Nothing bad. Well, not bad on a personal level. Still trying to think how to help Mary and her mum. I ought to sleep now though, or I'll be useless tomorrow.
I think you need to gather more facts before you can make a pattern of any of it. Can you maybe set it aside until you've got more pieces of the puzzle?
This is a fabulous picture! I would absolutely have to fan myself should I have been there when that was taken! Possibly in need of smelling salts. >_>
John, you are devious! Waiting for him to be asleep!
No real story. There was a pond up in the woods not too far from the village, local kids used to swim in it. Was always bloody freezing, because it was from a spring, but good fun. We'd all head up there after school or at the weekend when it was hot. There was a rope swing from a branch you could launch yourself off, all that. It's the sort of thing I imagine kids today miss out on, and end up playing computer games instead.
SH, i'm trying. Still making not sense of what training they've booked me for, and the Super wants to see me later, so all good fun...
Initial Firearms Course. That's like, the basic course you get put on if it's likely you'll need to use a firearms in your duties. No one in this entire department has that, or needs it.
Sounds ridiculous. Anyway, either the Super will tell me why, or he'll tell me to leave the training co-ordinator alone and stop hassling him,I suppose... Either way, hopefully get some answers. Maybe it'll just be for tasers, I know they keep telling us we might get them. But doesn't explain why none of the rest of my team are doing it.
Look...I know how you feel about guns. I'll talk to her if you really don't want to do this. She'll reconsider. She's a good person, she just hides it well sometimes.
She rang up - bloody rang the super in the middle of us talking. Sent him out if his own office so she could talk to me! Christ, it was like having your mum ring school or something.
Some of what she said made sense. Still not exactly happy about it, but...we can talk about it.
Now I can just tell him I'm undercover or something. Or pretend to call Mrs H.
How did you feel, the first time you held a gun that actually had the purpose of killing someone, instead of just shooting targets? I mean, I think I'll enjoy that, to an extent. Just not the thought of why I'm doing it.
Well.. I don't think so, Nameless. There has, thankfully, been no talk if me taking the firearms officer course, just the basic one, which teaches you about handling weapons, safety, good practice and they put you through loads and loads of scenarios, so ... that makes me feel a bit better. I don't think anyone's suggesting I carry a weapon all the time. And I hope it stays that way.
Greg - It sounds like she wants you to be comfortable with guns (knowing how to handle them, secure them, and so on) instead of anything else. While the timing is a bit odd (with Mary's mother's case), you could look at it as another sign that she is preparing you for future emergencies.
I mean, she hired John as her children's caretaker: a (handsome) ex-RAMC officer who has been in combat. That's...not the usual kind of CV caretakers have... (John, no offense intended at all. You and Greg are probably two of the best people in the boys' lives.)
Maybe, in a Heaven-forbid situation, Mrs. H wants to make sure that John has some kind of backup if he needs it, and/or if guns show up, no one is going to end up accidentally shot.
*hugs?*
Oh, and John? That is a very nice picture of Lestrade. :)
Yeah, I know, that's the bit that makes sense. It's... I don't know, I suppose I don't feel like I ever want the responsibility of having to make that life-or-death decision. But I don't suppose the training can do any harm just feels very real and very out if my comfort zone.
How did you feel, the first time you held a gun that actually had the purpose of killing someone, instead of just shooting targets?
...Mainly I tried not to think about it. It wasn't supposed to happen, it was incredibly unlikely in most of the situations I was in, and I had my family's standard repression and denial to fall back on. And once it had happened...it seemed like there was even less point in thinking about it. It wasn't going to change anything.
Sorry. That wasn't a very helpful answer. But that's all I've got.
It is out of your comfort zone and a heavy responsibility to carry. I think it's a reflection of your good character that you are worried about this. Just... don't borrow trouble from tomorrow?
For me, my future career might put me around weapons quite often. That's one of the reasons I've been thinking about taking gun lessons. I don't want to own or use a gun, but I could end up in some very dangerous places and, Heaven forbid, if something bad happens, I want to at least know where the safety is on a weapon.
It was helpful. I'm up to round about 'incredibly unlikely', and hope I never get to 'once it had happened'.
I don't know, there's such a macho thing going on, with people who want to shoot things. Nice to know I'm not totally abnormal in not liking the idea, once it's a reality.
