Thursday, March 15, 2012

previously on the moor

Mycroft and I had tea and an interesting conversation about people willingly giving up their privacy in exchange for the opportunity to vent to strangers all over the internet. At the time, I didn't think that applied to me at all...

Right, let's see...Baskerville Hall, excellent tea, bruised shins, what happened next? Oh yes. Sherlock came back just before dinner, I sent him upstairs to clean himself up, and he never came back. I had dinner with Mycroft, and then spent the entire bloody night looking for him, with no success. 

That house is massive, and I never did manage to search the whole place. If I'd had any sense I would've just waited in the kitchen with Mrs Hudson. As it turned out, he'd been in to get a sandwich from her and then took off out to the moor again. She gave me breakfast and also the paper, in which I read that something was killing people out there. 

I followed Sherlock, obviously. Slowly. Found him near one of the big tors. I think he may have kicked me again, can't quite remember. It started pouring, we shared his sandwich, and then we fell asleep in an alcove in the rock. 

It was dark when we woke up. Went outside. Sherlock said he saw something and took off. I saw it too. Didn't know what it was, just that it was glowing and growling and looked like something that had been on its way straight to Hell and took a slight detour to terrorise Dartmoor. I think I caught up to Sherlock and grabbed him just about the same time Anthea showed up out of nowhere and took a shot at the thing. It ran off. 

After that, it was a long and thankfully unexciting walk back to the house. Sherlock fell asleep. I didn't know it at the time, but I'd left my cane at the tor, which I would come to regret in the morning. That night I was just grateful to be in a bed and was certain the next day would go far more smoothly. [insert the hollow laughter of hindsight here]

195 comments:

Greg Lestrade said...

Ah, if you'd known him then like you do now, you would have realised he is 90% brain and stomach, and rest just holds those two together and moves them about...

:)

I'm gripped. What happened next? When's the next chapter due?

John H. D. Watson said...

Even if he wasn't, he had to be eating somehow. I just wasn't thinking.

Ha, who knows? Maybe sooner than the three months between this and the last one. Anyway, you know what happened!

Greg Lestrade said...

I want to hear it from the horse's...unicorn's? Mouth!

I hope you're brutally honest about getting in cars with strange men...

Cranky Bookwyrm said...

I find the opener, about people willingly giving up their privacy, strangely prescient, is that why we rarely see Mycroft around here?

More! More!

And in other news, seventeen years ago, at this time, I still had about five and a half more hours of labor to go. Can't believe how the time flies.

Greg Lestrade said...

I bet those 5 and a half hours didn't fly...

:)

John H. D. Watson said...

CB - might be! He was quite serious about it. And happy birthday to your son. :)

L - you weren't a strange man (well, I didn't think so at the time...), you were a policeman! We're supposed to trust the police, didn't you know?

Greg Lestrade said...

Heh. But now you know better, right? Or are you telling me you trust me entirely, so when I say I'm innocent in all senses of the word...

John H. D. Watson said...

I know you well enough to know you don't really mean it. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm getting the feeling that there is nothing to compare with the John, Greg, Mycroft and Sherlock 'how we grew to love each other' story.

You are a very lucky group to have found each other :-)

Anony

REReader said...

If I'd had any sense I would've just waited in the kitchen with Mrs Hudson.

Oh, I don't know--he was what, 5? How could you, being you, just do nothing when you had a 5-year-old missing at night?

I'm really, really eager for the next installment!

REReader said...

(By the way, True is winning handily in your poll, John. Either Mycroft wasn't to be bribed, or there are very few computers in the lab in his school... :))

Greg Lestrade said...

I stand by the assertion the poll people are now voting on is:

A man should be allowed to choose between wearing a kilt, and wearing nothing but a smile and a set of bagpipes.

And I would never even attempt to bribe a child.

John H. D. Watson said...

That's not a true or false question!

And I would never even attempt to bribe a child.

That means it didn't work.

Anony - You are a very lucky group to have found each other

Very, very true.

Greg Lestrade said...

It is a true or false question!

I seriously didn't ask him to vote, or try to bribe him. He's got better things to be doing than voting here.

Anonymous said...

I think you're right about the question Greg but I'm sure I recall you admitting to bribing Mycroft ;-) looks like it didn't work though!

I don't believe the polls to be accurate, given the result of yours, who could possibly allow that to be the result? ;-)

Anony

Greg Lestrade said...

I did say that, but only to get Danger worried. Which it did.

Doc, I need your healing hands tonight, or I'll be struggling tomorrow, I think.

John H. D. Watson said...

I wasn't that worried! He wouldn't have done it anyway! (Actually I am shocked True is winning, to be honest, thought I was doomed.)

That punishing run did you in?

Greg Lestrade said...

I gave in, I surrendered... the punishment feels like it's continuing.

Anonymous said...

Hope you haven't done yourself a damage Greg!

Are you on a sleep day before work tommorow? Hope you manage to get some sleep while Sherlocks at school :-)

Anony

Greg Lestrade said...

