Sherlock and Lestrade's creation of the day, bee biscuits. Or, as Lestrade insists, bee-scuits:
With chocolate wings, legs, and stinger, of course. Unlike actual bees, they are delicious.
The off road place was good. I definitely still have mud in unexpected places, but if that and a few bruises are the worst price we pay for getting to act like complete lunatics for a few hours, I'd say it's more than worth it.
Sherlock had a ride on the back of L's bike again...he's almost there. Just a touch unstable still. Not quite enough length in his legs, but since he's growing like kudzu, I don't think it'll be too much longer.
I watched Mycroft go around the track by himself and thought about my father's reaction when I asked him to teach me how to drive: an aghast look, accompanied by a demand to know how old I thought I was. He knew, of course, so I can only assume it was the shock talking. I can sort of understand it now, when I realise that Mycroft will be old enough to have his own bike in a very few years.
I'm getting into an odd place with the poetry, where the only ones that leap to mind are ones that I suspect will seem vaguely depressing to everyone else and inappropriate for happy posts involving bee-scuits, but that I personally find amusing or hopeful. I'm also trying hard not to make this Millay Month, but nevertheless...
Spring
Edna St Vincent MillayTo what purpose, April, do you return again?
Beauty is not enough.
You can no longer quiet me with the redness
Of little leaves opening stickily.
I know what I know.
The sun is hot on my neck as I observe
The spikes of the crocus.
The smell of the earth is good.
It is apparent that there is no death.
But what does that signify?
Not only under ground are the brains of men
Eaten by maggots.
Life in itself
Is nothing,
An empty cup, a flight of uncarpeted stairs.
It is not enough that yearly, down this hill,
April
Comes like an idiot, babbling and strewing flowers.

74 comments:
Those biscuits are brilliant! a bit of a bee theme going on the the Watson/Lestrade/Holmes household at the minute ;-)
The idea of you four off having such fun together has had me smiling all day, I'm glad it went well with little injury.
I quite like that one, but I'm not sure why.
And, in your dad's defence - how old you thought you were and how old you were may have been different ;)
What'll it be....year and a half before Mycroft can get a scooter? I think I was more nervous about you getting a bike!
Bees are the BEST!
Yes, well...Mycroft's probably more responsible than I am.
I thought I was old enough to drive and date and stay out all night...not that the the opportunity presented itself much, but I definitely thought I was old enough.
I wouldn't say that! He's just had a bit of experience now - and been on the back of mine through plenty of traffic.
I think Mum was glad when I was old enough to be out all the time...well, except for the lack of free babysitting.
I was on the back of yours through plenty of traffic too!
for a few months! He'll have been doing it over 2 years!
And yeah, maybe he's a bit less...daredevil... than you. I mean, not that you are, on the bike. But i might have worried you might have been...
The beescut looks tasty! And fun, too.
I'm enjoying the poetry. I see what you mean about this one being possibly depressing, but funny too. As if the poet is saying *pffft!* at the universe because her knees hurt on the first round of gardening in the spring.
rsf
RSF - yeah. And also, saying that beauty is not enough makes you think about the things that are enough. Or it does me, anyway.
L - I probably resemble that remark, though less than I used to.
I don't think it's coming out how I mean it to.
It's all right, love. I'm not upset. I know I can be a bit reckless sometimes.
but you aren't on the bike - I mean, not that I've ever seen. So I only worried before you got it. Now I worry about you riding the bike only as much as I do you crossing the road.
No, not on the bike. You taught me well.
Heh. So not very much, hopefully, or you do a lot of worrying.
I worry....more than I probably should. But less than I could.
You mean an awful lot to me.
I know. You mean a lot to me too. I won't tell you not to worry, because I do the same with you.
We'll just have to try and prevent each other form becoming nervous wrecks.
Or live in a bubble filled with cotton wool. One or the other.
The first one has more mud and bikes...
...and I think the cotton wool would put my teeth on edge after a bit. The way it sort of...squeaks.
Gah.
Exactly.
Want a sneaky bee-scuit before bed?
Or in bed?
well...I wouldn't throw you out for making crumbs ;)
Just mind where you're waving the sting. And be gentle with my pollen sacks.
Always...
Here's a poem I read in high school, it's always stuck in my head.
Resume by Dorothy Parker
Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.
I don't really understand poetry, but Dorothy Parker is an exception:
Unfortunate
Coincidence
By the time you swear you're his,
Shivering and sighing,
And he vows his passion is
Infinite, undying-
Lady, make a note of this:
One of you is lying.
Anon - Resume is one of the ones I was going to post here. Definitely falls under the category of poems I find inexplicably cheering. And I got in a lot of trouble for choosing it to recite in class.
Also:
Never serious be, nor true,
And your wish will come to you—
And if that makes you happy, kid,
You’ll be the first it ever did.
I love Dorothy Parker! And much of Ogden Nash, although he has not always aged so well.
And do you know this one by Richard Armour?
To Have and Too Old
The bride, white of hair, is stooped over her cane,
Her faltering footsteps need guiding.
While down the church aisle,
With a wan, toothless smile,
The groom in his wheelchair comes riding.
Now “Who is this elderly couple?” you ask.
You’ll find when you’ve closely explored it,
That here is that rare, most conservative pair,
Who waited ‘til they could afford it.
rsf
Sounds like a terrific day all around! (And the bee-sci it's are adorable. :))
Those look amazing! How do y'all come up with this stuff?
poems, or biscuits, DW?
