There was going to be a story here which I could trade for DW's one about snowballs...but I'll do that tomorrow. I think this should stand on its own.
And the face I imagine L is going to make when he sees it....
There are a few more, but I feel they're best strung out, possibly over a few weeks.
147 comments:
I...
...
.... believe I was very hungover in that second one.
Oh, wonderful :-D Thank you John, thank you Nicky.
Lestrade - what were you wearing in that first one? You look adorable in that second one (if's that's what you look like when you're very hungover, I may just have to cry). Nice rings, too :-p
I'm wearing my dressing gown in the first one. First smoke and drink of the day...(yeah, I know. I think Nicky told me off at the time.)
There really is no need to encourage either of them.
I second Nameless - you look too good to be hungover there. Though the expression is accurate.
I look like I'm about to vomit! (I may have been. I was introducing Nicky to London nightlife the week these were taken. Sadly someone had introduced her to her own camera not long before.)
I would write that someone a thank you note if only I knew who they were.
The sheer amount of bling in those photos is blinding me. I think I need to put my sunglasses on.
Maz...my only defence is...no, actually, I don't have one. It is a lot of bling.
I'm with Maz. My goodness those are some rings. You were a cute young thing weren't you though.
In my defence, they doubled as brass knuckles, when there was trouble.
(knew I'd think of something.)
Oh, you have so cheered me up, John!
(Put it down to doing a good deed, L. :))
I'm... kind of speechless. Was this in the 80s? If so, there's your defense right there.
In my defence, they doubled as brass knuckles, when there was trouble.
and the bracelets? And the necklaces?
ligatures. And cuffs. Honest.
I'd like to say that "it was the 80's" is always a good defense. When I came downstairs the other day in my new outfit and husband asked me if it was *still* the 80's...less of one.
(Wearing it anyway, the fun-killer.)
It may well have been the 80s. Possibly very early 90s. But yeah, it didn't seem so bad at the time!
Must have been early in your career before you learned the cuffs go on the bad guys not on you.
(Unless there's something you aren't telling us about that early career...)
*wild giggling* It's the RETURN OF DI GUYLINER
And I remain firmly on the "freaking cute" bandwagon. Though, I must add a "looking a bit like a teen vampire" sidecar.
Bronwyn
reCaptcha says: inxs I think it knows.
ITA, Maz--"it was the 80s" IS always a good excuse. (I had a perm. Need I say more?)
Greg? Where were you that had bismuth pink walls?
Bronwyn
RR - I resisted the urge to get a footballer perm, thankfully.
Bronwyn - a terrible flat in a great location, which had previously been lived in by someone who thought they had brilliant interior decorating taste. The bathroom was bright blue with faux paint effect marble, one bedroom was yellow, the other green, the living room an alarmingly bright purple and red combo. They were also responsible for the zebra print fridge behind me.
Who was the previous tenant? Adam Ant? Boy George? Sakes alive.
Bronwyn
I am 5'2" with a proportionally small head. A perm was not the best idea...
Group of girls - worked in fashion, I think. I only met them when they came to pick up their post. The one who came around was a bit put out when the flirting didn't lead to me offering to help her find the 'thing' she thought she'd left in the bedroom...
Innocence comes in many shapes and sizes. And, it would seem, with surprising taste in interior design.
innocence...yeah.
And the pictures behind you on the fridge? Because they appear to match the decor quite well.
I really can't remember what they're of. I think the bottom one is me and a friend. The magnet above...no idea.
Re: pictures vs. shenanigans
Good decision, Doc.
Okay, innocence was the wrong word. How about naïveté?
err...still not sure about that, RR. (unless you mean me, in which case, yes, innocence all over.)
I think it's more a story of...unfounded expectations, RR. ;)
Yes, L, you do look adorable in those pics. Can't wait to see the rest!
And because I'm tired and my brain is taken up with thoughts of you being innocent (?) and Danger in a mini skirt, this is all I can offer:
On the eleventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me:
Eleven lost of gold bling
Ten groans for working
Nine poohs for cleaning
Eight res-o-lu-tions
Seven oohs and aahs-ing
Six strings a-strumming
Five sa-ad smiles
Four mugs of coffee
Three cups of decaff
Two body piercings
And a degu in a Christmas tree
(And no, L, I didn't mean you. Although that would clearly have made more sense.)