John makes me have a nap in the afternoon, normally. He sings me lullabies and brings me warm milk.

No, I lie, he just glares at me until I trudge off to the sofa, trailing Spider by a leg, sucking my thumb...

John H. D. Watson said...

No, usually I utterly fail to get you to nap at all until you've been awake for over 24 hours. If lullabies would help, I'll give it a shot.

Greg Lestrade said...

can't help not being sleepy and wanting to be awake in your presence. Don't get to see enough of you :(

Anonymous said...

Good on John :-) My shift worker never liked to sleep the day before his first shift but in order not to make yourself ill by the end of the weekend you at least have to try.

It's not like Sherlock will allow you to sleep all Saturday is it!

(Thank you for the very cute thumb sucking image)

Anony

REReader said...

Speaking of Sherlock--and earlier of Mycroft--I'd love to have your points of view on the story John's telling here, if you feel like chiming it...?

John H. D. Watson said...

L - I just worry, that's all. Don't make little un-smiley faces at me, I'll try to be better about it. And I'll be perfectly happy to give you a good rub down tonight.

Greg Lestrade said...

Sorry. I will try harder to sleep. I just don't find it easy. You couldn't be 'better' about it - you're fantastic already. but really, short of drugging me, I probably won't sleep.

And thank you.

(Anony, 'fraid it's Danger who sucks his thumb really, not me. But it fitted the scene I was trying to set.)

REReader said...

(Which of you really cuddles Spider? :))

John H. D. Watson said...

Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way and I just need to wear you out somehow...

Anonymous said...

I found that to be quite successful sometimes John ;-)

It is quite reasonable that you want to spend the time awake with John though Greg, maybe a cuddle up and watch a film rather than sleep would do you more good :-)

Anony

Greg Lestrade said...

Spider offers cuddles to whoever needs them.

Wearing me out might work... Would be a good way of expending all the energy I have form being so over-excited at spending time with you...

REReader said...

Hmmm. Being as both you two are taken, I could do with a Spider.

(Not THIS Spider, Sherlock! I know I can't have it. Just another one like Spider.)

Rider said...

It's a quality vs quantity thing Anony.

What the exchange rate is of couch minutes versus what ever it is (I'm sure I can't imagine) that John is planning to wear Lestrade out, well that they will just have to determine by experiment.

John H. D. Watson said...

He ought to have an online Spider shop, he'd make a fortune. It is surprisingly comforting for something that has that many legs.

REReader said...

John, if he goes into the Spider business, I'll be his first customer. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

I find the eyes slightly...odd, when you wake up face to face with her.

Couch minutes vs. other minutes...depends what Danger gets up to on the couch, I suspect.

John H. D. Watson said...

You never know what I might get up to on the couch.

Anon Without A Name said...

I think, given your history, we all have a good idea what you might get up to on the couch :-p

Rider said...

considering that a number of posts ago it was implied that etc... was happening on or near a sofa perhaps I should have used another space for the comparison.

Greg Lestrade said...

Nameless - well, as my first appearance on this blog is sleeping on it...you think he'll slip me a mickey?

Desert Wanderer said...

lol. Perhaps so, Rider.

Also, Doc and Lestrade, I notice it's not just the number of comments on a post that seems to have a certain affinity for a particular number.

*points to number of poll responses*

Anon Without A Name said...

I think he'll slip something, Lestrade, yeah - and I'm sure you'll be sleepy afterwards :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

Nameless - can't really help it at my age! :)

Greg Lestrade said...

Oooh, Sherlock's a grumpy child tonight. That's what I get for abandoning him to do nightshifts, apparently.

Hope John isn't that grumpy.

REReader said...

Generally or specifically grumpy?

Greg Lestrade said...

Specifically. Hope he won't hold it against John, for letting me go!

REReader said...

I'm sure you made it clear to him it was none of John's doing.

(It's no small compliment that he minds you being gone at night, after all.)

Greg Lestrade said...

I think it's because it's the weekend, and he knows he'll won't get a murder story and I'll be being 'boring' in the day if I want to sleep, and John will make him be quiet. It's hard on him and John.

Anonymous said...

Quality one on one time with John is the only selling point I can think of. It is very nice that he is so attached to you though Greg. Could you ring in a bedtime story for him tomorrow, it might calm the waters a little :-)

Anony

REReader said...

I'm sure all those things are true, L--but I also think that it's easier for Sherlock (and maybe for you, too) to say those are the reasons he's grumpy than to just say you being there is important to him, and he doesn't like it when you're not.

Greg Lestrade said...

Anony - I'll probably end up asleep if I phone with a story tomorrow!

RR - All I care about really is that he doesn't play up to John if I'm not there. He'll forget all about me once he and John are having fun - and hopefully John will too!

But right now I have to drag the doc off to sort out my sore muscles.

Anonymous said...

Asleep at your desk is probably not the look you're going for ;-)

Hope you're ok after some help from the doc, muscles and mind :-)

Anony

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm going to be stuck on an obbo, joint op with gangs. It will be incredibly dull.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with staying awake through that!! It doesn't sound like much fun :-(

Anony

Anonymous said...

