Thursday, September 29, 2011

uncharted

Dramatic clouds that have nothing to do with this post: 


Sherlock's been amazingly reasonable about not getting degus for his birthday, after the initial shock. I think Mrs T had a talk with him, which made it a lot easier for me to have a talk with him, about why we're a bit concerned he might end up treating his degus like he treats his colored pencils.

Of course he said he wouldn't, and that he'd take care of them and clean their cage and all, and I have no doubt he means it, just like every child who wants a puppy really means it when they say they'll walk it every day, 'yes, I swear, even if it's raining or really hot out or my favourite programme is on!' My parents didn't really buy it from Harry, but she got the dog anyway.

Last night we did a chart of chores he'd to do without being reminded. One of them is walking Mrs Turner's dog. I'll have to go with him for that one, of course, but it's his job to remind me. We'll see how it goes. 

119 comments:

Greg Lestrade said...

Can I make it your chore to walk me? Or take me for a run, anyway?

John H. D. Watson said...

Heh. Am I supposed to remember even when you wish I'd forget?

Greg Lestrade said...

Probably. I'm getting a belly. Too much desk work, too much cake, not enough exercise. Of course, not all exercise needs to be running...

Greg Lestrade said...

Just going to put Shortstuff to bed. Debating if 'Jack The Stripper' is too adult a case, even given his newfound knowledge...

John H. D. Watson said...

True. You can get exercise in almost anywhere if you work at it.

Greg Lestrade said...

Danger...help. medical assistance reqd

like..ice or a lot of painkillrs and healing hands

am on floor of Sherlock's room

John H. D. Watson said...

What the hell happened? And next time just shout, I might not have checked my phone for ages!

Greg Lestrade said...

couldn't shout. high pitch sqeak at most

Sherlock re-enacting murder. his knee impacted very hard with my bollocks.

i really need to swear a lot right now

John H. D. Watson said...

...ow.

Greg Lestrade said...

it wasnt his fault. he's very apologetic.

lucky i wasn't looking to procreate

let me crawl onto the landing so i can let loose all profanities needed for healing purposes

John H. D. Watson said...

Right. I'll get him settled and be with you in a second.

Greg Lestrade said...

expect this at work, not at home...

Why does it hurt so bloody much?? whoever designed bollocks clearly never thought about it much

John H. D. Watson said...

I think some species keep them inside the body. Sometimes seems like they had the right idea.

Greg Lestrade said...

definitely.

jesus.

and why does it make your abdomen hurt??

Lupe said...

OMG. I'm sorry, Lestrade. >o<

Greg Lestrade said...

Lupe - think it's a hazard of the job? Sherlock's come close before...usually when we're in bed though.

that'll teach me to try to explan murder methods at bedtiem.

John H. D. Watson said...

Do you want anything else? Possibly a drink?

Greg Lestrade said...

mmm, drink for medicinal purposes. good idea doc

John H. D. Watson said...

Coming right up. I hope this will teach Sherlock to be a bit more careful in the future.

Ria said...

Ouch! I hope that stiff drink helps.

Any comments I have about kissing things better will be restrained for the sake of good taste.

Greg Lestrade said...

he really was apologetic. And it was partly my fault for agreeing to re-enact a murder.

Ria - probably shouldn't mention stiff things either, if we're going for good taste.

Danger - I'm sure I'll be back in working order for our holiday. Hopefully.

John H. D. Watson said...

New rule: no acting out murders at bedtime.

Greg Lestrade said...

yes sir, okay sir, we won't do it again sir.

Come and have a (Carefully positioned) cuddle?

John H. D. Watson said...

Yes, of course.

Greg Lestrade said...

i'm lucky you're a doctor

John H. D. Watson said...

Heh. And to think Mrs H thought Sherlock would be the one who needed my medical skills...

Rider said...

Right now I'd have thought a stiff thing was out of the question....

Greg Lestrade said...

I need all your skills.

Might be time to limp to bed. And not think about riding my bike tomorrow...hope there aren't any pot holes between here and the Yard.

Anonymous said...

No offers to "kiss it better", John? :)

Greg Lestrade said...

given that most of you - I think? won't ever have the opportunity to experience what I just have, here's a link:

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/healthy/symptoms-treatment/kicked-in-the-balls-55787

John H. D. Watson said...

pot holes

I honestly read that as hot poles. About three times before I saw what it actually said. I was pretty confused.