Ha, I was just checking - none of you seem to believe in my pure innocence.
But DW's right. She made a bold play. But I was batting for the other side ;)
That's more or less what I was trying, however incoherently, to convey...that that possibility went straight by without entering her head.
(Or even that a male-type person might just not find her interesting.)
The latter, more so.
More arrogance than innocence, I think. She couldn't believe I wouldn't go in there with her...and then once she was in there she was fairly shocked. Probably couldn't believe anyone wouldn't fancy the fairer sex ;) but I had...well, my room didn't leave too much to the imagination. Had to cover up that bright paintwork with something, didn't I? :)
And now I must go...there's a male-type person in bed who I find very interesting.
It's a shame we're not submitting questions anymore. I'd love to know who you had plastered on your walls.
Had to cover up that bright paintwork with something, didn't I?
Indubitably. :)
John, you make everything better.
L - was growing that sense of shame so late in life painful? (It's really not fair, though, that you look so cute when you're supposedly feeling miserable.)
I think any sense of shame I had/have was carefully nurtured by others, and yes, very painful.
John is working hard to make me shameless again though.
Right. The shamlessness is all on Doc's part. Clearly. :P
I'll be honest, I didn't really understand... I don't think I really have much of a sense of shame? Embarrassment, maybe... but only because it was the 80s, and who isn't embarrassed by living through those times? :)
*shrug*
Couldn't tell you, since I don't remember the '80s. I know it was a very busy time for me, what with learning to walk and talk, etc. There may have been some counting involved?
:P
The BeeGees.
You'll have to help me more than that, RR.
Oh, sorry--you asked who isn't embarrassed by living through the 80s, and I said the BeeGees. (And if they are embarrassed, it's all their fault anyway.)
(Ignore me if I'm not making sense, I didn't get much sleep and I'm off to the hospital in about ten minutes.)
Good luck RR
Good luck RR
SH
I think the BeeGees are still in the 80s.
Hope your docs treat you as well as mine does me :)
No doc is as good as yours! But at least mine found nothing untoward.
And I now have only to deal with my usual reaction to anesthesia, which is never fun. (But definitely preferable to colon cancer, so no complaints. Or not many. :))
Glad to hear you're okay.
I've had a brilliant day. Mycroft and I headed out on the bike this morning - he wanted to see Hendon, so we headed up that way. He wasn't too keen on the bike in the gusts of wind, though. We got coffee, had a nice talk. He's going to get guitar lessons at school :)
Then got back to find Danger tackling the Christmas decorations, so helped pack those away, drag the tree to the tree recycling place, walk the dogs.
And I got bitten by a degu. all in a day's work...
I'm looking forward to more days off.
I'm not embarassed by the 80s. That's when I learned to ride motorcycles, and you'd be amazed how much a serious motorcycle habit can constrain your fashion choices.
(Mainly because once you get into Italian exotica you have no money for fancy clothes)
Sounds like a very nice day, Lestrade. :)
Rider, I assume by "Italian exotica" you mean Italian motorbikes" yes? :D
I have spent the last 48 minutes listening to an argument on where the colonel should stand for the national anthem, and we're only on page 1 of the 14-page script. Doesn't look like lunch will be any time soon. Can I come work for you Lestrade? I'd rather be bitten by a degu.
Surely the answer should be 'wherever he likes', DW?
She bit me because I failed to pay attention and release the celery I was holding at the appropriate moment. Little rat. :)
You'd be very welcome to work for me. I'd then free up even more time to be Danger's bit of 'Italian exotica' ;)
You assume a male colonel, Lestrade? Disappointing. That's going in my diary. ;)
The DJ at the holiday party did the same thing: asked for "Colonel G" to come up. When the colonel stood up and went towards the front, he said "Are you standing in for him?" *facepalm*
I've promised to "research it," which has stifled the argument.
