to decide the four of you were staying together even if that meant you had to walk is really quite sweet :-)

This is a very special story thank you for sharing it with us :-)

I hope you all slept well and that Sherlock has come up with some good, close to home adventures that you can all enjoy together.

A from NW said...

John - Goodness, I mean, we all know that everyone made it out all right, but eep! You...weren't kidding about the guns and the *makes unnerved hand gestures* and Mrs. Holmes has a private helicopter? ... Perhaps I shouldn't ask questions that have no answers. :)

Greg - I'm glad to hear that you managed to sleep in today. I hope you find John and the boys soon. Have a great Sunday!

~A from NW

Anonymous said...

Had the boys had many nannies before you John?

John H. D. Watson said...

Anon - yeah, from what Mycroft's said, they had quite a few.

A - I don't know if it was her personal helicopter or one she gets to use because of her job, but either one would not surprise me.

Greg Lestrade said...

Just no super nannies.

John H. D. Watson said...

Do I get a cape?

Anonymous said...

If you'd known she had a helicopter you might have made a different decision about crossing the moor, but it sounds like Hudson and his cohorts might have gone before you got there, since the helicopter didn't show up until after all the things Mycroft told us about.

And supernannies should know better than to want capes. Haven't you seen "The Incredibles"? ;D

rsf

REReader said...

I'm sure Mrs Hudson will be happy to whip up a cape for you--Sherlock could help sparkle it up, so it would be more suitable! :)

Anon Without A Name said...

Do I get a cape?

Are you going to wear your pants on the outside?

Greg Lestrade said...

He wears his pants on the outside around the house anyway.

Small Hobbit said...

Surely his tutu needs to go on top of the pants, or is the tutu just for outdoor wear?

John H. D. Watson said...

The tutu is only for special occasions.

Greg Lestrade said...

Just for special occasions. It gets in the way doing the washing up and things, so he just wears it to inject the glamour when.needs be.

Anonymous said...

You know if John gets a cape Sherlock is going to want one. With extra sparkles.

rsf

REReader said...

Good point, RSF--better buy enough fabric for two, John!

Anon Without A Name said...

inject the glamour

Now I'm thinking sparkles...

Desert Wanderer said...

I thought that said "inspect the glamour," which would clearly be Lestrade's division.

John H. D. Watson said...

Detective Glamour Inspector is his full official title.

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah yeah glamour-nanny

REReader said...

Then he needs sparkles, too. :D

(It's weird, my eyes won't focus properly now, so I've only a vague idea of what I'm typing... :))

Greg Lestrade said...

I've got hi-viz, it'll do.

REReader said...

What's hi-viz, please?

REReader said...

Oooh, they're showing women's rowing now! (I like to see that--and I can turn the sound back on, they don't have music. :))

Desert Wanderer said...

High-visibility, RR. A la highway constructioni workers and safety yellow/orange.

I dispute your assertion, Lestrade. I doubt your hi-viz is anywhere near as glamorous as needs be. DIs who inspect glamour should follow the precepts thereof themselves. Caesar's wife and all that...

Greg Lestrade said...

I think you're mistaking me with DI Liberace, DW.

And like she said, RR, except we include anything with reflective stripes, really, not just yellow and orange.

REReader said...

Thanks, both of you. :)

*considers*

Shiny is not the same as sparkly. For Detective Glamour Inspector, you need sparkly. :D

Desert Wanderer said...

Nah, you're much more handsome, Lestrade. Thanks for the addiiton. I couldn't think of the word "reflective." Where did you end up finding your boys?

Greg Lestrade said...

They were walking the dogs - John's attempt at keeping the flat a bit calmer and quieter, I think. Which I truly appreciate. I feel almost human again after all that sleep.

REReader said...

And what did the lot of you do when you found them?

Greg Lestrade said...

Had a nice relaxing day together.

pandabob said...

That has to be the best six words I've heard in a while Greg :-)

You four have been in need for a day like that and I'm glad you've finally found time for one :-)

Ttid said...

You should have more time off Greg, take a break. All work and no play.

