Tuesday, May 22, 2012

motorcycles i shouldn't even be considering

The Triumph website lured me back with their design-your-own feature...


But then there was this BMW...


...that I really, really like, I mean look at it. That 'other bikes' menu doesn't work for me, by the way. I think they're trying to tell me that there are no other bikes.

I shouldn't even be looking at this, I was going to get something used. And I especially shouldn't be looking at it at work! 

70 comments:

REReader said...

Maybe you could get that model used?

Or, you know, new. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

Although I love Triumph, BMW do make some very good bikes.

Why is this post tagged making me nervous?

pandabob said...

OMG John there are no other bikes than that BMW it is amazing!!

Everyone deserves to be able to treat themseves now and then and amazingly wonderful nannies even more so. Forget something used and buy something beautiful and brilliant.

(You two are going to be responsible for me actually learning to ride a bike you know! My dad will kill me but I'll just tell him the police and the medical profession think it's a good idea. OK? ;-) )

John H. D. Watson said...

It IS amazing, isn't it? If the picture were bigger, it would be my desktop wallpaper right now.

You two are going to be responsible for me actually learning to ride a bike you know!

Ha, excellent!

RR - maybe? It wouldn't be that shiny though...

L - because you still go white knuckled riding pillion with me. Which would probably happen more often if I had my own.

REReader said...

It wouldn't be that shiny though...

You could hire Sherlock to help clean-and-wax, now that he's an experienced bike-washer! (Or, you know, decide that new is a better value and thus really more economical. :))

pandabob said...

Your biggest problem might be trying to avoid sharing it with Greg John although if you were going to share them you could of course buy both ;-) (you can't have too many bikes so I've heard!)

But there does come a moment John where you have to be able to say 'that's my shiny thing' ;-)

Kholly said...

If I weren't about to become an exceedingly poor grad student I'd be test riding that triumph myself. It's the kind of bike I always thought I'd want if I ever learned to ride.

John H. D. Watson said...

Heh. I think that's what happened when I met L.

John H. D. Watson said...

Kholly - you could just test ride it... I suppose that might be unnecessarily cruel to yourself though.

Greg Lestrade said...

What happened when you met me? You claimed me as your shiny thing? Just don't share me...

mazarin said...

Hnnnng, that BMW is my favorite color red. It's gorgeous. I say go for it, if you can. Or try to find last year's model, used.

You do so much for so many people - you deserve something awesome for yourself. I think, anyway.

John H. D. Watson said...

L - hmm, recognised you as my shiny thing at least? Thought I might put you up as my desktop wallpaper and realised there were no other blokes for me? No intention of sharing.

Maz - thinking about it... You are all a terrible influence, I'm sure.

REReader said...

You are all an excellent influence, I'm sure.

Fixed!

mazarin said...

See, being a terrible influence implies that we're trying to get you to do something bad. Not so. We're trying to get you to do something you obviously want to do, deserve to do, and would enjoy. Because we like you like that.

And of course, what are friends for but to encourage you in things without regard to finances or understanding the actual logistics of doing such a thing?

John H. D. Watson said...

Maz - Murray clearly agrees with you. I emailed that picture earlier and got his response a few minutes ago. All it said was: 'DO IT DO IT NOW.'

pandabob said...

Just a shame Sherlock doesn't still have his credit card or I suspect you might arrive home one day to find one outside ;-)

I would like to echo DO IT DO IT NOW :-)

mazarin said...

Your mate Murray is clearly of superior intellect. :D

Anonymous said...

Pandabob you should stop vicariously buying bicycles!

Greg Lestrade said...

AnonyBob - happily not all of us had our credit cards confiscated...

pandabob said...

sorry anon but poor unemployed me will only ever manage to buy bike vicariously ;-)

Oh to have an other half like you Greg :-) it's a long time till John's birthday though ;-)

John H. D. Watson said...

It is a very long time till my birthday, and also that's a lot of money!

pandabob said...

But it's a shiny thing John, nothing is too much money for a shiny thing ;-)

You deserve a treat and you certainly deserve a wonderful new bike of your own :-)

I'm going to stop now before I get in trouble ;-)

REReader said...