For whatever it's worth, L...there came a point in my t'ai chi training when I realized that if I kept it up, I'd be able to kill people with my bare hands--break a neck, stop a heart. I had to decide if that was something I wanted to be able to do. And after giving it very careful thought I realized that while I'm not quite sure if I'd be able to kill to protect my own life (I hope I would, but I don't know), I would kill to protect the people I love with no hesitation at all.
It's not a part of myself I'm either proud of or entirely comfortable with, but it's fact.
I hope you won't too. And it is incredibly unlikely. That's why the security team's here, that's why I'm here, and it's completely possible no one will even try anything again. As far as I know, that business on the moors was the first time and it could easily be the last.
Fair enough, Lestrade. It just feels like you feel like you don't have a choice - and I think everyone should be able to choose not to pick up a gun.
Don't get me wrong, I think the boys' Mum is seven shades of awesome. And I know I'm on dangerous ground here. But ringing the Super, pulling rank to kick him out of his own office in front of one if his team, and not discussing any of this with Lestrade first, before arranging it? Not cool, Mrs H. Not cool.
It'll take an hour and half/hour forty-five to get there
That long?! ;)
If you like sushi/ramen, there's a place called Teri-aki/Aki-teri on the river that was well-liked. And there's a French-type place called Cafe' Rouge near there as well. They're both near Jesus Green.
Re: weapons -- the people who are blase' about them are exactly the people who shouldn't have them. Whatever you decide Lestrade, that you're putting such thought into it is a sign of something good.
Yeah, I sort of don't. But...well, in a situation where I really didn't have a choice - I mean, if we ever were in a situation like on the moors - then I probably should know which end is which, and how to handle a pistol, I suppose, for safety, if nothing else.
But yeah, would have been easier if it were done more...I don't know. Just differently.
I know she can be...persuasive. In the same way that the sea can be a little damp. But don't let her talk you into anything you don't want to do, all right?
So, can you refer yourself to physio for your shoulder? Or can you get Sarah to? Or what happens there - as in, have you sorted it out? (I only ask cos we'll spend a time on the bike tomorrow, and when you're riding yourself, depending on the bike, it can be hard on your arms/wrists/shoulders.)
I've got an appointment, but not till next month. Same woman who was helping me when I got out of hospital. And by helping, I mean of course causing me intense pain. There may be some whinging when I get home.
I think that the firearms course may help you with your mixed feelings about this, Lestrade. They'll be talking about the decisions one has to make when wielding a firearm for security reasons (as opposed to target shooting or hunting), and they'll talk about how to do things safely once you have decided on a course of action.
Human cultures have built up incredible layers of meaning that they ascribe to weapons, but I feel that comprehending weapons as tools, and understanding their capabilities, can be really helpful in understanding all those meanings we attach to the tools. Now, I'm from the gun-happy midwestern United States originally, and I haven't had personal security firearms training, but I _do_ feel more secure around firearms for having had basic firearms training from people who cared very much about safety and loved me very much.
I think the way this came about was almost certainly going to set your teeth on edge, which is too bad. But I think the training itself is going to help you sort out your feelings about the tools.
Lestrade - I don't think Mrs. H went about it the right way, but I do think it's a good idea for you to be familiar with weapons. I think anytime you have a gun in the house it's smart for those who are going to be near them to understand them. Even if you never touch one yourself.
I do think you'll get a kick out of shooting, though, if you get to practice. Handguns can be scary, and I much prefer rifles, but shooting can be fun.
John, I think whining is a necessary part of physio, lol. Last time I saw my physical therapist he left bruises on my legs and had me walk over an hour on the treadmill. I whined, but considering I couldn't even walk 10 minutes when I first started going to him, he called me a baby and offered to increase the treadmill incline.
No, it's better this way. I can start doing some of the exercises I was meant to be doing...a year and a half ago.
Pip - ha, such a kind man... Good progress though, impressive! I also hope mine goes better, but I am already fairly sure it won't given I ignored basically everything she told me to do after our last appointment.
Well, I'm more than happy to help. If you get any of those terrible fuzzy photocopies of exercises to do, then I'm always looking for more excuses to get my hands on your body.
