After lunch, L took me on a mystery tour of London. He said we were going to pick up one of my birthday presents...somewhere. I was surprised he didn't want me on the back of his bike so he wouldn't have to give me directions, but as it turned out, my bike was a necessary part of the proceedings, because I was getting real, rain-proof, lockable luggage for it:
Once upon a time (we have to start with that even though it's stupid because I know exactly when but it's part of the assignment and Mycroft said do you have to argue about every little thing and I said YES but I'm doing it anyway because John said it won't kill me and sighed like he does when he's really tired) it was the fifth day of June in 1782 and there was a big plague from a kind of blood sucking insect no one knew about before that lived in grain and came over on a ship from an island in the middle of the ocean and if you got the plague you went mad and danced around and then you started sneezing and all your brains came out your nose and you died.
Everyone in Europe got it and lots and lots of people died and it spread east but didn't get through Russia because there weren't many people there and anyway there were quarantines and also people were too busy sneezing and dancing to really go very far. Also some of them didn't die but instead after they went mad their eyes went all white and they didn't sneeze their brains out but they walked around and ate everything, even things that were alive and even people and even poisonous things so lots of them died but some didn't.
And some people were immune and didn't get the plague at all or got it and got better and some of the people who got better were on a ship and they were pirates. They were all together on their ship which was called Jupiter's Bones when the plague came and they all got it but most of them got better, at least the interesting ones and the other ones got thrown overboard and fed to sharks.
They sailed all around and had lots of adventures and their scientist who was called a natural philosopher got a map from someone saying where the insects came from that carried the plague and they went and found island where no one had been except for the one ship that brought back the plague and the scientist did experiments on the insects and squished out their blood into tubes and separated it and made a cure and the pirates brought it back to London and saved everyone there and obviously everyone in Europe but London first.
And the scientist was a hero and they made him king because the king and everyone had died, but that was boring so he went back on the pirate ship and they sailed away to South America and had lots more adventures that I can't write about now because this is only supposed to be 500 words or less which seemed like a lot when I started but now I've run out.
THE END
Obviously it looks better on my bike (because it's my bike), but this gives you a general idea. It's all somehow coded (magnetically? Electronically? Magically?) to open with my ignition key, which is amazing - how do criminals get by these days? Stealing things must be much more complicated - and it all fits perfectly. It's made by BMW so they ought to know how to put things on their own bikes. It'll be perfect for the FME job; I can keep all my things in it and not worry about someone wandering off with them if I turn my back for a minute, and there'll be conferences and so on I'll need to travel for (and Spider fits, I checked, although she does take up almost an entire bag on her own). It's a wonderfully thoughtful gift, and I have an amazing fiancé.
-
On a completely different note, here's the story Sherlock wrote for school a little while ago. He asked me to post it here.
Once upon a time (we have to start with that even though it's stupid because I know exactly when but it's part of the assignment and Mycroft said do you have to argue about every little thing and I said YES but I'm doing it anyway because John said it won't kill me and sighed like he does when he's really tired) it was the fifth day of June in 1782 and there was a big plague from a kind of blood sucking insect no one knew about before that lived in grain and came over on a ship from an island in the middle of the ocean and if you got the plague you went mad and danced around and then you started sneezing and all your brains came out your nose and you died.
Everyone in Europe got it and lots and lots of people died and it spread east but didn't get through Russia because there weren't many people there and anyway there were quarantines and also people were too busy sneezing and dancing to really go very far. Also some of them didn't die but instead after they went mad their eyes went all white and they didn't sneeze their brains out but they walked around and ate everything, even things that were alive and even people and even poisonous things so lots of them died but some didn't.
And some people were immune and didn't get the plague at all or got it and got better and some of the people who got better were on a ship and they were pirates. They were all together on their ship which was called Jupiter's Bones when the plague came and they all got it but most of them got better, at least the interesting ones and the other ones got thrown overboard and fed to sharks.
