After Sherlock's exciting announcement that he got blood on the ceiling from the cut on his finger, I feel the need to point out that it was only because he was waving it around so wildly. There was also blood on the floor, cupboard, Mycroft, and one dog.
It's sunny for the moment. It's supposed to rain later I think, so we're off to swim while we still can. It's meant to be hot today, and it's fairly warm already. (To those inclined to scoff at our weather, the high is meant to be 31C/88F, which is hot nearly anywhere.) The coloured sunblock is a huge hit with Sherlock, who is painting stripes all over himself right now. I'm going to have a hard time getting him to put a shirt on until we get to the pool, I think. Not to mention keeping him from getting pink, red, and orange stripes on the sofa before we leave.
...And I see the dogs are slightly striped as well. Right, going to wash off dogs now and then to swim, and then who knows.
It's sunny for the moment. It's supposed to rain later I think, so we're off to swim while we still can. It's meant to be hot today, and it's fairly warm already. (To those inclined to scoff at our weather, the high is meant to be 31C/88F, which is hot nearly anywhere.) The coloured sunblock is a huge hit with Sherlock, who is painting stripes all over himself right now. I'm going to have a hard time getting him to put a shirt on until we get to the pool, I think. Not to mention keeping him from getting pink, red, and orange stripes on the sofa before we leave.
...And I see the dogs are slightly striped as well. Right, going to wash off dogs now and then to swim, and then who knows.
50 comments:
See, double standards, readers. Sherlock and the dogs get coloured sunblock, but when I put some on in a very fetching pattern I got an eyeroll from the doc. And when I tried putting some on him I got a full 'Lestrade!' And a glare. Huh.
You were trying to paint hearts on me!
Swimming sounds like a brilliant idea :-) are all the colours the same factor Sun cream or will you have a Sun striped Sherlock when you get back?
But hearts are very appropriate! *ducks*
(Since he didn't need stitches, I did assume no major spurting had taken place. But blood on the ceiling--and floor, cupboard, Mycroft, and one dog--is very impressive!)
Anonybob - I did tell him to start with a base layer of the normal stuff...I probably should've checked that he actually did that because being striped from the sun sounds exactly the sort of thing he'd love.
A bit painful, though. (Having very fair skin myself, I know whereof I speak. Sunburns HURT!)
Yes, which is why I need to check.
Heh, yes--I know you know! But I'm not sure Sherlock knows--I hope he doesn't from personal experience, anyway. ;) Red and peeling skin is interesting, but it is NOT worth it!
I wasn't thinking to the point of burnt John just sort of zebra stripes of different shades of brown ;-) I hope he'd done as you'd asked :-)
Sherlock is a stripy menace to all swimmers now. I showed him that you could do a front roll in the air as you dived to go in feet first.... he's landed every way up possible so far. More water is out the pool than in.
John - all the cool kids have hearts around their nipples!
Ha! You'll have him in Olympic trials in no time! :D
I know sunburn hurts because it's a burn and they always hurt it's obvious and I did a proper flip into the pool all the way.
You're a very clever boy Sherlock for lots of reasons but certainly for being able to do a proper flip :-)
Can mycroft do flips or is he more of a swimmer than a player?
You sound to be having a really good time :-)
We've had about two days of sunshine this summer and L already looks like he's been in the south of France since February...unfair.
Lots of people don't know that a sunburn is a real burn, Sherlock, so good on you for correct reasoning. :) And a big YAY for a proper flip!!
But it's called a burn, the sun is REALLY hot and it makes you red and hot and even have blisters so those people are stupid
All right, Kiddo, we get it. Calm down now.
What do you want for dinner?
You are 100% right, Sherlock! But nevertheless, I cannot even count the number of times I have given someone with a sunburn some burn cream to put on, only to have them say, "But that's for burns!" And I say, "Yes, and you have a burn," and they say, "But it's not a REAL burn!" (And some of them were really smart people, too.) *sigh*
It's just that different smart people are smart about different things. And there's nothing to be done about it.
(Don't worry, John, I wasn't treating anyone with really serious burns, just a bit red-and-peeling!)
Whilst John is just about the most caring person I've ever met, RR, I think even he can hold off worrying about things like that.
Mycroft was content not to flip into the pool, AnonyBob - I think he finds it all a bit uncouth, the way Sherlock (and I) chuck ourselves about.
Danger - don't be jealous! These genes are the only decent thing my dad gave me!
Good. :) (I do know better, that's all!)
Are you all home again now?
I can understand that Greg. I can't believe you have the energy for it given your lack of sleep this week ;-)
I hope you all have a nice relaxing evening and a good, long, proper nights sleep :-)
AnonyBob - I did doze off this morning a bit. And knowing I've got a proper sleep tonight helps.
That and coffee.
Did you ever make frozen coffee on s stick?
No but can we please John and Lestrade pleeeeaaase?
Oh 31C sounds wonderful - it's 41 here today...too hot even for a trip to the pool. It sounds like you gents are having a very fun day...doing flips into the pool would be a wonderful way to spend a warm, summer day...