Anonymous said...

You know it's almost a certainty that Chinese secret service are reading this.

REReader said...

I want a nice relaxing day! (Sorry. :) but it does sound lovely!)

Anonymous said...

Anon, why on earth would the Chinese Secret Service want to read this?

Greg Lestrade said...

Nothing would surprise me...

Small Hobbit said...

Where else can you read about Captain Darling in his tutu and Police Constable Badger?

Greg Lestrade said...

Stop demoting me, you lot!

Mycroft and I just made a summer pud. Mmmmmmm.

Desert Wanderer said...

I thought you said that wasn't you?

REReader said...

Is this the summer pudding you mean? I love berries. :)

Small Hobbit said...

Was it Police Constable Badger who rode the cow?

Anonymous said...

Mooo!

Greg Lestrade said...

Anon, I can track you down and have you arrested, you know.

RR - Yeah, that summer pudding. I know of no other.

John H. D. Watson said...

L - so...a cow and a badger suit for your birthday?

Greg Lestrade said...

Sherlock, d'you want John's portion of pudding? Seems like he doesn't want any...

John H. D. Watson said...

So mean...

What do you want then?

REReader said...

RR - Yeah, that summer pudding. I know of no other.

I've never seen or heard of it before! Mmmmm, berries. :)

Anonymous said...

Mmm, looks tasty. Even for cows and badgers.

Anon Without A Name said...

a cow and a badger suit for your birthday?

Birthday suit for a birthday, surely?

Greg Lestrade said...

what do I want? Just you and the boys, that's all.

pandabob said...

there is no better way to spend your birthday than surrounded by the people you love is there Greg :-)

Is your on call finished by your birthday or will you still be restricted to London?

John H. D. Watson said...

If you're not going to tell me, I'll just have to think of........something. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

Sorry. I just don't know.

You could bake me a cake :) that'd be lovely.

John H. D. Watson said...

Oh, there will definitely be cake. Don't worry about that.

Greg Lestrade said...

but will it be cake made by your fair hand, with no assistance from others...

John H. D. Watson said...

There will almost certainly be assistance from the boys. Maybe some emergency help from Mrs Hudson.

Greg Lestrade said...

see...fairly sure I just asked for you to bake me a cake.

:)

John H. D. Watson said...

Well...if you're sure. You may regret it...

Greg Lestrade said...

Tell you what, Mycroft or Mrs H can give you verbal help. Just not actually do anything.

And Sherlock can be chief taster, because I think he's got innards of iron ;)

But it'll taste all the sweeter knowing you did it for me.

John H. D. Watson said...

Any preference as to what sort of cake?

Greg Lestrade said...

Nope. Your choice. Either one big cake, or cupcakes if you'd rather.

REReader said...

How about the cake decorating? :)

Greg Lestrade said...

That's up to John too.

Rider said...

You know it's amazing what shapes cake tins umm... come in.

For that second private cake of course. But L would know John didn't get any help for that one.

Anonymous said...

Well, he could cheat. There's a place called the London Cake Company that has some *very* interesting possibilities.

Sherlock, Mycroft, don't google that.

rsf

pandabob said...

I'm thinking a newt cake from Sherlock, a milkyway cake from Mycroft and a lovely replica of a certain bike from John ;-)

Would I be wrong in thinking that a pile of crumbs made by John would be the best present EVER Greg just because it was made by John?

I hope you all sleep well tonight before another day of fun tomorrow :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

You wouldn't be wrong. This isn't meant to be a big thing. He's just far better than he thinks he is. Whatever he does will be perfect.

Anon Without A Name said...

A true labour of love? Nice one :-)

Desert Wanderer said...

Lestrade, your chosen birthday present is to prove to the Doc how wonderful he is?!

Doc, your ban on cloning has never seemed so cruel. :(

Greg Lestrade said...

I just thought it would be nice if he did something simple that he wouldn't normally, because I know he'll do fine and...I sort of feel like you lot have all made this into a way bigger thing than it was meant to be.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't matter what we think, Lestrade, John will know what you intended. We (the commenters) do sometimes get a little over the top, sorry.