Biting's a very effective way for a Degu to get what she wants, isn't it? :)
Ah, sorry...yes, I did. Mea maxima culpa. I apologise.
Worryingly it was a very effective bite. Hope she doesnt learn from it. (they have alarmingly Orange teeth. It's a bit scary.)
No worries. I wasn't actually offended. I get called sir at least four times a week. :)
Orange teeth?! Sounds frightening indeed.
What 'should' you be called? One of my DCIs is female, and the standard form of address is Ma'am. But most of my officers manage to make it sound like Mum. And there's a few officers prefer being called Sir regardless. I prefer 'Boss', myself.
Petty deep too, for such a little thing.
Alarmingly long, alarmingly orange, teeth!
Still, I was a brave boy, right, doc?
Of course! That's why you got the Little Mermaid plaster.
"ma'am" is proper, rhyming with ham. I always liked being called "ell tee" for lieutenant and once had a team who called me "Boss Lady" which was different. I'm actually not too fussed as long as it's not "miss" or "little missy" which have happened.
Do people get offended about the difference between "Inspector" and "Detective Inspector" or "Sergeant" and "Detective Sergeant"?
You're too good to me. Wonder if I can persuade the yard to let you do my physical this year.
And I won't stand between a lady and her vegetables again...
Ah, here ma'am rhymes with... charm. 'marm'.
I'm trying to imagine anyone calling Sal 'little missy'... I have an image of teeth on the floor and a large dental bill...
I cannot begin to tell you how upright some people ate about the use (or not - goes both ways) of 'detective'. I don't care, really, but some people would have your guts for garters. Sort of like doctors and surgeons, I imagine...
Sally and I seem to have similar philosophies on things. :)
It only rhymes with charm if you talk like you have marbles in your mouth. Took me a good two years not to have to watch telly with the subtitles on. Now I find myself in trouble the other way--I keep finding myself using words and phrases from your aide of the pond which don't translate well over here.
Little Mermaid, eh? Adorbs.
(page 3!)
Ha! It's how it's 'supposed' to be said, we're told. Although it used to bring out my Westcountry accent something terrible. And now I want to know some phrases that translate badly (Apart from 'can I bum a fag'... which I understand means something quite different your side of the pond!! Ha.)
For starters, 'page 3!' over here, generally means something about photos of topless ladies... I presume you mean of your script...
Rider - serious motorcycling habit in the 80s also frequently led to a mullet. Less said the better, eh? ;)
I didn't mean that page three. Minds out of the gutter, please.
DW, you do have to admit, sometimes you do lead us in the direction of said gutter. :)
In all seriousness, good luck with the meeting. The only way I've survived was 1) take lots of notes for lack of anything use to do and 2) coffee, lots of coffee
Greg, John - Erm, are degu bites less dangerous than being bitten by any other household pet (cat, dog, bird)?
~A from NW
It does sound like a lovely day, L, except for getting between a lady and her vegetable.
Lestrade, as for mullets I couldn't possibly comment.
(I got into classic bike racing for a while, as in machines built before 1962. Most of the bods into that were more chromedome than mulleted)
What you call bum bags we know as fanny packs, which got me in a lot of trouble once. The use of "well" instead of "very" which seems to be Mancunian? Spelling defense with a c, which is especially bad since I work for the Department of. "rubbers" which I guess mean erasers there but can mean condoms here.
I knew about the page three girls and regretted it as soon as I posted it.
Fanny packs...yes. That would raise a giggle. 'Well' instead of very is sort of...well, some people do it, lots don't. May have started up North, used by lots of teenagers all over, in my experience.
Rubbers can mean condoms here, but context usually sorts that one out!
As for your crazy American spellings...well, what can be said?
For the American spellings, all that can be said is Noah Webster.
! You're the ones who kept all the odd "u"s in your words! Do you have any idea how very confused I was as a child? =P
~A from NW
Oh, phooey! That link is supposed to lead here: dictionary.weather.net/info/spelling-reform.htm (on the Merriam Webster Online website)
weird, the link works in the email notification.
