I enjoy how all the math ones are also related to baking.
From Book Geek:
From Jessica B.:
Also from Jessica B, in the chemistry department:
Lestrade read me this one and wouldn't show me her explanation. It took me about two hours to get it (I was sick, all right?) and then I groaned a lot. Because I am much nicer than he is, her explanation is below the cut.
I googled pi pie in a haze of absurdity around four this morning and found a photo taken by a man for his partner's and his pi-iversary. Very sweet. Literally.

Now Sherlock is set on making one for pi day (March 14th). Mycroft is more reserved about it, less vocal, but I can see the glint in his eye and the pi design sketches in the margins of his physics text. I'm not complaining, honestly, but I could occasionally wish they were interested in something I know the first thing about. Rugby? {i said i wanted to learn to shoot but you said no.} (And I meant it, Sherlock.) Anything age appropriate I know the first thing about. [Sherlock still wants that human heart to dissect. I wouldn't object to helping. Science is always age appropriate.]
...Science is always age appropriate. He's got me there. I'm 90% certain dissecting human body parts isn't. But that still leaves 10% worth of doubt, doesn't it?
From Book Geek:
Q: What do you get when you cut a jack o'lantern by its diameter?
A: Pumpkin Pi!
From Jessica B.:
If z is the radius and a is the thickness of the crust, what do you get?
pi*z*z*a
or pi*z^2*a
Either way, it's tasty!
Also from Jessica B, in the chemistry department:
NaCl/KOH
Lestrade read me this one and wouldn't show me her explanation. It took me about two hours to get it (I was sick, all right?) and then I groaned a lot. Because I am much nicer than he is, her explanation is below the cut.
The base (KOH or potassium hydroxide) is under assault (a salt, NaCl sodium chloride).
I googled pi pie in a haze of absurdity around four this morning and found a photo taken by a man for his partner's and his pi-iversary. Very sweet. Literally.
...Science is always age appropriate. He's got me there. I'm 90% certain dissecting human body parts isn't. But that still leaves 10% worth of doubt, doesn't it?
12 comments:
You could give him a pig's heart or two to practise on. That way he won't mess up the human heart when he (inevitably) gets one.
J
Mmm... if not rugby, what about martial arts? It would teach him to defend himself by other means than shooting, and it's also fun. Perhaps Wu Shu or Aikido?
J - We did sort of discuss a pig's heart at one point. I believe the verdict was "boring" but I'll try again. That I could get from the butcher. And I'd feel a lot more comfortable keeping it in our fridge. (I imagine Lestrade would be happier about it too.)
...You are quite right. I would feel more comfortable if you didn't have human organs in your fridge.
Lupe - That is quite a good idea, for both of them. Self defense is also always age appropriate, as far as I'm concerned.
Lestrade - ...Yeah.
Re martial arts, I hear that the Japanese art of baritsu is quite popular.
Oh yes, it's a sort of Japanese wrestling, isn't it? Well suited to Sherlock, I should think. He can already wiggle out of just about any hold, especially when I'm trying to get him out the door for school in the mornings.
My friend reasons why they're food related is because mathematicians are always hungry. My friend seems to think the mathematician are the new starving artist(read teacher).
Martial arts is always good choice for self defense and exercise. I might suggest Tae kwan do? I did it for a few years. It was pretty fun and Master was a great teacher.
Celebrating Pi Days has always been fun activity. One thing that our class did was have a math competition or see who memorized Pi the best. (I won the memorization, but never the math one. I'm a bit rubbish at it without pen and paper.) Oddly enough, one teacher warned us the dangerous of Pi. Apparently, someone went made from trying to learn all of it. We not sure if we believe that.
I do remember her once reciting a poem about Pi. I'll see if I can find it. (She was a wee bit enthusiastic about math)
So, here's one that hasn't got anything to do with baking and is math-related:
RO
OT
I'll let you all ponder.
Btw, Lestrade totally had to ask for the answer, so good for you John!
Book Geek - She sounds like a wonderful teacher. :) I'm now far too tempted to offer a prize to whichever of the boys can memorize the most of pi, but I think the real danger might be me going mad as they recite it again and again.
Jessica - .....It's a square root, isn't it. Oh my dear god, that is terrible. Ha!
Also, Lestrade is SNEAK and I will be speaking to him shortly.
Erm, an interruption: Pi is the wrong circle constant. It should be 2*pi, which can be called Tau for short. It makes a whole bunch of math much simpler and more elegant. A better and more passionate explanation here: http://vihart.com/blog/pi-is-still-wrong/
I get... a bit worked up when the pre-calc class I am a teacher's assistant in teaches students radians using pi and they invariably get confused. There is a better way! But teachers don't use it yet!
Sorry to rain on the math joke parade. But hey, how do you fix a broken pumpkin? With a pumpkin patch!
Post a Comment