And John, I totally empathize about the tan thing...my half-Italian, half-Basque Mr I goes walnut-coloured by late April, and stays that way until about November - I just go red and peel if I don't wear SPF 50.
Hope you all have a great evening and a good night...did you ever get an answer re: dinner?
Totally know how you feel, John, re: Lestrade's tanning. My husband is the same - tans beautifully dark with hardly any burn - until he takes his shirt off and the parts that rarely see sun get toasted. Heh.
I'm a fragile, freckled, fair flower in the sun, and I completely crisp if I don't slather on the sunscreen. I think my son is turning out the same way, poor kid, though he's much less freckled, and his tan is quite lovely - nice and golden brown with fair hair and blue eyes. No wonder he comes home saying he's got "a thousand girls on [his] tail!" :)
Hope you enjoyed all the splashing about! We're doing the same Saturday - before all of the public pools are close around here next weekend. We still have all of August to get through!
Sherlock - if we do, you're having decaf. Maybe some frozen fruit juice instead?
Maz - why would they close the pools in the middle of summer?
I think because the city schools start on August 6 (we're on what's called a "balanced calendar") they think they won't get the crowds, but for heaven's sake, it's really, really hot this year and will be through September!
Sherlock, I can make some coffee and banana lollies, but as John says, it'll be decaf.
Can you put chocolate in them?
Is that a cost-cutting measure, Maz? (Although if it is, it is REALLY short-sighted.)
Banana-mocha sounds really good, even to someone who is not a coffee fan--mmmmmm!
I bet you could make cocoa lollies instead of coffee ones. Chocolate banana ones sound good, not I may have to make some, lol.
I think so, RR. That's the claim, anyway. I sent an email to the administration pointing out a) that's stupid and b) the world doesn't revolve around school schedules. Except I was much more polite.
Except I was much more polite.
Always a good way to be paid more attention to. :) (Except you nullified that by speaking truth. :D)
A chocolate covered banana sounds good. In fact it sounds like it has all sorts of possibilities.
The annoying thing about this weather is that it didn't just get 10C hotter in less than a week, it's going to get about 10c colder again by next week. I think I might just hibernate until winter...
Another one here who burns like a burning thing, with a partner who tans to moment he looks at the sun.
Good to hear you all had a good day swimming :-)
Has anyone else heard about this unconfirmed hack of the Iranian nuclear program? If true, all I can say is... AC/DC? Seriously, is that the best hackers can come up with by way of weapons-grade annoying music? :D
(I mention it because I thought you could come up with some better suggestions, L!)
Sherlock, the stripes sound very cool. Now I want some the next time I go sailing. (I don't burn unless I'm near water.)
Did you ever invent that recipe? I'm still curious about it. I'm not curious about frozen coffee though, because coffee makes my stomach upset.
rsf
RR - I imagine it was more because of the lyrics and the fact it's a very good song to have come on at high volume and blast out of the speakers than because it was annoying.
You're all very lucky to have tanned partners ;) but I can assure you those bronzed Gods are also feeling very lucky to have you pale pink things, if they're anything like me :) (Mycroft and John are in some sort of race to who can get freckles the fastest. I think Mycroft's winning.)
(I still think something like Alvin and the Chipmunks would have been more effective. But maybe that's just me. :D)
I don't tan and I don't freckle, I just burn. So I stay out of the sun and/or slathered in sun block. :) (The younger of my sisters freckles, though--it's very cute!)
Most aren't lestrade. You and John are so lucky to have found someone who loves you as much as you love them.
RR - I think you're missing the point of having been 'Thunderstruck'.
Anon - Most aren't what? If they aren't feeling lucky to have any of you, then they're deluded. You all seem very nice (well, with the odd notable exception.)
RSF - I've posted Sherlock's recipe, as best I can remember it, for you all.
Heh. Probably so! (But I'm sort of distracted by wondering if it's true.)
I'm very lucky in that I'm on the tan spectrum, rather than the burn end. And if I do burn, I turn tan overnight. My sister, on the other hand, burns if she so much as looks at the sun.
I'm glad John found you, Lestrade, and you've found John. You're rather a bit of ying and yang!
L, Thank you for the recipe. It really brightened my day. But I still think ice cream is easier. Did you make the gooseberry kind you were talking about?
Have a lovely night of being able to be in bed tonight. Whether you sleep or not!
rsf
RR, one of my best friends from High School works in Israeli military intelligence (as his army service) and apparently the Stuxnet viruses Iran had in their nuclear computers a few years back is one of the worst-kept "office secrets". Officially, the Israelis know nothing, on-record, some people got some pretty big bonuses that year :)
Makes me wonder if they/he had anything to do with this one, true it's not his division but he always did like AC/DC! :P
Jaws--heh heh heh!!! (Nothing, we know nothing!)
sorry very late reply, yes that's what I meant Lestrade. You realy are a lovely man being nice to us lot and saying something so lovely.
could you run classes in being nice to people?
Post a Comment