Auto-complete map of the UK (it'll get bigger if you click on it):
I particularly like 'Edinburgh is a mad god's dream'. Much more interesting than 'London is funny'. Although at least we're not hellish (Oxford) or a dump (many places, apparently), or Swansea (the graveyard of ambition, which has to be the worst of all).
L had to be at court at what seemed like a truly unreasonable hour this morning. Surely judges don't wake up that early? But he also got out in time for Mycroft to send us both away to have lunch and leave him to finish up studying. He came with us to pick up Sherlock on the bikes afterward, and they've been getting along...slightly better than yesterday. For the most part. Until Mycroft's voice cracks a bit and Sherlock feels it necessary to make fun of him. Mycroft rises above it usually, which is more than I managed when Harry was mocking me for the same thing.
If anyone knows where spring went, please send it our way.

87 comments:
Sherlock charging about in too few clothes, yet staying warm as toast makes me feel old, as I huddle deeper into my scarf and cough pathetically.
Judges don't wake up early. I had a few things to do before court. Judges do enjoy making everyone miserable though.
Judges do enjoy making everyone miserable though.
That I believe.
If you were up to charging about you'd probably stay warm too, but as it is, maybe some tea?
Dunno. Think he could go out in the snow in just his underpants and still stay warm
Tea would be lovely. Then I need to hide from you and make some phone calls.
About whaaaaat?
Should we be getting worried about Lestrade's cough?
Hmmm. In retrospect, allow me rephrase that...
Gosh, Lestrade, that cough of yours has been hanging around for ages. You OK?
About something. Which , if I can get it, will be a seeecreeeet.
Nameless - very bored of having a cough. But apart from the cough I feel fine.
Something separate from this weekend?
Nameless - he's probably all right. And very patient about letting me listen to his lungs.
related to this weekend in that it's your birthday this weekend...
Only patient when you warm your stethoscope. Or press your hot little ear to my chest. That's my favourite...you pretending to be all cuddly and having a sly listen. ;)
Not pretending, just...multitasking.
That map describes the north east pretty well John ;-)
I'm glad the boys are getting on slightly better, they are so wondeful when they're plotting with each other but I guess the age gap is going to be a problem for a few years yet, even though its shrinking by the year.
Sorry you're still not fixed Greg, stay warm and look after yourself :-)
Okay, I'll give you that. Multitasking.
AnonyBob - they do still get along most of the time. It's just unfortunate that Sherlock finds Mycroft's voice breaking so amusing. But I think it's one of those things siblings will always mock you for. Mine did.
I'm sorry but the multitasking sounds pretty adorable. <3
I hope you get good weather on your surprise trip. God knows we do not have it yet where I am. My Sherlock-aged kid is tearing around (indoors) wearing nothing but shorts, though. Little heat machines.
He is very adorable, as previously mentioned.
We should hook Sherlock up to the national grid.
I don't remember my little brothers voice breaking but I'm sure I found it funny at the time, It’s what siblings are for though isn't it? Teaching you ways to plot revenge ;-)
But not very subtle apparently. Oh well.
I think small children could power the world.
But they run on cake...more small children, means more cake, means more power needed for ovens...
You don't need to be subtle. I like knowing you care.
Cake and adult human life force...
Good thing, since I definitely can't stop. ;)
I'm always keen to have you plastered all over my body, whatever the reason.
And my telephoning has produced results :) I'm happy as a clam!
Happy to drive me mad with curiosity...
Oh yes.
I keept forgetting to ask - is there anything you'd like for your birthday?
Besides getting to spend time with you and the boys? Can't really think of anything, honestly.
... and you claim that you're not adorable.
Well, happily, you're getting that too :)
Now, promise me you won't go running down to the door when the postman gets here for the next few days. Or try to 'help' Mrs Hudson with any heavy boxes. Especially if it's moving, got air holes punched in it and snorting gently. Right??
Nameless - there's just not that much I want! I get dirty looks when I ask for socks, even though they're genuinely useful...