Sorry about this, but I kinda hope it will be dull!

John H. D. Watson said...

Ha. I always hope it'll be dull too. Sorry, L.

Greg Lestrade said...

I shall attempt to use the time wisely for more Jammy Badger lyrics.

Anonymous said...

Undercover writing I like it ;-)

It's hard not to wish a policemans days to be dull but it must be a horrible job to do when there is nothing to do.

I'm not encouraging criminals though I much prefer the song writing idea :-)

Anony

REReader said...

Obbo?

Good night, guys!

Desert Wanderer said...

Observation, RR. Stakeout.

Guys, is there any restrictions on the type of music for our album? Just something recognizable? Just rock?

REReader said...

Thanks, DW. It's all very educational. :)

(And I have no opinion on the type of music. I just need videos, photos, show dates.... :D)

H. Savinien said...

I vote for not country and western (I live in Montana - I hear by far enough of it) or metal (because I can't do the growly voice thing and would fear for my throat if I tried). Other than that, I have no preference.

Cranky Bookwyrm said...

Tonight was a quiet birthday with just us. Next weekend is the sleepover with six other boys, God help us.

I hope your night is both quiet and fruitful, l. Good night

Greg Lestrade said...

Good luck with that, Cranky!

DW - I was just going for tunes I thought most of us would recognise. Unless someone wants to start composing....

Desert Wanderer said...

No, just making sure. That's kind of where I was thinking, too.

Oh, goodness, CB. Good luck! (makes it sound like you're embarking on a solo trek to the north pole or something. Lol)

REReader said...

You're very brave, CB!

Have a restful day, L, if that will be helpful. :)

(New rule: When people wake up at 4:00am, from now on they will be able to fall asleep again if they want to.)

Desert Wanderer said...

Why don't you write a song about it, RR? There is an "Insomnia" track. :)

Anonymous said...

You feeling ok this morning Greg? hope the doc managed to work his magic on you ;-)

Anony

CzechReader said...

Hi guys! Not forgetting about you, just overloaded myself at the gym on Wednesday a bit, so yesterday all my work contribution consisted of "uuuuungh" "eeeeh" and other intelligent comments in zombiese.

CB - sounds like your son already has better luck in his life with celebrating birthdays than I had so far :-) Usually some kind of totally failed plan is included and some disaster too... So this year I am doing nothing - or to be more precise, I celebrate the idea of turning thirty this November through the whole year. Lot to do, lot to do: participate in a writing contest, getting a tattoo, getting seveal more holes pierced in my ears (thanks for inspiration, L, although I am so not getting my nipples pierced) and several more things to be done :-)

REReader said...

DW, I was going to say "NO!!!" but maybe I have an idea....

Meanwhile, it looks like some sort of movie or tv shoot is setting up on my block, smack under my windows, making all kinds of noise. Anyone free to come and gawk at them and, with any luck, drive them AWAY?

*grumpy on less than 3 hours sleep*

Greg Lestrade said...

69 comments again?

Feeling okay, thanks Anony. Bit sore in places ;)

Anonymous said...

Not sure I want to know what places but glad you're feeling better than you sounded last night :-)

Anony

Greg Lestrade said...

John has magic hands. I go from man to amoeba. Just a shapeless piece of putty in his hands.

Anonymous said...

lucky you ;-)

and in all seriousness lucky you.

Anony

Cranky Bookwyrm said...

L & CR, I hope both of you feel better soon.

CR, a full year celebration of such a momentous milestone sounds terrific! Much better than my reaction (I freaked out over thirty). Of course, you could try my husband's celebration; twelve days later, he became a parent. ;-)

Greg Lestrade said...

After all the headlines today I'm just glad I can run...

Anonymous said...

Not sure what Headlines I've missed but are you really ok?

Anony

Greg Lestrade said...

The headline in the Metro was 'Blobby bobbies of new Scotland lard'. All about new fitness tests, and pay cuts and eventually the sack if you fail them.

Not that I think I would.

Anonymous said...

That's horrid :-(

I can't believe that any police officer would be in a condition (by choice) that meant that they couldn't do their job. It's not like it's a profession you accidently fall into is it you've got to be a certain kind of person to be able to cope with it.

You'd never fail it I'm sure of that not if you can make it through 8 miles even if you were sensible enough to walk the last bit :-)

Anony

Desert Wanderer said...

Do they do the "bleep" test now, Lestrade? The one that's essentially an ever-faster set of shuttle runs?

CzechReader said...

CB - heh, my boss is totally awesome. His wife is totally amazing though and she rules: their only son was born exactly on the boss's 30th birthday :-D

Sometimes I freak out a little bit that I am supposed to be all adult now and responsible and boring and grown up and what not. Then I calm down, sit back an do "naaah, not worth the bother" :-) Same with my mom - she's 67 now and says she hasn't aged mentally past 24 or so...

REReader said...

Pay cuts tied to fitness tests?

...

Ever feel like someone's out to get you (plural), L?