On an unrelated note Federer's supposed to be playing in the Olympic Tennis today.

Lancs. Anon

Desert Wanderer said...

i'm sorry, Lestrade. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable.

Anonymous said...

Sorry from me too -- I just got distracted by the possibilities of rude cake tins.

rsf

Anon Without A Name said...

Sorry Lestrade, John.

Greg Lestrade said...

Sorry, I'm overreacting. I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad.

pandabob said...

Are you still off today Greg or back at work?

I hope you all have a fun day whatever you're up to :-)

Anonybob

Anonymous said...

No, I think you were right, occasionally we do need bringing up short!

Hope you're all having a good day

Lancs. Anon

Desert Wanderer said...

I'd make some comment about a sharp tug on the reins, but it's too early and I've had too little sleep. Have a great day, everyone.

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah, still off. Last day before it all starts again. Still, every day off I don't get called in is a victory :)

pandabob said...

I hope the boys have lots of plans for you to make fun use of your day :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah, shame the weather isn't too clever.

Sherlock and I made a raspberry and chocolate torte, and Mycroft's done some form of sausage casserole or something similar.

John drew the short straw and did the laundry, but got to taste the chocolate mixture :)

John H. D. Watson said...

I don't mind. I sort of enjoy it in an odd way. And the chocolate in a not so odd way, of course.

Sherlock said...

I got told off for throwing a raspberry at Lestrade but it was a horrible mouldy one and he eats them because he eats everything and I didn't want it on the good ones so I threw it.

REReader said...

I do the laundry, as a rule, for my family and it is sort of satisfying. And I like the smell of bleach. :)

Mmmmm, chocolate and raspberry...

REReader said...

Next time, Sherlock, throw moldy bits of fruit to the garbage can (I think you call it a bin?). If you get it inside the bin first try, you won't even have to pick it up off the floor! (It only works if there's no lid on it, obviously.)

pandabob said...

That sounds like a great way to spend a day :-)

I think we must have better weather than you today which makes a change ;-)

Sherlock I understand your logic but you know better than to throw food don't ya?

Sherlock said...

How can he eat it if It's in the bin?

John H. D. Watson said...

L - you're not supposed to eat the mouldy ones...

REReader said...

What John said--he shouldn't eat the moldy ones! :)

John H. D. Watson said...

What do they taste like?

REReader said...

Fermented? :)

Anonymous said...

Have you got the tennis on while you're folding laundry John? Murray had an easy first set.

Anonymous said...

GGggyyyccchhhh! You eat the moldy ones, Lestrade!? I think I just lost my appetite.

rsf

pandabob said...

Assuming Greg is the rather clever and sensible human being we all know I'm guessing if doesn't really eat mouldy stuff just stuff Sherlock my not consider the best quality. ;-)

Greg Lestrade said...

Christ, I can tell none of you lot have ever gone hungry!

Most of the ones he rejects are just a bit slimy and squashed, but a bit of mould never hurt anyone! And that are truly too far gone do go in the bin. Or in a dog.

They taste very intense and full of flavour.

And well done, Sherlock for not wasting food. Just set them aside though, don't fire them at my head.

Sherlock said...

He eats mouldy bread and cheese too

John H. D. Watson said...

With mouldy bread and cheese you can cut the mouldy bit off... But he also eats kiwi skins, so I shouldn't be surprised.

REReader said...

*shudders*

I'm guessing you don't have to get shots for mold allergies, L. Mold is not always benign, you know'

(Yep, I am going "ick", Sherlock!)

REReader said...

I've eaten kiwi skins, they taste--they don't taste like much of anything, really, just fuzzy.

I read that you can't really cut the moldy bits off cheese, that the mold has tendrils throughout the cheese even if you can't see it? (Although I have done that. I didn't have enough money for much food in grad school.)

pandabob said...

People learn their food habits for lots of different reasons and Greg will have his own reasons for not wanting food wasted I'm sure of it.

Cheese is mould isn't it?

REReader said...

