This is the bike portion of the triathlon that we went to see. It was more exciting to watch than I thought it would be, although some disagreed. Mycroft went so far as to bring a book, though he didn't read it the whole time. Admittedly that would've been difficult with Sherlock asking him questions every three seconds.
The Ukrainian and the Swiss cyclist were at the back, on their own, and as Sherlock said in the comments, everyone cheered for them loudest of all. I wonder if it actually is encouraging or if it just points up the fact that they've fallen behind, and after all their training, too. I hope it's encouraging. I can't decide how I'd feel if it were me.
It was a lovely day out, and we did get ice cream eventually, and L got a nap later, though not for as long as I would've liked. Sherlock and Mycroft discussed Olympic events to take the place of the ones they don't like. Swimming in pudding and dolphin riding were both very popular.

115 comments:
not as long as I'd've liked either. ANd slightly unnerving to wake up to Sherlock perched over me staring like and owl watching its prey.
He said he wanted to see if you talked in your sleep.
I do. he probably shouldn't hear most of it though.
he told me it's because you said he could ask me if we could go to the park and get more ice cream when I woke up.
Ah. I meant he could ask after you were awake and out of bed, not the second you opened your eyes. I probably should've said that.
well, I guessed you meant that. it's sweet, really. just a bit startling.
I suppose it's better than the flying leap with pointy elbows of destruction.
yeah. although he woke me by piling your books on me, and told me he hadn't actually woken me, the books had.
...but don't be angry with him.
Well. That's the last time I let him hover over you while you sleep anyway. That can't have been a pleasant way to wake up.
not the best but he was just eager to do things. It's nice to feel wanted. I think he just got bored watching me sleep. He doesn't know I don't like being trapped. He did very quickly tell me they were only books. And would I like coffee and could there be ice cream, all in one breath.
I'll talk to him about it tomorrow. I wonder if he knows what a loophole is. He's certainly good at finding them.
we had a little talk. I probably didn't make much sense though.
Hopefully he'll pay better attention when there's no ice cream in the offing.
i think there's always ice cream in the offing, because we're soft.
Point. I'm getting soft around the middle with all the ice cream.
we shall run...
We shall chase after Sherlock on his bike... How's work so far?
Quieter.
Always worse near a full moon.
Quieter is good.
Have you ever arrested anyone who actually thought they were a werewolf?
I thought only kids were bothered by full moons! arresting a werewolf would be an interesting job. the olymipcs sound like it's been fun for GB I'm glad you've all managed to make it to sea something
Yes, waking up to find a small person looking intently at you from far, far too close can be pretty disconcerting....we used to have a dog that did that, now we have a five-year old. But it sounds like you a had a fun day...and there was ice-cream, and a nap (if only a short one) and I definitely think dolphin-riding has a future as an Olympic sport. If you can ride horses in the Olympics, why not dolphins?
Hope you have a quiet night at work Greg....
Arooooo!
I very much like the idea of dolphin riding! It can replace beach volleyball, so far as I'm concerned--I've seen rather too much of it this year. Or--and I know this is blasphemous, as they are considered so vital--absolutely everything track-and-field can go for all the interest I've got in them. What can I say?
What were the candidates for replacement on your end, gentlemen? (Or anyone! :))
Dolphin riding would be fun, but only if the dolphins get medals too. (I think the horse owners should only get medals if they actually do the riding.) Swimming in pudding sounds too sticky, though.
I want them to bring tug of war back.
Good luck with work, L! And maybe next nap you can put up a "do not wake me before whatever o'clock" sign. My mother had to do that when she worked nights, or we'd have never let her sleep at all.
(And I'm going to be singing Werewolf of London half the night in my head, I just know it...)
rsf
Going to sleep now.
Remind me that arresting people just makes me home late, if I ever think about it again. Even if their not werewolves.
Oof! Sleep well, and here's hoping that you're not awakened by an avalanche of books/pudding/excitable young people (well hopefully just the one excitable young person, I don't know if he has means of recruiting others).
On the topic of ice cream: there was a discussion a while ago about brown bread ice cream, which was followed by a discussion about ice cream sandwiches. My brain would not let go of this idea.
Ahem.
Brown Bread ice cream
Mozzarella ice cream
Tomato preserve ice cream
Avocado ice cream
Bacon and brown butter ice cream
Why can't criminals be considerate like the rest of us and schedule their crimes politely? Clearly, the union needs to work on that.
