Tuesday, November 1, 2011

day one

All right, first off, I never actually said I'd blog every day for November; I said maybe. Maybe! Don't believe everything Lestrade tells you. And don't google it either. Anyhow. With no commitment at all to doing the rest of the month, I suppose I could start by telling you about Sunday and the pond.

We started, as L said, with a big muddy hole, which everyone under ten, including the dogs, used as an excuse to get absolutely filthy. Several people over the age of ten got just as filthy inadvertently. The slope down is steeper than it looks and surprisingly slippery when wet. Sherlock painted his face with stripes of mud, and then he painted the dogs.

The liner went pretty well once the dogs were convinced to get out from under it. Phobos does that with the sheets sometimes when I'm making the bed. Deimos usually has more dignity but not, apparently, when covered in mud.


Filling it, no problems. Then the pump, which L mentioned in the comments of his post, which was a problem. In some way I'm still not completely clear on. There was a lot of dark muttering and swearing in Italian.

He said at one point in the comments that made vague suggestions and I organised people, but in fact I wouldn't have had the first idea how to go about this project without him. Division of labour was more like he told us what to do and we did it and then stood around while he frowned at the hole/liner/pump and figured out how to make it work properly. My largest contribution was probably hosing off the dogs - not an insignificant task.

And we're almost done! A day or two more for pea gravel and plants (non-carnivorous) and I think that's it.

Right, now someone tell me what to write about tomorrow. 

50 comments:

Small Hobbit said...

How about writing about autumn? You've done a fair amount of walking this last month, with and without Sherlock, so descriptions of the parks maybe. When we were in London I used to enjoy walking through the parks, kicking up the leaves etc. Or memories of autumn.

Liz said...

How about places you would like to go on holiday? Either to show the boys different areas of interest or just because you've always wanted to go! -x-x-

Desert Wanderer said...

We'll just sit here in hope, then. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

Plants and rocks and things for creatures to lurk under...

So, what's the thing you've made that you're most proud of, Danger?

REReader said...

And don't google it either.

Too late on that one--and quite the education I've been getting... :D

And I now have this image of mud-striped Sherlock and dogs skulking through bushes, looking for someone to leap on.

No carnivorous plants? I'm shocked. Shocked! (Maybe a terrarium?)

Topic suggestion: How about sharing some of the contents of the flat's bookshelves?

Lyra said...

Umm...for topic suggestion..how about army stories?
*hides under the bed*

REReader said...

A day or two more for pea gravel and plants (non-carnivorous) and I think that's it.

And fish and frogs? Or are they going to let it self-populate?

innie said...

I'd like to hear about a couple of things, all intensely personal, so feel free to curse me out.

What made you decide to become a doctor and a soldier? How did you make that pairing work?

What do you think the boys will be when they grow up (other than good men)?

I'd like to hear more about you and Harry growing up - I'm convinced that any siblings have some shared joke or memory just from growing up in the same house.

Okay, one throwaway: if you suddenly had the skill to cook anything (even jilebi), what would it be? What would your family get to eat that night?

X said...

John, if you don't feel up to NaNoWriMo or even NaNoBloMo, there's always good old WriSoMiFu, which was always my personal favourite (those are all googleable and rativrly kid friendly. Maybe not the last one, entirely).

Uni always meant I was writing close to 50,000 words in papers or marking double that. Now for the first time in six years I have neither excuse. I may try to draw something daily --or at least work on a piece if not finish it -- every day instead.

X said...

Pardon the unnecessary daily / every day repetition; I can't scroll through what I've written on my phone.

Also my word verification was Nonsesse, so I think your blog (correctly) doubts my commitment to NaNoDrawMo....

REReader said...

I think these NaNo things have gotten out of hand a bit...

Greg Lestrade said...

What education? Blame Google, not me!

REReader said...

Hey, Google is just a search engine! You are the Source of Innuendo.

REReader said...

(Okay, if you two are gonna try it, I'm agonna try it too. Given my track record for blogging, I'm wouldn't hold out much hope that I'll keep to it, but I'll try. If you are masochistic enough to want to see how fast I fail, my blog is here.)

Greg Lestrade said...

Danger, sorry, busy day. On way home now.

John H. D. Watson said...

Anything interesting?

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. That's quite a lot to think about.

Greg Lestrade said...

Not really, no. I mean, no more so than your average murder.

Tired now though.

You done anything special?

John H. D. Watson said...

Not really. A man dressed as a zombie bit me in the arm on the way from dropping Sherlock off at school though.

Greg Lestrade said...

Actually bit you??

You sure it was someone dressed up?

John H. D. Watson said...

Well, if I wake up in the morning with a craving for brains...

Actually bit me. I'd be fine even if he was a genuine zombie though. He just got a mouthful of jacket.

REReader said...

A man dressed as a zombie bit me in the arm

That's...weird and more than slightly disturbing.

John H. D. Watson said...

I think he was going home from a party, probably not entirely sober.

Greg Lestrade said...

If he'd bitten you properly he'd have got seconds of my knuckles and dessert in the nick where he'd be charged with assault.

I suppose the slightly interesting thing about my murder was that no one noticed the body was actually dead for God knows how long. Last night at least. The joy of a night when everyone's drunk and covered in blood...

John H. D. Watson said...

I'll give you a description in case he strikes again - sort of grey-green, blood leaking out his ears and eyes...

Oh dear. He wasn't at a party, was he? I'm imagining him sitting there dead on the sofa in the middle of it all.