Those biscuits look wonderful. Are there any left?
there are - but only because we made a lot! I can't imagine there will be for long.
Have to make Mycroft something else to take back to school with him :)
Such amazingly creative biscuits.
Hah, I was about 95% sure you meant poetry...
I just had a recipe for stripey biscuits, and Sherlock's current bee obsession is through the roof. Seemed obvious. (They aren't actually the nicest biscuits in the world. I think next time I'll use the chocolate swirl biscuit dough to make stripes and they'd be better.)
Ah. I wish I had your innovation in the kitchen. I'm very much in the Doc's "follow the recipe" camp.
If it's any consolation, there is no guarantee of success... everyone might wish I was a 'follow the recipe' kind of guy after Mycroft and I have done this pheasant.... it's been a very long time since I cooked a pheasant.
Np guarantee, true, but a high probability given your tart escort.
...is that John or Mycroft you're calling a tart there? ;)
Track record! Not tart escort.
It's too late/early to be paying compliments, apparently.
Actually, I worry that if John is my escort, I'm the tart!
Never the wrong time to pay compliments, even if they do take a bit of fishing out of the autocorrect. Thank you.
And yes, I hope that the pheasant will be fine. At least it's not full of lead shot like the last one I cooked! Picking feathers, shot and bone out of the meat is never much fun. And it's going to be quite simple. Bacon, pheasant, garlic, herbs, plenty of butter, roast potatoes and veg and winter greens. Probably some bread sauce.
Any chance I could invite myself to dinner?
And what are you going to make Mycroft to take back with him?
Sorry, was up to my armpits in a bird. Which isn't something I can say often.
Not sure what Mycroft wants!
:D
Are you planning on anything besides baking for the afternoon?
Er....eating? :)
Isn't eating an integral part of baking? I didn't know they could be separated. ...Or is that "tasting"?
It's tasting if you're the chef/cook. It's eating if you're a bystander.
The difference is 'tasting' is essential and comepletely calorie-free. ;)
Grub's up! Pheasant with bacon, with roasted veggies and a cider and celeriac sauce, roast spuds, winter greens.
Enjoy ;)
I love you. And your pheasant. I'll be your tart escort any time.
That's good - because I imagine anyone who's hungrily looking into their bare fridge right now probably hates me...
If you're my tart escort...does that me the tart??
Only if that's what we're having for dessert, in which case I'll be escorting your tart.
apple and brandy pie with cream for afters. No tarts but me, I'm afraid.
You're my favourite anyway. And that sounds delicious.
brandy is HORRIBLE
...brandy is horrible if you're 7, and going on and on about wanting to try some, so get given some to taste and only get a slice of apple to take the taste away.
Some of us think it's rather nice!
it's okay in the pie with ice cream and the apple and sugar and spices but it's horrible to drink
It is excellent in the pie.
I'm not staring into my bare fridge hating you, Lestrade - but only because I've just gone to Tescos :-p I am craving roast potatoes now though...
Most alcohol is an acquired taste, Sherlock; and it's OK not to acquire it :-)
Few things make me happier than sitting at a table with the people I love watching them eat a nice meal and all enjoy it.
Nameless - I have a dream that I'll make enough roast potatoes to have some cold later...but John (and Mycroft) have a literally unending ability to eat them. So no matter how many I make, there are never leftovers.
Well soon we will increase your happiness by visiting and letting you feed us.
Carla tells me that Mycroft told her he finished term on the 7th? So could we come down for a weekend after that?
Sounds great as far as I'm concerned. :)
Should we make it the 15th/16th? Then Mycroft's had a bit of time to settle back at home.
I hope Sherlock isn't too upset - does he break up on the 21st like my two?
Lestrade still hasn't weighed in and I don't know what his schedule will be like, but that's fine by me. Sherlock isn't upset...yet. I'm sure we'll have the usual battle cry of IT'S NOT FAIRRRR when the time comes though.
yeah, fine, I'll get it off, or on call or something. I've got to do some nights soon - been avoiding them long enough :)
Sherlock needs to make sure he's on best behaviour at school because he's only getting the present his mum promised if he gets a very good school report.
And besides, he gets to be part if the Christmas show at the end of his term, and have you all come and watch, and he can't do that if he's not there. (And rehearsals are FUN!)
And Sherlock, I think most kinds of alcohol taste horrible, too.
It was nice in the pie with everything else.
I've been told the alcohol part--or most of it--burns off in the baking, so it would just be the flavoring part that would be left. If that's true it would make sense--and sugar and apples and the rest could make almost anything taste nice!
(It all sounds yummy, and is making me very hungry. :))
Lestrade said maybe half of the alcohol goes in the oven. There's still pie left over and I'm going have some more later.
That would take a lot of the bite out! (Since I'm a bit allergic to alcohol I can only have very little safely, and baked things are sometimes okay and sometimes not. So even though people keep telling me it burns off I wasn't so sure. "About half" sounds more right to me.)
And yummmm. :)
Just depends how things are cooked, RR. But it never all burns off just like that.
Ha! I knew it! (And that makes sense--why sometimes it's okay and sometimes not. And how much alcohol the recipe started with would also have to factor in.)
If half the alcohol goes in the oven I am now imagining a very inebriated oven. Clearly we opened the wine bottle early today ;)
Lestrade - yeah, we have the same problems in this house with disappearing roasties - except there's only the two of us :-p
I know we'd have the same problem if it were just John and me, too ;)
Post a Comment