They sailed all around and had lots of adventures and their scientist who was called a natural philosopher got a map from someone saying where the insects came from that carried the plague and they went and found island where no one had been except for the one ship that brought back the plague and the scientist did experiments on the insects and squished out their blood into tubes and separated it and made a cure and the pirates brought it back to London and saved everyone there and obviously everyone in Europe but London first.
And the scientist was a hero and they made him king because the king and everyone had died, but that was boring so he went back on the pirate ship and they sailed away to South America and had lots more adventures that I can't write about now because this is only supposed to be 500 words or less which seemed like a lot when I started but now I've run out.
THE END

58 comments:
...also people were too busy sneezing and dancing to go very far.
A very good point, it would make the plague spread more slowly. I also like that the scientist got bored being king, very sensible.
An excellent story!
Nice present, John!
Very nifty luggage! Is your set black, or red to match your bike, John?
That is an excellent story--I particularly like the throw-away explanation of zombie tales! (And that is so true, about 500 words seeming like a lot until you get going.)
cool present John :-) I'm glad things are coming together for the FME thing and that you have a fiance who picks you good presents :-)
Sherlock, your story is brilliant, thanks for sharing it with us
Have a great trip.
(Oh, and Sherlock? Here's an advantage to sometimes starting stories with "once upon a time"--it's very traditional, so it puts people in the right frame of mind to listen to a story without them even realizing why.)
What I think I like best about the story is how it combines plausible sounding stuff (the insects) and exciting stuff (the pirates).
And now I have Gilbert and Sullivan in my head.
"I am a piiiraaate kiiiing"
Coincidentally I also have an amazing, brilliant, wonderful fiancé. Now please can we gooooooooo?
Here, Kestrel!
Have fun, guys. :)
Yes we can goooooooooooo. :)
What a wonderful present! And what a wonderful story, Sherlock :-)
Have a fun weekend away, all.
John - what a lovely gift and I'm sure L. made sure Spider would fit before doing any purchasing!
Sherlock - great story. I enjoyed it very much.
Hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Here's hoping for good weather ; )
LyricalSinger
We have stopped, briefly, for a bit of shopping (need ingredients for a curry) and because Sherlock is clambering all over me on the bike in his excitement and needs to calm down!
did Sherlock calm down Greg? and have you arrived yet? (not that I'm at all nosy about where you're going you understand ;-) )
Don't believe that anonybob - we all want to know where you've gone. But we will understand if you don't tell us yet. :)
We have just arrived.
But I don't feel it's my place to say where.
well enjoy yourselves until someone wants to tell us then Greg :-)
Glad you've arrived safe.
It's a windmill and there's a ROUND BED and I'm sleeping in it!!
Are you indeed? And there was I thinking John and I would get the round bed...
Do we get the four poster instead? And shouldn't John get to choose, it being his birthday treat?
oh wow Sherlock a windmill!!
its sounds like an interesting place :-)
It's great! We'll post the link when we get home, and everyone can see then. Although Mycroft wants to fix all the apostrophes on their site. Is it still illegal to hack someone's website if you're only doing it to correct their punctuation...?
Ummm...I think both the bedrooms are very nice. If we take the four poster, we'll have the whole floor to ourselves though. Just a thought.
We can have whichever room you choose, birthday boy.
A windmill? Sounds fantastic - nice one, Lestrade :-)
John - A four poster bed and a floor to yourselves? Sounds like you're going to a have a lot of fun this weekend :-)
It is fantastic. It's beautiful - with a garden and a hot tub and a really enormous kitchen, and L's making curry. :)
L - top floor then. And I love you. This is perfect, thank you.
He's making curry? It must be love :-)
Danger - I tried to find a lighthouse, but... Well, this was the closest I could find
Nameless- I often make him curry! Well... I've done it before, anyway. ;)
It'll clear his sinuses...
L - good thing we're staying on the top floor then. :) Really, I love it. And you.
My sinuses are clear! It's my lungs that aren't.
I love you too. More than I can say.