Quite - they should line up ready to be arrested at the beginning of a shift.
Exactly, SH! Although, to be fair, I would line up to be arrested by DI Lestrade any time of day. Even, say, 4:45 am. Hypothetically.
Hope you get some decent sleep, Lestrade.
John - are you and the boys out watching the marathon this morning? There's big crowds out, looking at the TV.
Sadly arresting people is easy and filling out the paperwork hard. Especially when you have to wait for translators and doctors.
Had some sleep, sure I'll doze off again in front of some athletes later.
You must be tired. Not like you to miss an "after some athletics" joke.
Are doctors required in every arrest, or just when the arresting official thinks someone's hurt?
Paperwork is always a problem -- but necessary if you need to remember something weeks or months later I'm sure. I trust the doctors you were waiting for weren't for you, because you'd have called Doctor Danger instead.
Still, marathons are fun to yell at, in my opinion. I hope you manage to stay awake.
Ria, those recipes look surprisingly tasty. And the first one led me to an ice cream making ball. That's taking the idea of ziploc bag ice cream to a whole different level.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/B000QV20AG/davidleboviswebs
Sherlock, if you do get the ball, remember it gets heavy with the ice and everything inside. You'll probably have to roll it around, instead of tossing it anywhere.
rsf
DW - only if we think they're hurt or ill or if they claim to be, but not every time, no.
It's a pity you didn't arrest any werewolves, of course, but any malefactors off the streets is a victory for the good guys, so yay! I think you should make them fill out their own paperwork, though--it's only what they deserve. :D
John, are you watching the tennis?
L - I always thought that was a bear rather than the Pope!
And I'm with DW - I'd hypothetically line up to be arrested by DI Lestrade at any time of day or night.
does the Pope shit in the woods?
Is Andy Murray's mouth unnaturally large? Is Federer the greatest tennis player of all time?
Yes, yes I am. :)
Have you chosen which one to root for? :)
To be honest, I actually think the tennis players are robots, controlled by humans - sort of like a Wii. Or at least, that would go some way to explain John's flailing arm movements, because I think he's playing harder than they are...
SH - definitely the Pope. Dirty git. :)
I wanted Murray to win, but I would like to Federer do a bit better than this!
I'm sure you would 'like to Federer do'.
SH - As Mycroft just explained it to Sherlock "The two most common saying to express such sentiment are "Is the Pope a Catholic?" and "Do bears shit in the woods?". So people like Lestrade find it amusing to conflate them."
So there you go...
John--Ah, well. I don't have it on--and NBC isn't showing anything live, so far as I can tell!--but perhaps he will do better yet? :)
Heh, L!
people like Lestrade
So much meaning in so few words :-p
L - merely a typo, shhhhhh.
Nameless - quite!
Danger - won't :)
Will if I tickle you...
So mean.
Was going to cook you that chicken you like, stuffed with stuff and a side of things. May not now you're mean.
Awwww, but stuffing made of stuff is my favourite. :(
Don't tickle me then!
Federicorn seems to have woken up a little.
Really, Doc? It's stuff stuffing you like the best? Not any other kinds of...stuffing?
DW - stuff stuffing is the best for chicken. Other dishes require their own special stuffing.
L - it was only a little!
the tickling or Federer waking up... both, maybe?
Both, I suspect, yeah.
I conflate things too, Lestrade. It's more fun that way.
Mmm. Chicken stuffed with stuff... now I'm hungry.
rsf
I can't find the tennis to watch from here, but I did find statistics on the match.
http://www.london2012.com/tennis/event/men-singles/match=tem001101/index.html?v=1012012080515
I never realized they could hit the ball to go at those speeds!
rsf
YAY!
Right...John, Sherlock and both dogs are stuck to the ceiling now... or at least so hyper that the whole place has gone mad.
That was brilliant! God, Murray did so well. I'm really impressed.
I expect so! And I bet the crowd at Wimbledon's pretty joyful too. Do Londoners blow car horns all over town when their team wins the way Bostonians do?
rsf
RSF - Not really. Just for the footy, sometimes.
RATS. I was going to link you to the Team GB tennis duck for John's bath but every time I click on the link it redirects me to the team usa shop instead. Grrrrrr!
rsf
Well I've been watching on NBC live, but thinking of you all the whole time, and YAY for Murray!