Greg Lestrade said...

DW - the problem is that now there are not fitness tests at all. And a lot of overweight officers. But then again, if they give everyone hours of paperwork to do, and instead of walking the beat now one officer drives about in a car, what do they expect? I'm not against the idea of officers being fit at all, but the job doesn't inspire that anymore.

CR - I don't believe anyone ever feels like they're grown uo enough to be a...grown up. :)

Desert Wanderer said...

I turned 25 in Baghdad, which turned out to he a great birthday. I got a Jaffa cake with 25 toothpicks in, and the civil engineers gave me bulldozer and dump truck driving lessons as a present, which was awesome!

Anonymous said...

If there are no fitness tests how can they suddenly bring them in just to take money of people? The police have taken more than their fair share of cuts already!!

Anony

Cranky Bookwyrm said...

DW, that sounds like an awesome birthday!

CR, being "grown up" isn't at all what it's cracked up to be.

L, that sounds like a lousy situation, although I don't think you personally are in danger of pay cuts.

Anonymous said...

I am not really able to contribute much to song writing but I think I might have found the perfect tour bus.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27204054@N07/4856854625/

Hope you've had some rest and relaxation this afternoon Greg :-)

Anony

Greg Lestrade said...

Every time I think.of an insomnia song all that's in my head is Faithless, and I can't get beyond that!

Anonymous said...

Insomnia issues in the middle of the day ;-)

Have you got any idea for the other tracks Greg or anyonelse who's doing the writing?

Anony

Desert Wanderer said...

Funny you should mention that, Anony. Just finished this. A possiblity for "My Boring Life" (to the tune of "Piano Man" from Billy Joel)? [Doc, hope you don't mind]

It’s early November in the mire
Fog and dark rolling in
There’s a tired DI driving in his car
Askin’ me if I’d like to join him
He says “Hi there, I think you’re a murdr’er
Although I have doubts to my core
Because you’re a doc, and then you got shot
When the Army sent you off to war.”

La la la de de da la la de de da da dum
(Chorus)
Here is the story of my boring life
It’s funny the way these things go
Well, I never’d have guessed I would end up here
With a family, a partner, and home


I met two bright boys in the house that day
Although one of them ran away
And a housekeeper spry, and perhaps a real spy
And a purpose to face a new day
Well, eventually we moved to London
Courtesy of choppers black
And we found a nice flat close to New Scotland Yard
And a place for two war-dogs out back

La la la de de da la la de de da da dum

Now Mycroft has found canine buddies
And Sherlock got him two Degus
And Lestrade would have sworn
That a blue unicorn
Has made an appearance or two
And the four of us like to go camping
Or maybe spend time in the park
Throwing Frisbees around and bike riding
And then building ponds for a lark

(Chorus)

There’ve been break-ins and crashes of cars
And a riot, it’s sad but it’s true
But my blog still decrees
Nothing happens to me
‘cause the title brings luck from the blue
So I sit on the couch with my family
And we watch Degus eating grey hair
And there’s nothing I find
That can chase from my mind
The love that fills the flat’s air.

(Chorus)

Greg Lestrade said...

That is stunning!

I'm going to get the guitar and sing it to John.... hang on.

Anonymous said...

Excellent DW, I love 'Piano Man' and it's a nice change of style from Queen Redux!

Lancs. Anon

Anonymous said...

DW that is brilliant :-) your talent for song writing is amazing!!

Hope you like it John.

Anony

John H. D. Watson said...

DW - that is amazing! Brilliant, I am really, really impressed.

But my blog still decrees
Nothing happens to me
‘cause the title brings luck from the blue


Exactly. :)

mazarin said...

Wow, DW, that is completely amazing! :D

Greg Lestrade said...

Anyone want to make any no-obligation tentative claims to other tracks? Then I'll try to write some of the leftover ones tonight.

REReader said...

I've got part of something for Insomnia... (no promises, but I'm working on it!)

Anonymous said...

I would be embarrassed to even try so I'm going to stick to looking for transport options ;-)

I look forward to reading the wonderful songs everyone produces though :-)

Anony

REReader said...

Right then. (This really should have another verse, but I've run out of inspiration--anyone who wants to please free to fill it out!)

To the tune of "A Modern Major General" by Gilbert and Sullivan

I am a living poster for the troubles of insomnia
It's not been caused by nervousness or even hypochondria
It won't be chased by cups of milk, reciting poems, or counting sheep
In fact it's often made much worse by checking times and courting sleep

A few things that I've tried include just getting up and reading books
Or blogging via mobile, hearing stories, cataloguing Looks
And then there's getting hugs from Spider, contemplating swarms of bees
(TALKING: swarms of bees, swarms of bees….aha!)
Or combing through the internet for 'Tubes of kiddie comedies!
(CHORUS: Or combing through the internet etc….)

But being wakeful half the night is just a part of me sometimes
And lets me practice solving puzzles, writing songs, and making rhymes.
If folks claim that your sleeplessness betrays your hypochondria
You know they've not experienced the wonders of insomnia!

