See subject line for summary of last night.
However, I do think it must induce some sort of alternate state of consciousness. I do feel more rested than if I'd stayed up reading or even watching old movies (4am is not the hour of the wolf; it's the hour of Bogart, Bacall, and Audrey Hepburn). Watching the ball fly back and forth and listening to nonsensical scores announced in rather lovely French accents (all the umpires sound French to me, even the ones specifically pointed out as being Swedish or Spanish) probably leads one into some sort of deep meditative state normally only achieved through years of study and isolation in a Buddhist monastery.
The most exciting thing (by tennis standards) that happened last night was Soderling (who is Swedish and sounds it) being beaten by a young Russian man who honestly looks like he should be playing for the WTA:
However, I do think it must induce some sort of alternate state of consciousness. I do feel more rested than if I'd stayed up reading or even watching old movies (4am is not the hour of the wolf; it's the hour of Bogart, Bacall, and Audrey Hepburn). Watching the ball fly back and forth and listening to nonsensical scores announced in rather lovely French accents (all the umpires sound French to me, even the ones specifically pointed out as being Swedish or Spanish) probably leads one into some sort of deep meditative state normally only achieved through years of study and isolation in a Buddhist monastery.
The most exciting thing (by tennis standards) that happened last night was Soderling (who is Swedish and sounds it) being beaten by a young Russian man who honestly looks like he should be playing for the WTA:
![]() |
| Alexander Dolgopolov |
The match went to five sets, which means it lasted about seventeen hours. I saw most of it, though I came in late. Sherlock came down near the end of the fourth set, and I was too, er, meditative, to shepherd him back to bed. Both of us dropped off in the middle of Andy Murray's match, which was no great loss in my opinion. A) He was clearly going to win, and B) the man opens his mouth so wide when he shouts that you can see his tonsils, and I'd prefer not to.
Sherlock likes him, though, or at least likes his tennis. The subject of tennis lessons has been introduced, and not by me for a miracle. I think he mostly wants to keep up with Mycroft, who will likely be getting skating lessons starting in a few weeks if he still likes it.
Meanwhile, I've got to stop this cycle of sleeplessness and tennis and sofa-napping. It's bad enough for me, but it's setting a terrible example for Sherlock and it leaves Mycroft feeling left out just because he's the only one of us who can sleep like a normal person. More excursions during the day, I think. Healthful exercise, culture and so on. Warm Lestrade milk at bedtime.

6 comments:
Suits me fine...
Wait until Sherlock sees Rafa play!
Oh, good, it wasn't just me making the mistake! I kept seeing Dolgopolov out of the corner of my eye and wondering when the coverage went back to a women's match. I think he's Ukrainian, by the way.
Seriously?! Seventeen hours? I guess there's one reason why I never got into tennis...
Sleep schedules are indeed tricky things to fix, especially when you're not tired when you should be sleeping. Good luck.
Anon #1 - Sherlock's not all that keen on Rafa, oddly. I think the grunting puts him off.
Anon #2 - Oh, I think you're right, sorry. And yes, something about the boy's bone structure. And, well, the long hair and the headband. He's quite young yet though, and to be fair he was even younger in the photo I used.
Trista - All right, not seventeen actual hours. (At least not usually: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isner%E2%80%93Mahut_match_at_the_2010_Wimbledon_Championships)
Yes, that's the thing. Of course, I'm more than tired enough in the morning to make up for it. I'm actually starting to pay attention to the tennis too, and it's not helping. I think I may understand the scoring system. Worrying.
♥
Post a Comment