All doctors are sadists, so why should physios be any different? ;)
I had physio for my right hand after I had the thumb fused, and that was okay--but she also gave me stuff to do for the other fingers that surgeon said was useless, the problem is in the ligaments rather than the muscles.
(So you don't have to ask--they've got too long to hold the fingers in the right place--subluxation, I think? Is that the right word? The ligaments slip off to the side of the knuckles so the fingers skew to the side when relaxed. No physio will work on that.)
Body position on the bike makes a difference, but the real key is relaxed arms. If you are holding yourself up by your arms you are doing it wrong!
You need strong core muscles to give the back muscles something to pull against to hold your body up. Anything that uses the belly muscles will do... You also need to make sure you aren't over-arching the lower back.
If you have a stiff shoulder then pay lots of attention to the bike riding position. Some have the arms further away than the others, and this is definitely important if you are compact sized.
Big blokes never realise just how much they rely on leg and arm length to manage a bike. Us shortarses have to learn many tricks of balance and planning which they never do.
Guzzi used to make a bike called a Quota, the general consensus was they should provide a stepladder. A 6'5" friend had one and used to giggle a lot at 6 footers who had never had a problem managing a bike discover how much they didn't know about balance and moving a bike at slow speed without using your feet.
The physio I had after my first knee surgery (ACL reconstruction with hamstrings and cartilage clean-up) said that if I didn't hate him he wasn't doing his job right! Big strapping rugby boy he was - very useful, especially when I passed out in my second session - came too in a darkened cold room with my feet elevated by tilting a hospital bed... if it's going to go wrong - GO BIG!! Apparently he caught me on the way down because he realised that I was about to thump the newly recreated joint into the concrete... I wasn't really supposed to be off crutches at that point but I wasn't allowed them in the gym.... git.
There's a reason they're known as physio-terrorists...
I put 'other', wthout really knowing what I meant...it was sort of already got some of the above, don't want any of the others, but haven't ruled anything out...but you didn't have a button for that :)
I am undoubtedly too late for the conversation, but your discussion about physio has reminded me about my own experiences. I've been in and out of physical and occupational therapy my entire life (I'd be in it full time if it weren't for finicky insurance in the US) due to extensive nerve damage to my right arm I received as a newborn.
When I was five, I had a very hazy dream for the future that included full-range of motion and actual muscle mass in my right arm. And, because time makes little sense to a child, I thought it'd be better by now. 18 was the magical age of adulthood, and it was supposed to be the magical age of all-better, too. True, 19 is not too far from that previous goal (and, in truth, I certainly don't feel like an adult!) and I have to believe that one day, I will not be in pain every hour, I will be able to raise my hand above my head, I will be able to hold things in my hand without dropping them, and everything will work properly.
Perhaps that day is far-off, considering I'm still about 9 degrees away from my elbow being able to properly straighten, but I will get there. :)
Apologies for word-vomiting on your blog! I hope that by hearing of your sessions and exercises, you'll remind me to do mine.
O - I wish you the very best of luck. It's not easy, I know. I hope you can achieve your goals well before you feel like an adult - some days I don't feel like one at all, and I'm 41!
107 comments:
What an adorable smile. How devious, Doc! Well done. You alright? You're up awfully late.
Just thinking, I suppose. And deviously waiting up to post this, of course.
Not thinking about anything bad? Deviousness is always worth a little less sleep. Or so I've heard. :)
Awww, so cute!
And you, John--verrrrrry sneaky! [imaginary LIKE button] :D
(But you did post this awfully late--I hope you're asleep now.)
Nothing bad. Well, not bad on a personal level. Still trying to think how to help Mary and her mum. I ought to sleep now though, or I'll be useless tomorrow.
I think you need to gather more facts before you can make a pattern of any of it. Can you maybe set it aside until you've got more pieces of the puzzle?
This is a fabulous picture! I would absolutely have to fan myself should I have been there when that was taken! Possibly in need of smelling salts. >_>
John, you are devious! Waiting for him to be asleep!
Greg, you look AMAZING. Accept no substitutions!
Baa ha ha ha haaaa! That's amazing. Greg is adorkable! And smiling! And it looks like quite young and cold.
Heh heh heh,
Bronwyn
What an adorable picture! And he does have a sweet smile.
Hubba hubba.
You git.
Now, now--he's brightened my sleepless hours, that ought to earn some gratitude!