REReader said...

(If anyone is unfamiliar with the original song, it start with "I am the very model of a modern Major General"): http://youtu.be/zSGWoXDFM64)

John H. D. Watson said...

Ha! That is great, RR.

Desert Wanderer said...

Bravo, RR! :D

Anonymous said...

Love it RR :-)

Anony

REReader said...

DW, that's AWESOME!!!! (Only just had a chance to read it. :))

Greg Lestrade said...

Very good RR. I can't make some bits quite work in my head, but I need to listen to the original again I think, to get the rhythm.

Been here 5 mins. Already discovered all the treats Danger put in my bag. Now I'm bored. Is it time to come home yet?

REReader said...

Is it time to come home yet?

Well, it could be if only Mycroft had been able to build that time machine. :)

John H. D. Watson said...

Heh. You sound like Sherlock on the first day back to school after the holidays.

Greg Lestrade said...

I can assure you I'm far more miserable than that. I don't even get a playtime!

John H. D. Watson said...

The world would be a better place if adults got playtime after lunch. And maybe a nap.

Desert Wanderer said...

" Already discovered all the treats Danger put in my bag."

Why do I have the image of Degus in my head? They say pets take on characteristics of their owners. Wonder if it works the other way...

John H. D. Watson said...

He is fond of carrot sticks.

Greg Lestrade said...

Don't mention naps

CzechReader said...

DW, RR - you are simply awesome! Awesome, awesome, awesome! :-)

Growing up? Nah, they'll never get me alive! :-) I will go from slightly crazy and being myself to not being at all, thank you very much :-)

John, L, well, what does it say about me if our (now only) cat is fond of long naps, is seriously overweight, complains very vocally about anything and everything and his most favorite game is Make Humans Open the Door Again and Again and Again? :-D Oh, wait - he's my mothers! ;-)

And, L, how are you after the run? I've hit the gym today again with my sister (giggling when doing sit-ups should be recommended as an extra torture device) and my muscles have now finally stopped complaining after the Wednesday Hour of Torture.

Also, have to share a story of human stupidity: our flatmate had his girl over quite a lot as she did not get on with her roommate. They've broken up recently and he felt bad about making her take all her things and throwing her out immediately. But she was behaving in a very stupid way: she brought her new guy into the room while our flatmate was away at work. So not done!

REReader said...

The world would be a better place if adults got playtime after lunch. And maybe a nap.

This. So very this. (And the naps--or at least a quiet time--should be mandatory!)

CzechReader said...

Ok, Papers, Papers Everywhere (Where Has My Stapler Gone?), to be sung on I'm Holding Out For a Hero ;-)

...


Where the hell’s my stapler gone
And where are all the forms
I need to fill out tonight
To appeace the paper gods?
Isn’t there some normal work that needs to be complete?
Late at night I moan and I groan
About What I desperately need

[Chorus]

I need less papers!
And I’d like more practical stuff to be done
To save the lives
To manage my work
And to have a little bit of fun
There’s too much papers!
I’m drowning in these forms in triplicate
My hole puncher is gone
And my ballpoint is dry
And there are papers everywhere

Somewhere after midnight
In my wildest fantasy
I dream of using the circular file
And being finally free
Racing on my Striple without the need to compete
In filing stuff and finding forms and I can also finally sleep

[Chorus]

Up where the walls meet the ceiling above
Out where the corridor I see
I could swear there are papers somewhere
Watching me

Through the NYS and London and home
I drag the papers with me
I can feel their approach
Like the ache in my head

[Chorus]

I need less papers. And I’d like more practical stuff to be done

Greg Lestrade said...

Great, CR!

I'm bored. And lonely. Relying on you lot to cheer me up.

I've yawned five times already. I'm keeping a tally on my obbo notes.

Anonymous said...

Another great one CR I'm getting more impressed with the people here as the day goes on :-)

bored and lonely is not good but the rate these songs are coming in you'll be cheered up in no time Greg ;-)

Anony

Desert Wanderer said...

Lestrade, are you playing yellow car? Might help...

REReader said...

Ha, CR--Great!

Sorry, L--I'm kind of in-and-outish today, getting ready for Shabbat. I've waved my parents off (they're going to my sister's) and have opted for a very, very quiet Shabbat by my own self instead of going along--a sort of time out, which I need, but it means I need to get everything ready myself!

Anon Without A Name said...

RR, DW - you are both brilliant. Consider me in awe.

CB, CR et al - I loved turning 30, it was great. I don't know why, but I felt I'd finally arrived at the age I'd always been in my head. Mind you, a "friend" once told me I was 'born 50', so maybe I'm still just catching up.

A mate of mine emailed me a few years ago to let me know he and his wife were expecting their second child - on their first child's birthday. That seemed like a bit of a coincidence, so I did a bit of maths with the dates. Emailed him back, "So that's what [your wife] gives you for your birthday" :-)

I've done a really long week at work, feeling knackered and pissed off - and then realised that I've done a few minutes less than Lestrade works every week. And far less than John works, given John works pretty much 24-7. I shall stop my self-pitying forthwith.