Sherlock may actually wear himself out if he keeps running up and down the six floors we now live over...
It'll clear them anyway, I think. Or singe them.
Maybe that's the secret - if we get a taller house and put his room at the top he can run up and down the stairs all day until he tires himself out...
Yeah.
Mycroft, I hope you're okay with the other bedroom. On the bright side, you get the balcony on your floor :)
I'm sure it will be quite nice. Better than arguing with Sherlock over the round one, certainly.
well...I thought everyone having their own floor would be a little more peaceful...
So, is getting in a hot tub after eating a curry a really bad idea??
I think it's a fantastic idea.
Hmm... well, might be relaxing.
What am I saying...Sherlock in a huge bath with controls for lights, jets, bubbles...this won't be relaxing, will it?
It'll be...entertaining?
...Does it light up in different colours?
I'LL FIND OUT
...and I shall chase him, armed with his swimming gear and a towel, given he's just run downstairs shedding clothes...
Yes, entertaining is definitely the right word.
Right, small boys need to go to bed.
Big boys might soon too...
good luck with the boys gents and sleep well yourselves when you escape to your floor ;-)
Medium sized can make up their own minds about bedtime :)
Sherlock is grumpy that he has to go to bed, because 'there's no school for AGES'.
But he is also uncommonly excited about going back to school...Mrs N has something exciting planned for the new term, it seems.
I have the very highest opinion of Mrs N.
Sherlock has certainly taken to her.
Night all.
Mrs. N is clearly a teacher of extraordinary quality. I hope she enjoyed Sherlock's story as much as I did.
I think I'm quite jealous of your windmill. It sounds wonderful. Does it actually work when the wind blows?
rsf
G'night!
The luggage is amazing! Also it looks very futuristic...
In other news, my Yamaha is not mine anymore.
And yesterday I've found about London Rhythm by Jive Aces. I know it's not what you guys usually listen to, but it made me think about you.
Wow! The accomodation sounds incredible! Just wondering, next time you go away...would there be room for me to curl up small in the wonderful new luggage bags?!! Everything sounds amazing :-)
Sherlock, did you eventually tire yourself out? I hope you are having lots of fun and exploring the garden :-)
Have a great day all
Fen x
RSF - no, it hasn't got any sails on. It's just the structure left now.
Fen - if you're the same size as Spider, you'd fit!
Sherlock did tire himself out. And was like a tiny bump in the middle of the huge round bed when he went to sleep. But he is now charging about again, trying out all the baths (there's a freestanding one on our floor, and a big round one on his floor.)
I'm making breakfast. This kitchen is amazing. And then the weather is nice enough to go out somewhere.
RR- his luggage is black - a proper colour for a bike! ;)
It's no use I've been restrained as long as I can. Has anyone seen a mouse?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fg7w49UnGA
Lancs. Anon
(I used to be in an online group that when things got quiet somebody would post 'I saw a mouse' and old buggers that we were everyone would post back 'Where?')
Sherlock with clogs on?
Any mice would sensibly have moved out, gone for a holiday in the cottage security are in - or the church next door. If they stayed on the stairs they'd be trampled by small boys and large dogs!
Lancs Anon, that song is seriously catchy. And the video makes me think of the degus and socks on John's head!
Will you be venturing away from the windmill for local amusements, or is Sherlock not bored yet?
rsf
Yeah, we've been out and about, walking through the countryside, exploring. Now eating lunch in a pub.
My round bath and round bed are THE BEST
how do you know where to put your head when you lie down in a round bed Sherlock? or in a round bath for that matter.
I'm glad you're having fun :-)
It sounds like you're all having a lovely holiday! :)
(Anony--I'd guess "anywhere he wants"! ;D)
He pretty much just wriggled about, trying out every direction to lie, I think. In both bed and bath.
If he keeps charging about he may get another bath in the canal.
Anything not like home is BEST. It's all an adventure, yeah? :)
I guessed that would be the answer Greg ;-)
Post a Comment