Greg Lestrade said...

I don't want to encounter any hot poles either, thanks.

Anyway, I shall say gods Bugger and go and dream if ice packs and pain relief. Coming, Danger?

Greg Lestrade said...

...I don't even know what this phone is possessed with.

Good night.

No gods. Especially not buggering ones.

John H. D. Watson said...

Gods bugger... Could you perhaps mean good night?

John H. D. Watson said...

Ha.

John H. D. Watson said...

Yes, I will come, but only if you promise there will be no buggering gods involved.

Greg Lestrade said...

I did mean that.

Do you wake up in the night and reprogramme my phone?

Greg Lestrade said...

I imagine if their were buggering gods you might well come too...

Anonymous said...

When I was taking Kung Fu my teacher would warn me (I was the only female in the class) against kicking the men in the groin, as it wasn't a fell shot. To prove this, he would have one of the men kick him in the groin twice a year during an exhibition to prove that a person could keep going.

Even without the right parts to truly appreciate it, it made me cringe and want to cross my legs.

Hope you feel better tomorrow, Lestrade.

John H. D. Watson said...

L - I've never done a thing to your phone, I promise. It's like it reads your mind.

Pip - That is...both impressive and a very bad idea.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, ouch. I wish many ice packs for you. At least he was apologetic and sincere and is unlikely to do it again.

Interesting poll there John. I love avocado. Have been known to cut them open and eat them with a spoon. But I still don't think I would make it frosting on a cake.

Greg Lestrade said...

Piplover - my self defence instructor said the more you get kicked in the balls the less your body reacts. Didn't fancy dedicating my life to finding that out. Apparently your brain can learn to ignore the chemicals/signals?

Kholly - I only ever eat avocado with a spoon. Unless it's mashed up and put in a Bacon sandwich... I thought that was the normal way?

Danger, don't believe you re phone. Tomorrow I shall ditch all my Johnny Cash and start learning Bee Gees songs on guitar.

John H. D. Watson said...

If you do, I'll tell the internet you're mean.

kholly - I think there are other things in it, sugar and so on. Not quite sure. I hope it wouldn't just taste like avocado though. One of the mothers at Sherlock's school told me about it.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think that's what my teacher said. Also, if a person is sufficiently high on something or pumped with adrenaline, it won't be a fell shot. He always told me to kick the inner thigh, which disrupts the flow of blood to the leg and makes it unable to bear weight for about 15 minutes.

I've never, thank God, had to kick anyone before, and I hope it remains that way, but I'll always remember that lesson, that's for sure!

Becca said...

It's an Alton Brown recipe, I believe.

Anonymous said...

Around here you most often find it in guacamole, which I also love, but takes way more effort to make than just eating it with a spoon. Sometimes also on tops of salads or in sandwiches. I grew up in the northeast though and they were pretty rare so I was 20 before I had anything containing an avocado. Actually, I'm not sure if they were really rare or if I just eat at more pretentious places than my parents used to.

Bee Gees? Are you entering the punishment phase of the evening then?

X said...

Not to inspire more Sherlockian questions, but on one of my fave podcasts, Dan Savage has taken to calling whiny or overly passive and handwringing callers scrotums rather than pussies, given the, ah, extreme sensitivity of the former while the latter can (heh) take a pounding. So to speak. Ahem.

L, my sympathies. Hope that John can help make things better. Any other options for getting to work tomorrow?

X said...

Oh, and as to avocado, I tend to just slice it up and sprinkle some salt on it. Lovely. Though the sandwich shop near my work does an amazing bacon, cheese, and tomato panini with guacamole in it.

Icing... Not sure I'm on board. Though avocado doesn't have a strong flavor so maybe it would be fine? Had a piece of avocado in my vegetable tempura a few days ago. Didn't taste like anything other than tempura.

Anonymous said...

Random Anon Lurker here.

Re: avocado - I voted yes in the poll, because I'm quite the adventuresome eater, especially with the deserts. I've heard of a chocolate/pistachio cupcake with avocado icing, sounds really good. Oddly, the only things I can't stand the taste of are raw button mushrooms, bell peppers, and alcohol.

But generally, I eat my avocado sliced on toast. I can trick myself into thinking it's better for me than butter!

Thirdbird said...

Avocados do not belong anywhere near cake in my opinion. I like them best chopped up and served with scrambled eggs.