Greg Lestrade said...

DW - there have been 7 cars so far. None yellow.

I'm playing 'how long do I leave it before completely losing it down the phone about why exactly I'm here alone when I should have someone with me' instead.

Nameless - you're allowed self pity :) But yeah, John does indeed work 24/7/365. Or, if you're RR, 7/24/365, cos it has to go smallest to largest...

REReader said...

L, I am unable to react to that in any way on 2-1/2 hours of sleep. :P

Why ARE you there by yourself, and isn't that a Not Good thing in several ways?

Anon Without A Name said...

CR - wonderful! Am in awe of you, too :-)

John H. D. Watson said...

That's wonderful, CR!

John H. D. Watson said...

Mind you, a "friend" once told me I was 'born 50'

Ha. You're not alone, I've been told this as well.

Desert Wanderer said...

Is anyone doing Armadillo Head Gear? Hypothetically?

Greg Lestrade said...

RR - at the moment, I can only tell you what I know, which is that I'm here alone because no one from Drugs has turned up.

Danger - you're 46, right? Cos you're only as old as the bloke you feel...

I liked 30. It was good.

John H. D. Watson said...

30 was good, yeah. Although clearly not as good as DW's 25th since I didn't get to drive any bulldozers.

REReader said...

Hmmm.

Heh!

And I don't think I actually remember 30 specifically--it came and went unremarked. 40, too. (I don't really remember many birthdays or ages, I always have to subtract to figure out how old I am at any given time. :))

Greg Lestrade said...

I can't remember my 30th... which either means it was good or I was working.

20 was...messy. And lasted a long time. And I think ended in Brighton. Or somewhere else quite a long way from where it started. I think I was ill until I was almost 21.

REReader said...

And does that count as a successful celebration or the opposite? :)

I don't think I did anything special for 20, but I remember 16--for my Sweet Sixteen party I took a group of friends to the Haydn Planetarium in all its lost, original, lovely, Art Deco glory. It was wonderful. *sighs happily* (I don't know if my friends enjoyed it so much, but I had the best geeky time!)

John H. D. Watson said...

L - sounds like a good blog entry, assuming you can remember any of it...

Anon Without A Name said...

John - I'm glad I'm not the only one :-) I used to think it was a bad thing, but now... *shrug* I think I was just mature for my age, which was quite handy at times.

20 was...messy. And lasted a long time. And I think ended in Brighton.

My eighteenth was a bit like that (without Brighton). My nineteenth was too, although in different ways. Forty was pretty fun, too, but not messy like that :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

I remember waking up in a boat. Wearing only my boxer shorts. And having buying the cheapest clothing possible with money we scraped together.

And hitch hiking back to London.

No idea how I got to Brighton in the first place.

Anonymous said...

The nights you can't remember are always the best! A boat with only your boxer shorts must have been rather cold!

I'm not sure birthday celebrations get any better after 18 when you can get so drunk you know nothing at all, after that I had the knowledge of what I was going to feel like in the morning and it always put me off a bit ;-)

I could seriously do with a pint or 15 tonight though!

Anony

Greg Lestrade said...

Anony - August, so it wasn't too cold. But I had clearly been in the sea. And I'm fairly sure the seaweed on my head was intentional. And probably the stuff hanging out of my boxers.

But I was getting horribly drunk many years before I was 18...

On balance, I prefer the good ones I do remember though. 46 is probably my favourite one so far ;)

REReader said...

It's almost like I grew up in my own little parallel universe!
I clearly missed out on something, being allergic to alcohol.

I don't know that that's altogether bad, though.., :)

Rider said...

When you are 18 the hangovers seem to clear up amazingly quickly.

"I do not envy the heart of youth but only its head and stomach"

Rider said...

the stuff hanging out of my boxers

I sincerely hope I was not the only one not thinking about seaweed.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you had Greg most people do but I was never allowed to drink before I was 18, My parents learn rather a lesson when they couldn't stop me anymore and were never really sure if I'd be home or not!! (I regret being so horrible now I have kids of my own but at the time I thought they deserved it!)

I don't know if Augusts were warmer then Greg but I would not have wanted to be wet, in a boat, covered in seaweed and only boxer shorts for protection on any August day last year!Alcohol does give a strange warm sensation though ;-)

Anony

Desert Wanderer said...

Don't worry, Rider. You and I are almost always on the same train of thought. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't buy it RR you were on the same page as me, Rider and DW and you know it ;-)

Anony

Greg Lestrade said...

Rider, DW, happily the seaweed at least obscured anything else hanging out. There was a lot of it. (The seaweed. Not the 'anything else'. That would be bragging, and I let John do that for me)

Anony - Well I wasn't alone, and there was whatever people cover boats with - special boat-shaped tarpaulins. I presume that was why we ended up there...someone had enough sense. So it wasn't too cold.

And then, not long after, was the start of the riots and the rest of the year turning to shit!

REReader said...

I'm sure my mind did go in the same direction, o suspicious ones.

