Wednesday, August 1, 2012

chocolate surprise

I'm scheduling this to post later so I can write about Mycroft's dessert and still make L taste it with his eyes closed, which is my current plan. It's chocolate cake with with a whipped ganache filling and frosting. Ganache is cream with chocolate melted into it, and this also had coffee, and apparently if you chill it you can whip it like whipped cream. It was both impressive and delicious, very rich and smooth, and extremely chocolatey. I think L will love it.

He's volunteered to watch Federer's match with me. Can't decide if I'm finally winning him over and he's actually interested, or if he just wants to eat cake and doze on me while I watch it. Both options sound pretty good to me, so I don't mind either way.

Today was quiet. We didn't go anywhere particularly exciting, just a long walk with the dogs. Mycroft walked them, and I walked Sherlock. Still considering investing in a leash for him, especially with his by no means new, but still exciting, tendency to stop complete strangers on the street and ask them questions. At least he's more polite about it these days.

'Excuse me ma'am, why are your shoes so high?' is probably better than simply demanding an explanation for her high heeled trainers, although not, perhaps, any easier to answer.

We went to the cheese shop, and the butcher, who gave us bones for the dogs, and to a shop that only sells only various chocolate products, of which we bought many. They have bins full of different kinds of cocoa powder. I didn't know there were that many kinds.

And then we came home, and Mycroft set to work on his dessert, and I put my feet up and listened for sounds of mutiny from Sherlock, of which there were, amazingly, none. 

40 comments:

Greg Lestrade said...

Mmm, it was beautiful.

Well done, Mycroft. For both cooking and small-brother-wrangling.

I don't think I'll ever fit in another thing to eat ever.

pandabob said...

that sounds like a lovely day and a delicious pudding :-)

Enjoy the tennis and a lovely evening together.

Kholly said...

Good days don't have to be particularly exciting. Long walks, chocolate, and tennis on the tele and L on the couch sounds like a very good day indeed.

REReader said...

I'm with you, KHolly, that sounds like a really wonderful day! And mmmmmmmmm, that sounds amazing, Mycroft!

...okay, I have to ask. Why WOULD someone wear high-heeled sneakers?

Greg Lestrade said...

Fashion, I presume. I haven't seen anyone in any for a long time.

Anonymous said...

That store sounds incredibly tempting. And I just came across a news article saying that the hoteliers in London had to drop their prices because they weren't getting the Olympics boost they thought they would, so the temptation factor is pretty high. Too bad I can't put three days together without missing something important at work!

Mycroft, you are turning into an amazing cook. I hope Sherlock was a good helper for you!

rsf

rsf

REReader said...

It sounds hideous! (Which, I freely admit, doesn't mean they're not fashionable, but I thought this summer the style was for flats. :?)

John H. D. Watson said...

L - I don't think I'll ever fit in another thing to eat ever.

I feel the same. Except possibly for one more piece of cake.

Greg Lestrade said...

...I might have had a gorgonzola and buffalo burger at work. And fries. Possibly.

I seriously couldn't fit more cake in.

pandabob said...

there is always room for cake Greg, you go for it John, your cake stomach is there far a reason ;-)

Your work tea sounds lovely as well Greg, I'm glad work had it's highlights today :-)

John H. D. Watson said...

That sounds...amazing. Where did it come from? We should eat there some time.

Greg Lestrade said...

Mmm. It was a toss up between that and the wild boar burger.

I'll take you there sometime.

To the burger bar, not to the stinky stakeout house.

Anon Without A Name said...

ReRe - high heels never go out of fashion :-)

John - sounds like a perfect day, especially towards the end.

Mycroft - I'm continually impressed with your cooking skills, and with your willingness to cook for the family :-)

John H. D. Watson said...

Nameless - yeah, good day, but the end has definitely been the best part.

L - yes, the burger bar sounds preferable. You don't smell, you'll be happy to know.

Greg Lestrade said...

Good.

Although I will still love you when we're old and smell of wee together ;)

can't believe you're talking about eating when you have a boyfriend who may explode next to you. I look pregnant. I think I feel pregnant.

Wake Sherlock...

Mazarin said...

I think I feel pregnant.

If it starts moving, call 999. Or MI-6. I don't think even Doctor Danger could help you with that.

John H. D. Watson said...

If it starts moving after a few hours, it's probably a face hugger from Aliens.

Greg Lestrade said...

Ah well, you're the one it'll go after, if you're in bed next to me.

REReader said...

If it starts moving after a few hours, it's probably a face hugger from Aliens.