Speaking of culinary adventures, though, I meant to tell you guys that I'm very irritated I can't find Marmite anywhere in my neighborhood anymore! The one store I'd found it at has stopped carrying it. You got me all addicted to Marmite and cheddar sandwiches and now I'm bereft.

I hope Lestrade is not too damaged for use. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Avocado with soy sauce! Much better than with just salt.

Bronwyn said...

Avocado smoothies!

1 large ripe avocado
2-3 tablespoons cream or whole milk
1 Tablespoon sugar (or 1 packet artificial sweetener)
1 cup ice

Combine all in blender, frappe until smooth. Adjust milk for texture and sugar to taste, but I love them.

Mmmmmm. Avocado.
Bronwyn

Tink said...

I've been kicked down there before. Even as a girl, I can tell you it hurts like hell. The breath just gets kicked out of you and for the briefest of moments there's nothing in the world except you and the location you were kicked and then the rest of the world rushes in and it hurts even more and... you know what? I'm cringing just thinking about it.

Get well soon Greg!

John, I hope everything is better by morning :D Also, those clouds are gorgeous. Where did you take the picture?

Greg Lestrade said...

Significantly better already, thanks Tink. I think it's as much the initial shock as anything.


I shall just be careful today!

Greg Lestrade said...

Kholly - Bee Gees reference purely because of the high pitched nature of my voice, now Sherlock has crushed my fundamentals. You can tell by the way I walk my walk....

I like the sound of avocado icing. Except it might be a bit sweet.

Anon Without A Name said...

Lestrade - thanks for the link - now I know why, the last time I saw someone kicked in the balls, he turned green.

Small Hobbit said...

It appears to have been yet another case of tears before bedtime.

Sherlock said...

I thought he was dying because I was murdering him by hitting him with a pillow, and he's really good at dying with all the proper groaning and collapsing and stuff, but then he started crying and he's never done that before because dead bodies don't cry but I didn't mean to hurt him, except for the murdering bit but even that wasn't meant to hurt, just make him dead.

Anonymous said...

Sherlock, how are you posting? Aren't you at school?

Lestrade... owwwwwww in sympathy!

Must admit I used a knee in the spot as a teen!

Git pinned me to a wall hoping for I'm not sure what... I pulled my skirt up trying for seductive rather than homicidal (school skirt was regulation tight pencil so no range of movement) and let fly

eyes cross and drop - not one person reported me as all thought he deserved it!

You did not though... hope ride was not too bad!

Kira
xoxo

Sherlock said...

I am at school but I'm allowed because I'd finished my work and I asked and Mrs T said I could go on the computer until she was ready to give me more and now we're allowed to choose what to do because it's Friday and I've chosen painting so I'm waiting for her to set up the paints and we're doing it outside because it's sunny and I'm going to find a bug to paint.

Anonymous said...

Sherlock, it sounds like you're having a good day at school! Will you share your painting if you find a good bug to paint?

Also, I'm sure Lestrade knows you didn't meant to hurt him. I've done similar things while having pillow fights and such, where an elbow or foot goes where it shouldn't. I bet he'll really enjoy it if you give him a very gentle hug when you see him!

Greg Lestrade said...

John you are....utterly ridiculous, but I love you for it. Although 'Get well soon' may be a little late. I believe I am already fairly well. Just being careful and not crossing my legs...

And everyone keeps making comments about secret admirers. Apart from Sally who hasn't stopped laughing long enough to comment at all.

But they've brightened up my office and my day, so thank you.

Bronwyn said...

Awww. Did you get flowers at work?
Bronwyn

John H. D. Watson said...

L - it seemed an appropriate sentiment. ;)

Bronwyn - he did, multicolored roses, and no one look up what the colors mean please because I didn't. Just thought they'd be cheerful.

Greg Lestrade said...

Pretty certain these exact colours in this combination mean 'sorry you had your balls squashed, I'd probably still love you even if you were a eunuch.'

But the wiki entry doesn't seem to have that meaning...

John H. D. Watson said...

Wikipedia is editable, isn't it? We should put that one in.

Greg Lestrade said...

Ha. Get Mycroft onto it.

You enjoying the sun again?

John H. D. Watson said...

Yes, though I'm not sure Snoopy (Mrs Turner's dog) is. He keeps trying to lie down in the shade while Sherlock's trying to walk him.

Greg Lestrade said...