See, my family used to go to Far Rockaway for the summers--that's the beach here. And all kinds of gunk tended to get caught in bathing suits--and that's tight bathing suits, not boxers, too. So my mind actually went in the direction of the clingier sort of sea life (jelly fish, dead fish, mussel shells, etc.) and garbage.

That's what you were thinking, right?

Anonymous said...

Just like a nice comfy bed then that makes perfect sense (it really does I can remember logic like that myself)

Have you got any company yet Greg? other than us lot obviously ;-)

Anony

Greg Lestrade said...

No.

There has been swearing (me) and apologetic mumbling (whoever was on the other end of the phone).

And one possibly yellow car. Hard to tell under streetlights. It was yellow or white. I thought about calling it in and getting a PNC check on the plate, but thought it might be hard to explain if anyone asked why that particular car...

REReader said...

And it's not as much fun with no one to hit...

Anonymous said...

that's the only way to play the game in the dark ;-)

Sorry you're still on your own, but hope we are managing to stop you dropping off in your seat.

Anony

Greg Lestrade said...

There's a reasonable amount to write down, so it's not too bad.

Cold though.

Anonymous said...

have you not got any seaweed, I've heard that can help you keep warm ;-)

Glad you're resonably busy or is it song lyrics you're writing down?

Anony

REReader said...

I have to assume that anyone driving up with some hot coffee would sort of defeat the purpose of you being there. (Right?)

CzechReader said...

All this talk about alcohol reminded me of this Armadillo picture.

I think I have accidentally started an armadillo cult - after all the talk about trouser armadillos the other day I got curious if the critters really jump that high and went to explore the YouTube. Fell in love with them (of course, as the only way to see an armadillo in here is to go to the ZOO, I don't have to worry about them causing damages or not) and posted some jumping armadillo pictures on the Facebook...

Several people (okay, me included) adopted armadillo pics as their icons, phrases of the kind like "Roll it like an armadillo" were coined and one of my friends adopted "jump" as her new word for happiness. I am little bit in awe about the whole avalanche...

So, yeah. Armadillos all around :-)

PS: DW - Looks like that track is your ;-)

Desert Wanderer said...

" I got curious if the critters really jump that high"

You doubted me, CR? I'm hurt. :(

Armadillo Head Gear might turn out to be blues now, and it'll he all your fault.

Greg Lestrade said...

Sadly observations, not lyrics.

And John provided a flask of coffee. Which I've drunk more than I should have already

Anonymous said...

On your own and lots of coffee is surely going to cause a logistical problem at some point isn't it ;-) It will work wonders for keeping you awake though!

I don't know how people manage such good songs I am in awe of people who can string words together and make something special :-)

Anony

REReader said...

Yay, John!

(Interesting point, Anony... :D)

Desert Wanderer said...

" On your own and lots of coffee is surely going to cause a logistical problem at some point isn't it ;"


Maybe it'll add a touch of credibility, if its the kind of neighborhood it sounds like. Street free, if you will...

Greg Lestrade said...

Anony, I'm really not above putting liquid back from whence it came, if no one else has turned up by then.

I feel like it's always slightly pointless getting really angry on the phone when people know it's not like you can do anything. Yet.

Desert Wanderer said...

Street cred, that is.

Greg Lestrade said...

(Then I have to remember that's what I've done...not easy when you've been awake as long as I will have been.)

REReader said...

Heh, DW!

And a Shabbat shalom, all--have a great Saturday!

CzechReader said...

RR - have a peaceful Shabbat :-)

DW - I've never seen an armadillo jump, not even on a video! Of course I wanted to see it for myself - and good that I did, I was terribly amused :-)

Anonymous said...

That could be a bit a shock come 3am!!

hope company finds you soon :-)

(don't be tempted to offer a drink to whoever turns up to join you will you ;-) )

Anony

John H. D. Watson said...

L - if you've just received an odd text from me...it was from Sherlock. I hope it was entertaining.

Greg Lestrade said...

I did wonder...

"Help come home now because a burglar has broken in and tied me and Sherlock up and is stealing the Marmite and your guitar you have to come home NOW. From JOHN."

I mean, it sounds so much like you. Texting whilst tied up and all. But caring that the Marmite is being stolen? Unlikely.

Won't he go to bed?

Greg Lestrade said...

Anony...I have done it before. Hence my worry.

John H. D. Watson said...

He's getting better though. In a few years we're going to be in trouble.

Wouldn't go to bed, ran downstairs and hid with security (who were far too amused by the way), hid under our bed, nearly ran outside in his pyjamas... It's been an exciting evening.

Anonymous said...

That is gross Greg!

Hope Sherlock sleeps at some point John, although if he's tired tomorrow that could make life easier for Greg getting some sleep.

Anony

Greg Lestrade said...

In a few years we're going to have to devise some code so we know it's each other. One tied to something so uninteresting to him he'll never guess it.

You okay now? He in bed? Sounds like you're having a lot more excitement than me :) Miss you.

John H. D. Watson said...