Greg Lestrade said...

Less party, more collection of drugged and drunk people in various states of consciousness and undress.

John H. D. Watson said...

I think that counts as a party for a lot of people.

REReader said...

...Weird.

(That's a twice lucky zombie--second, that he didn't hurt you, John, and so didn't have to face the Wrath of Lestrade, and first that you had already dropped off Sherlock. You'd not have been so blase if Sherlock'd still been with you.)

Anon Without A Name said...

RR - I suspect three time lucky; I can't imagine that, had the zombie actually been a threat, the Wrath of John would have been much fun either :-p

REReader said...

Ha, yes, I folded that into my "first" in my mind, but of course the Wrath of John would come in both ways--as would the Wrath of Lestrade. :)

Greg Lestrade said...

Probably. It seemed pretty sad. Don't even think most of them liked each other.

I would like to point out that I am against violence...but I do have a bit of a streak of protective rage.

I'd like to think I wouldn't really have punched him. Arrested, quite possibly.

REReader said...

Protective rage is a Good Thing.

Desert Wanderer said...

I was going to ask, given the results of the earlier poll on violence actually solving anything. But it seems like everyone's had an odd day...

Greg Lestrade said...

RR - I would argue 'not always'.

DW - It wouldn't have solved anything. It would have made a lot of things worse. And I'd hope never to do such a thing really. I'll just stick to talking a good fight.

REReader said...

...Hmm, yes. Or "within reasonable limits".

Anon Without A Name said...

Lestrade - for a man who is intensely protective of those he cares about, you are remarkably restrained - remember how you hit the locker when that PC was a little too officious with Sherlock that time?

Desert Wanderer said...

I figured not. Figured it was just a pop-off. Are you making a post of your own today, since the Doc is one up on you?

John H. D. Watson said...

Don't even think most of them liked each other.

That really is sad.

Greg Lestrade said...

DW - just posted it.

Danger - it was. And obviously none of them can remember anything.

X said...

On a non-posting topic, John, I just noticed the other day that you've stopped changing your blog background once a month. Are you planning to do so now that the winter is setting in again? (Not that this one isn't lovely, and I have now come to associate your blog with the pretty green colour, hah).

On a posting note, I second whoever it was above who asked if you'd mind sharing some army stories. My dad is ex-air force, and he always had fantastic stories. Though, of course, as his youngest daughter I never heard any of the combat-related ones... just the random anecdotes and out of the ordinary experiences.

John H. D. Watson said...

X - might do, yeah. They have a lot more decent winter pictures than summer ones. I'll think about the army stories, try to sort out some that are safe for Sherlock to read and later cross-exam me about

Are you going to share any of your drawings? I'd love to see them.

Calliope said...

Wow. I was in Reno, NV over the weekend and Saturday seemed to be full of Zombies. None of them tried to bite me, though. I did, however, find Waldo/Wally. He was in an elevator with a Viking.

Desert Wanderer said...

What about something you were unexpectedly good or bad at?

Anon Without A Name said...

John, same subject as I asked Lestrade: what impact do you think that blogging so openly about your life has had on you?

REReader said...

I like Namelesses idea. :)

REReader said...

(No, I'm pretty sure that's wrong. Nameless'? Nameless's? Where's Mycroft? He'd know.)

Lupe said...

OMG... what a party. :O Kind of like those urban legends about people going alone to the movies and dying there, chocked on popcorn. :S

X said...

ReReader: if I recall correctly (and without breaking out my style manuals) MLA would say apostrophe S on Nameless's; Chicago would have the apostrophe only.

John: I hadn't thought about sharing my art, but... sure? Hah. Here's the one that I finished last night -- cheating, rather, since I'd been working on it on and off for a week, but November made me buckle down and get it done.

HTML code not working so links abound:

http://flickr.com/gp/77334973@N00/8gC253

In progress shots, if anyone is interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/77334973@N00/tags/pencilcrayon/

What I'm working on now is simpler, but as a Firefly fan you might approve. The design was originally on a tshirt by Karen Hallion, but a friend of mine wanted the picture to hang on her wall, so I'm redoing it, probably in ink if I can find where I put them.

http://flickr.com/gp/77334973@N00/PbY604

Like you and L, I could use suggestions for pieces too. :D

X said...

(I'm also not clear on how sharing links on Flickr works with my privacy settings, so let me know if you can't see them).

As for stories, there are probably more than a few that my dad has chosen not to share with me, haha, and I'm not nearly as... tenacious...as Sherlock when it comes to questioning. I do know he can't stand raspberries thanks to his survival training where he ended up eating almost nothing but, or gin after a stint in Africa where he and his mates had to brush their teeth using it since the water was completely unsafe. Or in Egypt where they had to put cups of water around the legs of their beds and stopper the sink with it to keep the cockroaches from getting them... ah, the glamorous places the military takes you. ;)

John H. D. Watson said...

X - those are amazing! I'm very very impressed, and the Calvin and Hobbes Firefly one is perfect.

Ah yes, the glamorous military life... Think he was trying to dissuade you from joining up? Heh.

X said...

Thanks very much, John! It's something I love to do, but rarely seem to have time for any longer. Doesn't seem November will change that either -- day three and I'm behind with no chance to draw tonight or over the weekend! Ah well.

Hah, I dot think there was ever a danger of my joining up, really, but if there ever had been, I'm sure his stories would have made me think twice.

Post a Comment