Tuesday, September 6, 2011

family portrait

Hello. It's Mycroft again. I wanted to say thank you to everyone who's been leaving comments wishing me well. It's really very kind of you all. I'm going to read them again when I get to school. I don't know how anyone went off to school without computers and email and Skype; it must've been dreadful.

Here is the picture Sherlock drew for me, or at least drew and eventually decided to give me. He got really angry that he didn't have the right colour pencils for anyone's skin, or for John's jumper, or Mummy's hair. But I think it looks like us anyway.


Thank you, Sherlock. I like it a lot, and it's better than a photograph because Anthea won't let us take pictures of her, and the dogs won't hold still.

I'm going to try to sleep now. 

60 comments:

Becca said...

Mycroft, chiming in to wish you the very best. It's never easy doing this kind of thing, but it usually works out better than you expect. The first time I left home I had to communicate via letters, and I always felt very awkward writing them. It's amazing all the options we have today.

Sherlock, I love your drawing, particularly the detail of Anthea holding a gun, which made me smile despite my own bad day.

It must be very frustrating when you know what color you want to use but it's not there. Some artists custom-make their colors for this very reason! I don't know if you can do it with colored pencils, but you can with crayons and paints, which might be a fun project to do with John and Lestrade.

Bronwyn said...

I'm not going to wish you luck, Mycroft, because you shan't need it. But do enjoy yourself. And I hope you cope with the distance from your brother better than I did. My youngest brother is nine years younger than I am and I thought him such a pest when I went off to university. Shortly thereafter, I found myself sneaking the little weasel into the dorms overnight to visit. The girl's dorms. Try explaining that to the dorm advisor. Luckily, my parents were very patient with us and would drive up to see me about once a month. And I know I ran up a heck of a phone bill.

And to offer hope, twelve years later, he's in college now and he still calls me a couple of times a month to come visit. Sometimes, absence doesn't just make the heart grow fonder, it teaches us how to get along better, because you're so glad to see someone the squabbling isn't worth the time wasted.

Do well and be content,
Bronwyn

P.S. To everyone who was involved in the discussion, thanks ever so. My tablet now autocorrects to Bronwynies.

ro said...

Mycroft, your tummy must be playing host to whole colonies of butterflies! Scary and exciting at the same time. I hope you have a great time at Harrow. I'm sure you'll make some great friends, and you'll certainly learn a lot. Best wishes to you!

Sherlock, that is a fantastic picture. You're a good-looking bunch, aren't you? I like Lestrade in his shorts and thongs. I also like your wings, and Anthea's gun. The dogs are especially well-drawn. Mycroft is lucky to have the picture to take with him - I bet he looks at it a lot while he's a way. I know you're going to miss him heaps (and the reverse will be true), but as others have said, you've got Skype, and email, and you'll visit with each other often.

innie said...

That picture should cheer you any time you need it! I particularly love Sherlock's hair and wings and Lestrade's sandals and kneecaps (my best friend's younger brother always used to emphasize people's kneecaps in his drawings, too - as well as giving himself a rather massive penis). John's eyes must be very blue indeed for them to be so vivid even in this small drawing. And your mum looks a bit like Scully, whom I've been picturing every time she's mentioned.

Though my favorite is you, Mycroft, with your motorcycle jacket and your beloved dogs in a heraldic pose. You are as brave and wonderful as pictured.

Anonymous said...

Mycroft, I know you're probably really nervous about tomorrow, but I think you'll find once you actually take that first step, it will get easier. What an adventure you're going to have!

Sherlock, that's a lovely picture! I'm sure Mycroft will treasure it. Just remember, even though your brother is going to be further away than you're used to, he's only a phone call, email, or Skype away.

lawless said...

Best of everything! That's a wonderful drawing that I'm sure you'll cherish. You have a lot of communication options at your fingertips and people rooting for you and wishing you well.

Lupe said...

Aww, that drawing is awesome. :D I love it! Especially Lestrade with his flip flops and you (Mycroft) with your awesome jacket. :) Sherlock's got a good eye for details. :D

And I'd like to wish you luck in school, though I don't think you'll need it. You're an incredibly bright boy, and very perceptive. I'm sure you'll get along fine. :D I hope you enjoy it! I hope you make the most of it and learn lots. Not just strictly academic matters, but from your experiences and your observations.