Not from me :)
Aw, very sweet. And a lovely smile, too.
L - have a good day at work!
So, what's the story of this one, Lestrade (or Nicky)? Or can we guess?
No real story. There was a pond up in the woods not too far from the village, local kids used to swim in it. Was always bloody freezing, because it was from a spring, but good fun. We'd all head up there after school or at the weekend when it was hot. There was a rope swing from a branch you could launch yourself off, all that. It's the sort of thing I imagine kids today miss out on, and end up playing computer games instead.
SH, i'm trying. Still making not sense of what training they've booked me for, and the Super wants to see me later, so all good fun...
Hope all goes well with the Super. Do you sit there wondering what you've done this time when he wants to see you?
SH
Look on the bright side L, at least there's no embarrassing fashion involved.
You git.
:)
Did they not tell you what training it is? That seems a bit odd.
Oh, theyve told me, it's just...not training I should be doing! It's insane.
SH, yes, I do!
Danger, is your background snow?
I'm crushed.
:)
Perhaps what the Super wants to see you about will explain the training?
(If so, should we be worried?)
It is snow.
So what training is it?
Initial Firearms Course. That's like, the basic course you get put on if it's likely you'll need to use a firearms in your duties. No one in this entire department has that, or needs it.
That...sounds a bit worrying.
Ah--when is this meeting with your Super, anyway?
Sounds ridiculous. Anyway, either the Super will tell me why, or he'll tell me to leave the training co-ordinator alone and stop hassling him,I suppose... Either way, hopefully get some answers. Maybe it'll just be for tasers, I know they keep telling us we might get them. But doesn't explain why none of the rest of my team are doing it.
They would tell you if you were being reassigned or something, wouldn't they?
Bloody hope so!
And meeting's at 3. Not long to wait now.
Right, good.
Just throwing a thought out there, Lestrade, but perhaps She Who Must Not Be Named has something to do with this?
Should be at 3, but he's late back from lunch...
Piplover, I did think along this lines...hopefully this will clear it up.
Oh, what an adorable picture! Even if I do want to get the poor young L a towel and a hot drink.
Good luck with your investigation, John. I'm sure you'll make a great success of it. Sorry I'm so late in saying so.
(My charge is now six today, too. We've been busy preparing. Pink strawberry cupcakes were the only way to go for him.)
I'm sure Sherlock would approve (at least he would if he got some too). Happy birthday to him, and I hope you all have a great day.
And thanks - doing my best.
Mmmmmm, cupcakes. Yes, I have the palate of a six-year-old. :) Happy birthday to yours, Maz!
Right. That's all sorted then.
I'm doing it, I don't have a choice, the super doesn't have a choice, and the more confused it seemed, the clearer it became.
...Is it Mrs H then?
I sincerely hope it's not because she thinks you'll need that kind of backup, John--but if she does, she's definitely picked the right person.
Look...I know how you feel about guns. I'll talk to her if you really don't want to do this. She'll reconsider. She's a good person, she just hides it well sometimes.
I dunno. We can talk about it.
She rang up - bloody rang the super in the middle of us talking. Sent him out if his own office so she could talk to me! Christ, it was like having your mum ring school or something.
Some of what she said made sense. Still not exactly happy about it, but...we can talk about it.
...Tact is not one of her best things.
All right, when you get home then.
Well, the Super now thinks I'm moonlighting for the secret service or something. So it's not all bad.
Wouldn't have killed her to talk to me about it first though. Or get you or Anthea to.
Heh. I imagine he wont be telling you to get a decent haircut and neaten again up anytime soon.
I do need a haircut though...
Now I can just tell him I'm undercover or something. Or pretend to call Mrs H.
How did you feel, the first time you held a gun that actually had the purpose of killing someone, instead of just shooting targets? I mean, I think I'll enjoy that, to an extent. Just not the thought of why I'm doing it.
By 'that' I mean the training, learning, targets etc
Let me think about that one fora bit.
Jeez, Lestrade, a gun? Bloody hell. (My phone doesn't know the word 'hell', FFS).
I just... a *gun*?
Well.. I don't think so, Nameless. There has, thankfully, been no talk if me taking the firearms officer course, just the basic one, which teaches you about handling weapons, safety, good practice and they put you through loads and loads of scenarios, so ... that makes me feel a bit better. I don't think anyone's suggesting I carry a weapon all the time. And I hope it stays that way.
