Monday, January 3, 2011

the party

I never did get back to the computer yesterday. The smoke was more of an aquamarine this time, and it smelled of gardenias. Rather nice, really.

Anyhow, the party: we were all there but for Harry, watching the ham cook, by 6pm. Harry got there about an hour later with, get this, a bottle of non-alcoholic sparkling grape juice. Lestrade was impressed as well.

"I'm trying to quit smoking and all, but I don't torture myself with candy cigarettes," he said.

Harry made a face I remember quite well from childhood as meaning mum hadn't let her do something stupid like eat an entire bottle of olives or ride her bike all the way to her friend's house across town. I guess she has to be her own mum now. That's got to be hard. [Harder than it is for you?] (...Mycroft. You can't ask me these things in person?) [This is easier.]

...All right. Yes, harder than it is for me. I wasn't a jumping off bridges, eating entire bottles of anything sort of child. I don't drink myself slowly into an early grave, or suck on cancer sticks, or shoot up, or gamble, or drive irresponsibly. I sign up for a year's tour of one of the world's hottest vacation hotspots, complete with sand in my eyes, blood up to my elbows, and a whole variety of chaps who want to kill me. What I mean is that the sort of things I do are not the sort mum ever could've kept me from.

Anyhow, the party: it was pretty excellent, actually. Good food, movies, fireworks on the telly at midnight. Oh, and Their Mum sent us a little video of the fireworks where she is. Red Square, in the snow (note to self: check this isn't compromising national security or something before you post it) <As if I'd allow you to post it if it were.> (...Right. Is anyone not reading my blog before I post it? Is there actually any point in hitting that Publish Post button?) ANYWAY.

I can't figure out how to upload her movie, but it looked a lot like this.


The boys were asleep by midnight, so there was only Harry to make faces when Lestrade snogged me. Due to poor timing and circumstances beyond my control, I've never actually been seeing someone at midnight on the new year before. It was quite nice.

1 comment:

Lestrade said...

Cancer sticks? Only righteous former smokers and pricks call them that, and I know you're not a prick so is there something you want to share?

Post a Comment