Cheese isn't mold, no--it's curdled milk (using acids or rennet or both). Some cheese do have molds added to the rind or throughout, but I don't eat those because I don't know which if any would be safe. (When I was tested, it wasn't that specific.)

Anonymous said...

Cheese, and most hard foods and vegetables, are able to be eaten if they have a little mold. You're just supposed to cut it off and a bit more from where the mold was. I've eaten moldy peppers before, and they're fine. You just do the same thing, cut the mold away, and a bit more from it was. Hard foods don't allow the mold to spread, so it's safe. But soft foods, like apples, bananas or bread, should be thrown away, because the mold can spread all through it very quickly, even if it's not showing signs.

And yes, I've eaten moldy bread, too, even when I know I'm not supposed to. It didn't hurt me, just tasted stale, and I haven't always been able to afford fresh stuff.

REReader said...

I was just looking it up, Pip, I got curious. :) (And I certainly had my share of skipping meals--and dinners of limp celery with peanut butter, heh. At the time I could only afford books if I didn't buy food, and books often seemed more important.)

Anonymous said...

There are a lot of different kinds of molds. I can eat cheese with molds in it, no problem, but moldy bread or fruit puts my innards into reverse -- I can't imagine being able to choke them down successfully. Not even if I were very hungry.

But different people can taste things differently. Did you know that, Sherlock? There's a whole science around it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/body/articles/senses/supertaster.shtml

rsf

Greg Lestrade said...

AnonyBob - exactly. And I'm old enough and ugly enough to know it won't do me any harm. Plus it's a good thing for Sherlock to learn, I think.

pandabob said...

I think you're right Greg :-)

Enjoy your afternoon, we're off swimming :-)

Desert Wanderer said...

Plus it's a good thing for Sherlock to learn, I think.

Better to learn when it's not impotant than when it is.

Anonymous said...

Good to learn that imperfect food is still edible, or that mold is edible? Because I'd qualify that second one. Some molds are edible by most people. Others can make a person pretty darn sick if they have allergies, or a reaction like mine. And a few are just plain poisonous. It's like mushrooms, you have to know what you're eating to be safe.

Imperfect foods, however, can be very very tasty. Peaches are best just before they turn to complete goo.

:D

rsf

REReader said...

Yep, rsf, agreed! (Well, I have no personal experience of the sort with peaches, since my mom eats them way before they have a chance to go bad, but bananas are certainly sweetest just before they go all mushy!)

Anonymous said...

Mushy bananas make the best banana bread! I'll usually let them go practically liquid before I make the bread, and it tastes soooo good. Add a few nuts, and some chocolate, and it's almost the perfect dessert bread.

Greg Lestrade said...

Imperfect food. Although Sherlock loves mould to look at, and probably knows more about it than the rest of us put together.

pandabob said...

How was the rest of your afternoon Greg? I hope its been full of fun :-)

Anonymous said...

It is rather lovely under a microscope, isn't it? I'm surprised then that Sherlock didn't keep the raspberry for proper examination. Or do you put a limit on how many molds he can have in the house at once?

rsf

Greg Lestrade said...

He said he's seen it before. He prefers to grow his own. John wages a running battle to keep it in appropriate places and at appropriate levels.

AnonyBob - dunno. You know when you have a gloomy feel for no reason? That's me this afternoon.

pandabob said...

I'm sorry about that Greg :-( this conversation can't have helped that either I'm guessing.

I know it is very unlikely that there's anything I can do to help you feel better but if there is the offers there :-)

I hope you feel brighter soon :-)

REReader said...

I'm feeling a bit gloomy, too, but I have a specific reason--I'm just back from the dentist. On the bright side--the pain that's been bothering me for the past several weeks isn't a cavity, it's exposed bone (probably because of orthodonture in my youth). On the gloomy side, I do have a cavity on the other side and I have to go back for that. :(

Don't you all have a hot-air balloon ride to schedule? That should be enormous fun. And isn't Nicky and her family coming to London soon?

Greg Lestrade said...

