Saturday, May 4, 2013

a post of pictures

First off, here's the one Nicky sent to L, asking if Greg-the-Florist had expanded his business... 


Sherlock's new shoes with exciting skulls and two colours of laces! 


Picture of a pond that Mycroft took. (I think it's really nice, I'm sending it to his mum too.) 


And a slightly blurry picture that I took with his phone of our blueberry bush in bloom... 


And when we got home, we made flapjacks, because...that's what you do after you have pizza for dinner?


 I swear we do eat quite a lot of vegetables. They just don't get discussed on here as often. And I never think to take pictures of peas or asparagus. Although they are quite nice looking when you think about it so perhaps I should. Well, maybe not peas. They're basically just small, green (sometimes wrinkled) balls. (I am now waiting to see what L will say about balls...)

Tomorrow...in theory at least...we're going rock climbing. There's a place that has all the gear and gives lessons for beginners. When I say 'we' I might mean Sherlock and Mycroft. L is remembering climbing a tree at Nicky's and the regret that followed, and I'm not sure how my shoulder will feel about it, but we'll certainly try, and I think the boys will love it. (Wish us luck.) 

38 comments:

Greg Lestrade said...

I won't mention your desire to take pics of green wrinkly balls. Although interestingly, it may be a chance that presents itself if you become an FME...

Climbing...yeah. I feel like the boys have a better chance. I sort of don't feel like I'm built to haul myself up sheer rockfaces. Both boys'll probably be off like a ferret up a trouser leg though.

John H. D. Watson said...

Yeah - but on ropes! It'll be like finally having Sherlock on a leash...

Although interestingly, it may be a chance that presents itself if you become an FME...

If so, I'll be sure to show you the pictures.

Greg Lestrade said...

True, and a very good point.

I'm sure any such pictures you would have to treat with the strictest of confidence.

I think Greg and John should open up a Gay Creamery if ice cream sales around here are anything to go by...

John H. D. Watson said...

Considering most of my patients will be alive (that sounds wrong), I'm quite hopeful I won't see any wrinkly green balls at all...

A combined pizza and ice cream shop, possibly.

pandabob said...

yay climbing :-)

Those shoes are great, absolutely perfect for the number one pirate in the world.

sleep well or whatever gets you to morning John and don't work too hard Greg :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

was thinking about seeing what delights the canteen might provide me - but getting word of a stabbing now, so might have to move out to that. Awaiting details...

Danger - never underestimate what people call the police to deal with. Some people would think waking up to green bollocks would be a police call. Been called to weirder.

John H. D. Watson said...

Thanks, Anonybob.

L - good luck with the stabbing. Which also sounds wrong, but...you know what I mean.

Surely green balls would be reason to call a doctor, not the police?? What would the police do, arrest your bollocks? Not your personal... I'll just stop.

Greg Lestrade said...

When I was a PC I was sent on a call to a man with a prosthetic leg.

He'd had a prosthetic leg when he went to bed the night before...but he swore it was the other leg. He said 'they'd' been out to get him to think he was going mad by making him believe he'd been abducted by aliens who'd switched his legs...

The rule book didn't cover that one.

(the photos of him around the flat with his prosthetic leg clearly on the same side as it currently was were all part of the deception...)

We had to get the FME and his family out on that one. Don't know what became of him.

John H. D. Watson said...

...I can see this is going to be an interesting job.

Kestrel337 said...

Rock climbing! Do they use a self-belay system? Such things didn't yet exist when I learned it, and I learned at volume that "oh CRAP!" is not an acceptable substitution for "FALLING!" when communicating with your belay partner.

Hope the stabbing is as straight forward as such things can ever be, L.

Greg Lestrade said...

Not sure we're allowed to call you out to jobs like that anymore..

Anyway, I'm off out to meet soco in case this stabbing turns into a murder. Give me a call before you turn in. And I'll see you in the morning.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't want to belay for Sherlock, the little nippy climbers are soooooo difficult, I remember looking at one lad, who frequently climbed the same quarry without all the gear, and thinking, god I hope he doesn't slip because I was a good twenty feet behind on the rope!

