Saturday, June 30, 2012

return of greg the florist

A few minutes later they each had a steaming mug of tea and fresh bread thickly slathered in butter and jam. They watched the sun dip behind the trees in a blaze of golden-red glory.

Behind them the castle loomed, windows dark. An owl screeched in the nearby woodlands.

Greg shivered.


"It's too bad we don't have a ghost," John. "It'd be good for business." 

Greg shot him a quick glance, but he appeared to be perfectly serious. "Quite glad we don't, I think," he said. 

"No old legends? Women in white? Women in black? Why's it always women in white or black? It's never little boys in red. Or grandfathers in blue."

"Drama," Greg suggested. 

"Suppose so." 

The sun left a lingering line of fire along the tree tops and then vanished entirely. The light went from warm to cool blue, and John edged closer as the temperature dropped. They stood there until the blue washed away and ink black spread out over the hills and sky. The stars bloomed, a handful at a time, until they covered everything. There was no moon. 

"Inside," John said, finally. "Come on. It's too...big out here." 

Greg thought he knew what he meant. Both sky and possibilities seemed infinite, more than his mind could comfortably contain, and the future was as penetrable as the dark bulk of the night forest. 

He took John's hand and led him inside for more tea, and toast, and bed. 

*

In the morning, he lay in bed for all of five minutes when he woke, and then he picked up the phone and called an electrician. That was where the trouble really began.

---

On a non-florist-related note, I've bought racquet-shaped pasta again for Wimbledon. 

112 comments:

Greg Lestrade said...

right...well I'm scared of that castle now!

Desert Wanderer said...

John Watson, you have the soul of a poet. Gorgeous imagery.

Anonymous said...

I agree, that's lovely writing. Very evocative.

Although you definitely don't want any little boy ghosts. They either play with the commodes and cause trouble, or they're like the Cauld Lad and are a downright menace.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Notes_on_the_folk-lore_of_the_northern_counties_of_England_and_the_borders/Chapter_7 and then go down to find the word "Gilsland".

rsf

Small Hobbit said...

I believe headless ghosts tend to be male.

Great writing - can definitely imagine the surroundings; all dark and dingy.

I can understand the ghosts (are you sure there aren't any?) not wanting an electrician to get the lights working and destroy the atmosphere.

John H. D. Watson said...

Thanks, guys. :) Just trying to keep up with L!

And L - it could just be trouble with the plumbing...

Greg Lestrade said...

Keep up with me in what sense? You're normally miles ahead of me.

And Greg the Florist does not have trouble with his plumbing! Or did you mean his castle?

Anonymous said...

Is Greg the Florist a Canterville, I wonder? Because you're in for a really interesting ride then!

John H. D. Watson said...

L - your descriptions and things! They got all poetic in the last one.

I'm sure I'd never suggest Greg had any trouble with his personal plumbing - at least I hope not, since his John doesn't seem to be a doctor.

Greg Lestrade said...

Oh, did they? It's you, bringing out the poet in my soul....

His John is an ex underwear model, though. Half the qualification, I reckon ;)

Greg Lestrade said...

Fancy a walk tomorrow, Danger and Sherlock? There might be tea during or after...

Sherlock said...

Tea with ice cream?

Anonymous said...

Ice cream is always good!

Anonymous said...

Will there be newts?

rsf

Greg Lestrade said...

Jo and Lisa invited us, kiddo. (and Mycroft, and the dogs, but I don't know how busy he is with school) so, knowing Jo, if you phoned her and asked if there could be ice cream, she could probably figure something out...

Sherlock said...

I'll call her right now!

John H. D. Watson said...

You will not. You don't get invited to someone's home and then tell them what to serve, Sherlock.

Sherlock said...

But Lestrade said!

John H. D. Watson said...

Lestrade's just looking to get revenge for the baked Alaska.

Greg Lestrade said...

Sherlock, just tell her that any walk needs to involve some form of refreshments. Blame me and my caffeine addiction if you need to get around Nanny John's glare. (And also tell her you want baked alaska. Or a souffle.)

Anonymous said...

Any luck on the ice cream front, Sherlock, or has John hidden all the phones?

rsf

John H. D. Watson said...

In a minute he's going to call and pretend to be Sherlock I think...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a plan to me. Mmmmmm. Ice cream...

Does Sherlock know how to make his own?

http://crafts.kaboose.com/ice-cream-in-a-bag.html

Works to make slush too, depending on what you put in the inner bag.

rsf

Sherlock said...

I want to make that next!

Anonymous said...