A - you can't blame us for your childhood confusion! I'm sure it wasn't just extra 'U's ;)
I tend to write period pieces, and I have a friend who edits for me. She's English, which is good, because she corrects me on all my Americanisms, but it drives us both nuts with some of the differences in language.
Apparently, in the way Americans phrase things and certain words we use, we are more grammatically correct and proper. However, it doesn't always flow well, lol, or translate correctly.
The first time I visited England, I got pinged on fanny pack. I couldn't figure out why one friend hit me on the arm, all offended, and another nearly fell over laughing. Live and learn!
Rubbers can mean condoms here, but context usually sorts that one out!
Key word: usually.
Should I ask, Danger?
"Hang on, I brought protection!"
"...what are you going to do...erase my sperm, one by one?"
Weirder, L, it works with cut and paste, too--it's exactly the same link both times.
Computers, RR, I don't pretend to understand 'em. I just rope 'em, throw and brand 'em.
No, wait...that's not right.
LOL!!!
Maybe Mycroft can explain it. I can't.
L - there was an incident in a pub. I'll say no more.
You should definitely say more.
Just not necessarily on here...
Now I'm REALLY curious, John!
Hello Kitty themed rubbers/erasers were involved.
I...that's that cartoon cat thing, right? And now I'm getting very confused. But if there are actually Hello Kitty themed condoms in this world then I might give up now.
Oh come on Lestrade, if you can think of it, someone else has too...
http://www.weirdasianews.com/2009/09/14/kitty-funny-weird-horrifying/
Ha! Better hope the Met doesn't pick this habit up...
http://www.weirdasianews.com/2007/08/06/hello-kitty-thailand-mark-of-shame/
Am I going to wake up tomorrow with two hearts and a Hello Kitty on my bum cheek now, Danger? Don't go getting ideas...
Rider - well, those are a bit more...sane than what my mind was coming up with. I was thinking more along the lines of novelty condoms in a Hello Kitty shape...
Ha! Always Google before saying "there ain't no such animal", L!
RR - I was thinking it was more a thing for kids. Obviously not.
Anyway, no one is supposed to Google things I say or think. That includes me.
Apparently those kids get older without so much growing up... :D
And everyone googles everything, whether they admit it or not. Except me. *wide eyes*
I think a hello kitty shaped condom would bring tears to the eyes.... But then there's the old line about "ribbed for pleasure" so I suppose "eared for pleasure and with added whiskers" might work!
Rider...I can only assume you've never met a novelty cactus shaped condom then. A Kitty one sounds rather tame in comparison.
(is this silence because you're all Googling?)
I'll save you some time:
http://www.lovecondoms.co.uk/condoms/novelty-condoms/black-cactus-fantasy-condom.html
Seems to me that there has to be a Greg the Florist tale in that!
I plead the Fifth.
Rider - it's John's turn for a bit of Greg. ;)
That is actually terrifying.
If only the poll on the side had asked why people were visiting the site ;)
I turn away for a bit to argue over tablecloths and appropriate food, and now it's condoms and catcti and Doc getting a piece of Lestrade. You guys are too much.
Am I going to wake up tomorrow with two hearts and a Hello Kitty on my bum cheek now, Danger?
Been breaking the rules, Lestrade?
I am absolutely not admitting to having ever met one of these in person: http://www.lovecondoms.co.uk/condoms/black-mouse-novelty-condom.html
I like to think of him (now) as my Italian exotica.
What page have you got to?
That is actually terrifying.
Right...um...right.
So....we could make some really awesome water bombs with them, I guess...I mean, if you really don't want to use them...
I do not believe for one second that you actually bought those. Try again.
Ha. You know me too well.
Now, enough of succulents with thick fleshy stems...you should probably take me to bed and remind me I've got work tomorrow.
Page ten. :(
DW are you a lootenant as opposed to a leftenant?
And you must admit condoms and cacti are far more entertaining than tablecloths.
L - ha, right. I can do at least the first half of that.
DW - ...Good luck.
Was a loooooooootenant. Am a captain.
So much so, but its hard (sts) not to laugh, which would not help things.