Ha. I might be rather like that when you take me for a run. You'll have to buy me a leash. ;)

Anonymous said...

My dog does that: I am hot I will stop here. As she's old now and has a heart condition I always let her set the pace. But it makes me a bit sad because when she was younger she used to out run me every time.

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm old. Danger sometimes lets me set the pace... :)

John H. D. Watson said...

Sherlock's having to be more patient with Snoopy than he is in setting the pace with either of us. He's not that old but he is a basset hound and they're not exactly filled with get up and go.

kholly - that is sad, but we all slow down eventually. I'm sure she's enjoying the walks now as much as the faster ones she used to manage.

L - are we going for a walk/run/wander when you get home?

John H. D. Watson said...

Tink - not sure where I took the picture, but somewhere in London, it's since we got home. Not bad for a camera phone.

Desert Wanderer said...

Slow and steady, Lestrade? Enough to get your heartrate up and make you breathe hard, but not too much to make you peter out too soon? Or are you more of a sprinter?

Greg Lestrade said...

He always makes my heart pound, DW. As for slow and steady or not...that would depend on the occasion! Both have their merits.

Anyway, maybe it's him petering out, sometimes ...

I'm going to try and leave...now, in fact, Danger. So we could.

What sort of dog would you be, Danger?

John H. D. Watson said...

The way I'm constantly riding herd on Sherlock? Probably a sheepdog. You?

Greg Lestrade said...

It's me you....oh, sorry, thought it said 'hard'.

Er...mongrel? Dunno. People have made many comparisons between my eyes and those of a puppy of indeterminate breed.

Id like to think weimaraner or something. At least they're grey, like me.

Small Hobbit said...

You mean possessing qualities of intelligence, companionship and beauty? Or a scruffy mutt with big soleful eyes?

Greg Lestrade said...

Don't know what they meant, SH. Liable to chew the furniture and not properly housetrained?

Desert Wanderer said...

What about a beagle?
http://behlerblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/f_documentm_2d2654f.jpg?w=320&h=305

From wikipedia:
"The Beagle has an even temper and gentle disposition. Described in several breed standards as "merry", they are amiable and generally neither aggressive nor timid. They enjoy company, and although they may initially be standoffish with strangers, they are easily won over."

John H. D. Watson said...

I always liked beagles.

Greg Lestrade said...

That for Danger? Sounds like him. They're quite short, too, aren't they? Haha.

Mrs H would have to knit it a doggy jumper though.

Sherlock could be a dark labradoodle.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, labradoodle: smart, friendly, and energetic.

Mine is poodle/bichon: smart and happy all the time.

Dottie said...

Just popping in to tell you that the team on 'Eggheads' today was called 'The Avacado Appreciation Society' and it made me think of this blog :)

John H. D. Watson said...

That for Danger? Sounds like him.

I thought she meant for you!

Dottie - ha, nice. I wonder if there's an avocado appreciation society at Harrow. They seem to have clubs for just about everything else.

Desert Wanderer said...

I did indeed mean you, Lestrade. It clearly wasn't John as beagles don't have blue eyes.

John H. D. Watson said...

Ha. Short indeed.

German shepherd maybe, for L. I met a few in Afghanistan, trained to find IEDs. Wonderful dogs.

Greg Lestrade said...

I don't feel beagle-like. I don't think.

I'll stick with mongrel.

Ria said...

Maybe a border collie for L-- cute, nice hair, hard-working, fiercely loyal, and good at herding things that don't want to be herded?

Greg Lestrade said...

Ha, you're very kind.

St Bernard for Danger? Good at rescuing people, cuddles and just a bit slobbery? ;)

(he did bring me alcohol last night in my hour of need)

John H. D. Watson said...

And not short.

Greg Lestrade said...

You could be a short one...they must exist.

John H. D. Watson said...

I'm pretty sure they only come in one size: large. And I don't drool! See if you get any more booze from this keg round my neck.

Greg Lestrade said...

Well, large compared to you... that's not necessarily that big to the rest of us...

Do drool.

Want me to give you a tummy rub?

John H. D. Watson said...

Nothing's that large compared to the dogs of war.

In bed?

Greg Lestrade said...

True.

Not sure you're allowed on the furniture...

John H. D. Watson said...

Not sure you can jump up on the bed, with those short little beagle legs.

Greg Lestrade said...

Medium sized, Wiki says.

Don't slip up on your slobber...

John H. D. Watson said...