Cheers AnonyBob, and yeah. I dunno, sometimes I feel like it'd be far easier to not blog about anything that isn't work or whatever, like Sherlock wanted originally.

RR - John does have a hot air balloon ride to sort for whenever he wants for us all - weather permitting.

Nicky's going to come later in the holidays - no point with the Olympics on.

REReader said...

Only 10 days left to the Olympics! That's no time at all. So there's two nice things to look forward to in the immediate future. :) (I'd add your birthday, but you seem a bit ambivalent about that. Still, there will be cake!)

And you blog about what you want, when you feel like! We're good, no matter what.

pandabob said...

I'm sorry you feel like that Greg :-( I know people don't mean to cause you upset they just don't think quite carefully enough about the effect of the words.

Personally I like to know things other than work and I try to think carefully about what I say about stuff like that but I could understand if you decided to keep things to yourself more.

Greg Lestrade said...

Paralympics is on until the 9th September, although I hope they'll come over anyway.

I just seriously wonder what some of you think of me sometimes. Don't know if I just don't project myself well on here or what.

Greg Lestrade said...

AnonyBob - I don't always. I'm sure this is such a habit now I won't really change. Just my mood talking.

pandabob said...

The last few days must have been a pain Greg and I can understand you feeling off with it.

You are a fully grown up very clever and sensible man and when anyone here actually thinks things through they know that they just forget that you are a product of your experiences just like the rest of us.

Anon Without A Name said...

Dunno what anyone else thinks (we're not a hive mind :-p), but I think you're bloody fantastic, and I wish some of my friends were more like you. Same goes for John; if I had more people like you guys in my life, I'd probably feel a lot better about... oh, lots of stuff.

I'm certain that we don't all project ourselves well on here at times (I know I don't), and I'm sorry if I've said anything that's contributed to your mood slump.

I know that messages of support from internet strangers aren't worth the paper they're printed on, but, for what it's worth, this is one.

Small Hobbit said...

Don't we all get days like that? This may give you a wry smile. Son brings bike over for his dad to try out. Dad does so and then looks in panier. Discovers MOT certificate. Oh look, it's just run out. Phones son. "Dad could you sort it out, please."

Greg Lestrade said...

Nameless - thanks. It does mean a lot, things like that. Having a guy like John in my life certainly made a big difference.

SH - I can imagine Sherlock doing something just like that. Paperwork, he tells me, is boring.

REReader said...

Here's something I thought might interest you, L & J...

pandabob said...

Have you eaten your cooking from earlier gentlemen? I can see why 'run more' is a necessary aim for you all given how much lovely food you make :-)

I hope a relaxing evening does you all some good :-)

Anonymous said...

You amaze me daily Lestrade, I don't know how you are such a lovely and caring guy given how life has been for you at times. Reading some of the stuff on here today made me feel very sad that people didn't think quite hard enough about who they were talking to/about because no one who writes things here would ever want you to think you were anything other than amazing I am sure of it.

HM

REReader said...

I can't see where I said anything that could be taken as an insult or offensive, but I can promise that certainly was not my intention, so I apologize, sincerely.

(Not thrilled with being called spoiled or wasteful, myself, you know--that hurt. Because I'm definitely neither, and never have been.) (No, I'm not looking for an apology, I'm just explaining.)

pandabob said...

I could explain it to you RR but I would hate to upset Greg any further by doing so, it's all about personal experience and how they shape people's perceptions of the world and the things they do.

We're all different and view things differently thats what makes the world interesting ;-)

Desert Wanderer said...

Lestrade, when you're making up a recipe, how do you choose when to use dark chocolate vs. milk chocolate? For example, I would assume raspberries mean dark, but I couldn't tell you why or whether that's right.

Anonymous said...

I know about feeling gloomy for no reason. Although it's worse when I have a reason. Or find out later that it's because I'm coming down with something. Which I probably am, drat it, because I'm supposed to be storytelling on Thursday.

Personally, I think you come across as a caring person, a great cook, a dedicated police officer, and a lot of other complimentary things. And occasionally you do things that surprise me, or that I wouldn't do, but hey, that's half the fun of the world. If everyone were the same it would be boring.

rsf

Desert Wanderer said...