Oh, dear Lord. Thank goodness for.the general. Just walked in. "what the f**** are you doing in here?! It can wait until tomorrow. Get the f*** out!"
Happily obeyed, sir.
Enjoy your freedom, DW! Should that be Cap'n DW...
(Okay, now I have to ask, do you have to constantly say 'No, I'M the captain, see, captain's hat, captain's uniform...'?)
I've just remembered I've got to be nice to Danger, given the threat of more pictures. No surprise cacti in the middle of the night then...
I thought it was a promise, not a threat...
Greg - True. I still can't spell properly in English (American or Queen's). Learning French didn't help matters much...or pinyin... The accents, the accent marks ... They're almost the same!
+ John - I hope you're enjoying your rest. And while a part of me is curious about the rubber incident... ignorance is bliss?
*giggling*
~A from NW
I don't understand the question.
You're always nice to Danger. Just...creatively mice sometimes.
Leave the creative mice out of it...that's Nameless's bag...
sorry creatively nice that should be
trying to type on my phone
what does "Okay, now I have to ask, do you have to constantly say 'No, I'M the captain, see, captain's hat, captain's uniform...'?" mean?
Sorry, L, didn't mean to confuse you! All I meant was that you obviously couldn't have had a sense of shame when you were choosing these bling-laden ensembles, but you must have one now, given how adorably you've been squirming at all of the comments they've received. So you grew a late-in-life sense of shame!
All of this makes me wonder what on earth Mycroft's friends will have to tease him about. He's so thoughtful and well turned out so young!
DW - Captain, I should say - L's making a Cabin Pressure joke! Your first, L?
*applauds*
Congrats, Lestrade. Now just to listen to Cabin Pressure to get the joke. :)
Last week I was in the lobby of a hotel and two men who were flight crew for a major airline were checking in.
I immediately checked to see which one had more stripes on his sleeve, and then thought, "Well that was easy," and then giggled all the way to the elevator.
He didn't have a silly amount of braid on his cap, though....
DW, feel free to wander over to my journal and poke me if you'd like the Cabin Pressure eps.
AfSO, are you a new anon or have I missed you around? Either way, hi! *waves*
Did you think about going up and asking the non-captain "what's it feel like to captain a plane?" just to see their reactions? Or am I just mean like that?
Hi DW, yes I am. Well, I've commented once before....
I did think about doing that, yes, but I didn't want to interrupt them, and they'd just arrived from somewhere in the cold and the rain and I didn't want to get in the way.
But yes, and I think about that. This particular Captain was the older and taller of the two, though, so I bet they don't have that problem.
Ack! Thought, not think. Must be the cider. (It's even scrumpy, but it's American scrumpy.)
Hi AftSO.
Yes, Cabin Pressure... which I thought I was the last person in the known universe to listen to. And my first joke...is to the only other person who hasn't heard it...damn!
It is very funny, DW, if you like that sort of thing.
AftSO: There's American scrumpy? I love the stuff from across the pond, but I've never seen it in the USA. What's the brand name, if you don't mind my asking?
Good Morning, L! Hope you slept well.
Sorry I've been gone so long, everyone. Finals and holidays ate my brain for the better part of 2 months, so I hope that at least a few of you remember me.
Thanks, Ria, not too badly. (my phone still wants to call you Tia.) Hope finals went okay?
I've been led to believe that 'cider' in the US isn't alcoholic, but 'hard cider' is. But what's your cider like - does it have gas in it? Clear or cloudy? And what sort of percentage is it?
Glad to hear you slept okay. I'm pretty sure finals went well, but I'm still waiting to hear results.
Ah, the complications of juiced apple nomenclature.
In the USA (I think it's different in Canada, but I'm not positive), it goes apple juice (clear, non-alcoholic, usually served to kids, doesn't need to be refrigerated), apple cider (also non-alcoholic, cloudy but no gas, needs to be refrigerated), and hard cider, which is what we call anything alcoholic that's made from fermented apple juice. If I understand the terminology, scrumpy is cloudy, a bit bubbly, and alcoholic? From what I've seen here, we only have clear alcoholic ciders, mostly imports from big brands like Strongbow and Bulmer's (called Magner's in North America). A couple domestic brands have started appearing in the last few years, like Woodchuck Cider.
