That was yesterday. I called Sainsbury's this morning to see what to do about it, and they said, basically, mistakes happen and no one's rung to find out what happened to their fifty pounds of spinach, so it's mine. "Please accept it with our compliments to make up for the inconvenience." I'm not sure what inconvenience that would be. All I did was open the door and get mildly confused by produce.
Of course, now I've got the stuff, the inconvenience really sets in. Thanks to my gran, my mum, and the Army (in that order) I'm constitutionally incapable of wasting food. And Mrs H doesn't like spinach. She says it coats her teeth with fur. I don't think fur is the correct technical term, but I do know what she means.
So what do I do with fifty pounds** of spinach? Suggestions welcome.
*Disclaimer: The author of this post may occasionally be seen eating spinach, but he's not a bloody anchor wanker.
**Note: not actually 50 pounds, more like two, but two pounds of spinach is more than enough.
5 comments:
Dear John,
You might try Palak paneer. I just found out yesterday that to make the paneer-cheese, you only need milk, a lemon and some cloth (at least according to the internet), and now I'm really excited to try that, since I never knew that home-made cheese is even do-able for otherwise busy and kitchen-challenged people like me. You'd need to buy some milk, but that's also useful for tea, so I'm thinking you can't go wrong there.
Love, a random lurker
Oh, that does sound good! I love Indian food and I'm relatively certain the boys will eat it. Not sure I'm up to making my own cheese (for skill level, think "reheating pizza" rather than "creating my own dairy products"), but there's probably a shop that sells it around here. I'd be fascinated to know how the cheese making goes for you.
As someone who's watched her mom make paneer a lot, I can say that I remember the process being much more complicated than that - and my mom is the sort of ruthlessly efficient sort who would have sniffed out the easiest way to do it, too, without worrying about how her mom would have done it back in Bombay. (No offense meant to the random lurker above from this random lurker.)
I actually love spinach, and have been caramelizing onions (meaning, sauteing them in a tiny bit of olive oil and letting them go past clear and soft to honey-colored and densely aromatic, which takes about twenty to thirty minutes) and then dumping in some salt, pepper, and pounds of fresh spinach. Quick and easy vegetable to eat with lentils, rice, or pasta. Great as a leftover, too.
You are the greatest nanny in the world! (To end things on a non-spinach-related note.)
You're very kind, and ANYTHING on a non-spinach-related note is welcome at this point. You should see the size of the spinach salad I had for dinner. Your description of the caramelized onions is quite poetic and sounds...perhaps manageable. I shall work on it for tomorrow.
Hi, second lurker! No offence taken, your suggestion sounds easy and delicious. I'll try the cheese-making anyway, since after contentedly rotating about 5 dishes with slight variations for my first 10 years of cooking, I recently started branching out, and I'm now a bit over-excited about the possibilities. But I shouldn't have suggested it as an easy staple dish without actually knowing the first thing about it. So I'm glad you chimed in!
Post a Comment