Also, I don't feel I explained myself well earlier. I meant better that people learn to overcome whatever unreasonable food aversions they have while the food is plenty, than be trying to learn it when food is scares.

If I contributed to your less-than-jocular mode, I apologize. I was...in a bit of shock at the time, I suppose. If one can be in shock for non-physical reasons.

Greg Lestrade said...

If one can be in shock for non-physical reasons.

In my experience, people certainly seem to be able to. I know I've felt as if I have been.

I hope you're okay.

My less than jocular mood is nothing to do with anyone here. Just one of those moods that comes from nothing.

REReader said...

If one can be in shock for non-physical reasons.

Has this to do with the pulling rank problem, DW?

Everyone is entitled to their moods, L. Just wish I could help you get rid of this one. (What did you think of the electric motorcycle? I'd imagine it'd be pretty close to silent.)

Greg Lestrade said...

RR - It wasn't really my style. I thought it was fairly brutally ugly. But the electric technology for bikes is amazing now. The TT Zero gets better every year.

Anon Without A Name said...

You OK DW?

Desert Wanderer said...

No, RR. I managed to solve that problem without pulling rank.

Today, at 1330, my boss pulled me into his office and said "The general is pulling you up to work for him. You start this afternoon. Actually, you were supposed to have started yesterday." And so, just like that, I'm yanked from my team, from the major project we were working on, from my trip next week to Nevada, and sent to a painful perdition of piles of paperwork without a chance to say goodbye or finish any of the things I was working on with the added benefit of being late to a job I knew nothing about. My team is angry and frustrated, my projects are unfinished, and I am resented for being the youngest officer and still put in that slot.

So, I'm alright, in short. Just feeling...untethered.

Greg Lestrade said...

Wow.

Well, we're here, where you left us...

Good luck with it all.

pandabob said...

Good luck with that DW it sounds like an interesting position to be in if nothing else! :-)

REReader said...

Yoiks, DW! I mean, it makes it very clear you've been doing everything very right, but you'd think you'd get a couple of weeks--or at least a couple of days!--notice. I don't see how you could feel anything but discombobulated.

I'll have to look that model up, L. (The video popped up when I let TED pick one for me; a motorcycle intro seemed oddly apt. :))

Greg Lestrade said...

It's a race, not a model, RR. I expect there are YouTube videos of it.

Anonymous said...

Good luck, DW. I'm sure scuttlebutt will get around to what happened, and your team will understand. It's not easy losing a good officer from your team, but it's not you could say anything.

I miss the Army, but I don't miss the BS that went with it.

pandabob said...

late tomorrow Greg? I hope it's reasonably uneventful

I hope you all sleep well when you get there :-)

REReader said...

Ooh, interesting, L! I'll definitely search for the race on YouTube. :)

Anonymous said...

DW, that sounds like a perfectly adequate reason to be in shock to me. I know when I had to make the hard choice of leaving a place I'd worked for seventeen years without saying goodbye to the kids I'd worked with I felt like I was wrapped in cotton wadding for weeks. I hope you discover a good reason why the general wanted you in particular, and soon.

Greg, I was thinking about today a little, and I realized that I sometimes explain things too much. It's partly because of the librarian thing, and partly because I can never forget that Sherlock and Mycroft read the blogs, and I've stumbled over the odd gaps of knowledge that even smart kids have too often. But it can be pretty condescending to grownups, and I'm sorry.

rsf -- who will try to restrain herself in future...

(...not that it will probably stop me from pointing out links I think might be of interest to the boys... Sherlock, did you see this news about protecting newts a few days ago? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-18926354 )

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah, lates.

Sleep.... is proving hard to come by.

REReader said...

:(

Got anything dull to do/read? Wanna talk about something dull?

Or you could try taking an antihistamine--it's a last-resort option for me, because I won't take sleeping pills, they makes me feel like I haven't been asleep. But the anti-histamines just make me a little sleepy--and help me breathe better, which is an issue this summer.