Schools exist in a sort of... special space, you know? In them, there are several "forces" at work (this sounds like a crappy esoteric metaphor, but it's Sociology xD), like the State and the education it's decided to give to the citizens, and the interests of the families of the kids that are to be educated in that school, and the 'ideology' of the school and its teachers. It's a space where kids can be, in a way, protected from the rest of the world so they can grow in many ways. I hope you enjoy the process! And since you're such an intelligent boy, I don't think I could advise you stuff like "Pay attention to your teachers to learn your lessons!" but something more like, "Pay attention to your teachers so you know why they're teaching you what they're teaching you." ;)

*hugs*

Greg Lestrade said...

Damn, we're a fine looking bunch. Ha.

(yes, everyone, it is my day off, and yes, I was up before 6 - because Sherlock suddenly decided that Mycroft couldn't go to school without taking some biscuits with him - just like Sherlock took some in not long after he started school. So Danger is sleeping, we're baking...)

I'm hoping this at least shows some measure of acceptance that Mycroft IS going to school.

Anonymous said...

I'm seconding what Lupe said. I know you're much brighter than your age would suggest, Mycroft. You might find that the ways in which things are taught, especially the Humanities subjects (my area) in my experience, reveal a lot more about the cultures that are interpreting them than about any kind of objective reality. History can be seen from as many angles as there are people who experienced the events and people who look back at them and many of those angles are as true as any of the others, even when they may seem contradictory. Literature that made a certain point in the culture in which it was written may offer a completely different message in another place or time, even when the text remains the same. Languages are political, extremely so. (For an example, you might try learning Irish or Ainu as an English person.)

There's a lot to be learned, not only in the lessons themselves or the social environment, though those are both very valuable. The ways that not only people, but groups, societies, and cultures work are a fascinating study.

That's a lovely picture, Sherlock. Perhaps you could get a pencil set with more colors for your birthday.

Good morning, Detective Inspector. It's just about my bedtime here.

Anonymous said...

Good morning Greg! Good morning Sherlock! What kind of biscuits are you making? Greg, maybe you can catch a nap later this afternoon? I think Sherlock wanting to bake for his brother and drawing such a wonderful picture for Mycroft bodes quite well!

Mycroft, I look forward to hearing all about the friends you've made! School may be hard at times, but you'll always have your family right near you and us here on the internet wishing you well. I know you'll do just fine academically, so here's wishing you lots and lots of fun! <3

Anonymous said...

That was me, Tink! Silly phone!

Greg Lestrade said...

Tink - we're baking chocolate chip biscuits.

And the chances of me getting a nap are a bit lower than zero. But I don't mind. It's more being wrenched from a very warm Danger in bed that's the hardship! But he had a hard day yesterday, and will doubtless have another today, so he needs the rest.

Trills said...

Thinking of you today Mycroft! Hope you have lots of fun, make lots of friends (and contacts *taps nose in meaningful manner*) and learn far more than most of us could concieve in our lifetimes. But I think the fun bit might be the most important.

Sherlock - That's a very nice picture and well done you for thinking to bake Mycroft some cookies. I'm sure he'll appreciate them and they'll be a great ice breaker when he gets to Harrow.

Mycroft, if I could hug you I would so I'm going to addd another hope, that you get lots of hugs from John, Lestrade and even Sherlock before you go. And also that you'll keep in contact with us.

Now excuse me, I think I'm actually getting a bit emotional...

Anon Without A Name said...

Mycroft - I hope you find the Harrow is everything you're hoping for; I'm sure that you will find it fascinating. I'm quite envious of all of the different forms of communications that you'll have available to you, I'm sure John, Lestrade and even Sherlock are looking forward to being able to chat with you frequently (and it hardly needs saying, but I'm sure all of us here would love to hear from you sometimes).

You might even find that occasionally you'll want to sit down and write a letter (the need to think about each word before writing makes it a quite different experience than typing up an email).

That's a lovely picture, I'm very glad you've got it to take with you. And biscuits, too!

Sherlock - I love the attention to detail in your picture. I keep seeing new details, like Lestrade's flip flops, or Anthea's gun, Mycroft's jacket and your wings. I'm very impressed at the dogs forming a guard of honour. And such a thoughtful idea to bake biscuits for Mycroft too (don't eat them all before he has any!)

Elizabeth said...

Sherlock - Love the wings. Is Mycroft wearing his motorcycle jacket? And it's so sweet of you to bake cookies... As an older sister who had to leave for school, I can say that cookies make things easier.

Anonymous said...

Greg: Oh I understand that... Maybe snuggles later if you can't nap? How are you and John dealing with Mycroft heading off to school and everything?

Trills: I hear you on the whole getting emotional thing. It's like our collective nephew is growing up and all the associated complicated emotions that come with that!

