Today, we went to the Frasassi Caves. This is on the way there:
And these are the caves:
You're not supposed to take pictures, so we didn't, but there are plenty online if you want to see more. It was... I don't know. Beautiful, of course. Astonishing, fascinating. But more than that, too. There's a feeling of stillness and age and time there that I've only rarely experienced before.
On a sillier note, Harry sent me this picture:
We might need one...


24 comments:
That picture is lovely John :-) I can understand why they wouldn't want you taking picture when you were there because the clicking and flashing would probably ruin the mood of the place.
I'm glad you're all having fun :-)
The caves make you feel oddly small. They're hundreds of metres high.
I did some translating as the tours are in Italian. And then tried to give John directions on the way back... But accidentally in Italian. He understood though!
Had a brilliant day. One thunderstorm, but otherwise sun and countryside and mountains! And tonight...pizza!
You'll be able to have full conversations in Italian by the time you get home ;-)
Enjoy your pizza :-)
The pizza sounds great and the caves look amazing.
I'm extremely envious - today we've had downpours and yesterday I had to have my lights on driving to and from work. Enjoy the sunshine and the warmth.
Ive got right back in the habit of espresso after dinner. Lovely :)
They have ice cream called semi freddo here and that means like half cold and it's gooey and tastes really nice and I like it a lot. And I've had almond flavour and lemon cream and grandma's biscuits and loads of others too and pizza and it's great and the caves were really really big and they had stalagmites 20metres high and we got some pictures even though you shouldn't but we were careful and didn't use flash or anything.
we got some pictures even though you shouldn't
Oh we did, did we?
Sounds like a wonderful day, I'm really very jealous. Those caves look fascinating.
Sherlock, it certainly sounds like you're making the most of Italian cuisine :-)
Mycroft, are you having a good holiday?
Mmm, I've always wanted to try semi freddo.
AftSO
Semi freddo sounds exactly up my alley (street?). I think ice cream tastes so much better slightly melty.
Those caves look beyond amazing. It looks like you have to get there by boat? Is it a walking tour or a boat tour?
Those caves look awesome, in the literal sense--worthy of awe. (No one could object to pictures with no flash, surely... ;))
The semi freddo sounds pretty awesome, too!
I'm glad you're all having such a special holiday. :)
Those caves look amazing. I'm glad you're all having such a good time.
The semi freddo sounds really good, too! I like it when my ice cream is just getting melty.
I think I may have to add going to Italy to my bucket list. So much to see!
Spelunking is definitely a fun vacation activity. -Adds to Bucket List-
Love that cutting board!
After dinner espresso? Wonder what that extra caffeine rush is being used for...
An ice cream called grandma's biscuits sounds tasty.
The caves look wonderful, too. Thank you for the picture! I've been in a few tourist caves (no real spelunking, not yet) and I always like the feel of them. Did they turn off the lights for you, to show you how dark it really is without them?
Lestrade and John,
I have been wanting a motorcycle this week. I'm sure it has mostly to do with the fact that i'm riding 100+ miles a week on my bicycle, and so i'm very tired, but still, i'm blaming the two of you.
That's all. I'm glad Italy is lovely. :)
-Ella
I wanted to remember them and the pictures online aren't good enough and so we had to take pictures!
Today I had a croissant filled with custard and yesterday we played yellow car in Italian and that's machina giallo but you say it mak-in-ah jiah-loh .
Mmmm, custard filling! I love creamy sweet foods. :)
Jiah-loh sounds a lot more like yellow than giallo looks, which is interesting.
Do you have a favorite thing from your holiday so far, Sherlock?
He said no. Then ice cream. Then caves. Then cakes for breakfast. Then no again...so i think he's enjoying most of it!
Saw two of my cousins today. Just had a drink and a chat in the square. They both speak pretty good English, so could talk to John and the boys without me having to translate. When I translate I frequently mix up the languages. Clearly I'm not good at it.
You can't do much better than a trip where pretty much everything is favorite!
(I think it's very wonderful to know a second language so well that you aren't sure which one you're speaking--that's being truly bilingual.)
Italian is such an incredibly gorgeous language. I'm sure my grandmother Maremonte would be distressed that I only know what I know from my diction for singers class. (But then, I suspect grandma Schultz feels the same way about me and German.) Sensei once said he knew he was bilingual when he dreamt in the other language, and talked to dogs in it.
Have you dreamed in Italian yet, Sherlock?
We just got back from a journey out to the countryside for sightseeing and dinner. And we stopped on the way back in the middle of nowhere to see thousands of fireflies. Amazing to share with J and the boys.
you sound like you're having the most amazingly wonderful holiday Greg, I'm so glad that you're able to share such lovely things with your family :-)
Oooh, fireflies! I haven't been anywhere I could see those in years. Too much built up around here, and I'm hardly ever out at dusk anymore.
It sounds like you're all having the best sort of vacation. Too busy for the internet is great!
Although Mycroft, when you do have time you might want to check out the new pictures of Comet Ison.
http://www.space.com/21366-comet-ison-photos-gemini-observatory.html
Post a Comment