It's apparently National Cupcake Week, by the way. Just so you know.
Lestrade has been unreachable all day, which I hope means some movement on the case and not that he's been eaten by enormous slavering Italian hounds.
He and Sherlock were discussing truffles last night on the phone. Sherlock was confused at the thought that one found truffles underground with the aid of dogs. He was thinking of the chocolate sort of course, and has not quite yet fully grasped that in addition to being delicious chocolate blobs (filled with ganache, his new favorite word), they are also a form of rather smelly fungus. He has many questions. I do not have many answers.
He also thinks the dogs of war should be trained in truffle hunting, as this would keep us all in ice cream money for the foreseeable future.
In Mycroft news, he says to tell you all he's doing 'all right'. I'm hoping for a slightly fuller report at the weekend.
Lestrade has been unreachable all day, which I hope means some movement on the case and not that he's been eaten by enormous slavering Italian hounds.
He and Sherlock were discussing truffles last night on the phone. Sherlock was confused at the thought that one found truffles underground with the aid of dogs. He was thinking of the chocolate sort of course, and has not quite yet fully grasped that in addition to being delicious chocolate blobs (filled with ganache, his new favorite word), they are also a form of rather smelly fungus. He has many questions. I do not have many answers.
He also thinks the dogs of war should be trained in truffle hunting, as this would keep us all in ice cream money for the foreseeable future.
In Mycroft news, he says to tell you all he's doing 'all right'. I'm hoping for a slightly fuller report at the weekend.
17 comments:
He also thinks the dogs of war should be trained in truffle hunting, as this would keep us all in ice cream money for the foreseeable future.
You know, that's not a bad business plan.
...the dogs of war should be trained in truffle hunting, as this would keep us all in ice cream money for hte foreseeable future.
The only question I have about this business plan is: do truffles grow in London?
-A from NW
It would fit in nicely with his desire to move to Dorset and live in a tent.
They could find the chocolate sort and bring them back to us. I wouldn't mind that. And some of them are expensive too. And they smell nice. John said truffles like Lestrade was talking about smell horrible. I think I'd rather have the chocolate ones. When Lestrade calls I'm going to ask him to bring some back.
Chocolate is bad for dogs though Sherlock, so you'd have to be sure to train them to find them but not eat them.
They definitely couldn't eat them! I want them!
But you can train dogs not to eat things when you shoot, so the dogs just bring the dead things back, so I think you could do the same for truffles.
It would be difficult for a dog to retrieve chocolate but not eat it, I think, Sherlock. Plus, dogs carry stuff in their mouths, and you might not want the truffles once the dogs have slobbered all over them. Perhaps you could train the dogs as pointers, so that they hunt out and lead you to the chocolate truffles, but don't try to bring them to you?
John, I hope that Mycroft's "all right" is him being his usual understated self and that he's enjoying school. And I hope that you've had a chance to speak to Lestrade this evening, and that he's OK too.
I think Lestrade needs to come home so he can take Mycroft out for a run on the bike. It will soothe any woes and if there aren't any, it will make his day!
You know, I didn't realize that there was the smelly kind of truffle until I was in my 20s. I'm very thankful I still have yet to encounter one of the smelly kind.
Sherlock, I think it may be hard to train the dogs not to eat the truffles, as someone said above they would have to carry them in their mouths. I think the idea of having them point to the chocolate kind is a great idea, though. It could be like a treasure hunt, where you get to eat the prize at the end.
John, I hope you're doing all right, and got to talk to Lestrade tonight.
I think I prefer chocolate truffles to the smelly kind, too. I hope you find, or manage to acquire, lots of truffles soon, Sherlock. But not too many - sometimes if you eat too much of something you like, you'll get tired of it. I did that with chocolate once when I was small, and didn't eat any more for almost a year.
Hope you're home soon, L, and best wishes John for a low-stress time until he is. I know its hard to be on your own (been there, done that), but just keep in mind how uh, satisfying things will be after a bit of an absence. Bright sides, you know.
John, I hope you're doing all right, and got to talk to Lestrade tonight.
More or less all right, but I still can't reach him. I assume I would've got a call if anything happened. I hope.
More or less all right, but I still can't reach him. I assume I would've got a call if anything happened. I hope. Ugh, that sounds nerve-racking. John, I hope you're sleeping okay, whenever you can bring yourself to lie down and take a rest.
Mycroft, we want to hear all about school - please spill!
Sherlock, I've never gotten to the sick-of-chocolate stage myself, but I remember the feeling of horror that swept over me when I found out that one of my classmates was allergic to chocolate and had never had even a bite of it that he could remember. Terrible, isn't it?
p.s. Ep 2x03 ("Bad Habits") of Pushing Daisies is a romp that features truffles (the smelly kind) and is one of the funniest episodes of television I've ever seen. Plus bonus adorable truffle-hunting pig! Highly recommended.
Sherlock: Truffle oil (from the smelly kind of truffle) is wonderful to cook in. It's also very expensive! Even though they're stinky, they are very flavourful and you only need a very little in a dish to make the flavour known. My uncle waxes rhapsodic about truffles every once and a while.
Mostly I just stick to the chocolate kind too! Though if I eat too much chocolate my tummy gets really upset with me. Sadness! So I enjoy them once and a while, which makes them taste better anyway.
John: hope everything is calming down around the house. I hope it stays that way too. Thumbs are currently being held for Greg's swift return! Also, who are you rooting for for the Rugby World Cup?
John - I hope you managed to get some sleep last night. I know what it's like to say that you'd hear if anything was wrong, but then if you're like me you continue to worry anyway. And I don't suppose Sherlock demanding to know what's happening will help at all.
So, morning hugs to you all (including Mycroft, virtual hugs aren't that embarrassing).
John, I'm sure you're right, and Lestrade has been out of phone coverage quite a bit.
But please do let us know when you hear from him.
Also, seconding everything Small Hobbit said, including the hugs.
(The captcha said "chstraw", which I think is a sign that you and Sherlock should try baking cheese straws after school today...)
I do hope you've just been too busy with Sherlock to tell us you've heard from Lestrade, John?
Still no word. I'm trying not to imagine...anything.
We're making cheese straws. Sort of. Cheese bendy straws.
Post a Comment