L - I make no such promises. Snorting??
Gently.
Nor take notice of anything that arrives in a bullion van under armed guard.
Or anyone measuring any doorways or entrances.
And definitely any workmen on the roof.
Did you get me a dragon?
You already have Mrs H! Oh...err...
And he was sent to Siberia, never to be seen again...
and he thought it was cold here ;-)
I don;t think Siberia would be good for my cough.
I would need to take a heat source, a doctor, and someone clever enough to keep us all alive.
May as well stay in arctic London.
It's all right, I'm sure my pet dragon will warm us all up nicely.
Hmmm.
Anything you want to do before art class tomorrow?
I don't know, is there anything you want to do? Breakfast out after we drop off Sherlock? Maybe go to Kew and see something approaching spring?
We could see if Mycroft wants to peel himself away from his books and search for spring.
Or just hide in your natural habitat - the hot houses.
Not sure about my natural habitat, but it does sound pretty good right now. My shoulder's really been aching lately.
Come on, then, bed. And I'll give you a shoulder rub. With tiger balm, if you want.
Just until the dragon arrives to keep you toasty.
I'm sure the cold air is helping L's cough or your shoulder, John. Hopefully it'll be springy before too long. We're having 34C today. I'm convinced we just need to accept that the months we ascribe to the seasons are just wrong. Autumn here is said to be March-May, but it never gets autumny until the beginning of April. I think we just need to formalise autumn as being from April-June, then we won't be so cranky every March when we have a stinky heatwave. And if you guys do the same for spring, the snow in March won't be as depressing!
And wow - my new reading glasses make it much less hellish to pass the Captcha!
... and of course I meant "isn't" helping the cough & shoulder. Glasses can't make me spot typos easier, it seems.
Sorry, I lurk here, but I couldn't resist posting after ro posted three times in a row. :)
XD
Thanks for that, made me laugh!
(Feel like I should keep it going by calling myself 'gently down', or something!)
Well, at risk of causing some horrific freak weather again... There are blue skies above us! (Through the hazy cloud) and there is a fiery ball in the sky!
And why isn't it firey? Why fiery??
And welcome Your Boat! Don't feel you must lurk :)
Glad I caused some amusement. :) And thanks for the kind words, Lestrade; you and John are always extremely welcoming to newcomers, I've just never felt like I had anything to say. I tend to lurk in all aspects of my online life, not just here. If I encounter another opportunity for wordplay, though, you may hear from me again, but I'm much more likely to be quiet. The fact that I wrote anything at all is a testament to how wonderfully you and John host your blogs. Thanks for continuing to share your lives and putting up with random people popping out of the woodwork. :)
Ok, it's official..I live near Ipswich and IT IS a dump! Thanks for making me smile though :)
Hope that cough soon clears up, Greg, what do they say? The normal length of a cough is it least 18 days.
Love to all,
Fen x
Your Boat - a lot of us don't have anything very interesting to say ;) I think of this generally as casual chit chat over a pint, rather than anything deep!
Fen - cheers, think its been a bit longer than 18 days. But I'm sure it'll go when it's ready.
Having a lovely day here. Weird snow and sun...
More sunshine will help. At least it has in Boston. Mostly.
Mycroft, I have to salute your google-fu. I've been toying with your suggestions about Lestrade's plans for John's birthday off and on, and I'm still clueless.
rsf
yay for sunshine :-) it improves the mood no end doesn't it?
glad your day is going well guys, enjoy art class later :-)
Your boat - ha! Very nice, and welcome - whether you want to post again or not.
Fen - at least it's not Wolverhampton, 'the worst city'... I've never been to Wolverhampton, but surely that can't be true.
Depends on your definition of 'worst'.
Have you been there?
Nope. But I've been to places that surely challenge it for the title.
Agreed.
Mind you, bit of London are the worst. Like the bit I used to live in ;)
Hm... if you're only counting UK cities... maybe.
Oh, yeah, I was definitely just counting the uk
John didn't let me make him a lovely flowery Easter bonnet, everyone.