Yeah, he's in bed. Asleep...well, we can't have everything. I told he him if he counted to 3600 eight times you'd be home. Suspect he'll be asleep before he manages it once.

Miss you too. Any more yellow cars?

Greg Lestrade said...

Nope. silver, black, dark blue, I think, and red.

Anony - It was my own! I think that's meant to be okay? Anyway, my thought process was roughly 'not very hot. Not very strong coffee...ah! Not coffee!'. It was late. or early.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure people do it all the time but still not what you were expecting to have in your mouth so still a shock ;-)

It is perfectly safe but contains very little caffine!!

Anony

Greg Lestrade said...

I've had more shocking...

Yes. Smells a lot like pure coffee though.

Is it wrong I feel better about admitting I've drunk my own piss here than on my own blog? Hah.

Anonymous said...

There is no need to ever finish that sentence, we all know how it ends ;-)

You know it shouldn't smell like coffee right? I can't believe you'd admit drinking your own piss anywhere but John's blog is a good enough place and you can always blame a tired ranting mind later ;-)

Anony

Greg Lestrade said...

Mine always smells like coffee when I've drunk coffee. Which is all the time.

Well, not so much recently.

I assumed it was normal. Just the filtering system at work.

And it was less 'drinking' than 'sipping and realising'.

Anonymous said...

you might be right, you do get red from eating beetroot and sugar puff smell from eating sugar puffs so why not coffee.

I didn't really think you'd managed a whole mug or something before you realised, it isn't possible to be that tired I'm sure although from the sound of it you'll be giving it a good go by morning :-(

Anony

John H. D. Watson said...

Maybe you just need an extra (empty) bottle.

Anonymous said...

If only there was always someone clever enough to make such a sensible suggestion John :-)

Try not to fall asleep getting home in the morning Greg :-)

Anony

Greg Lestrade said...

Finally somone else has turned up. So I'm allowed to use the toilet, should i wish.

Anonymous said...

all is well with the world :-)

I'm going to do that things we're not allowed to talk about now.;-) Be careful getting home in the morning.

Anony

Greg Lestrade said...

Thanks Anony. Will try not to.

Desert Wanderer said...

So I'm allowed to use the toilet, should i wish.

It's the little things in life...

Greg Lestrade said...

What are you calling litt... oh, I see what you mean.

I am bloody freezing. Might have to get up and jig about a bit. Air guitar some Jammy Badger hits.

Desert Wanderer said...

Are you having any luck coming up with more lyrics? And does your new companion have a phone with a video feature?

Greg Lestrade said...

Trying, now he's here.

Sadly its dark in here, wouldn't get a good vid. And one of us needs to be observing...

Desert Wanderer said...

"Here you see a Lestrade in his native habitat. Notice the highly energentic (almost frenetic) movements. The origins of these peculiar gyrations are unknown at this time. However, some practiced Lestrade-observers believe it to be the result of a highly-sensitive musical ear and a penchant for exuberant expression. Others believe it to be an attempt to woo the more reticent Watson by increasing the Watson's levels of amusement and fondness. Finally, the more pragmatic of Lestrade-watchers believes it's merely an attempt to drive away discomfort caused by brass-cold-itis"

Ro said...

All this insomnia talk is why I voted 'Sleepy' in your poll, Lestrade.

So much songwriting talent! You guys are amazing. I am in awe. I am also in my jammies despite it being lunchtime here. Hooray for Saturdays!

H. Savinien said...

Definite progress on the songwriting front, I see! I hope whoever it is turned up to help with your stakeout was/is at least mildly entertaining, Lestrade.

Greg Lestrade said...

Ro - no mentioning sleep!

DW... thanks :)

innie said...

John, have you been watching the tennis? The Isner-Djokovich match just ended, and now, weather permitting, it's time for Rafa and Roger - I mean Federicorn.

innie said...

Hey, Mycroft, I keep forgetting to mention this, but I just finished a book that I thought you would enjoy: David Bellos's Is That a Fish in Your Ear?: Translation and the Meaning of Everything. And I'd meant to recommend another book to you a long time ago when you were posting more about stargazing: Antoine de Saint-Exupery's Wind, Sand, and Stars. I do hope you've got time for some fun reading, what with all of your schoolwork and living with new people.

Mycroft said...

Thank you, Innie. I have looked them up and think I might enjoy them, especially Wind, Sand, and Stars.

REReader said...

You're up either very late or very early, Mycroft. Is everything all right?

Desert Wanderer said...

innie, you seem to be rather good at book recommendations. You don't happen to be a librarian or book reviewer or...professional book-recommender, do you?

(Hullo, Mycroft. :) )

Greg Lestrade said...

Hey Mycroft, hope you had a good day yesterday too.

innie said...

DW, the long answer is that I used to be a librarian and a lit professor (my field was Victorian poetry).

But the short (and real) answer is that I'm a busybody, and the only thing that makes me happier than telling other people what to read is curling up with a good book myself.

You're welcome, Mycroft - I hope you enjoy them!

Post a Comment