Greg - It sounds like she wants you to be comfortable with guns (knowing how to handle them, secure them, and so on) instead of anything else. While the timing is a bit odd (with Mary's mother's case), you could look at it as another sign that she is preparing you for future emergencies.
I mean, she hired John as her children's caretaker: a (handsome) ex-RAMC officer who has been in combat. That's...not the usual kind of CV caretakers have... (John, no offense intended at all. You and Greg are probably two of the best people in the boys' lives.)
Maybe, in a Heaven-forbid situation, Mrs. H wants to make sure that John has some kind of backup if he needs it, and/or if guns show up, no one is going to end up accidentally shot.
*hugs?*
Oh, and John? That is a very nice picture of Lestrade. :)
~A from NW
Yeah, I know, that's the bit that makes sense. It's... I don't know, I suppose I don't feel like I ever want the responsibility of having to make that life-or-death decision. But I don't suppose the training can do any harm just feels very real and very out if my comfort zone.
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, eh, L?
(And that is a *very* nice photo.)
Captcha says: "Worken" so, I'll get back to work. ;)
you don't seem to have trouble rising to the occasion before Lestrade.
You may find that squeezing and holding and getting your barrel properly lined up just comes naturally to you.
How did you feel, the first time you held a gun that actually had the purpose of killing someone, instead of just shooting targets?
...Mainly I tried not to think about it. It wasn't supposed to happen, it was incredibly unlikely in most of the situations I was in, and I had my family's standard repression and denial to fall back on. And once it had happened...it seemed like there was even less point in thinking about it. It wasn't going to change anything.
Sorry. That wasn't a very helpful answer. But that's all I've got.
It is out of your comfort zone and a heavy responsibility to carry. I think it's a reflection of your good character that you are worried about this. Just... don't borrow trouble from tomorrow?
For me, my future career might put me around weapons quite often. That's one of the reasons I've been thinking about taking gun lessons. I don't want to own or use a gun, but I could end up in some very dangerous places and, Heaven forbid, if something bad happens, I want to at least know where the safety is on a weapon.
~A from NW
It was helpful. I'm up to round about 'incredibly unlikely', and hope I never get to 'once it had happened'.
I don't know, there's such a macho thing going on, with people who want to shoot things. Nice to know I'm not totally abnormal in not liking the idea, once it's a reality.
For whatever it's worth, L...there came a point in my t'ai chi training when I realized that if I kept it up, I'd be able to kill people with my bare hands--break a neck, stop a heart. I had to decide if that was something I wanted to be able to do. And after giving it very careful thought I realized that while I'm not quite sure if I'd be able to kill to protect my own life (I hope I would, but I don't know), I would kill to protect the people I love with no hesitation at all.
It's not a part of myself I'm either proud of or entirely comfortable with, but it's fact.
Oh, and I like your new background very much, John, even though it makes me feel cold just to look at!
and hope I never get to 'once it had happened'.
I hope you won't too. And it is incredibly unlikely. That's why the security team's here, that's why I'm here, and it's completely possible no one will even try anything again. As far as I know, that business on the moors was the first time and it could easily be the last.
RR - thanks, I'm hoping to encourage the weather!
I love it when it snows (so long as I don't absolutely have to be anywhere)! It's a very cozy feeling from indoors.
I bet Sherlock wouldn't be letting you stay indoors if you get a good solid snowfall, though... :)
There's a sharp line between the abstract and the reality.
You're definitely not abnormal in being aware of the potential consequences.
*hugs you and John*
~A from NW
Why have you made it snow on a page I'm rather naked on? brrr.
Snow and a naked Lestallion - I'm not sure my brain can cope ;)
L - I'll be happy to warm you up.
You squeal when I put my cold feet on you! You'll have to prove your warm intentions :)
But I still let you do it!
You do indeed. Your caring side knows no bounds.
You at the surgery again next week?
Yeah, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday mornings.
Oh, you're off work tomorrow! I almost forgot.
I am! And the next day! And the day after that! And by the time I go back everyone will think I've been on a James Bond style mission, after today! :)
Ha. I cannot wait to see what Sally has to say about this new aspect of your reputation.