I never stopped you from making it... just said I wasn't likely to wear it home.
Bet John the underwear model would have worn it for Greg the florist.
I enjoyed painting my egg, anyway. And am hoping Sherlock's painting on my arm might wash off before too long...
John-I've never been to Wolverhampton either, so am not qualified to comment! After reading the map though, I'm now wondering wether I could claim to live nearer Cambridge than Ippy :/
Hope you're all having a good evening
Fen x
John, what did you make? I assume it wasn't an Easter bonnet.
My part of the country doesn't seem to be worth a mention at all :(
Fen - Sherlock has, after extensive research, decided I cough 'the best' with my head tilted back.
I'm unsure as to his criteria.
I'm sure you can claim to be nearer Cambridge :) We won't tell anyone ;)
L - I'm sure he would've, but I've already got your hand print on my bum, I felt that was enough.
Fen - I'm still trying to work out why Cambridge is posh but Oxford is hellish...
SH - I made a... thing. it's mainly unidentifiable.
It's a pretty thing! what more does it need to be?
It is kind of fun messing around with all that like we're back in school.
yeah, and watching Sherlock getting stuck in to making a mess :)
I am kind of sad I won't be able to go to them all now.
Me too, it's nice having you there.
...although work probably wouldn't appreciate my new 'tattoo' Sherlock's provided me with...so perhaps best I'm not at ALL of them.
Surely no one could object to such a fetching... What is it exactly?
It's SPRING like Mrs N said it's green and colours like flowers and Lestrade says it's like Spring on acid but I don't know what that is.
It's a fantastic representation of Spring, yes. Very...colourful. And swirly.
Yes, spring, I can definitely see that.
Only place you can see it... there's none out the window!
There's supposed to be sun tomorrow...theoretically...
Too bad there's no way to email weather. Because you could have a chunk of our 30+ degrees any time you like!
And a day of serious cold would feel very good indeed.
I spent yesterday erecting several large tents and shovelling horse manure in 30degC with 84% humidity. I was Not Impressed.
(another reason I'm glad to have switched from riding 4 legs to riding 2 wheels. Motorcycles do not need twice daily feeds and mucking out)
Yeah, we've got enough needs feeding around here!
John-Cambridge is posh because it's near me? :-)
No, I don't know either. The truth is that I am still much nearer Ippy, dammit, not for lack of trying lol!
Better get on, school run and all the fun that brings-have a great day, everyone,.
Fen x
I feel for Mrs N today. Sherlock is very excited.
Have you got nice things planned for the holidays Fen?
Have a few ideas for the half term..it's my eldests birthday this Sunday, he will be 13, and has asked for a pub lunch, so that's easily do-able, then mostly I think it will be to just keep the kids from killing each other, have another son whois 5, and a daughter of 3, so busy,busy! Just praying for some warmer weather..is that too much to ask? :-)
Fen x
Ah, shares a birthday with John :)
I'm assuming we'll be having a big slap up lunch too. But I'll probably cook. The place we'r staying has a pretty nice looking kitchen.
Sadly warmer weather may be too much to ask though! You do sound like you've got your hands full.
Is Sherlock in for a full day or finishing at lunch time? We're finishing in just under an hour, well the kids are, we'll be here quite a lot longer!
I hope you all of you have a wonderful time
Lancs. Anon
Full day - which is good, as I have somewhere I need to take John first :)
I don't think they're doing anything too strenuous though. Lots of fun and games to run off the excess energy.
Mmmmm that sounds interesting!
Sorry if I'm late to the party but I'm fairly sure Luton was once actually voted worst town in England.
Having been born there I can heartily agree.
I think Hull has been, too, Trills.
Didn't want to offend anyone though :)
What was that Betjeman poem about Slough?
Come friendly bombs, fall on Slough,
It isn't fit for humans now
Slough's got to have a claim, surely
Lancs. Anon(Briefly joining the list of people who are off when Sherlock is still at school, sorry)
Post a Comment