It's fun. I do it on hot days in the summer, because I only need one serving of ice cream most of the time. Sometimes you have to shake the bag longer than five minutes, though, depending on how cold the milk was to start. You can try lots of different flavors, once you know the technique, or even add chocolate chips or berries. (Google "homemade ice cream recipes" and you'll find some suggestions, but you can invent your own.)

Do you know why it works?

rsf

Sherlock said...

No why? I know cream gets thick when you stir it around because I've seen Lestrade make whipped cream but I don't really know why and I don't know what the salt is for.

Anonymous said...

You can do an experiment to find out what the salt is for if you have a thermometer. Try making two cups of mostly ice with a little water on the bottom, and check back and forth with the thermometer to see when they're both the same temperature. Then add kosher salt to one of them, stir a little so it gets distributed over the ice, and leave the thermometer in there to see what happens.

If you have two thermometers you can measure both cups at the same time, but most people don't have two.

You can also try measuring how cold the milk is when you put it in, and how cold the ice cream is once you've made it.

rsf (I'll explain why, if you like, but I have to go to the store first and I thought you might like the experiment.)

Sherlock said...

I can't try it tonight because it's quiet time now but maybe I can do it tomorrow and then we could take some to Jo and Lisa since John wouldn't let me call them and ask for ice cream or even tell them what Lestrade said about coffee.

Anonymous said...

All right. After you've experimented, if you still have questions about why you need salt, you can ask me. I may be in and out a lot this week -- my brother is visiting me, and there are a lot of celebrations happening here for the anniversary of the War of 1812 -- but I'll check the blogs when I can.

Have fun visiting with Jo and Lisa! I bet they'll like ice cream too.

rsf

Anon Without A Name said...

Lovely imagery there, John. And I did not know you could get racquet-shaped pasta...

John H. D. Watson said...

Ah, but now that you know, don't you want some?

Anonymous said...

Racquet shaped pasta with little bitty meatballs!

John H. D. Watson said...

That would be perfect.

Greg Lestrade said...

shall I form a net from...seaweed? Herbs? Could weave some chives...

John H. D. Watson said...

Now you're just mocking me. But it would be good with basil.

Greg Lestrade said...

might make a little umpire's chair from celery...

John H. D. Watson said...

And a green and purple cake for after?

Greg Lestrade said...

not strawberries and cream?

John H. D. Watson said...

Maybe. Or the cake could have strawberries in it...

Anonymous said...

Or you could go for something like these.

http://sportsfood.tumblr.com/search/tennis

I kind of like the cupcake in the corner best.

rsf

REReader said...

Woo for more Greg-the-Florist! And I too am now scared of the castle--and it's wiring!

That's a great idea for homemade ice cream, RSF--and if you do try it, and/or the salt ice experiment, Sherlock, I hope you'll tell us about it, they both sound really interesting!

Sherlock said...

Jo does funny animal impressions and she said we CAN have ice cream and chocolate sprinkles and strawberries.

REReader said...

It sounds like you're having a really great day, Sherlock! (Did Jo do any newt impressions? :D)

Sherlock said...

Lestrade said they were John impressions and John tried to push him in the river

John H. D. Watson said...

I didn't try that hard or he'd be much wetter right now. Even when he said he had an interpretive dance to show us entitled: 'A newt without a motorcycle'.

Greg Lestrade said...

You don't know what you're missing...

I might get you a helmet especially painted with a glum newt.

John H. D. Watson said...

You mean an expressionless newt?

Small Hobbit said...

L - I meant to ask: if the Doc is stroking the picture of his bike, is he sleeping with the picture under his pillow?

REReader said...

So a good time is being had by all.... :D

Greg Lestrade said...

SH - under his pillow at the moment is a picture of the bike, the receipt, a small toy bike, a lock of my hair, the label off a jam jar and a couple of things no polite boy would mention on a public blog*


*not all these things may be true.

Greg Lestrade said...

Doc - no, you might ride about thinking you had a helmet with an expressionless newt... but everyone else would think "Who's that dude with the glum newt on his lid?" ... or, if they didn't live through the 80s, "Who's that bloke with the glum newt on his helmet?"

John H. D. Watson said...

I deny everything except the jam jar label.

REReader said...

I'm guessing the jam jar label is to give you sweet dreams... *ducks*

Sherlock said...

Jo and Lisa have got a whole darkroom and chemicals and she makes her own photos and she said I could come back and do one!

Greg Lestrade said...

What do you want to take a picture of, kiddo?

REReader said...

Okay, that is seriously cool. There are some really great things you can do with real film and a darkroom (such as accurate color) that you can't do nearly as well digitally--not to mention the magic-like-ness of seeing the picture come up!

pandabob said...

How about a picture of Rachel, her partner and the baby when get to see them Sherlock? It would be great fun for you and a wonderful present to give Rachel :-)

Glad you're all have a great day.