Well, the two of you are planning to go to Mary's mother's flat, aren't you? Mission! :)
Yeah, we doing that tomorrow? It'll take an hour and half/hour forty-five to get there, at least.
Tomorrow's probably best, yeah. We'll have the whole day.
shall I run down and ask Mrs H if she can be on standby to pick up Sherlock, just in case we don't get back on time?
And seek out a good Cambridge pub for lunch...
Mm, yeah. Excellent plan.
Fair enough, Lestrade. It just feels like you feel like you don't have a choice - and I think everyone should be able to choose not to pick up a gun.
Don't get me wrong, I think the boys' Mum is seven shades of awesome. And I know I'm on dangerous ground here. But ringing the Super, pulling rank to kick him out of his own office in front of one if his team, and not discussing any of this with Lestrade first, before arranging it? Not cool, Mrs H. Not cool.
It'll take an hour and half/hour forty-five to get there
That long?! ;)
If you like sushi/ramen, there's a place called Teri-aki/Aki-teri on the river that was well-liked. And there's a French-type place called Cafe' Rouge near there as well. They're both near Jesus Green.
Re: weapons -- the people who are blase' about them are exactly the people who shouldn't have them. Whatever you decide Lestrade, that you're putting such thought into it is a sign of something good.
Yeah, I sort of don't. But...well, in a situation where I really didn't have a choice - I mean, if we ever were in a situation like on the moors - then I probably should know which end is which, and how to handle a pistol, I suppose, for safety, if nothing else.
But yeah, would have been easier if it were done more...I don't know. Just differently.
I know she can be...persuasive. In the same way that the sea can be a little damp. But don't let her talk you into anything you don't want to do, all right?
Mmm. I'll try. I don't know. We'll talk, yeah? Tomorrow? There's things I don't want to ask on here.
Yeah, of course. Whatever you want.
So, can you refer yourself to physio for your shoulder? Or can you get Sarah to? Or what happens there - as in, have you sorted it out? (I only ask cos we'll spend a time on the bike tomorrow, and when you're riding yourself, depending on the bike, it can be hard on your arms/wrists/shoulders.)
I've got an appointment, but not till next month. Same woman who was helping me when I got out of hospital. And by helping, I mean of course causing me intense pain. There may be some whinging when I get home.
I think that the firearms course may help you with your mixed feelings about this, Lestrade. They'll be talking about the decisions one has to make when wielding a firearm for security reasons (as opposed to target shooting or hunting), and they'll talk about how to do things safely once you have decided on a course of action.
Human cultures have built up incredible layers of meaning that they ascribe to weapons, but I feel that comprehending weapons as tools, and understanding their capabilities, can be really helpful in understanding all those meanings we attach to the tools. Now, I'm from the gun-happy midwestern United States originally, and I haven't had personal security firearms training, but I _do_ feel more secure around firearms for having had basic firearms training from people who cared very much about safety and loved me very much.
I think the way this came about was almost certainly going to set your teeth on edge, which is too bad. But I think the training itself is going to help you sort out your feelings about the tools.
Lestrade - I don't think Mrs. H went about it the right way, but I do think it's a good idea for you to be familiar with weapons. I think anytime you have a gun in the house it's smart for those who are going to be near them to understand them. Even if you never touch one yourself.
I do think you'll get a kick out of shooting, though, if you get to practice. Handguns can be scary, and I much prefer rifles, but shooting can be fun.
John, I think whining is a necessary part of physio, lol. Last time I saw my physical therapist he left bruises on my legs and had me walk over an hour on the treadmill. I whined, but considering I couldn't even walk 10 minutes when I first started going to him, he called me a baby and offered to increase the treadmill incline.
I hope your physio goes a bit better!
Mmm, the joys of the NHS - such quick service! Still, a month is pretty good.
You know, if you want, you can go private. It's not like we can't afford it. Up to you.
You're quite welcome to whinge. You've put up with enough from me, it's all I can do to return the favour.
No, it's better this way. I can start doing some of the exercises I was meant to be doing...a year and a half ago.
Pip - ha, such a kind man... Good progress though, impressive! I also hope mine goes better, but I am already fairly sure it won't given I ignored basically everything she told me to do after our last appointment.
Well, I'm more than happy to help. If you get any of those terrible fuzzy photocopies of exercises to do, then I'm always looking for more excuses to get my hands on your body.