I still think German shepherd fits you better. Maybe one of the all grey ones... I mean white.

Are you going to work tomorrow? Want to do something?

Greg Lestrade said...

You make me sound like an albino.

Way I see it is if I have to choose between going grey or bald, I'll choose grey every time.

Not working. Well...have some paperwork, but brought it home. So yes.

What did you want to do? Walkies? Fetch? I could try to teach you a new trick?

John H. D. Watson said...

Dunno, do I get a treat after?

And you had better not be suggesting I am losing my hair, because I'm not.

Greg Lestrade said...

I know! I wasn't. Just saying that's how I look at it. You're not even getting grey, which is clearly unfair.

You would indeed get a treat, if you're obedient and don't pull on your leash, sniff anyone's bum or chase innocent ducks/squirrels.

John H. D. Watson said...

Okay! Good. It's completely fair.

What about guilty ducks/squirrels?

Greg Lestrade said...

How is it fair???

Guilty ones are fine.

To be honest it's the bum sniffing I'm far more concerned about...

Come on, I'll let you kip on the bed. And give you a tummy rub. Just try and keep your drool lake to yourself. And don't dream about digging people out of snow and shred the fnug.

John H. D. Watson said...

Just is!

I feel pretty safe in promising not to sniff anyone's bum. Also maybe swimming if it stays this warm?

Greg Lestrade said...

The way Sherlock s going you'll be snowy white soon.

Yeah, swimming sounds good. Don't shake over everyone after though.

John H. D. Watson said...

I'm more worried about Mycroft dating to be honest.

Yeah, yeah. Come here so I can slobber on you.

Anonymous said...

What kind of dog sucks its paws? That would tell us what type of dog Danger is.

Lindsay said...

See, I picture John as the border collie- tenacious, fiercely protective, a bit...diminutive. O:-)

L- how 'bout a Rottweiler? Like cops, they get a bad rap in certain circles, but they are extremely good-natured, steady, focused, and courageous. "According to the AKC, Rottweilers ... may behave in a clownish manner toward family and friends, but they are also protective of their territory and do not welcome strangers until properly introduced."

Also I am not sure how common it is any more, but Rottweilers have been used in police work in their home country for the past century :)

Greg Lestrade said...

I did think about saying that, Azure. But he's close enough to bite me.

Lindsay - rotty is better than a beagle!

Cmon Danger, bed. Lie down roll over...good boy. Hah.

Anon Without A Name said...

*studiously does not mention Jack Russells*

Anonymous said...

*does the same for corgis*

Bronwyn said...

From what I've heard, dogs who lose/are taken from their mothers too early as pups can suck on things (paws, tails, etc.) as a comfort mechanism. My grandmother's schnauzer seems to bear that out as his mother was hit by a car when he was very small and he sucked his front paws for his entire life.

Also, I just love schnauzers. They are highly intelligent, active dogs much like terriers, but without the terrier high-strung natures. They tend to be kinder, more easily trained and integrated dogs. I adore the black and black/gray ones.

Toodles,
Bronwyn

Desert Wanderer said...

What about Mycroft? Something sleek, intelligent, friendly. Great Dane, maybe?

Anonymous said...

Or maybe a Doberman for Mycroft. We had one growing up and he was the smartest, most beautiful dog ever. Loyal, protective, intelligent, and friendly.

Greg Lestrade said...

Well, whatever he is Danger is well trained. Didn't pee on the rug last night. Although he did chew my shoes...

He's a good swimmer though, even with Sherlock hanging into him for a ride.

Can you believe it's October and it's one of the best days we've had all summer.

John H. D. Watson said...

You only like it because it's October. If it were July you'd say it was too hot.

Greg Lestrade said...

It's brilliant weather. Not too hot, not too breezy. And I'm not at work, which makes all the difference.

Italy was too hot. Although the evenings were nice.

X said...

I'd suggest a Westie (West Highland White terrier) for John. They're Scottish, for one, small, very laid back but incredibly defensive of their family, great with kids... We had ours for 15 years, and he was hugged, had his tail and ears tugged, and everything two young girls can inflict on a dog, and took it very calmly.

He also used to lick his paws. ;)

I don't picture Sherlock as a dog at all. He seems much more cat-like, aside for his propensity to get as creatively dirty as possible.

Heh, though creatively dirty in the literal sense, unlike Lestrade, master of innuendo.

Post a Comment