Anonybob

Mycroft said...

He's going to say newts...

Anon Without A Name said...

I think you might be right, Mycroft :-)

REReader said...

Newts are very photogenic. :)

(So are degus.)

Anonymous said...

Go away Mycroft I'm not because I dont have an old fashioned camera and you have to to make that sort of picture and i can use Jo's but not until next time we're out so it depends where we go

Sherlock said...

This phone is stupid I put my name on that not anonymous.

Mycroft said...

Father had one. You could ask Mummy about it.

Sherlock said...

I will I like Jo's but I don't like that you don't know if your picture worked for ages and ages and have to take all the film before you can even look by making the film into pictures you can see and then you can't know if you should have taken another one and the thing's probably gone.

REReader said...

That's why professional photographers take lots and lots of pictures of the same thing, Sherlock--only with film, that's a lot more expensive than it is with digital cameras.

Of course, with things that happen quickly--like sporting events, or birds flying--even if you know right away the picture didn't come out well, you can't take it again because the moment is gone, so film is no worse than digital for that.

Sherlock said...

I like knowing sooner though not waiting and doing all the work and then it being no good. I might try to take a picture of the degus if Jo comes to ours but they move too much probably. She said she would take a picture of John and his new bike that he could put in a heart shape frame.

REReader said...

That is a problem with film cameras. But sometimes the picture that didn't come out the way you wanted come out special in a way you didn't expect. I once was taking a picture of a whole field covered with snow with a film camera, and a beam of sun came out at exactly that second and I ended up with a picture of sun refracting through an icicle--it wasn't at all what I meant it to be, but it was very beautiful.

Maybe the degus would stay still enough if they were eating a little treat? I don't know how much degus move while eating.

(I really like what you are telling us about Jo! :))

Greg Lestrade said...

Sherlock, don't tell Mycroft to go away. Politeness on here goes for you just as much as anyone else.

Wouldn't be surprised if Jo can't take a picture of John spread out in his new bike, wearing only boxers and kissing the fuel tank. Combining newfound love of bikes with old underwear modelling career.

John H. D. Watson said...

That will never happen. And stop telling your friends friends I used to be an underwear model!

Greg Lestrade said...

I've only told my friends, not their friends...

Jo did say she'd take a pic of us - the two of us, four of us, the boys, if we wanted ever. Might be nice?

John H. D. Watson said...

That'd be lovely, yeah. Maybe with the dogs too?

Sherlock said...

AND THE DEGUS

John H. D. Watson said...

If they can be convinced to hold still.

REReader said...

Somehow I guessed that was coming... :D

Mycroft, that was really a very nice thought about your father's camera--and very generous of you to suggest it.

Greg Lestrade said...

I was really just offering to substitute myself for your bike. So to speak. You could drape yourself over me. :)

John H. D. Watson said...

In a photo or just generally?

Greg Lestrade said...

Just generally. Although I'm not as good through traffic and I'd rather you didn't leave me locked up on the street.

Speaking of, parcel arriving for you tomorrow. The cafe or Mrs H will take it if you're out. But don't expect Mrs H to cart it upstairs.

John H. D. Watson said...

What is it??

Greg Lestrade said...

Ugh. Spain 1, Italy 0.

Danger - bought you a big lock. Thought if you didn't want to drop it you wouldn't want it nicked, either.

John H. D. Watson said...

...how big is this lock if Mrs Hudson isn't meant to carry it up? Not that I'd ask her to anyway but you make it sound enormous. Also, thank you. :) I definitely don't want it nicked.

Greg Lestrade said...

Err... big. Probably weigh the same as Sherlock... after a big dinner....

Thought you could use it here, and not carry it about. And there's a disc lock to take with you. Depends where you'll park at work.

John H. D. Watson said...

All right, that's a big lock. And thank you. It was sweet of you to think of it. It hadn't occurred to me, but not much has beyond getting my hands on the bike finally.

Greg Lestrade said...

Lucky you're shagging a policeman then - first thought in my mind was how sad you;d be to lose it!

It's this one:

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/product.asp?s=s9dwi6267027&strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=73&CAT_ID=73&P_ID=129&btnProduct=More+Details

Weighs about...11 kg?

John H. D. Watson said...

Mm, I am very lucky, yes.

Greg Lestrade said...

s'pose if you'd been shagging a bike thief they'd think of it even sooner...

I think the advantage of being with a doctor right now should be you putting a cool flannel over my forehead/eyes and saving me from witnessing Italy losng to Spain...

John H. D. Watson said...

I can't say I've ever shagged a bike thief.

Better come and lie down with your head in my lap. You look like you're going to swoon.