Desert Wanderer said...

Yeah, lates.

lol I thought you'd gone all gangster on us for a second, as in "Lates, y'all. Peace out."

Anonymous said...

No paperwork to lure you into a state of somnolence, then? Maybe you can get your guitar out with the headphones. Music having charms to sooth etc.

rsf

pandabob said...

I hope sleep came at some point Greg and that you manage a little bit of a lie in this morning :-)

Small Hobbit said...

Wow, DW, I can understand the shock. Hope it goes really well once you've a) recovered and b) got to grips with what you're doing.

I've just changed part of my job (which I'm very pleased about) but although I've finished doing one part I still have to go back and do some of it; and hardly anyone's been told that I've moved.

Anon Without A Name said...

DW - that does sounds disconcerting :-(

Lestrade - hope you will have managed to get enough sleep before work this afternoon.

Greg Lestrade said...

Got a bit, thanks. Was up before Sherlock this morning, which doesn't happen much if Im not on earlies. He wants headphones for his violin now.

Desert Wanderer said...

Do they make headphones for traditional violins? Or would it have to be an electric one?

Sherlock, what does your violin look like?

REReader said...

Maybe you'll be able to make up for it tonight.

And Sherlock wanting headphones is very thoughtful, no? Is it that you want to practice in the morning when you wake up, Sherlock?

pandabob said...

did you wake up eager for the day Greg? I always find the mornings I am awake early of my own accord are the most productive :-)

Mycroft or Sherlock are you having a fun day? I'm hoping yours is more exciting than doing laundry today John ;-)

Sherlock said...

No so I can play at night when i don't want to go to bed like Lestrade

REReader said...

Well...it's an idea, but before you get the headphones, it might be a good idea to see if John and Lestrade are okay with you doing that. (I have no idea whether they'll think it's okay or not, but it does make sense to find out before buying headphones. :))

Anonymous said...

Sherlock, you might already have a practice mute which can make your acoustic violin a lot quieter, but if you save up your money you can get something like this:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/strings/silentviolins/sv_200/?mode=model

But first you should research it, and see if there are any stores you can go to to try it and see how it works and whether it's too awkward for you until you get bigger.

Even if John and Lestrade don't want you to play it when you should be sleeping, it would still make it easier for you to practice while other people are watching television, or at the same time that Lestrade is practicing his guitar.

rsf

Greg Lestrade said...

RR - he hasnt got an electric violin, and if he needs to do something quiet when he can't sleep I think readingis more likely to make him sleepy than playing, probably. Have to see what John thinks. But if he wants to save up for an electric violin then he can.

RSF - he does have a practice mute, and he hates it :) he likes being loud! He just knows I can be loud to me and almost silent to the rest of the room, and he'd like some of that.

John H. D. Watson said...

He just knows I can be loud to me and almost silent to the rest of the room, and he'd like some of that.

Exactly. Which he does not need to do while he should be sleeping. The way he plays is not at all conducive to sleep.

Anonymous said...

He'd probably be happy to know that even though they call them "silent" violins, they're not entirely silent, then.

I think being able to be loud to himself and quiet to the rest of the room would be a real advantage, as long as he doesn't decide to start singing along.

My current co-worker is a music librarian by training, and just Monday I heard him recommending this site:

http://www.maestronet.com/

for violin questions. Sherlock can start his research there.

rsf

Greg Lestrade said...

That's what I thought you'd say :)

Sorry, not on duty anywhere you can come and visit today. Doing more surveillance.

REReader said...

I didn't say it was something Sherlock should do, I said it was something he should check with you two before doing--I have no idea whether playing music calms him down or revs him up, everyone is different that way! (And I noticed he said it was for when he didn't want to sleep, not for when he couldn't...)

(I know they can and do attach mikes to acoustic guitars and violins, maybe they can do headphones, too? It's not something I've ever had reason to look into personally.)

John H. D. Watson said...

RSF - those are beautiful violins though. They look like sculptures.

L - damn, I was going to take more pictures...

Anonymous said...