This reminds me of my sister's favorite labor story: It's her first baby, and she's waiting for a room, and an intern comes over to do a sonogram to make sure everything is okay. And my niece apparently gives a good hard kick, very visible, and the intern's eyes go wide and he looks at my sister and says, "Have you seen the movie 'Alien'?"

(Nice bedside manner! Fortunately, my sister thought it was hysterical. :D)

John H. D. Watson said...

L - that's all right, it'll have to eat through a layer of cake to get to anything vital.

Greg Lestrade said...

Then it'll be sated and full of chocolate, fall asleep, and before morning Spider will have webbed it and be looking to eat it.

Perfect.

Desert Wanderer said...

Sounds lovely, Mycroft. Well done!

pandabob said...

Do you have Sun or rain for your morning fun time boys? Whichever it is I hope you're all having great fun ;-)

Ria said...

Good morning, everyone!

Mycroft, that cake sounds absolutely delicious, especially the whipped ganache frosting. Do you have cooking facilities at school to practice with, or do you have to eat what you're given?

(People who aren't curious about commenters' personal stuff, scroll away now: I'm back! I was busy with everything from starting a catering business to Gregorian chant conferences, and now I'm in the midst of preparing for a possible trip to China, but it's lovely to catch up with the blogs and all of you. I hope to be around for more frequent commenting in the future.)

Greg Lestrade said...

I like a bit of gregorian chanting. Any recommendations?

Obviously many things gregorian are superior ;)

And welcome back.

pandabob said...

Hi ria :-) sounds like a very interesting time you've had :-)

It's Nice the 'meet' you :-)

Anonybob

Anonymous said...

Calendars, chants and coppers, all definitely better when Gregorian. ;D

Although I admit the first thing that came into my mind when you mentioned Gregorian chants was this:

http://www.amazon.com/Grunt-Pigorian-Chant-Snouto-Domoinko/dp/0761105948

And now I need to go find my cd.

rsf

Ria said...

I thought it self-evident that all things Gregorian were naturally superior. ;)

If you're looking for the sort of stereotypical "bunch of blokes singing exactly the same thing" (I believe that's the technical definition of Gregorian chant), recordings from the Abbey at Solesmes are absolutely gorgeous. There's also a newer group called Hartkeriana that does very good, traditional stuff.

A bit further afield, early Renaissance composers tend to have that same soothing feel, like Josquin des Prez or Palestrina.

For interesting evolutions of chant, Chaldean chant is what came of the fusion of chant and the secular music of the Middle East, and Keur Moussa is a group from Senegal that combines Gregorian chant with Senegalese music.

Clarification: I'm not at all religious-- I just really enjoy the music.

Ria said...

Hey Pandanon, RSF, lovely to meet you both! RSF, that CD looks completely and totally excellent.

Solesmes, Hartkeriana, Josquin des Prez , Palestrina (sung by the Tallis Scholars, who are also great), Chaldean Chant, and Keur Moussa.

REReader said...

Yep, yep, in favor of all things Gregorian! :)

Ria--starting a catering business is a major endeavor! Best wishes for all sorts of success with it. :) (And WOW, a trip to China! See if you can join one of the morning sessions of t'ai chi they have in the public parks in many cities! :))

REReader said...

The poll is a very hard choice, John--they both have such cool toys!

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you too, Ria. The CD is actually pretty soothing to listen too, as long as you're not paying attention to the lyrics.

Sherlock, Mycroft, do you know how to speak pig latin?

rsf

Small Hobbit said...

But clearly abseiling with the queen must make James Bond the winner without doubt.

REReader said...

True. OTOH, a...freelancer?... has more freedom than a government agent (even one with a license to kill), so long as he doesn't get caught!

Anonymous said...

n.b., Thanks to this entry, when I was telling "The Elephant's Child" today I had a sudden vision of Sherlock with rather larger ears than he probably possesses, making inquiries of everyone in his path and being spanked for his 'satiable curtiosity. It was a bit disconcerting! (Fortunately, I didn't lose my place.)

rsf

Desert Wanderer said...

Ria, that all sounds fascinating. And very, very busy. Hope you enjoy your trip to China!

rsf, The Elephant Child is one of my favorite books! The great gray green and greesy Limpopo River is on my list of places to see. <2

Anonymous said...

murray v federer again John :)

John H. D. Watson said...

I hope Murray gets it this time. It'd be great if he could win gold.

Anonymous said...

you get to enjoy watching Federer either way I guess don't you ;) you must have enjoyed the long match today.

pandabob said...

It would be nice for murray to win the gold you're right John :-) they are obviously the top two in the world at the minute to be playing each other again!

Do you have much planned for your evening? I hope you get more sleep than last night :-)

Post a Comment