But you've been a very good boy... :)

Greg Lestrade said...

Cant think.of anything better to spend money on than you and the boys.

Kholly said...

As I don't yet know how to ride I don't think they'd let me test ride one. Before I got accepted to grad school I'd been thinking a bike might be my consolation prize, and a much cheaper mid life crisis than an MFA. Now it will have to wait and maybe be my reward for getting a job after graduation.

John H. D. Watson said...

Kholly - ah, yes, that would sort of let out the possibility of a test ride. Damn.

L - But! Shouldn't you be encouraging me to get one I can learn how to fix and...things? Sensible things?

REReader said...

I'm sure one you really, really want to ride is at least as important as one you can fix and things!

Greg Lestrade said...

Get a new one and it shouldn't need fixing ;)

pandabob said...

my husband bought a 1978 MGB once because he thought it would be a good way to learn about cars and engines. he did learn a lot but mainly it was how to get oil out of him clothes, how to change spark plugs by the light of a torch and how to coast an engine less car across three lanes of traffic and down a slip road. we replaced it with a brand new car straight out of the garage with warranty and no near death experiences included ;-)

buy old and learn things you really rather you'd never had to or buy new and shiny and enjoy. there really is only one answer :-)

REReader said...

BMW sells "pre-owned" cars, with full warranties. Do they sell bikes that way, too? If so, it might be something to look into.

(Although, new is new... :))

Small Hobbit said...

It would appear that the badgers are all right behind you BUY IT!!! You really don't need to be sensible all the time.

John H. D. Watson said...

You all make valid points...

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm not saying buy it. I'm saying test ride it and then let me buy it for you.

I did have all second hand bikes when I started, partly because of money, partly because I rode like an idiot sometimes and dropped, crashed or broke bikes. Which you won't do. :)

mazarin said...

I'm saying test ride it and then let me buy it for you.

*hearts in eyes*

AWWWWWWWWWWWW. That is seriously romantic, John. Do you really want to deny L that sort of opportunity? Seriously. I'm just a big pile of fluff over here reading that.

John H. D. Watson said...

...Well. We could test ride it on one of your days of at least? That couldn't hurt.

Greg Lestrade said...

Sounds good.

I'll call and get them to lower the suspension ;)

Seriously though, no matter how much you like a bike's looks, you have to be comfy riding it. Much like other things in life. Thereve been a few bikes I've loved, but it hasn't worked out once I've tried them.

pandabob said...

Seriously John if you like it when you've had a test ride then you really should let Greg buy it. He loves spoiling you just like you love spoiling him so its only half a present for you really ;-)

You are both so adorably romantic :-)

piplover said...

Go for it! The best thing about being an adult is that you get to buy shiny new things! And you deserve it, John!

John H. D. Watson said...

L - much like other things, right. Heh.

Maz - I'm just a big pile of fluff over here reading that.

...yeah. You're not the only one.

REReader said...

*hearts in eyes*

Yes, this, me tooooo!

Greg Lestrade said...

Yup :)

might ask to try the r1200 triple black if they have one.

John H. D. Watson said...

I'll ask when I call them.

Greg Lestrade said...

Ha. Just don't be sad when I leave you for dust (no, definitely not suggesting we should race anywhere.)

Rider said...

Sit on them both... because the problem with BMWs is they are not always friendly to the short legged!

OK, my definition of short legs and yours might be different by an inch or two but still...

That said, I dislike the Trumpy but that's because I believe if you want to look like you have an old bike you get an old bike. You don't get the looks without working for them.

(I feel especially that way right now having finally got my 1973 Moto Guzzi back on the road and while she is a beautiful and majestic machine she has 40yo suspension and brakes...)

Greg Lestrade said...

Rider - I'm hoping he'll try out quite a few once we're there. But obviously I'll pay the extra for the lowered seat ;)

I don't mind the Triumph, but it wouldn't be my choice (obviously...I ride my choice.) But I'm happy with whatever he wants.

Anon Without A Name said...

I have no idea why you think that you shouldn't be looking at bikes like that, John.

Lestrade, you're a good man, you know that, right?

The pair of you together are just adorable :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

You're all very kind...but seriously, he's amazing. Clearly hasn't had enough people shower him with gifts in his life or tell him quite how amazing he is...