Are you watching Federer, John? He's on just at the moment.

Lancs. Anon

John H. D. Watson said...

Unfortunately, no. I've barely seen any of the tennis, and we're out at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Well, I won't spoil it for you, in case you can catch the match on iplayer later!

Lancs. Anon

Greg Lestrade said...

The thing is, acoustic instruments will always make noise. Putting an amp on one is fine, but you can't silence it and put the noise into headphones.

Like I said, he can look at saving up for one, if it's what he really thinks he wants after researching it.

Anonymous said...

John, they are lovely, aren't they? Almost make me want to take up fiddling.

My co-worker says that the more wood in the violin, the louder it is, despite the headphones, so you'd probably hear Sherlock if he tried to play when he was supposed to be sleeping. But it's still a thought for times when he should be practicing without disturbing the neighbors during the day, I suppose. Depends on what Sherlock finds out about them.

I hope you all have an excellent day, and John will be able to watch the tennis when you get home.

John H. D. Watson said...

Lancs. Anon - just tell me if he loses, so I'm prepared.

Greg Lestrade said...

We can watch it together if you want, when I'm home?

John H. D. Watson said...

L - Really? That would be lovely, thanks. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

Course. Just save me some pudding. Mycroft said he was planning something and wouldn't tell me what.

John H. D. Watson said...

He won't tell me either. Sherlock's going to help though.

Greg Lestrade said...

I won't get any if Sherlock helps! No one will :)

John H. D. Watson said...

Ha. I'll try to supervise...

REReader said...

You're a very brave man... :D

Small Hobbit said...

I would imagine that if anyone was capable of ensuring Sherlock didn't eat all the pudding it would be Mycroft.

Anonymous said...

The best plan would be to make lots and lots of pudding, then, right?

rsf

pandabob said...

Wet surveillance or dry surveillance Greg? I hope it’s proving useful :-)

Have you discovered what Mycroft is secretly planning yet John? I guessing you’re not actually allowed to tell us anyway because that would ruin the surprise for Greg wouldn’t it. (I’m a bit stupid sometimes sorry)

I hope you’ve had a fun afternoon and that a lovely evening is ahead of you :-)

John H. D. Watson said...

I am also not allowed to know, or supervise apparently. I've been banished to the sofa. But it smells like chocolate.

pandabob said...

well if you're being forced to sit on the sofa I hope you're doing something really selfish with the few minutes you've got to yourself ;-) chocolate can't go far wrong can it?

Greg Lestrade said...

Chocolate is a pretty safe bet in our house.

Hope you're relaxing, Danger.

REReader said...

There's nothing bad about chocolate!

(Everything is showing up bold here, too. Is it everyone, or just me?)

Greg Lestrade said...

Anonybob - surveillance dry and now nicely cool. Only slightly smelly. And I get to sit down. So all in all, not bad.

pandabob said...

sounds almost like luxury ;-) did anyone pack you any treats today, you know the sort that make time move that little bit quicker?

Anon Without A Name said...

ReRe - nothing's looking bold here for me.

John - I'm jealous, I wish I had someone making me a chocolate dessert :-(

Lestrade - Only "slightly" smelly? A definite improvement from the compost heap, then? :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

John packed me the catalogue with all his old underwear modelling in it, yeah.

REReader said...

Thanks, Nameless--it's a font issue. I have to turn off ArialMT (ugly thing!) because it's conflicting with a font I need for the job I'm working on, so I'm going to have to live with it for now.

L--It's good to have something educational to read. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

Nameless - bit musty. And Slightly like the smell of detergent that ends up seeming like it smells more like piss than the original piss did, you know?

Greg Lestrade said...

RR - there aren't any words. Just looks.

pandabob said...

that was good of him ;-)

(not asking about piss that sounds horrid!)

REReader said...

I'm sure both looks and Looks are quite educational...

Anon Without A Name said...

Lestrade - oh, ick, yeah I know exactly what you mean. Lovely for you...

«Oldest ‹Older   1 – 200 of 201   Newer› Newest»

Post a Comment