Greg Lestrade said...

You're going to need to kiss this better, Danger :(

Small Hobbit said...

If he wasn't before I should think he will now, Doc.

Greg Lestrade said...

right... a grown man is about to cry.

John H. D. Watson said...

(I got Spider for him, but it says it's not helping.)

Greg Lestrade said...

definitely need kissing better.

John H. D. Watson said...

Is there a pre-determined number of kisses that will help, or shall I just go on until you tell me to stop?

Greg Lestrade said...

keep goin until my wounded Italian pride has healed.

It may be four more years.

I'll get you a chapstick.

John H. D. Watson said...

Fair warning - I'm stopping when my bike gets here. Sorry, love.

Greg Lestrade said...

Right...

I'll just cry into your pillow then.

Sherlock said...

You're silly it's only a stupid game and it's not even interesting and Mrs Hudson says they're overpaid thugs without any manners between them

pandabob said...

sorry you couuldn't beat the spanish but thanks again for beating the Germans :-)

Do you know when this week you get your bike John or is it wait and see?

Hope you have a nice rest of evening.

Anonybob

Greg Lestrade said...

AnonyBob - don't tell him, but the reason his GERMAN bike didn't come on Friday is because all of Germany was sulking about being beaten by us in the footy ;)

pandabob said...

you won't be getting your kisses better if he reads that ;-)

Anon Without A Name said...

Oh good lord, four-nil? I think that might need something more than just kissing better...

Sherlock - lots of people have different interests and passions. Quite often they look silly to other people, but really, being interested in football is no different than being interested in bikes, or newts, or anatomy... or anything else, really.

John H. D. Watson said...

I suppose it's a good thing my bike's not Spanish or it might suffer an unfortunate accident when it gets here...

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how many footballers Mrs Hudson has met Sherlock and I would hate to contradict her but I know some very very polite and very generous footballers who have done a lot for the world other than kick a ball about.

Sorry they lost Lestrade.

HM

Greg Lestrade said...

HM - Mrs H just gets angry with the ones who chat back to the referee. She prefers watching the rugby with John, because they behave a little better! (And wear tighter shorts, which I'm sure is why they both enjoy it).

REReader said...

Sherlock, what Nameless said is very true. And while you don't have to be interested in the things other people are interested in, it's nicer not to say bad things about them, even if it's something someone else said. (It's hard, I know, not to say what you think, but it is nicer.)

Sorry your team lost, L.

pandabob said...

Greg wouldn't hurt your bike John, even if it was Spanish, he knows its more than his lifes worth to damage your new shiny thing ;-)

sleep well Sherlock :-)

Anonymous said...

Everyone watches Rugby for the tight shorts don't they?

HM

ro said...

I bet, John, when your bike arrives you won't be like the person who parked their motorcycle right outside the front door of my work this morning.

It's rainy, windy and cold here at the moment, and despite the fact that there are a pile of empty motorcycle parking spots in the middle of the street across from my office building, they've parked their motorcycle right up under the overhanging roof outside the front door, taking up the space of four people, where everyone gathers for shelter on days like today. We can't really work out why they would do that. If you're going to ride on a day like today, you're going to get wet. So why not just park out in the open like you're supposed to?

(It's not as nice-looking as the one you're getting :))

Sorry about Italy, Lestrade. I hope John is making you forget your woes ;)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful day, except for the football part of it.

Sherlock, when I was small, my mom had a darkroom, and she could do some things with film that were pretty neat. I liked the chemicals too, and knowing how it all worked. (Sounds like you were too busy to figure out the salt today, but that's okay. Your chemistry tutor probably knows the answer.)

rsf

missy said...

I know I'm not really supposed to do this anymore so sorry to anyone who doesn't want to read this but I just wanted to say thank you John and Greg for your conversations here about what parents/guardians are called and people asking questions, thanks aswell Pandanon for not thinking me an idiot for jumping in,I no I was a bit crazy about it.

You got me thinking though and we talked and talked about it and on saturday we finally attended a family party, for the first time in years and met lots of people we've refused to see for many months, and in one case years and it was really nice to see them and reconnect and I wouldn't have done it right now but for the conversation here so I wanted to say thankyou.

Sorry everyoneelse.

Small Hobbit said...

Hey, don't apologise. I'm delighted to hear that you met family after a long time apart. The world can always use more good news.

REReader said...

That's great, missy--thank you so much for sharing!

John H. D. Watson said...

Missy - no need to apologise. I'm really, really pleased you got that chance to reconnect with your family. That's wonderful.

pandabob said...

great news missy :-)

(there are no idiots around here just people emotionally charged about different subjects)

Post a Comment