And I live virtually rent-free in his house while he works two jobs... I'm allowed to buy him presents without you all thinking I'm some sort of saint ;)

REReader said...

Saints are a bit dull, and I'm sure no one would accuse either of you of THAT! ;D We just think you're both very special. :)

pandabob said...

We know John's amazing that's why we've been telling him to treat himself because he really does deserve it :-)

you, well, telling you are adorable and romantic is not the same as saying you are a saint. Buying someone something you know they want but will not buy for themselves is adorable.

As for the 'rent free in his house while he works two jobs' well what is there to say about that? obviously you have nothing to do with the boys, do nothing in the house and have never cooked a meal since you moved in!! ;-)

John H. D. Watson said...

L - technically we're both living rent free in Mrs Hudson's house... You could buy her a motorcycle. ;)

Anon Without A Name said...

Lestrade, you're not living rent-free in John's house; the pair of you share your home. John works two jobs; you work 12-hour days and a fair amount of unpaid overtime. Both of you spend an enormous amount of time and effort to make the boys, and each other, happy.

No-one's suggesting you're a saint, but buying your boyfriend a wonderful present that he really wants, but is reluctant to buy for himself, just because you like to make him happy is a rather lovely thing for you to do. Daft old bugger :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

I just like seeing him happy. It's entirely selfish. Anyone who saw his smile would encourage it.

Anon Without A Name said...

It's entirely selfish

Uh huh.

(He does have a lovely smile, I'll grant you that)

pandabob said...

I think I may have said something along those lines earlier Greg, half a present for John and half a present for you ;-)

Smiles should be encouraged for everyone :-) (there are never enough smiles in the world!)

John H. D. Watson said...

L - I love you.

Greg Lestrade said...

Love you too :)

Greg Lestrade said...

And Mrs Hudson would love a bike, I'm sure...

John H. D. Watson said...

Maybe you should teach her to ride...

Greg Lestrade said...

Trying to get rid of me? She wouldn't let you have me back, I don't think ;)

John H. D. Watson said...

Just amused by the mental image. You're right though, too risky, she'd definitely want to keep you.

REReader said...

You okay, John?

(Shouldn't Mrs Holmes be getting a bike, being as she's paying the rent? :) Or do I have that wrong?)

A from NW (This week hates me.) said...

Just popping in really quickly to say 1) even as a non-motorcycle rider, I think you should buy shiny and new. (It's safer, even when your middle name isn't Danger!) =P

2) The two of you together, John and Greg, are adorable and sweet and there needs to be more couples like you out there.

3) Thanks for making me laugh today. I needed it.

Oh, and hopefully this ever happens, but 4) when crying in the restroom, make sure you're alone.

~A from NW

A from NW (oops. bad typo) said...

*never happens.

desk *mutters language inappropriate on a family blog*

It's been that kind of week.

~AfNW

REReader said...

I'm sorry you had a crying-in-the-restroom sort of day, AfNW. I hope you're feeling somewhat less sad, and...If there's anything I can do to help...?

(5. Also, remember that the tiling in restrooms amplifies sounds, so you aren't being as quiet as you think you are. Which I learned the hard way some years ago.)

A from NW (bed is just a hot chocolate away) said...

Thanks ReRe. Being at home after a dinner of comfort foods helps, and I'm probably going to sleep as early as I can tonight.

I share an office, so short of going outside in the rain, hiding in the restroom was the only way I was going to get the illusion of privacy during my breakdown... *sighs*

~AfNW

REReader said...

Yeah, know how that goes. Here's hoping it's not something you'll ever need again anyway...

Chocolate is usually good.

Greg Lestrade said...

Mrs Hudson technically owns the house, RR.

Sorry life isn't treating you well, A. You know where we are if there's anything we can do to help.

Small Hobbit said...

AfNW - sending virtual hugs or whatever would make you feel better, more hot chocolate etc

John H. D. Watson said...

RR - I was all right, just awake briefly.

A - I'm sorry you had a difficult day and I hope no one was awful to you. Please do tell us if we can do anything.

REReader said...

I hoped that was it, John. Good, then. :)

Post a Comment