Day Nine: Two images that describe your life right now, and why.
Day Ten: One confession.
Acquiring food: I don't understand how it takes up so much time, but it does. Even with L doing most of the cooking, I sometimes feel like I live at the supermarket.
Taking care of small things: not birds specifically, but Sherlock and I found this one and put it back in its nest.
Bonus turtle: I keep seeing them now and I can't recall having seen...really any in London before. But that was before Sherlock and his endless enthusiasm for all creatures great and small. I think this is the same one that I posted a picture of before - at least it was near the same pond.
Day Ten: One confession.



67 comments:
Not that you're in anyway a nurturing kind of person :)
Lancs. Anon
How lovely for Sherlock to learn how to take care of small creatures... (And what Lancs.Anon said. :))
(And great creatures, too. How's L doing? :))
Should make a crack about you picking up birds in the park...too tired.
Lancs. Anon - wouldn't have thought I was, certainly.
RR - he's not too bad. Tired and hurting, but sleep will help a lot.
L - heh. Didn't bring her home with me at least. Don't think Sherlock didn't want to.
The acquiring food thing always gets me, how does it take so long????
I love how much you care for everything and everyone it makes me smile to know that there are such caring people in the world :-)
Anonybob
Don't know why, even your original choice of profession(s) points in that direction
Lancs. Anon
Lancs. Anon - I suppose it seems like quite a large difference, going from the Army to this far more domestic life. More personal.
Just a matter of scale really!
Lancs. Anon
Yeah, Sherlock, Mycroft, me and the menagerie are far more trouble ;)
Ha. And I can't put you all on report when you don't follow orders. That said, I can think of some people I've worked with who could've used a time out on the naughty step.
lets be honest John if as an adult you got one minute for every year of your life sat on the naughty step being ignored for being naughty we'd all be naughty at least once a day just to get a break ;-)
Yes please, sign me up for the naughty step - that would be just shy of an hour of peace and quiet every day...
I have no idea how to embed a photo here so I'll just say that the two images that describe my life right now would be
1. A bucket full of cleaning supplies - trying to get the house half way decent before my mother gets here.
and
2. A massive stack of books that represents everything I have to get read before the new terms starts in a couple of months.
Hope everyone got a good night's sleep...
Two pictures, huh?
The first is here. I don't know what it is, but I have been exhausted lately. Like yesterday, when I came home from work, took off my boots and woke up just now, 12 hours later.
And the second, which someone posted earlier, but is a pretty accurate description of me vs. the paperwork and homework that's overdue/due/coming due.
I'm feeling sort of symbolic today...
First one is storm clouds, second one is a mug of tea.
Basically, half my life - work, mostly - seems to be spent trying, not always successfully, to navigate around big storms, potentially damaging situations, unexpected lightening bolts, and general trouble and strife. Exhilarating at time, but a little more sunshine wouldn't go amiss.
And a decent mug of tea sums up for me the rest of my life. Settled and sorted, loved and in love, warm and safe and calm and all that good stuff. A decent brew is like coming home.
BTW, it's much more difficult than I thought to find a picture of a decent mug of tea online; lots of mugs of very weak, very milky tea, but very few decent strong brews.
The naughty step sounds like a good thing right now. I could fall asleep there, no problem.
rsf
DW, do you need more clues? Or shall we have pandabob start a new round?
rsf -- i know it seems like hardly anyone is playing your game, but i personally have no ideas on this one. any hints? or possibly more illustrative examples?
totally stumped.
ryo
More clues, please, rsf. I have some vague ideas, but nothing firm.
seriously RSF you want me to start a game when yours is finished? I've only sussed about three of the ones we've had I better start giving it some serious thought if you are being serious ;-)
Anonybob
Pandabob, starting a game of your own is a good way to help you think about what other people might come up with.
Ryo and DW (and everyone else),
It's a game of friar but not nun
It's a game of currant but not cranberry
rsf
rag,
It's a game of affect, but not emotion?
rsf, this one is driving me crazy!
Deer but not cow?
Hare but not rabbit?
rsf but not DW?
DW
its a game of out but not in
of Jack but not Queen
if that helps at all :-)
No, Anonybob. Not at all.
I feel incredibly not-clever right now.
It is a crazy difficult one, DW. After I read the answer on the answers post, I was glad I had because I know I never would've gotten it. I wasn't thinking even remotely along those lines.
Starbright, I have to agree. And the fact that eight year olds were throwing it at me (even with a dictionary in front of them!) didn't much help. But they've been playing the Game with me off and on since September, and they came in the other day with a plan.
DW, it's a game of Smith but not Jones.
rsf
I gave up, rsf. I just could NOT think what it could be. So I looked. And I actually had a very similar idea to the actual solution, but I picked the wrong thing so it didn't work. And I couldn't think of one that did. :(
That game was EVIL!!
ryo
Hole not pit?
Ball not hoop?
Cat not lion?
Tuesday not Wednesday?
Got it, DW! Well done!
Cranky Bookworm, I'm late, but no, it's not a game of affect.
It's a game of strap and a game of belt, but not a game of leash.
rsf
Hooray! Took me long enough!
The turtle picture just made one of my kids very happy.
Anyone want to start a new game? I have one if anyone wants to play!
John, are you OK, you're very quiet this evening, hope everyone is settling down after today's upset. Is there any reason that doesn't boil down to 'Not Mrs T.' that Sherlock doesn't like the new teacher?
Lancs. Anon
Go for it, Lancs. As long as it isn't as evil as rsf's last game. ;)
ryo
I'm happy to try Lancs.anon but I don't have a great track record :-(
OK then
It's a game of red but not yellow (aren't they all?)
a game of treat but not trick
a game of Fred but not Wilma
and because I'm feeling generous
It's a game of east and west but not North or South
Lancs. Anon
So are you Scottish then John? I never imagine you sounding Scottish.