-Tink

Greg Lestrade said...

Tink - not sure it's really sunk in yet that tonight the flat will be empty of Mycroft and dogs. It will be odd.

And Sherlock's good behaviour didn't last. He's okay when distracted...then goes into meltdown at random. Like when told today is not the day to begin a complex chemistry experiment.

Anonymous said...

*hugs*

I'm sorry that it didn't last... Hopefully in a couple days he'll settle down. Big changes are scary for everyone, not that I think he'd admit to being scared...

-Tink

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah. Definitely not admitting that. Currently going through a phase of pretending not to care at all, calling everything stupid and just being very unco operative.

Got to feel for him, poor kid. He's had Mycroft around him all his life. Still, I hope you're right and he calms down a bit once today is over. Think we might have our work cut out for us though.

Tink said...

I think tomorrow might settle him down a bit. Going back to school might give him enough of a distraction. Make sure that he gets the 'do not run off' chat again though. Being scared makes you do irrational things sometimes...

Will there be a pond? Or has that not happened yet? I know he was really looking forward to that!

(Also, has he figured out that him acting up like that is probably stressing Mycroft out?)

P.S. Greg: Give John a hug for me (and you!)
P.P.S. John: Give Greg a hug for me (and you!)

Greg Lestrade said...

Our woes are being added to by downpour of biblical proportions. Meaning Sherlock can't run off his energy outside whilst Mycroft gets settled... this isn't much fun.

Still, lovely school, all the boys seem nice, and Mycroft and his room mate have already chosen who gets which of their beds/desks/shelves in their rooms.

John H. D. Watson said...

Maybe somewhere warm with tea and cakes rather than ice cream later.

And Mycroft has his computer online now which I think goes a long way toward making him feel more settled in.

Greg Lestrade said...

Definitely.

When I moved into new places when I first got to London I always plugged in my record player first, got some tunes on to work to. Made it feel more like home.

John H. D. Watson said...

Did you live alone or did you always share with people?

Greg Lestrade said...

If I could, I got bed sits on my own. Lots of them were very grim. My own room, shared bathroom, kitchen etc.

Sometimes lodged with people. I got lonely, despite wanting to get away from living in a packed house, it was odd, being alone. Hence always having music on.

John H. D. Watson said...

If they were anything like the bedsit I had after Afghanistan I'm not surprised. Not the most cheerful place in the world.

Greg Lestrade said...

They mainly consisted if odd stains, 70s decor and mould. Lots of mould.

And the occasional angry landlord after the rent I'd failed to pay. Still, almost always had a roof over my head, so...can't complain too much.

Greg Lestrade said...

Offered to shake Mycroft's hand when we left...he held his arms out for a hug. He's never done that before. Brought a lump to my throat. I had to give Danger a hug after, to collect myself.

And...so much for a full day off. Got a call from the yard. Super wants me in 'for a quick chat'. Somehow doubt it's to tell me I'm getting a commendation...

John H. D. Watson said...

Maybe he wants to talk to you about your haircut again.

Sherlock said...

YOU SAID YOU WEREN'T GOING BACK TO WORK AFTER WE TOOK MYCROFT TO SCHOOL. YOU PROMISED.

John H. D. Watson said...

He hasn't got a choice, Sherlock. Either you need to calm yourself down or hand over that phone. I won't have you posting online in this mood.

Greg Lestrade said...

Hey, my hair's fine! (Isn't it? Maybe could do with a trim...) no, must be important if it's keeping him from his dinner. Not often he stays late.

Sherlock, I won't be long. Calm down. Decide what you'd like for dinner. Maybe you could help John think of something just the three of us could do at the weekend. We could go somewhere, or bake something we've never tried before, maybe.

Sherlock said...

Why can't you stay at home like John? Then we could do things all the time. I could have tutors like Mycroft and not go to school and it would be good.

John H. D. Watson said...

It's completely fine, just hoping it's something that inconsequential.

Maybe the Science Museum this weekend? Or Sherlock was talking a few days ago about some massive cake in rainbow colors.

Greg Lestrade said...

Sherlock, I saw Molly yesterday. She said maybe you'd like to go and visit her one day, and see where she does autopsies. See, if I didn't do my job, I wouldn't know her and she wouldn't be able to offer you chances like that.

Danger - yeah. I thought my hair was looking particularly fine in Sherlock's portrait...

Either or even both of those options sound good to me. Although we might go mad on food colouring from the sound of the cake.

John H. D. Watson said...

It has about 18 separately coloured layers. I'm sure you two will have fun with that. :)

Sherlock said...