L - racquet shaped pasta with our chicken stuffed with stuff? :)
What do you call that. Racquetini? Because it's teeny racquets?
rsf
Another wonderful day for Team GB so far - golds in tennis and sailing, silver in sailing, silver and bronze in the gymnastics... going well in the cycling too. Fabulous.
(Also, women's boxing is an Olympic sport for the first time ever, the first bouts took place today. Whatever your thoughts about boxing as a sport, the fact that it's finally got parity at the Olympics has got to be a good thing)
Rachettini, probably, RSF.
Nameless - heard a fntastic interview with the rowing team earlier, about the Ozzy team.
Ah, yes, must use the Italian version to make it proper.
I'm really enjoying the london2012 site, because even if I can't watch live I can see the statistics and how the competition went. And even without video there are lots of pictures. I just wish it would let me shop for things besides the USA stuff.
Will attempt to load an image of the duck now, because it amuses me -- apologies to all if you just get a bunch of html.
[IMG]http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp12/dutchducky/201220Tennis20Duck.jpg[/IMG]
rsf
Murray picked the absolutely perfect time and place to pull it all together!
Hopefully the tea party on the ceiling will be over in time for dinner. :D
Is this the duck, rsf? (I can't manage to work your URL from my iPod, sorry.)
Yup. Thanks. I don't know why links never work for me. I've tried html format and nuthin'.
It was really neat being able to see the stats change as Murray won. I could just imagine John leaping up from the couch and shouting. Now I'm caught up "watching" the stats for the women's sailing and I have to make up my mind to go do some sailing myself.
rsf
The comments here won't take image codes, rsf. [a href=] with angled brackets instead of square and no quote marks will usually work for a link, though. :)
I tried the angled brackets before, but I had quotes. Next time I want a link I'll try it your way. Thanks, RR.
rsf
Ah, yes, must use the Italian version to make it proper.
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I had no sense of humour. Correcting jokes is so ... well, sorry, anyway.
Had to take everyone to the park to get rid of excess energy.
Actually, I was amused that the joke would translate into Italian. :D Besides for all I know, that's what they DO call it in the stores. It sounds so much more elegant than "shaped pasta".
The park sounds like it was an excellent notion. Have you managed to tire out the boys and the dogs? I expect John is still dancing on the ceiling over Murray's win.
rsf
Well, Sherlock wasnt that impressed, Mr Bolt. He said "Was that it?" :)
RSF-- I think that, like Livejournal comments, some HTML only works if you're signed in. But it's entirely possible that I made that up.
Also, I covet that ice cream maker that you mentioned upthread.
I'm with Sherlock ;-)
Has everyone calmed down from the tennis excitement earlier? we had an amazing storm which cut the electric so I missed it :-(
At the level these athletes are, it all looks easy!
(Mr Bolt? I'm sorry I don't get the reference, L. :( )
Just got home from taking my niece to see Stomp, and wow! It's an hour and a half of pure percussion, using brooms, mops, sinks, buckets, basketballs, newspapers, garbage cans.... If they've a version in London, it's something Sherlock might enjoy; just be sure to bring earplugs of some sort because it gets LOUD! (And it might be a bit difficult to dissuade him from imitating the effects at home. :))
Usain Bolt, RR, fastest man in the world.
Ah, thanks!
Hah - I suppose it doesn't look that impressive without the context :-p
Have you seen the video of the BBC pundits watching Mo Farah win the 10K yessterday? a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19134764">It's wonderful (possibly not available to those outside the UK, sorry).
I've lost track - are you on lates again tonight, Lestrade, or earlies in the morning?
John - did you watch Murray and Robson take the Silver in the mixed doubles?
Oh, well. Clearly my HTML skillz are not l33t.
I've no idea what you just said, but yeah, I saw it on BBC - and them watching Bolt. It was fantastic.
Hope you're okay AnonyBob - the rain and hail have been terrible.
If you've got a stopwatch, you could have Sherlock run the distance and see how long it takes him to do it. That might make Mr. Bolt's accomplishment more comprehensible.
(That it might make Sherlock less bouncy for a while would be a side benefit.)
I think they should add water jet pack to the olympic competition.
(Looks to see if the html worked...)
rsf
rain and hail can't dampen my spirits today Greg ;-)
I was a bit annoyed to miss Murray though.