All doctors are sadists, so why should physios be any different? ;)
I had physio for my right hand after I had the thumb fused, and that was okay--but she also gave me stuff to do for the other fingers that surgeon said was useless, the problem is in the ligaments rather than the muscles.
(So you don't have to ask--they've got too long to hold the fingers in the right place--subluxation, I think? Is that the right word? The ligaments slip off to the side of the knuckles so the fingers skew to the side when relaxed. No physio will work on that.)
I lost my terrible fuzzy photocopies but fortunately (?) she's emailing me more...
Ha! Come on, get to bed. You can warm up my feet and my nipples. I cannot describe how weird they feel when they get cold.
Ha. Your own personal bed warmer, that's me. Let's go.
Body position on the bike makes a difference, but the real key is relaxed arms. If you are holding yourself up by your arms you are doing it wrong!
You need strong core muscles to give the back muscles something to pull against to hold your body up. Anything that uses the belly muscles will do... You also need to make sure you aren't over-arching the lower back.
If you have a stiff shoulder then pay lots of attention to the bike riding position. Some have the arms further away than the others, and this is definitely important if you are compact sized.
Big blokes never realise just how much they rely on leg and arm length to manage a bike. Us shortarses have to learn many tricks of balance and planning which they never do.
Guzzi used to make a bike called a Quota, the general consensus was they should provide a stepladder. A 6'5" friend had one and used to giggle a lot at 6 footers who had never had a problem managing a bike discover how much they didn't know about balance and moving a bike at slow speed without using your feet.
(those of us under 5'6" laughed outright)
That picture - which is delightful - made me drop my phone! But I do think you should join him for the next one, John.
The physio I had after my first knee surgery (ACL reconstruction with hamstrings and cartilage clean-up) said that if I didn't hate him he wasn't doing his job right! Big strapping rugby boy he was - very useful, especially when I passed out in my second session - came too in a darkened cold room with my feet elevated by tilting a hospital bed... if it's going to go wrong - GO BIG!! Apparently he caught me on the way down because he realised that I was about to thump the newly recreated joint into the concrete... I wasn't really supposed to be off crutches at that point but I wasn't allowed them in the gym.... git.
There's a reason they're known as physio-terrorists...
Kira
xoxo
Dear John,
You poll needs radio buttons not ticky buttons,
regards,
Nameless
You just got a Dear John letter!
(I did think the same thing)
Ha. Not the first one either.
Nameless - sorry, I did think of that, but a few people had already voted. Maybe I'll do another one.
I put 'other', wthout really knowing what I meant...it was sort of already got some of the above, don't want any of the others, but haven't ruled anything out...but you didn't have a button for that :)
Heh. No worries, I'll vote differently from all my votable devices :-p
I wanted one that said "I don't want any piercings" 'cos I'm a wuss.
Got to agree with Small Hobbit
You didn't have belly button as a choice! Which is probably the only one I would get, even if the idea does make me wince.
I dunno how well the snow background is working for your weather, but they're predicting several inches of snow for Ny tonight/tomorrow... :)
I am undoubtedly too late for the conversation, but your discussion about physio has reminded me about my own experiences. I've been in and out of physical and occupational therapy my entire life (I'd be in it full time if it weren't for finicky insurance in the US) due to extensive nerve damage to my right arm I received as a newborn.
When I was five, I had a very hazy dream for the future that included full-range of motion and actual muscle mass in my right arm. And, because time makes little sense to a child, I thought it'd be better by now. 18 was the magical age of adulthood, and it was supposed to be the magical age of all-better, too. True, 19 is not too far from that previous goal (and, in truth, I certainly don't feel like an adult!) and I have to believe that one day, I will not be in pain every hour, I will be able to raise my hand above my head, I will be able to hold things in my hand without dropping them, and everything will work properly.
Perhaps that day is far-off, considering I'm still about 9 degrees away from my elbow being able to properly straighten, but I will get there. :)
Apologies for word-vomiting on your blog! I hope that by hearing of your sessions and exercises, you'll remind me to do mine.
Thanks,
O
O - I wish you the very best of luck. It's not easy, I know. I hope you can achieve your goals well before you feel like an adult - some days I don't feel like one at all, and I'm 41!
Post a Comment