It's NOT 18, it's only seven like rainbows! And you were a doctor and Molly's a doctor so you could have met her anyway and then Lestrade could stay home with us all the time. I don't think I should go to school tomorrow.

John H. D. Watson said...

Oh really. Why's that?

Sherlock said...

I'm definitely sick and also Lestrade should stay home to make up for going in to work when he said he wouldn't and then it will be not raining and we can go to the park and get ice cream like we were supposed to.

John H. D. Watson said...

Sorry, kid. Not happening. If it's not raining, we can go to the park after school though. Come on, put the phone down, and let's think about dinner.

Sherlock said...

Wait! Thank you to everyone who said nice things about my drawing and I have a LOT of coloured pencils but they still don't have all the colours and usually I can use two colours over each other but people are REALLY HARD TO DRAW and there weren't any colours that were even close and also, Innie John's eyes aren't right but they are blue but I need better pencils.

Greg Lestrade said...

Danger.

You want the... slightly less bad news? Or ...just the bad news...

John H. D. Watson said...

Bad news first, slightly less bad news after.

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm being sent away on another case.

The slightly less bad news is that it's not until tomorrow. Which...doesn't really sound much less bad, now I've written it.

John H. D. Watson said...

No, that's definitely less bad. It's too late to be rushing off somewhere and you haven't even had dinner. Where are you going?

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm really really sorry though. I know this is...just about the worst timing ever. And honestly, I begged him to send someone else. Practically on my knees. But...

Italy.

And guess how many people in the SCC speak Italian.

I'm sorry.

John H. D. Watson said...

Why Italy? And for how long, do you know?

It's all right, it's not your fault.

Greg Lestrade said...

The case...our prime suspect, he's...he killed his ex wife and her little boy and has gone on the run with their daughter, and they've tracked him as far as Rome and...well, Europol have got all the information and they want us to work together.

I don't know how long for. They don't even know where he went to after he left the airport.

John H. D. Watson said...

God. He sounds like a real winner. Do they know if the little girl's all right? Well, you probably can't say on here anyway. What a bastard. I hope you find him.

Greg Lestrade said...

Well, she seems fine on the CCTV from the airport in Rome. That's the last certain sighting. Just got to hope that if he's taken her that far he doesn't intend to harm her.

Have I got enough clean clothes to pack? And...has Sherlock read this yet? Or...I can leave now and maybe we should tell him together? I don't know.

John H. D. Watson said...

You should leave now and I'll tell him. Maybe he'll have calmed down a bit before you get here.

Clothes... I think you've got enough, depends how long you're there, but at least in Rome they'll have drycleaning.

Greg Lestrade said...

Right. I just need to gather a few things, then I'll be on my way.

I doubt I'll be in Rome long. I wouldn't stay there. If I were him I'd head out to the countryside. Fewer people, no CCTV, not many police.

I really don't want to go.

John H. D. Watson said...

I know, love. I don't want you to go either.

John H. D. Watson said...

Sherlock shares your opinion, unsurprisingly. Sorry, I think getting him calmed down before you get here may not happen.

Kholly said...

The hug from mycroft brought a lump to my throat as well. I was so worried when my brother's boys hit their teenage years that they would stop hugging me. And so thrilled when they didn't, even when their friends were around.

So Mycroft never stop hugging the people you love, especially if you can tell they really want you to. It will mean so much. Hope you're settling in ok. Give us another guest post in a week or so to tell us all about it. As I've just written to my youngest nephew who went away for the first time (to uni) a week ago: fun? Exciting? Overwhelming? Homesick? How's classes? The dorm? The food? Life without anyone looking over your shoulder?

Lupe said...

Oh, crap. :/ Good luck with Sherlock. I hope he doesn't feel too sad, or that he learns to deal with it a bit better. :( And good luck with the case, Lestrade! Catch the bad guy! :)

Greg Lestrade said...

right...safe for me to enter?

I just want to hug you and never let go right now.

John H. D. Watson said...

Sounds nice.

Yeah, he's wound down a little. More sniffly than shrieky now.

Kholly said...

Sherlock, as awful as it is that lestrade is getting sent away for work, remember that it's as awful for him as it is for you. Maybe even worse as you'll still have John and he'll be alone.

That was a lovely drawing especially with the limitations you had with the pencils.

Small Hobbit said...

Guys, I just want to hug you both, that's really rotten news.

And Sherlock, it's rotten for you too. Just when you think of something nice to do and it all goes wrong. I'm sorry. I think it's a brilliant drawing too and I'm very glad we were all able to see it.

Post a Comment