Lancs. Anon
(Those were the days for school trips when they'd let someone as gormless as me belay!)

REReader said...

That's quite an idyllic pond photo--I like the effects added, not overdone, just right.

And those are fabulous shoes, especially with double lacing!

I hope your stabbing is not too complicated and is quickly wrapped up, L, and that your having a fairly peaceful night, John.

Rock climbing sounds like a perfect outing, Sherlock and Mycroft should both enjoy it. And it's an adventure! Have fun... :)

Greg Lestrade said...

Not too bad. And nearly time to hand over and go and sleep

Greg Lestrade said...

Sherlock is climbing the walls without the aid of ropes. We haven't even left yet. I think he'll be climbing me on the bike.

REReader said...

:)

Have a wonderful time!

Greg Lestrade said...

As predicted, the boys have proven themselves part human, part spider.

Anonymous said...

Did you not realise that Spider is a radioactive spider? Did they not tell you about the biting incident?

Lancs. Anon

REReader said...

Ha, Lancs, you beat me to it!

Is the adult contingent climbing or observing? :)

Greg Lestrade said...

We have climbed. Currently observing. May climb a little more.

Sherlock said...

It was brilliant thank you for taking us please can we go again?

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah, I daresay we can. You were both very good.

Anonymous said...

How high did you climb, Sherlock?

rsf

Sherlock said...

Really high!

Higher than a house, definitely.

John H. D. Watson said...

That was really polite, Sherlock, thank you.

And yeah, you were pretty high up. It was amazing watching you two.

Greg Lestrade said...

And so much nicer, knowing you were on ropes :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like tremendous fun. I miss being able to rock climb. Did you rappel back down or did you have a different way to get back to the start?

rsf

Sherlock said...

We abseiled and I think that's the same and the i comes after the e because it's German.

Greg Lestrade said...

Is that right, Sherlock? Why is weird spelt weird, do you know that?

Sherlock said...

Because it's a stupid rule that doesn't even work half the time.

REReader said...

Yes, indeed, that is the same as rappelling. (I haven't done either rock climbing or rappelling, but my brother has and liked it very much.) Sounds like an altogether special day!

Anonymous said...

Yup, as far as I know abseiling and rappelling are the same animal. Although I confess to thinking of abseiling as including more of the "jump off the rock face and hope you don't go too fast" and less of the "walking backwards down the rock."

As for "weird" the earliest versions have only the e or an e and y, so it was probably pronounced more like a long a before the great vowel shift.

rsf

Anonymous said...

And Sherlock, did you know that the rule actually goes "I before E except after C or as sounded as "A" as in neighbor and weigh?"

Although that doesn't explain "either", unless there's an English dialect that makes it sound like Ayther.

rsf

Sherlock said...

It doesn't explain loads of words it's a silly saying because what about weird and foreign and lots of other words too.

Greg Lestrade said...

Bed, you.

You can continue your English lesson tomorrow.

RSF - there are English accents that make every vowel sound sound like everey other one. There's definitely places that say 'ayther'.

REReader said...

Ah, well, that's what happens when spellings get fixed and pronunciations don't. Sometimes it gives you a good clue to how words used to be pronounced, though, and that's interesting.

Night night, Sherlock!

rsf said...

L, I can believe it. Not even the mass media can drown out all variants of pronunciation.

Sherlock, spelling rules in English are never perfect because we borrowed the letters instead of making our own, we borrow words that use the same letters from other languages and keep their spellings even when they use different rules, and because we borrowed the letters before English did something very peculiar. We shifted the sounds of the vowels one over. So an "i" used to be sounded like the sound in the middle of "sheep", and still is sometimes in borrowed words, for example. But there wasn't a letter for the long a sound before the shift. It was spelled "ei". That's why reign and rain rhyme. I think it's also why we have doubled vowels in words like moon, which sounds like it could be spelled mune.

rsf (who has gotten a blog! But so far it is boring.)

Greg Lestrade said...

I think his issue is that people still trot out these 'rules' which don't really work.

Can I just say, my little family here are all brilliant. We've been paddling in a stream on our walk and trying to spot fish. And it's just generally fantastic being with them.

Post a Comment