I'll lend you John to re-enact it.
RSF - we did roughly mark out the long jump in the park. He didn't believe us at first, and then declared he could jump really far, and eventually decided when he was bigger he'd jump further.
Not sure John would agree to that ;-)
6am start tomorrow Greg? than a quiet day? ;-)
Yeah - sorry, Nameless, too - Earlies tomorrow.
I wonder what the long jump would be in terms of how tall the athletes are. That might make a fairer comparison for Sherlock. I always actually liked the high jump better though.
I wish I understood French.
rsf
Well, when he's bigger, he almost certainly will jump further than he does now!
You (all) might try several of the other track and field events yourselves over the next few days, it could be fun and undoubtedly would be instructive. Or you could invent superior track and field events, which is something I think the Olympics could really use. :)
I don't think there's anything much different to what we do now in the park.
I can't really imagine any 'superior' events.
Perhaps "superior" wasn't the right word, but I bet Sherlock and Mycroft could come up with some alternatives. :)
I just pointed out that I messed up the html, so instead of a nice clickable link, I ended up posting italicised gibberish :-)
Earlies, ugh. When I worked shifts (just earlies and lates, luckily, no nights), I hated earlies. Just completely wiped me out. Lates suit my normal body clock, but meant I only got to see my husband for an hour or two a day. Not good. OTOH, it does mean that you'll be able to spend most of your waking hour with your boys on your birthday :-)
Anonybob - glad to hear the weather hasn't defeated you :-) Hail, at this time of year, crazy. It looked bad on the news :-(
I think Sherlock, at least, would sort of miss the point of athletics being an accessible sport for everyone and start introducing all sorts of weird things into it.
I'm sure they'd be entertaining to watch if adopted! (But you could limit it to things they could actually do, with what you have on hand, in a public park.)
The motorways are shut and the trains are off nameless and it's all very horrid but I don't have to go far tomorrow so hopefully it won't be a problem for me :-) it did damage the gooseberry bush though :-(
That's too bad, Pandanon-- gooseberries are delicious! I hope it recovers.
(studiously makes no comments about bushes taking a pounding)
RSF, the lady was just saying that it was her first time trying out the Flyboard, and that you could get the hang of it in about 15 minutes. The guy (who invented it) was explaining how it worked and the different models that they make-- I can go into more detail if you're curious, he got a bit technical.
luckily we'd just stripped the bush Ria ;-)
Hope your bush recovers, AnonyBob.
no idea of the seriousness of that Greg ;-) but me too you can't beat fresh gooseberries :-)
Very serious.
Right, I have to drag myself to bed to have a hope of being up in time in the morning. Night all.
(And I'm amazed no one's mentioned Mycroft's pic John's got up there, of the cyclists in front of Buck House. I thought it was brilliant!)
Thanks, Ria. It sounds like a really neat toy, doesn't it? I was kind of hoping the lady wasn't saying that you needed to be an Olympic level swimmer to have fun.
As for bushes and poundings and recoveries, I think I am going to have to and wash my mind out with soap, given where I'm reading. But I do hope that you're all right anonybob, and that the motorways and trains recover before the Monday commute.
rsf
L, that would be because John mentioned Mycroft bringing a book, not a camera.
Mycroft, that is an excellent shot. Catches the action and the setting very well indeed!
rsf
I thought it was a news shot!
Nag, Cameraphone shot.
Amazing. I would never have thought it.
cameraphone?!! that is amazing, it's a wonderful picture.
Sleep well Greg, I hope the morning is slow in coming ;-)
Ta. I've got a pounding headache.
It’s your body’s desperate attempt to force a birthday sicky ;-)
Urk. Well, I hope that sleep and possibly ibuprofen kill your headache and you get a decent five hours' sleep :-)
Mycroft - that's an excellent picture, I'm impressed.
Anonybob - I feel as if decorum should prevent from commenting on your smushed bush, but perhaps it's acceptable for me to point out that if you just stripped it, it should grow back ok?
That's not good--I'm sorry you're hurting, L.
Goodnight, L. If the headache persists, try hydrating. Latest thing my doctor's been recommending for mine and it works at least half the time when I'm having trouble sleeping.
rsf
I thought it was a press pic, too. Well done, Mycroft!
Post a Comment