Sorry to disappoint, Lestrade. If it's British humor, odds are I'll like it.
Hope your finals went well, Ria.
Thanks, DW! I'm also a Cabin Pressure neophyte, so it's good to know that I'm not alone.
(Though I'm sure I'll eventually buckle and end up listening to it, then watching Due South, Corner Gas, and Downton Abbey. So many good things, so little time).
I can highly recommend Due South (the first two seasons are better) and Corner Gas. Haven't seen Downton Abbey yet.
Good to know. My friends have informed me that I would lose a movie/TV trivia contest with an Amish person, so I've been trying to broaden my horizons. Any thoughts on which I should start with?
Oh, L, as I was catching up on the blog I saw that you'd mentioned a hot chocolate-wine drink that you really liked. Is it anything like this?
http://www.citrusandcandy.com/2011/12/mulled-wine-hot-chocolate.html
Because that sounds intriguing and I'd like to try making it.
Thanks for the cider info. 'proper' scrumpy here would be cloudy, flat, quite possibly have bits in it still, and be so alcoholic it makes your face hurt when you drink it. But nowadays the stuff in pubs and shops is all the bottled fizzy clearish stuff. We have Bulmers and Magners here - I assumed they were just different brands.
Quite a lot of Swedish cider/perry coming over in here recently
That does look like the chocolate wine, yeah. I didn't make it, so I don't know if that'll be the same though.
There is fizzy cider in the US. It's called sparkling cider, has bubbles but no alcohol.
We had a nearly full quart of cider in the fridge when Irene blew through that became incredibly hard during the power outage. It made for delicious brisket.
I haven't heard Cabin Pressure either.
(Yes, it's the middle if the night. And I'm going to try to go back to sleep in a minute...)
Good morning! Hello, L, hello, Ria, hello everyone.
Ria, great explanation of the ways Americans talk about apple drinks, thank you. I tend to be too lazy to specify "hard cider" when speaking, and I confuse people who default to thinking that cider is nonalcoholic.
This stuff was J. K.'s Scrumpy. The maker says it's sort of scrumpy but sort of normandy style. I say it's tasty. http://organicscrumpy.com/index.html
It comes and goes from the shelves because I think they're a pretty small company. Lestrade, I've been looking for this cider again since I read the things you wrote about scrumpy and western music some months ago. :)
I wish we could reliably get cider in bars and restaurants here. I love how easy it is to get in the UK!
Until recently the only cider you could get here was Strongbow (ugh) Bulmers, or the Tasmanian Mercury which was quite good. Now various imported ones are coming in at vast expense...
I'm unreasonably fond of a sourish cloudy one called Rosie's, but had a bad experience with "French style" ones: thin, sour and unpleasant.
I've been drinking Woodchuck for 20 years. Maybe it's a New England thing? I think they make it in Vermont.
Oh, DW, I don't know about that Due South declaration. I love all three seasons madly. I swing both Rays.
Bronwyn
Oh, don't get me wrong, Bronwyn. I love both Rays (love your pun!), but I felt like Frasier was more of a caricature in the third seasons than was necessary. 'salright, though. Everything was still awesome!
When I was in Scotland a few years ago for study abroad, I was always getting shit from the local students about preferring cider to beer. It's the same goddamn alcohol content! It just tastes like apples instead of piss!
Of course they also liked haggis, so that just goes to show you.
This is my newest favorite: http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/index.cfm?pid=104818
I think it's the fact that it lacks any preservatives or artificial flavorings that makes it so damn delicious. Sadly there's only one store that I can find it in. Wish it was possible to buy alcohol through the mail, I'd have cases sent to me.
I like RayK better and my favorite episodes are in s3, though both Rays are of course awesome... (Fellow due South fans, yay!)
Cabin Pressure is very fun. I'm glad you guys recommended it here. Anyone listen to Old Harry's Game? I enjoyed it, though I didn't get all the jokes about contemporary people and events, not being English.
Post a Comment