As ever with this game Lancs.anon I'm struggling but I will give it thought :-)
By the way
It's a game of John and Greg but not Sherlock or Mycroft
Lancs. Anon
Lancs. Anon - don't know if I'm okay. Thinking too much, I suppose. And no, I don't think Sherlock's had enough to do with his new teacher to dislike her on her own account - just because she's not Mrs T.
Ttid - sort of, not really. I was born there, but we moved to London when I was very young.
I seriously hope you're not torturing yourself over day ten, no one would hold you to the damn thing! It seems to have caused a lot of upset one way or another.
I hope you can work through whatever is worrying you, John. If there's anything we can do to help you'll tell us, yeah?
And as I said over on L's blog, Shabbat shalom--hope you all can have a good and happy weekend.
thinking is always a bugger John :-( I'm sorry you're having a tough time and if there's anything that can be done to help I'll be right on it just tell me what it is :-)
I hope Sherlock has calmed down by tomorrow and you can have a great weekend :-)
Want to talk? In bed?
Yeah. Thanks. You want to rub my shoulder for a bit too?
Be more than happy to.
Sleep well guys!
Lancs. Anon
See, there's your problem, Doc. Too much thinking. As Wicked says, "Life is more painless/When you're brainless."
See if your hunky DI can't turn your brain to mush tonight. ;)
sleep well gentlemen :-)
Shoulder rubs, back rubs, and you'll be able to both do your exercises together... Ain't it a pain when the warranty runs out?
I did manage to go sailing tonight. Felt fine on the water, am aching like an achy thing now. But it was fun, and I had a sailing buddy who listened to me yatter most of the time. I think sometimes we just need an ear besides our own.
I hope Sherlock is less cranky tomorrow, and your back is feeling better, L. And John, if you post and ask us not to comment, I promise to sit on my fingers until the urge passes.
Well, except for the game. Lancs. anon, is it a game of fish but not reptiles?
rsf
RSF - glad you enjoyed sailing. Hope the aches aren't too long-lived.
We're going for a plan of distraction today, to drag the boy wonder out of his black mood. And he's seeing Mycroft tomorrow, which almost made him forget to be grumpy...
RSF, sorry, no, it's not a game of fish.
It is though a game of read but not write
Got a family thing today but I will check in when I can!
Lancs. Anon
Hope you have a great day Greg and that Sherlock finds many interesting things to tell mycroft about tomorrow :-)
Still struggling for ideas lancs anon but I'm thinking ;-)
Distractions are good. Especially with ice cream.
We're sort of at trooping the colour. Close to it, anyway. Not right in the crowds. Just close enough to hear the music and see some marching.
Sherlock is most interested in the flypast later, anyway. And food.
Hope you have a good day, guys, and that you don't get rained on. Food and a flypast, what more could you ask for?
John - hope you're feeling a bit more OK today.
Sherlock just saw the queen. Again. Practically on first name terms now, him and Liz.
There should have been more planes
I guess I have no idea what trooping the colour means as I was thinking it might be a pride thing since those have been happening around here lately. But then you mentioned the Queen and actual airplanes so I guess it's a different kind of colour.
I actually do know what trooping the colour is because I accidentally saw it when I was in England. As in, "hey, there's a parade going on, what's that?" accidentally. I wound up chatting with an older gentleman in the crowd, and he told me that you could identify which army unit was which by the number of buttons on the red uniforms (I think it was buttons -- this was a LONG time ago). I never did look it up to find out if it was true though.
And Sherlock, flyby's should always have more planes. Did you try to take a picture as they went by?
rsf
Lancs. anon, is it a game of right but not wrong?
RSF you can tell which foot guards are which by the groups of buttons on the uniform. Single buttons are Grenadier Guards pairs of buttons are Coldstream Guards, threes are Scots Guards, fours are Irish and fives Welsh and we saw some Coldstream guards walk by us but not parading just walking and we took pictures of the planes but there weren't even any old ones and I like those best and John's never worn a big hat called a bearskin even though he was a soldier and they're made of real bears and I want one.
Kholly it's when some of the army takes it in turns every year for her second not-real birthday to show the Queen their flag and march about a lot and I don't know why she likes that for her birthday I'd rather have cake
Kholly - the colour is the flag. Many, many years ago the colour/flag of the regiment was paraded in front of the troops so they knew who to follow when they went into battle.
RSF - it's not so much the number of buttons as the spacing between buttons: see http://projectbritain.com/royal/footguard.htm
Sherlock, thanks for the explanation. I'd rather have cake too. But I bet when you're the Queen you get to have your army march about and have cake as well.
Too bad John didn't get one of those hats. That would have been fun to see up close.
Which of the old planes is your favorite, Sherlock?
Sorry, DW, you might have a long wait to answer that question. He's remember how much he hates everyone now, and I think he's currently under his bed. Possibly asleep or reading. Or just hating the world.
He's already declared he won't be going back to school...
I think I might go in late on Monday...
No worries, Lestrade. I'll wait 'til Sherlock decides to rejoin society.
On an odd note, I just got canvassed by a cop, who asked me if I knew anything about the car parked at the corner. Now I'm insanely curious about that car!
Thank you Sherlock, for answering my question. I hope by the time you read this you'll have decided that under the bed is boring, and can tell me if John has a uniform with a red coat, even if he doesn't have a bearskin hat.
And thank you for the website, SH. That's what I meant, only I didn't phrase it very well.
rsf
RSF
'fraid it's not a game of right or wrong for that matter. It is however a game of cards but not dice.
Lancs. Anon
Post a Comment